Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

All you tell them is that to work for you doing the job we have out lined I would expect a salary of $x. Aim a bit higher than what you are willing to take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

interrodactyl posted:

The reason why people claim that your first salary anchors all future salaries is because they subscribe to ideas like this.

This is somewhat true though if you stay at the same company for a long time. If you do a bad job negotiating and make 5-10k less than another guy at the same position it will be very hard to catch up with similar performance.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Obviously you have to leave jobs to make a big jump. Tons of people get content or afraid to leave though and get stuck at lower wages.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

oye como va posted:

Definitely don't take the first offer. I just accepted an offer and I rejected their first proposal. I asked them for 15% more but was really looking for about 9% more - which is what I got.

Overall, I'm making 20% more than my current salary and I couldn't be happier.

However, if my current job matches or offers more, should I go back to the new employer with that offer? Is that kosher?

You already accepted the offer, it probably is not going to make you look good to try for more money. If your current employer matches and you back out at the new place you are really burning that bridge to the ground.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Mutar I am surprised how high the offer was. Here you would be taking a $10-15k paycut (yearly) but pick up insurance, vacation, 401k, bonus, etc.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Evil SpongeBob posted:

I'd love to hear stories or advice on negotiating benefits as opposed to salary. Like relocation, hiring bonus, etc.

Benefits can be tricky. A lot of companies have set rules for many of them. Unless you have crazy experience or are gods gift to humanity it can be impossible to break them.

Relocation is pretty easy but it depends how they do it. My last job change I got a check after tax. They offered $5k and I basically just did a quick break down on what it will actually cost and the tax on the amount of money and proceed I needed more, ended up with $10k.

Signing bonuses Some places offer it straight up but you can always ask. My last change they told me it was against policy, but I basically messed with the numbers to roll a $2.5k into the moving expenses.

If a place will not budge on vacation ask if you can buy or sell vacation. I wanted an additional week but they couldn't do it, hr policy. My boss was able to bump the salary an additional $2.5k so I could buy that vacation time (although I ended just taking the money).

Really once you have the offer break it down with what you come back with. Base salary, benefits, transition costs. Ask for whatever you want, the worse that happens is they say no. Breaking it into groups allows you to reach agreements in each area and still have a back in forth on others.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

You tell them your max you want to see and work from there. Something like 'I would expect to make $X based on the responsibilities of the position'. They may offer you less and you can go from there.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

When your interview is over at company D ask them what the timeline is on deciding to make you an offer or not. If they say anything longer then 2 days you need to tell them you have other offers on the table that you will need to decide on. You can't let company D take forever deciding or things will get interesting with A,B,C. Don't tell them how much the offers are though.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Did you miss the post where he described that he had already gone back to them with a 'make me an offer' comment and they've now stated twice that he needs to provide some sense of expectations? Your points are all valid for an opening discussion but at some point you need to be willing to put a stake in the ground if you want to move things forward. You run a serious risk of the company just telling you to gently caress off by trying to be too cute. If you're indifferent to who you work for then you can play it tougher but be prepared to lose the offer. In this case it was pretty clear that he viewed the job as a significant upgrade even with a salary cut, so would probably be disappointed by losing the offer through playing it too tough.

Agreed. He said 50 was his sweet spot so he is leaving room still. Also they could always offer more, some companies are not crap and just low ball everyone. (I said I needed about $70 to move across the country a couple years ago and got $75 so it happens)

At some point I'd you want the job you can't be all coy anymore.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

That is true so I guess what we are saying is you have to read the situation and decide what is best for you (great advice I know).

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Otto Skorzeny posted:

They're 20% lower than what you want and 11% lower than the minimum you'd accept. Given how large that gap is how they played hardball about giving out a number first, you almost certainly aren't going to negotiate them up meaningfully. Send them a brief but polite email declining their offer, imo.

Don't decline the offer. Come back at $55 and see what they do. Don't just give up, who cares how big the gap is. Be honest about what you think the responsibilities of the job dictate for pay. They will either say 45 or come up some. If not then take it or walk away.

E:I am bad at typing

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 20, 2014

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Here is the response I gave at my last job negotiation (I work at this place now):

Thank you for extending an offer for a position with ____. I have outlined some things that I would like considered for the offer and a few items that I need better clarified.

