Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
burnsep
Jul 3, 2005
In a few days I'll be interviewed for the second time by an investment firm that focuses on social impact projects (sorry but I don't want to be too specific, think of it as an NGO that's run with a business-minded approach). The job is representing one of their main areas of interest in Latin America, which until very recently was done by a person who apparently left them slightly in the lurch (unconfirmed). There is no local HQ, the previous guy ran everything from his home office and the job entails quite a bit of travelling and politics.

I'm currently employed as CEO of a small start-up with pretty great prospects, but it's very stressful and I don't have much equity. It would not be terribly difficult for me to extricate myself from the situation in a professional and elegant manner. I told the first interviewer that I wasn't looking for a job, but that I was very passionate about the impact the initiative could have (true), and she appeared to be very impressed with my CV, passion and personality. My next interview is with the person who runs the initiative's US office.

My question is- how can I understand what "market value" is for such a position, to know what to expect as an offer, and what I should ask for? What perks/benefits should be included in the package? I'm in Mexico and the firm is based out of the US but has significant worldwide operations.

burnsep fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005
Sorry to push this but I'd love any insight!

burnsep posted:

In a few days I'll be interviewed for the second time by an investment firm that focuses on social impact projects (sorry but I don't want to be too specific, think of it as an NGO that's run with a business-minded approach). The job is representing one of their main areas of interest in Latin America, which until very recently was done by a person who apparently left them slightly in the lurch (unconfirmed). There is no local HQ, the previous guy ran everything from his home office and the job entails quite a bit of travelling and politics.

I'm currently employed as CEO of a small start-up with pretty great prospects, but it's very stressful and I don't have much equity. It would not be terribly difficult for me to extricate myself from the situation in a professional and elegant manner. I told the first interviewer that I wasn't looking for a job, but that I was very passionate about the impact the initiative could have (true), and she appeared to be very impressed with my CV, passion and personality. My next interview is with the person who runs the initiative's US office.

My question is- how can I understand what "market value" is for such a position, to know what to expect as an offer, and what I should ask for? What perks/benefits should be included in the package? I'm in Mexico and the firm is based out of the US but has significant worldwide operations.

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005

Xguard86 posted:

I'm not qualified to answer but I think if you post some more details people at that level might be able to give advice. Like how many people are reporting to you and what kind of budget or scale are you looking at with the new job? Do you have P/L type responsibilities which might mean you've got performance bonuses to consider. A lot going on.

Maybe the most informative way to go about it is posting the job description summary. The organization describes itself as an investment company focussing on impactful altruistic projects.

The *position* is primarily responsible for sourcing deals, evaluating investments, performing due diligence, structuring transactions and working with the organization to help it succeed. Responsibilities include:

• Develop & evolve strategy for investment area across Latin America including financial capital, human capital and intellectual capital (policy and advocacy)
• Source deals via personal networking and marketing and evaluate opportunities against fit with *Organization* strategy
• Lead due diligence and drive execution of funding
• Add value to funded organizations directly and by using other *Organization* resources as appropriate
• Provide support to and oversight of funded organizations (e.g. board roles)
• Contribute to intellectual leadership around Transparency and Accountability in Latin America and globally.
• Work on agreed *Organization* policy and advocacy priorities within the region
• Work with the transparency Team globally to advance the initiative’s strategy and mission
• Represent *Organization* in a manner that is consistent with our mission
• Perform other responsibilities, as necessary

I'd be working by myself, probably for at least the first year, so no direct reports. I haven't discussed any numbers with them yet, so I can't speculate about the budget.

Edit: formatting.

burnsep fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 19, 2014

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005
What are good resources to check what actual market value for your skillset/what the job should be paying/company reputations etc? I know about GlassDoor.com, but I'm sure there are other useful references. What's recommended?

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005
After a series of interviews for a position I've been informed that the organization looking to fill a position has decided to go with another candidate. I strongly believe I'm the right person for the job and am tempted to contact the person ultimately responsible for the choice (with whom I haven't spoken yet) and make a case for myself. Would this be a faux pas, and would it hurt my future chances with the organization?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005
Yeah, it stung a bit. I decided to drop them a brief email thanking them for the consideration, mentioning that during my research into the position I'd become increasingly interested in their area of operations (an international NGO) and would be looking for opportunities to work pro bono in the field with other local organizations.

Note: this is actually true, because this field is fascinating.

• Locked thread