Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
You handled that incredibly well, much better than I would have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
If you dont want to ask for cash, ask for more vacation time or something of the sort.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I would double check how soon bonus' kick in. Is it one calendar year, plus wait till year-end for the bonus? Is it 2 years, plus the 8-month wait till year-end?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
What are you doing?

Are you a receptionist or a programmer? That will make a big difference.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Supplanter posted:

Hi, I'm a Canadian goon who actually has a job, but I'm not sure if the way they're calculating my pay is normal considering how negotiations went down.

I negotiated 46k including benefits. What my employer is doing is subtracting THEIR contribution from CPP and EI and medical from my pay and giving me $46k - CPP (employer) - EI (employer) - medical (employer) = $41k, from which I furthermore make my contributions to all three. So I'm actually listed as making $41k even though I thought I had negotiated $46k.

Is that normal?

That's pretty standard for North Korea I believe.

But definitely not normal in the States.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
If it's IT work, I haven't found a company to do specialized/skilled IT work for less than $195/hr in the last three years.

You'd be a consultant, you'd be your own company, I would charge $150/hr or so at least.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Were you willing to work for that company for $16,000 less than you currently make?

Edit: Ah, the way it was worded I thought it was $16k less than current salary. $6000 is still a huge hit to take. That's like 3 years of decent raises provided you get raises at all.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Apr 29, 2014

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

swenblack posted:

You are making a lot of assumptions here, and there's no need to swear in all caps. Stop it with the straw man arguments as well. My advice isn't to negotiate softly or "Ask for permission," it's to realistically assess the situation. Ignoring the worst possible outcome, even though it's statistically unlikely, is terrible advice. That's like telling people not to buy life insurance.

gently caress. poo poo. rear end.

You're not telling people to assess the situation, you're crying wolf about someone having a job offer rescinded because they tried to negotiate. You're in the super-minority that this has ever happened and need to leave it alone. Yes, we get it; it's technically possible. I've never heard of this ever happening in real life, and according to the thread barely anyone else has either.

drat. BITCH. gently caress.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I wouldn't tell them.

We all know how business works; someone in your company goes to the same church/is related/drinks beers on saturday with someone from the other company and they'll chat to figure out what the offer amount is and then come in just shy of it so you have to pick if you want to move companies or not.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Transmogrifier posted:

Yes, yes, I know I should have negotiated, not said my number first, etc. but I have been hunting for a permanent job for far too long and I am happy with the trade off. I can get that $55K later.

Congrats on the new job. The jump from 45,000 to 55,000 is 5 years with 4% raises consistently. Not negotiating may have just set you back 5 years. But I know the new-job-excitement so it's understandable!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Just assume you won't get that bonus for some bullshit reason like "No bonus' for anyone other than the CEO this year." or "Sorry, I know you hit your targets but we moved the goalpost without telling you."

And then if you ever do get the bonus it's great. But don't base the initial package raise percentage with the bonus included.

• Locked thread