Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
asur
Dec 28, 2012
Agree with the poster above about not telling them. There is no reason for them to know and there isn't anything shady about not giving your salary.

I haven't taken an in depth look at salaries on glassdoor, but just from a glance the numbers they give seem to be high for junior engineers. I'm not sure if there is a good way to break it out by experience, but if there is not then the salary is going to correlate to average experience in that position and thus if you have less experience, which a couple of years is going to fall into, then lowering the salary by 5-10% may be more accurate. Of course you should always shoot high when negotiating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asur
Dec 28, 2012

liz posted:

I have an interview tomorrow and they've asked me to bring in my W-2 from the previous year. I've never been asked this before, but can you tell me why this is such a huge terrible thing?

It entirely cuts out negotiations for your salary as they know exactly what you currently make and thus what they can offer to make you consider changing jobs. I guess if you already know that they're going to offer you less and some other factors are the reason you want the job, then cutting out the negotiations isn't terrible, but I think it also tells you a lot about the company. If the company is going to try to pay the absolute minimum when they hire you then they're also probably going to do the same in other aspects like raises, vacations, health benefits, etc.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

EgonSpengler posted:

You have a good argument, but what about this situation?

You are interviewing for a company that wants to hire you, but your current salary is higher than what they expect to pay. You don't want to take a pay cut, and need to raise their expectations. In that situation providing the information could work in your favor, at least in my mind. The company knows you aren't likely to go below a certain line, in fact they know if they don't come up that high they won't be able to hire you. They also know they need to sweeten it, and it raises the floor from what they were previously thinking.

Johnny Sack is correct. While in theory it should make no difference when you mention it, the vast majority of people will be reluctant to have wasted all the time and money even though it's a sunk cost and thus your more likely to get them to match your previous salary.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Harry posted:

How badly do you want the switch? It's rare, but offers do occasionally get pulled.

Do you really want to work for a company that pulled an offer because you tried to negotiate? That seems like huge red flag to me.

I believe that 401k match is required by law to be consistent among employee bands . I would just ask for a larger base salary.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

OldHansMoleman posted:

Charge at least the loaded rate at your new job not just the hourly salary. So like $100+ probably.

This. They don't have to pay their side of FICA*, and any benefits so you can charge an hourly rate of between 1.25 and 1.5 times what your salary would work out to and it will cost the company about the same amount as paying a salary employee. I would recommend going higher because you have valuable knowledge and there's an annoyance factor of having to work on your own time, but that's up to you.

*Remember that as an independent contractor you have to pay both sides of FICA, actually a different act as self employed but the amount is the same, about 7.65%.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
It sounds to me like the reason you'd be hard to replace is because they are paying peanuts. In my experience, most people overestimate how easy the are to replace if the company is willing to pay the market rate.

I also agree with Otto Skorzeny and others in the thread, that getting an offer and using it as leverage to get a raise is a generally a bad idea. If you can't have an honest conversation with your boss about your compensation and your value to the business, then you should go just take the other job.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
I don't necessarily agree with Dwight. You only have good leverage if they didn't find a candidate to fill the more senior position and want you to fill it with the lower title. The issue is that you probably don't if this has occurred or if they decided to hire you in the junior position in addition to someone in the senior role.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
There is no way for you to actually know any of that unless you're an internal hire and asking if you're allowed to negotiate has no upside. If a firm pulls an offer because you attempted to negotiate then you don't want to work there and if you happen to be in the specific case where losing the offer would be catastrophic then I'd just recommend that you not negotiate to begin with.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
I would let him try to convince you just because it will probably make him feel better for trying and you don't have anything to lose by hearing his pitch.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

etalian posted:

Would rather candidate A who doesn't have the skillset for all the job requirements but worked for a long time at the previous company?

Or would rather higher candidate B who matches all the requirements because he worked at multiple companies and also avoided career stagnation?

Job hopping is only bad IMO if you don't have the improved skillset, experience or glowing references to show for it.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/learnvest/2013/05/09/are-you-a-serial-job-hopper/

I like how you link an article where third paragraph says that 40% of employers regard job hopping as the single biggest obstacle for job seekers and every single story they give agrees with that.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Maybe someone else can chime in here as this may be bad advice, but I think I would send an email to the HR person saying that the offer is not acceptable and the follow up with the COO. You don't have anything to lose by talking to them and they specifically said they wanted you. I've yet to see a company where high level executives can't override an HR decision if they choose to. Of course, you may want to consider what the lowball offer means in terms of raises and working conditions, but I don't really see a downside to at least following up.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Ask for more than you want so there is room for them to counter below what you asked for. I would also expect to get less than 43k if the person has been there a year though there are a ton of factors that could influence that.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

MickeyFinn posted:

It seems like you are either paid way above industry standard or are way over qualified for this position or the company and recruiter are fishing for chumps.

