Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Fiedler posted:

Company D - Offered current salary plus 51%, signing bonus of 3.5% of current salary, signing stock award of 17.5% of current salary (vesting over 5 years), annual bonus between 10-20%, and annual stock award of between 2.5% to 11.5% of current salary (vesting over 5 years), plus cost of relocation. Since this position is not local, I have to account for an increase in cost of living. Based on online listings I could find, I anticipate the cost of housing will be 2 to 2.5 times higher in this area, but I'm not certain of the best source for information on overall cost of living differences. The sources I have found seem off. Company D is aware that I have other offers, but I have not disclosed the amounts of those offers. They are aware of my current salary.

I have a strong preference for Company D, and the offer seems reasonable in comparison with the others, when adjusted for cost of living. I feel like I've won and would like to accept their offer, but I keep coming back to the thought that I should counter their offer, because the worst probable response would be having to hear the word no, right? And if I were to counter, what would be a reasonable amount? Their offered base salary plus, say, 8k?

That's a winning offer right there. Be careful about countering a strong offer. We've pulled offer sheets from folks we decided were too motivated by money. It's a red flag that they won't be around for a while and it's not worth hiring them.

My only concern is about moving to a high cost of living area. I live in Texas now and my household income affords me a very nice standard of living. We have an office in the Bay Area and a 50% salary increase wouldn't be worth it for me to move there. It's just too drat expensive to live there and try to have something similar to my standard of living here. Between taxes and housing costs they would have to at least double my salary for me to even consider it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Very true, excellent point. I'm a married guy in his early 30's with 2 kids, a high earning mid/late 20's person who is single would probably find my life very very boring.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

systran posted:

I'm about to interview for a job where it says on the app:

"The hiring salary for this position will begin at $38,000 and is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience."

I currently make $30,000.

This job is a public sector job, so I am actually able to look at the salaries of everyone else working there. There is one person getting paid $38,000, and the rest are making about $45,000.

I meet most of the "preferred qualifications" but I would be the only person there without an MS degree. I have two years of experience in the field and speak two foreign languages (relevant for this position).

I'd be super excited if I actually started at $45,000, but it seems like a stretch. The job is in downtown Denver and the cost of living in higher than where I live now, so the number I'd really like is $42,000. Should I highball an initial number? Like if I follow the advice in the thread and let them throw out the first number, and they say, "Since you're new we will start you at $38,000," should I counter with like $48,000, or would $45,000 be more appropriate?

I think after I have completed the interview I'll have a better picture of how valuable I might be to them, but I'm trying to get prepped for negotiation now so that I don't gently caress it up and kill my potential earnings.

Public sector jobs usually have a pay range/pay band associated with them, much like the Federal Government's GS system. You want to familiarize yourself with them so you know where you can negotiate.

Without knowing specifics, I'll give a general example and associated advice. [url= http://www.denvergov.org/Portals/671/documents/Pay/PayRanges&JobTitles.pdf] Here[/url] is the City of Denver's Pay Ranges and Job titles doc.

Say the job you're applying for is assigned pay grade 614, sal plan A, which starts at 38,174 and maxes out at 55,734. Everything goes well and they make you an offer at the 2nd quartile, 42.5K, you could try to negotiate to the mid range or a little higher by pointing out your qualifications and experience. As long as your request is reasonable and in the pay band, they should go for it if they want you bad enough.

Do negotiate though, unless you get promoted, public sector work doesn't have many opportunities to increase your pay outside of the regular annual salary adjustments, if you're lucky enough to get that. Your starting pay at this job will have compound ramifications on your retirement accounts, future earnings, etc. Vacation/Paid Time Off may be negotiable as well. I know where I am they instituted a policy of giving new hires credit for years of private sector work towards vacation and sick time accrual. They can't attract good talent with only offering 8 days off a year to start or whatever the number is.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Maybe where I work is some crazy place not hellbent on screwing employees, but I've never once heard of someone at my company trying to get someone to accept a salary at the lowest possible number.

HR gives the salary range for the job title, finance approves the salary expenditure for the cost center budget, and then we go try to hire the best employee we can. If the salary range is 95K to 110K and you want 100K we're not going to try to beat you down to 95K to save 5,000 bucks a year. Not worth anyone's time. It costs us so much more to find a qualified, good employee that 5K is a literal drop in the bucket.

