Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deviant posted:

They exist. Apex Systems.

Oh Jesus. My friends and I have a game where we gently caress with bottom feeding, email-spamming recruiters from companies like this. I'm in UX, but about once a week I'll get a posting about a 3-month, Jr. PHP developer job across the country for 1/8th of what I make. Usually we let those go, but we like to treat the more persistent ones to belligerent, rambling, all around insulting emails that we copy each other on. Some of the recruiters are seriously terrible people.

FrozenVent posted:

As to the 90 days salary adjustment, keep in mind that a 10% raise is absolutely astonishing, so there's no way they're going to bring you up to market then if they hired you at 25k.

Really want to highlight this. I can't speak for all industries, but in the technology world, once you're working for a company, you're basically making all you ever will make without another offer in hand. Bonuses come and go with the economy, and they're pegged at a percentage of your salary, so if you start low, your bonus will be low too. Raises will only ever be a handful of percentage points a year. Stock options are generally completely worthless unless you're at hot startup or going in at an executive level. Contract-to-hire will be, at best, a lateral move.

I really can't emphasize enough how important it is to start at a salary that makes you happy. By all means, take other benefits into account when you're negotiating that last 10%, but at the end of the day if the dollar amount is not something you're satisfied with, it will not change substantially until you leave or are ready to leave for another offer. Make it count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

corkskroo posted:

I've started to write out my experiences with this scenario many times but I'm hesitant to go into too much specific detail. I was offered an exciting internal promotion that everyone in multiple layers of management was excited for me to do and explicitly told me they had no plan B and I was really their only choice. Then I was given an insulting salary that was actually a pay-cut when factoring the loss of overtime wages. I actually used the term "slap in the face" when they told it to me. I played hardball but I was told at the end of a couple of weeks of discussion that it was firm and that it was "take it or leave it." That was actually how they phrased it me even though they were proactively offering something that I didn't pursue and were supposedly trying to woo me to do to. (I mean, I appreciated the candor but still!!)

Hopefully you "left it."

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Just get a job somewhere else?

Any of the other options could work, but realistically this is your best option.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ethanfr0me posted:

Should I wait until the interview to fire back a counteroffer or send an email along the lines of "with my experience / talents I would expect to be in the $50-60k range, I'd like to get a better understanding of the overall compensation at our meeting, confident that we can reach an agreement, etc."

Don't say you're confident until you are. It sounds like you aren't really sure of yourself, so that meeting is for them to put the full court press on you and get you to sign on. I'd reply enthusiastically and state your number.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ethanfr0me posted:

I'm about to leave my current job for the new one, and my old company has asked if I would be willing to do consulting on the side since there are certain processes i've built from the ground up, and they may need assistance from time to time. What terms should I iron out with them before accepting? Should I get my current salary (divided to a per hr. rate), or are there some guidelines for doing this sort of thing?

You'll already have a separate, full time job, so you will be giving up your personal time for this work on the side. Charge them a goddamn fortune.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

MickeyFinn posted:

As a warning to people reading this thread: I did not negotiate my current job because it was the only job offer I got out of grad school and now I'm doing a job that I really like but doesn't pay nearly enough. The business plan (what passes for one around here) depends on me being here in 5 years, so I know they want to keep me. But I want to go in to salary negotiations here with another offer, so I'm currently looking for another job that I would like doing, just so I can negotiate for better pay at the one I am currently doing. Moral of the story is that I have to land two jobs because I did not negotiate for the first.

Eh, it sounds like you're making the same mistake all over again. As others have said, you should really be willing to leave if you get another offer. If you're going to go through all the trouble of find a new position that you'll be happy in, why not just find a new position that you'll be happy in? If I were you, and I really was critical to the five year plan, I'd have an honest conversation about how much that is worth to them. Then, if it doesn't work out, find a new position.

E: Plus, you could get a raise now, rather than waiting for however long it takes you to line up a new offer and negotiate a new salary.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't understand why you can't have a friendly conversation about your compensation now, before you have another offer. Or, if the politics are so bad that you would be taking a risk by bring it up, I do not understand why you would want to stay there after you find another offer.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think he's saying his temp rate was low, but he took it because he needed the work.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hand of the King posted:

The recruiter responded by saying they'll have a decision by Monday 6/23 :ughh:

That's too late!!! I already explained I need to give the other company a response by EOB tomorrow! :(

I replied to her e-mail reiterating that I need to respond by EOB tomorrow and that she needs to give me a firm yes or no.

Call the recruiter.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I always just tell them I prefer not to discuss compensation at this stage.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
You'll be that guy who no one knows that is easy to scapegoat via all the "offline" channels that make an office culture toxic in the first place.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

bolind posted:

I'd like some input on the following situation: I have been contacted by a recruiter offering an attractive position. I sent him my CV, we had a brief phone interview, he presented my profile to the company in question, and they find me interesting.

What they'd like to do now is a) a phone interview and b) send me a "test" (I'm assuming a (set of) programming problem(s)) which should take 6-8 hours to complete. There's no firm limit to how much time I can spend, as far as I understand it. I can have it all weekend if I like.

The recruiter is one of those people who somehow manages to be able to have an entire conversation without giving concrete, solid answers, so to be honest I'm not entirely sure about the order of things. To me it seems weird to claim a day of my time without having even seen me in person, and to be honest I'm a little miffed on principle. I'm a single guy, so I have all the time in the world, but what if I had three screaming kids and a lawn to mow?

What's the SOP for tests/evaluations like this?

In the design community this is referred to as "spec work" and it is considered unethical. You should be compensated for anything that requires more than an hour of your time (i.e. anything more than a trivial idiot screening) or anything even remotely similar to what the company does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Capitulator posted:

Recruiter: Name your number or else
Me: I agree that understanding the compatibility of our expectations is essential (yes). I am currently bound by a company policy that may penalize me for revealing salary information to third parties (no), therefore, in order to avoid this penalty while still meeting our mutual objective, I prefer if you could share with me a typical range/number for a position of similar scope and calibre (yes?).

This sounds like the worst of both worlds: You don't give them the lowball answer they're after plus you sound like a spineless company man hiding behind policy. Just own your refusal to go first. Talk to some lovely recruiters about lovely jobs if you need the practice. It definitely gets easier.

E: Wrong quote.

Kobayashi fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 7, 2015

• Locked thread