You can't use CoLA for expected salaries. Places with high CoLA almost always highly desirable places to live so companies can pay somewhat less (or you could say the opposite, but the outcome is the same). I'd expect done bump, especially if the difference is large, but something between 10% and 20%. Salary sites should be able to give you a pretty good idea of what to expect and you can also look at the GS pay scale adjustments for an idea.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Blotto Skorzany posted:

Did you read the part where this was a DC job? Incidentally, 85k is poo poo for a programmer in DC unless you're in a really bad subfield or a fresh grad.

Not sure how you got programmer, but just for reference the average salary of a senior SW eng in DC is 100k. That's 17% more than 85k and in the range I gave. Probably tack on another 10-15k for switching jobs, but that still leaves him pretty far short of 140k.

I'm not trying to say that a huge jump in salary is impossible, just trying to point out that it's not going to come from CoLA barring unusual circumstances.

Average salary pulled from salary.com SW Eng 3 band.

Edit: I also agree that at 85k the company in question is definitely low balling, but I believe that the company was mentioned earlier as a company that pays below market.

asur fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Sep 26, 2014

asur
Dec 28, 2012
I would ask about benefits and relocation before specifying a number. It's entirely possible that both exist for the position, but weren't mentioned.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Even if the new employer provides you with an offer, they can rescind that at any time.

This is true, but for most large corporations it's going to be much harder to fire someone once they're employed than to do do midway through the hiring process.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
You should probably still attempt to negotiate on salary, however I think most of your concerns can't be answered by HR. I would try to talk to the manager you would be under about hours, expectations and the reason for the switch from hourly to salaried with an identical salary.
You can put moving expenses on a credit card if necessary.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Get one, or have enough in savings to move? A significant number of companies do lump sum relo and getting the money at the first paycheck is what occurs in my experience.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

spwrozek posted:

My opinion is you are being too emotional. Don't explain all that poo poo out. Just counter with:

Salary: 75,000
Signing Bonus: Upfront to help me move (there is probably no way this will ever happen but good luck)

No one gives a poo poo about your translations about cost of living and what you said you expected for salary.

Just lay out the facts and what you need to move and see where they come back at you.

Agree with this. The company doesn't care about 90% of what you wrote. You can either go with just countering as suggested or place yourself in the companies perspective and argue that you bring more value because of X, Y, and Z and thus should be compensated more. I would also ask about the transition between hourly and salaried as that seemed like a big concern and you lose a lot leaving at 1 or 2 years because of the vesting schedules.

Edit: I'm not certain of salary ranges for this type of position, but if you're going to counter on salary I'd start higher than $4k to leave room for them to counter back. This is at the original counter of $70k, $75k as suggest by spwrozek is good.

asur fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 2, 2014

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Not a Children posted:

I just got a LinkedIn message detailing a position and I'm quite interested in checking out the company. They say to send my resume and "salary requirements. " What's the right move here? My instincts say to throw out a moderately pie-in-the-sky figure, but I don't want to scare them off by quoting something too high. I currently make 65k, plus overtime and tuition reimbursement. I was thinking I'd shoot for $75k. Should I mention explicitly that I'm being compensated for school? I'm excited for the opportunity, but I don't want to blow things before I even get in for an interview.

I would reccomend deflecting unless you're sure you know the range they will pay. You can do so in multiple ways, by stating that you believe both of you can agree on a reasonable salary, that it depends on the exact job you'd be doing, or that it depends on the benefits package.

Mary loving Poppins: If the agreement actually matters to you, you should consult a lawyer.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
You definitely should attempt to negotiate salary when you get promoted as it's one of the few times you can get a large raise. I wouldn't expect to make the average in that position as the company will take the stance that you don't have the same experience as the average person in that position as you are just being promoted and in most cases you don't have a lot of leverage. One advantage you probably have is knowing the salary range of the position.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Easychair Bootson posted:

I've got a question that isn't about an offer per se, but this seems like a fitting place to ask. I've been offered a new job with a start date of Monday, January 5. My current company requires 2 weeks notice to remain in good standing (eligible for rehire, etc.). They also reserve the right to can me on the spot when I turn in my leave, but I doubt that they would. Even if they do it's survivable from a financial perspective, although it would suck.

What should I tell them my last day is? I'm a non-exempt full time employee who works a typical M-F schedule plus occasional weekends as needed. Do I tell them on Mon 12/22 that my last day is Sun 1/4? My concern is that they might not want to pay me for a few days of a new pay period, including Jan 1 (company holiday) and Jan 3-4 (weekend) and simply tell me that my last day is Dec 31.

Do I tell them on Dec 17 that my last day is Dec 31 and eat the 4 days' salary? I'm not sure how that would impact my health insurance, either.

What do you have to lose be telling them on the 22nd? Maybe I'm not understanding the difference, but it seems like there is no downside to telling them on the 22nd and the upside is that you may get paid for more days.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
A public to private transition would expect s large bump in pay. Another offer would be best, but if you know what private salaries normally you could use that.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
You should almost always negotiate and if you've been an intern for a year and a half I think you have a pretty argument that you shouldn't come in at the bottom of the pay scale. If you want more leverage however as mentioned numerous times in this thread you need to be able to walk away which normally means you already have a job or you have another offer.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
You should be able to get a decent guess of what that specific firm will pay using glassdoor for the specific position.