For the company I work for the salary range is more of an exercise in setting realistic expectations. We hire quite a few programmers and salaries have skyrocketed lately. If you're asking for 130K and our budgeted range is 100 to 115K obviously it's not going to work out. Our hiring managers do have some discretion though, if they need another 5K they can probably get it, also if they feel like a candidate isn't worth their asking price they can choose to go less than the budgeted max for the position.

Xandu posted:

That always makes me wonder about the reverse. When an employer gives me a range for the position (before an offer, during the interview stage), can I expect to be able to negotiate to the top of that range, or are they going to try to stick with the low-to-mid part of the range?

In my experience this depends on what you're bringing to the table. The high part of the range is reserved for people that have earned that level of compensation, or can prove they're bringing something special to the table. Prove you're worth it an you can probably have it. If not, shoot for as much as you can with a salary review after 6 to 12 months to try to get you up towards the higher end of the range after you've proven yourself.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

We've pulled offers from candidates we liked from them trying to aggressively negotiate. Usually it's a combination of job hopping on a resume (never more than 2 years at one place), and aggressively chasing the highest reaches of the pay band. It's clear from their behavior they aren't going to stick around so we pull the offer. We rather have someone that will be around for a while than deal with people like that. It's a huge investment to get people up to speed in our environment, and we get the impression you're going to bolt at the next best offer, we're going to pass on you.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

FrozenVent posted:

Yeah, gently caress these guys.

In other news, when considering a job offer, how should one assess the value of the employer having a defined benefit pension?

I place almost no value in them since the odds of them being around in 35 years when I get to retire are somewhere between zero and hahahah yeah loving right. Besides, in this day and age who works at the same job the majority of their life aside from teachers/police/fire and other public employees?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Amazon has a brilliant idea there... Import qualified employees from low cost of living areas with what they think is a great salary, and then they have to work for you for at least a year, unless they want to pay back a relo bonus you know they can't afford to pay back because 66K a year in Seattle is like making 46K in an normal cost of living area. After the first year the 10K 2nd year bonus is there keeping you around, and then going into your 3rd year the sweet sweet allure of vested stock options keeps you around for another 2 years.

Modern day indentured servitude. Awesome.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I've never had an issue throwing out the first number, do your homework, figure out what the salary range for your job is in that area, and then shoot high, like 80th percentile high. Surely you have a number in your head that would make you happy. Go above that.

I personally prefer to evaluate the 'overall compensation package' as PTO, Health Benefits, and the working environment is more important to me than my total cash compensation at this point in my career. I would gladly take 10K less to work somewhere I get more vacation time and have flexible hours vs. the standard 1 or 2 weeks vacation and 8 to 5 hours.

Young companies are tricky though, many of them try to keep salaries low, but dangle options and equity in there. Don't take a bunch of equity that may never pan out in lieu of a big chunk of salary. I work with a lot of folks that have been burned with promises of millions after the IPO only to be stuck with a bunch of out of the money options. There's lots of ways to go about your overall compensation. Maybe you're looking for 140K a year but they can't swing that... would you take 115K a year with a structured bonus plan based on company performance? What about 130K but they give you 2 extra weeks of vacation

If I was in your shoes, and I'm not, and they pushed the salary range issue again, I would say something like "I like to evaluate the overall compensation package, but I've researched simliar positions in the Bay Area and I feel like 140,000 a year is where I'd like to be, or whatever your number is.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

C-Euro posted:

What do you all find are the most reliable resources/sites/whatever when determining your salary demands for a given position? Not to throw in the towel on trying to make more money, but I'm starting to wonder if the asking price I'm telling to recruiters is what's keeping me from landing any interviews right now. Should I just be opening salary.com every time someone comes to me with a job opening, jamming in the title of said opening while they're on the phone, and going from there?

Generally you can get a feel for the market from similar positions at Glassdoor, and job postings with salary ranges on them. Larger companies use salary reports from big HR firms, my company uses Radford to set our pay bands for positions. Salary.com, Payscale.com, they're probably somewhat close, but not as accurate as they could be.

I would think you would have a pretty close idea of what the market is paying for your job, with the appropriate modifiers for public vs private, established vs. startup, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I wouldn't worry about it. It's pretty common for folks that want to leave to wait until fully earned bonuses from the prior year are paid out before giving notice.

My company doesn't pay prior year bonus until the books have passed public audit, which is usually sometime in March. If you leave before the bonus is paid out, you don't get it. Waiting to be paid the bonus you earned last year isn't a bridge burning move in my experience.

• Locked thread