Clarifications:

Relocation: I am not clear on how this is handled. Is it a lump sum amount for $7500, reporting on actual expenses for tax purposes, or actual reimbursement of expenses up to a $7500 limit? If it is the latter It would be helpful to see what are qualified expenses and what are not.

Bonus Structure: We talked about this on the phone but I didn't see it detailed anywhere. I want to confirm what bonus pool I would fall in with this position.

Review/Raises: When are reviews held and how are they tied to raises? Yearly from my start date or some other criteria? What is the pay ceiling of my hiring grade?

Advancement: Within the group that you manage how are the levels structured (engineer II, III, IV, etc) and what is the job advance available in the next 3 years?

Items for Consideration:

Signing Bonus: I would like to see a signing bonus based on the bonus pool I would fall in for the 2011 calender year.

PTO: I would like to start with 5 days (40 hours) of PTO.

PTO Accrual Schedule: I would like my start date to be the beginning of my 4th year of service (3 years post graduate + 2 internships).

Although contingent on a background screening I was looking at a start date around November 7th. Thank you again for your interest in me. To discuss the above please give me a call at ____.

So that might help out. I wouldn't go for pity BTW.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Did you just read what happened? Ask for more and see what they say. Post more details if you want specific advice. Make sure you are good with all the other benefits as well

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Hand of the King posted:

With all this negotiating, I figure, you're in a less favorable situation when dealing with an internal job transition considering they know how much I already make?

Where I work if you go up a grade it is 10% that's it. A lateral is 4% max.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

^depends on what you started at and the industry I would guess

Hand of the King posted:

drat. My fiancee and I both work at the same company and she got a 23% bump after going one grade level up when she transferred to current position. She didn't bother negotiating because it was well above what she was expecting.

If I'm offered this position, I want to ask for more, but I figure they're just going to laugh at me and tell me it's non-negotiable.

Regulated utility so.... But 10% raise is pretty sweet based on what I am paid (just got promoted in December)

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 24, 2014

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

My friends and I have found this calculator pretty spot on.

http://money.cnn.com/calculator/pf/cost-of-living/

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Don't give a range. Give your high point.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Don't give a range. Just your high number. They know they can at least get you to the bottom number and maybe lower.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Sounds fine and really pretty normal. Maybe a bit weird since you already told them what you want but that didn't scare them off so I wouldn't worry too much.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

80% actually sounds pretty high to me. People here usually go down about 70-75% now that they get vacation, insurance, 401k, bonus, etc.

E: And yup I am bad at reading.... Sorry bout that.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 12:34 on May 14, 2014

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

A weeks vacation will cost a lot more than just the pay. Typically it is easier to get money instead of time off.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Xandu posted:

I hate to recommend against negotiating, but I've got a feeling in this case you are very replaceable as a recent grad without relevant experience. They gave you some room with the talk of re-evaluating at the 90 day mark, I'd personally hold them to it and use your early performance as a way to justify why you deserve $13 an hour, or potentially even more.

This is what I would have done.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I doubt this will take off but pretty interesting article on a company where everyone knows all the salaries.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2014/07/02/327758712/the-company-where-everyone-knows-everyone-elses-salary

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

systran posted:

I just interviewed for a job at a public university. The job listing said "minimum $40,000" for the salary. All the salaries were listed online for everyone who worked there, and the two people in the same position as the one I applied for are making $43,000. One of them has only been there for a year or so, so I am assuming that is the generic starting salary. If I am offered the job and it goes into salary negotiations, should I ask for $45,000 knowing they will probably counter offer $43,000? Should I just say straight up I know $43,000 is the standard and that I want to make that? I don't really think there's any chance I will get higher than that, and it's not common to just be able to google future co-workers' salaries like this. If I were going in blind I would probably ask for $45,000 and hope for around $43,000 anyway.

My wife's experience with this exact situation was basically no negotiation. But good luck.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

systran posted:

Did they offer her what the other people were making or something lower?