Regardless I would recommend that you put down a number that is slightly higher than what you'd be happy with. If you're not happy with your salary then you're pretty much setting yourself up to leave.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
If your company does not link performance reviews to annual raises then you need to push for one yourself.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
I would just ask then. There isn't anything wrong with following up on something he said and if they link performance reviews and raises then they should also tell you if you received no raise, at least my company will.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Are you looking for a major increase? If you want more than probably 10%, you're going to need to counter with a number. If you know your old boss well enough to ask him what he made when he first started that would give you a lot of insight into how much the company pays.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
You should try to egotists, but I would guess that all that stuff is spelled out in the union contract.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Do not ask to negotiate. There is definitely room to negotiate on benefits, salary is a little iffy as mentioned.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Either put zero or the highest number as anything else handicaps you before you start.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Ask them to start on X date and don't mention a reason unless they ask.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

oxsnard posted:

Just read through this whole thread this week. I have a phone screen/initial interview on monday with an extraordinarily large chemical company for a job in texas. I have a job in oil/gas and make a pretty nice salary now. I like my work but this seemed like a good opportunity. Given the job market in Texas right now I'm reasonable confidant I could get a 10k raise no problem. Problem is that in order to justify moving I'd need something in the 20k range which might be on the upper end of possibility for my speciality (environmental engineering).

What number should I throw out when they invariably ask? Again I don't need the job so I'm mostly in shoot for the moon territory here

You should try to avoid the question if at all possible. If you do need to give a number then you should give one that is higher than what you want, so above 20k, since you'll be expected in most cases to come down from the starting number. You also should try to figure out what sort of salary to expect either from online sites (glassdoor, etc) or network contacts.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

potee posted:

Any thoughts/experience on how to handle salary talks when transferring to a different job in the same company?

I'm in a "people leave managers, not companies" situation, so I did some informal, then formal, interviews for what would be a move up to a Senior role in a different department (different office even) and everything went better than expected (they scheduled 4 people for my technical presentation, I wound up with an audience of 15 :stare:). Given the conversations I had with the recruiter and the department heads, I wouldn't be surprised if it went forward.

It would be a $15K bump to get me up to the Glassdoor average for my city, which I don't think is unreasonable given the shift in responsibilities (and it's also a number that would make me a very happy camper), but it's not like my current salary is a mystery, and while I didn't say anything I'm sure the recruiter knows I don't want to stay in my current department. Basically, I'm feeling vulnerable to a lowball.

If your company pays around average then you're going to need to be able to make the argument that you should get paid the average even though your new to the role.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
The company doesn't really care about COLA so bringing it up is at best irrelevant and given that they give you a COLA adjustment benefit is probably a negative. I think it would be much more persuasive to argue for an increase because the new job is more advanced, I'm assuming that means more responsibility. I would also recommend that you ask for more than 3k if you're at the bottom of the salary range and it would be helpful if you had at the very least salary comparisons for the new city.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Do you have increases responsibilities compared to your last raise or when you were hired? If so I'd based the negotiation on that. Anything that comes close to pay me or I'll leave doesn't work if you don't have another offer and even if you do it may come back to bite you later. I don't know where you work, but I think you're also under estimating how easy it is for a manager to tank a transfer.

asur fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 16, 2015

asur
Dec 28, 2012
I think disclosing is advantageous in this case, unless they expect you to take a pay cut, as it shows that the maximum salary is a minimal raise. I would not give total compensation as the public sector job likely has better benefits and then they could use the total compensation numbers as a way to attempt to justify a lower salary. If they push back on vacation, I'd definitely bring up that you had 3 weeks at your previous position.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
I'd take the promotion at company A while still looking for a new job. It's such a big step up in salary with a promotion that will give you leverage when looking for a new job. If they can't easily replace you, as you said, then the risk is low, but it seems unlikely that all the issues with the job will go away.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Uranium 235 posted:

I have a full-time salaried position. I work with some guys who have similar but slightly different scope of practice than me who want to get a consulting company started on the side, as a part-time thing. If they got it going, they'd like me to be on board to cover the things they can't do. I was asked by one what I thought fair compensation would be, but I've never consulted and I don't know anyone in my field personally who does, so I said I'd have to look into it.

Anyway, I think my current hourly equivalent rate would be too low, but what's typical for consultants? Current hourly equivalent rate plus 20%?

It's important to note that I wouldn't be seeking any of the work, they'd be handing it to me. That might be important to consider. There's also other people they could ask to do it.

At the time, he asked if my current hourly rate would be fair, so that's where negotiation would start.

You have to pay the other half of FICA, get no benefits, they don't have to pay much if any overhead, and they can stop giving you work whenever they want. I don't think I'd accept anything less than 2x and would probably ask for more though that in part is would be driven that I really wouldn't want to work the extra hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asur
Dec 28, 2012
A day long interview is pretty common in my experience even for junior positions.

• Locked thread