Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Fiedler posted:

Company D - Offered current salary plus 51%, signing bonus of 3.5% of current salary, signing stock award of 17.5% of current salary (vesting over 5 years), annual bonus between 10-20%, and annual stock award of between 2.5% to 11.5% of current salary (vesting over 5 years), plus cost of relocation. Since this position is not local, I have to account for an increase in cost of living. Based on online listings I could find, I anticipate the cost of housing will be 2 to 2.5 times higher in this area, but I'm not certain of the best source for information on overall cost of living differences. The sources I have found seem off. Company D is aware that I have other offers, but I have not disclosed the amounts of those offers. They are aware of my current salary.

I have a strong preference for Company D, and the offer seems reasonable in comparison with the others, when adjusted for cost of living. I feel like I've won and would like to accept their offer, but I keep coming back to the thought that I should counter their offer, because the worst probable response would be having to hear the word no, right? And if I were to counter, what would be a reasonable amount? Their offered base salary plus, say, 8k?

No, the worst response would be for them to pull the offer. It's like what was said earlier: know when you've won and accept it. Don't negotiate just to negotiate. You've got an offer from a company you want to work for, at an offer you find reasonable, with opportunities for future earnings in the form of bonuses and stock options, and they're paying for your relocation. You've not just won, you basically hit the jackpot. Accept it and be happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Not that I totally agree with SB, but I'll offer two examples...

Fresh out of undergrad, I interviewed with an education software company in a sales role. Got offered the job and was given a few days to think about it. I called back the very next day and said I had a few questions and was told nevermind, they've moved on to someone else. Apparently I was to accept the offer on the spot when they first gave it to me. Oh well.

Internal job application when I worked at a bank. Knew the hiring manager (he was my former company-assigned mentor), knew I was the second choice (first choice was a friend, who turned the job down because she was moving out of state) and knew the salary range. The offered such an extremely lowball amount, well below the offer to the first choice (similar experience, age, skills, etc.). I responded with a very reasonable counter offer, and had the whole offer pulled. I quit the bank a month later, because it's not worth it to work for a company like that.

That said, I still would never ask for permission to negotiate, nor do I fear negotiating since this has happened to me twice.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I currently work in Memphis. I applied for a position with a new company in DC, which has a significantly higher cost of living. The person who answered my application is a recruiter hired by the company, but not directly employed by them (a third party). He is badgering me about my salary requirements right off the bat. At first I said that I am looking for a competitive salary and benefits commensurate with the position and my skills and experience. He responded straight up, "Well what's your number?" Do I make up a range using info from glassdoor/salary.com? Keep parrying his requests?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

KernelSlanders posted:

Isn't the flip side of that that you end up wasting a lot of your time? I understand the game theory behind not wanting to make the first offer, but at the talking to recruiter stage, especially if they came to you, what's wrong with saying "I will not respond to offers below [current salary plus 25%]. Is that in line with your client's expectations?" I understand at the very high end (e.g., promotion from chocolate teapot maker to executive vp of chocolate teapots) there might be some disadvantage to that, but I'd imagine the recruiters for a position like that aren't going to bother asking what your salary expectation is.

I certainly worry about this. There's no info on glassdoor about salaries for this role in this company, so I don't have much to go on. Only info I could find is they pay below market rate. I make $85k now, Nerd Wallet and CNN/Money says that equates to $139k in DC. I just highly doubt this company can even come close to matching the $85k, let alone an equal salary given the cost of living. If I say current salary + 25%, I get the feeling he's going to tell me to get lost

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I pushed back to the recruiter saying I wasn't comfortable discussing salary until I had talked with the company. He responded back that he is only forwarding resumes that are within their salary range, so I said I'd be willing to consider in the range of $140k-$160k, given the cost of living difference. His response: "See, this was a valuable exercise. This position pays $85k per annum..." and that was that.

I make $85k in Memphis. $85k in DC is equivalent to $52k here; that's nearly a 40% cut in my living wage. No thank you Mr. Recruiter

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I am not a programmer. And I am not at all overpaid for my job in Memphis, I actually earn under market rate.

I get that CoL is not a good metric to compare job opportunities, but 85k for this position is considered low in Memphis, so it's asinine in DC. Micky Finn is correct, I make an average/below average salary here; average salary for this role in DC is 130k according to Glassdoor. THe company is low balling big time. I understand that DC is a desirable place to live, and I would be willing to take a pay cut. But comparing like salaries, that is a 40% cut in earnings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I understand that if you leave early, you have to repay relocation expenses. But if they fire you, do you still have to? A verbal acceptance is not a full acceptance, so at this point you are still being fired at the end of the two months, right?

• Locked thread