Exactly the same, everyone made $40k there were 3 people who all started the same year. This was at university of Colorado.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

KernelSlanders posted:

Isn't the flip side of that that you end up wasting a lot of your time? I understand the game theory behind not wanting to make the first offer, but at the talking to recruiter stage, especially if they came to you, what's wrong with saying "I will not respond to offers below [current salary plus 25%]. Is that in line with your client's expectations?" I understand at the very high end (e.g., promotion from chocolate teapot maker to executive vp of chocolate teapots) there might be some disadvantage to that, but I'd imagine the recruiters for a position like that aren't going to bother asking what your salary expectation is.

I have been hounded by recruiters on linkedin lately and I have been talking to one. I am not really looking for a job but for the right money and location who knows. So I told him that for at least $120K I would listen.

HonorableTB posted:

If I've made it to the interview stage where the company is flying me out to do a day-long session of on-site interviews (a 3000 mile plane trip), what would you all say my chances are of getting an offer? The company contacted me first (I didn't apply), I made it through two phone interviews (including where they realized I wasn't the right person for the position they offered and went out of their way to find me a more suitable role), and now I'm flying to do the interviews tomorrow. I'm very nervous about this but also hopeful because these are good signs.

Depends on the company but it is a pretty good sign if they fly you out. The job I have now my boss told me recently that he flew me and another guy out he hired just to make sure we were not crazy idiots who duped him on the phone. Our interview was literally an hour long and we just had coffee and talked salary.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Xandu posted:

I wouldn't push too much if they won't budge, same hourly rate plus benefits and a permanent job is pretty good. You can try to go around them and talk to your current boss, but he may just refer you back to HR.

I agree that the same rate plus benefits is pretty good, actually surprising. A lot of people at my work are hired as contractors and then a few years later as a permanent. They usually take a pretty decent pay cut when this happens.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

FrozenVent posted:

A lot of managers feel the need to artificially rate people lower so that they can show improvement on their next review. There could also be an unspoken rule that nobody gets a perfect mark, ever.

Both practices are dumb as hell, but hey.

We get a grade from 1-5 on a bunch of goals and basically 95% of people get a 2.6-3.4 which gives you a 3 overall. To get a 5 you basically have to work your rear end off. This year I am shooting for a 4 as I have been super burnt out on some stuff involving work. But I got a 5 the last 2 years which is why I am burnt out.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

asur posted:

Get one, or have enough in savings to move? A significant number of companies do lump sum relo and getting the money at the first paycheck is what occurs in my experience.

This is completely normal practice. Your case is in no way special HTB.

skipdogg posted:

Amazon has a brilliant idea there... Import qualified employees from low cost of living areas with what they think is a great salary, and then they have to work for you for at least a year, unless they want to pay back a relo bonus you know they can't afford to pay back because 66K a year in Seattle is like making 46K in an normal cost of living area. After the first year the 10K 2nd year bonus is there keeping you around, and then going into your 3rd year the sweet sweet allure of vested stock options keeps you around for another 2 years.

Modern day indentured servitude. Awesome.

Or you just say no and take another job (or no job). No one is making anyone work there.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

My opinion is you are being too emotional. Don't explain all that poo poo out. Just counter with:

Salary: 75,000
Signing Bonus: Upfront to help me move (there is probably no way this will ever happen but good luck)

No one gives a poo poo about your translations about cost of living and what you said you expected for salary.

Just lay out the facts and what you need to move and see where they come back at you.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Oct 2, 2014

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Chaotic Flame posted:

That is true, though I took that approach and was met with a "not allowed to disclose the range" from several of them. Didn't try with all though.

Sorry, I should have clarified that these are all internal recruiters. I wouldn't have an issue giving out a range for a third party recruiter since they work for you and get paid based on your eventual salary, right?

Yes, the more you make the more they make is how it usually works.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Salary is negotiable based on base pay, bonus pay, and benefits package.

You sound good and the ball is in their hands.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Director in my experience. It usually goes like this where I have been and places I work with directly. Take out layers for small companies.

Individual contributor
Supervisor
Manager
Director (sometimes a couple layers)
VP
SVP
C-level
CEO

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I agree. Go in and kick rear end. Then just tell your manager, look, I kick rear end. Get a big raise. IF you find a better job for way more money then be ready to move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Our reviews are in December, we find out about raises and bonuses in March. I would just ask people who have been around a few years as I am sure they know.

• Locked thread