Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Xguard86 posted:

I did but for me they're already above my range so I don't have a good number to counter with since I don't really know what's reasonable. I'll have to go over the offer in detail and see.

How badly do you want the switch? It's rare, but offers do occasionally get pulled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

asur posted:

Do you really want to work for a company that pulled an offer because you tried to negotiate? That seems like huge red flag to me.

I believe that 401k match is required by law to be consistent among employee bands . I would just ask for a larger base salary.

I agree, but this is a significant raise and I don't think he put the jump in more defined figures. There's a difference between going from 20k to 50k and 90k to 120k.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I'm in the preliminary stages of this, but would like to hear your guys opinion on this. My current company is basically splitting in half and the offshoot is looking for me to be a part time controller of sorts. The initial setup will be a pain, but afterwards it shouldn't average much more than 10-15 hours a week based on how I work. They wanted to know how much I would want compensation wise for this. They aren't asking as a negotiating strong point I'm pretty sure, because they have pretty much no clue are scrambling to get this together. I'm thinking of throwing out $40000 through January, and we can go from there. I would really like this position, because while it will be a lot of work I would be creating an accounting system from scratch and will jump up career wise a couple of years since I will be managing a person or two. Does this sound like a reasonable rate? I figure a consultant coming in would be like 20,000 and then they'd have to find someone new that they would have to trust.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I don't think there's much benefit from not telling a third party recruiter what you're looking for. From the ones I've worked with on the hiring side they didn't just blurt out "he wants $x amount".

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Keep in mind that just because it's a high COL area doesn't mean pay reflects that. An accountant in Dallas isn't going to be making 50% as much as one in NY.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

These private family companies have a ton of different people to support her. As in, one CPA, one financial planner, and a lawyer. They're most likely looking for someone to handle the drudge work instead of ship them off to the $300+/hr professional.Basically, the chance of her being overwhelmed is pretty doubtful.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

cycleback posted:

Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it.

Would you explain a little more why you think consulting and taking compensation as cash + equity would be a tax nightmare?

It's not, but it's the classic combo for "ends up I owe $50,000 to the irs and only have $10,000 in my checking account help" post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Put a strike through it, not a 0. Assert your dominance.

• Locked thread