Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
One trend I can personally vouch for is that a company that really low-balls you is doing you a favor by waving a giant "you don't want to work here" sign in front of your face.

Granted your position may not be so great, new grad, unemployed, etc. and you've got to take it anyway, but be aware that just like how you don't treat your cheap positions overly well, companies do the same thing with employees. I'm not a super greedy guy but I've realized that higher salary correlates to a better overall company and work environment almost every time and I've politely declined interviews when it seems like the range they're in is way below market.

EDIT: Obviously if its a non-profit vs business or different CoL or outside factors like that, thats different.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
If a company has a stated policy of paying whatever you make +10% can I assume this is just something they say hoping for an easy negotiation? I already know their ceiling for the role/level I'm interested in and I'm fine with a number there or even a little below but I'm really looking for ~20% more than what I currently make. I kind of find it weird they would really base pay on a percentage as a hard rule; what if I'm outrageously overpaid and how can they really verify whatever I'm making? I guess they could request a W2 but is that legal?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

OK so I can pretty much blow by that 10% thing. It only came up when an external recruiter contacted me and I pretty much said "ok whatever cross that bridge if I reach it" but both the internal recruiter and company haven't mentioned 10%. They told me the hard ceiling for the level I'd be at and since its a large company I assume that is probably truth and not a negotiation thing. I'd be happy at that number or a little under but at my pay + 10%

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

burnsep posted:

Sorry to push this but I'd love any insight!

I'm not qualified to answer but I think if you post some more details people at that level might be able to give advice. Like how many people are reporting to you and what kind of budget or scale are you looking at with the new job? Do you have P/L type responsibilities which might mean you've got performance bonuses to consider. A lot going on.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

So a company I really like just quoted me, first offer, 5k above my target, which they don't know and 30k above my current pay, something they also didn't really know. The standard is that you should always negotiate but well I like the offer and feel like it's fair. Am I under valuing myself tremendously or is it possible to just get a good quote?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

spwrozek posted:

Did you just read what happened? Ask for more and see what they say. Post more details if you want specific advice. Make sure you are good with all the other benefits as well

I did but for me they're already above my range so I don't have a good number to counter with since I don't really know what's reasonable. I'll have to go over the offer in detail and see.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Current job is ok but new one is better long term. I did notice the 401k is discretionary per year. Is it reasonable to ask for an assured match or parlay that to just more on my base pay?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

my bonus possibilities make it a little fuzzy but lets say low 50s now to 80 flat. That is, low 50s is assured and then best case bonus I'm mid 60's. Most likely I would end up high 50 low 60 given what I've seen before from the bonus pool but then again bonuses can be zero too. They don't do bonuses for the new position, so it would not vary.

One thing I do need to ask is where I end up on the org chart and if I'm coming in closer or farther from the next level. I would, most likely, be promoted here in a year two on the outside (obviously for less money).

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Spermy Smurf posted:

I would double check how soon bonus' kick in. Is it one calendar year, plus wait till year-end for the bonus? Is it 2 years, plus the 8-month wait till year-end?

sorry was saying that the new job has zero bonuses, old job has more.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

There's literally no reason not to ask for more. If that's their opening number it's because they EXPECT you to try to pull it higher and they want to have a base to negotiate off of. Wouldn't be crazy for them to be willing to go to $90k+. 10-15% 'room' is fairly standard on an opening offer.

Have you looked at external sources? They might provide you with a benchmark for the position - any evidence you can provide to support a higher number helps your case. If you're looking at a salary website, try being more and less selective on the salary comparison criteria (programmers vs say AI programmers with experience coding Skynet in QBASIC). You can be selective in your data so long as your selection is reasonably justifiable.

I have and it seems like I'm pretty much in the middle of the reported salaries for the position in the company, and the field/title in general.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Ya, you're right I'll regret not asking. I've read those articles that they're invested too and I'm trying to remember that. My plan right now is to ask where I would be in the organization regarding pay bands and promotion time, and then ask to be closer to the next level. Because I don't have a real "please pay me X" I think thats a better frame and I feel more comfortable discussing that than asking straight up for more money.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

I am inclined to believe this will be one of the very few times I will say something like this in this thread: You would not be foolish, XGuard86, to accept the offer you were granted without further negotiation.

All that said, it never hurts to ask. ;)

I'm a snowflake! YES

Thanks D Eisenhower, your advice as usual is really well reasoned.

If its any reference, if I accept this offer as is I would be doubling my first paycheck within 4 years out of school. I don't know if that's typical, or maybe just recovering from a kind of bad start. Part of the appeal of just taking the deal is that I can meet that goal right now, versus the small risk I might lose it.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

sent a response asking for details on the 401(k), my spot on the payband and how reviews work plus a question on the laptop I'd be using (minor just kind of curious). I didn't say anything about a counter offer or requests yet since it depends on the 401(k) and pay stuff. Researching salary for the position and comparing benefits they look about standard for the position and industry. I tried to keep the tone friendly because I like the company and from what I can tell its a very fair offer.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

wow fast response from the company. 401k is good but I went ahead and asked about a little more, 84k which puts me a little above the local average per glass door. I figure thats not an insane number and if its a no then I'm ok with 80

EDIT: I'll just edit this one so I don't turn this thread into a blog. I got a solid no to more money. I'm happy at the pay with the benefits, PTO healthcare etc (and its better than what I have now too). However thanks to the thread because I feel really good that I got the nerve to ask and I will be more confident in the future.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 25, 2014

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Congrats - a good outcome regardless of no bump. Doubling your pay in 4 years is a good outcome. Enjoy the new job!

Thanks. My gf, of all people was like "they wouldn't go higher?" I told her that if I said they offered 75 and I got them to 80 would she be happy?She realized the point. I'm really glad I posted here and got the advice especially from Eisenhower because I could see myself having that reaction without the counsel to see a win and not over reach.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I was going say: take it from my story that you've gotten what you want, don't move the goal post just because.

Also a 51% raise is enormous and the rest sounds very nice too. So its not like you're settling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

hi negotiation thread,

a little over a year ago I posted here for some advice and it was really helpful. In particular, I had an offer that was a huge jump in pay and way above what I expected, but wouldn't budge past what they had offered when I countered. People here, particularly Eisenhower said it was smart to take the job and not sweat it. I accepted the job and its gone great but I thought you guys would laugh at what happened after:

so in my counter I asked for like 5% more and they said they couldn't budge. After 6 months I got a call and was told that they'd done a market analysis and realized they needed to pay people more to meet demand and I was getting a pay bump of.... 5%. Knowing the company and how things are organized, I don't believe this was more than coincidence (or maybe I'm the rain man of compensation). Funny how things work out.

Also, I used some of what I learned from that journey to get a promotion and ~10% more pay (on top of that 4% that occurred previously) at my first annual review.

• Locked thread