Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

If they did, I'm sadly not aware of it. The closest I know is the pouches and bags mod which adds a set of craftable 90's comic book pouches for you to stick all over your character.

Morrowind was an utterly amazing dress up simulator. I can wear a dozen pieces of armor and clothes underneath and robes on top. I really wish they'd kept that, I know it added very little to the game (and made enchanted gear incredibly broken because of how much of it you could stack) but I too enjoy roleplaying as the most metrosexual adventurer in the universe.

I remember seeing the steam frontpage utterly loaded with Nancy Drew games and I always wondered if they were any good. I don't like adventure games but Nancy Drew was a big thing when I was little, my older cousin had the whole set I think. I was always more Famous Five, but I kinda got the impression they were similar but more girl-themed.

I had a few Nancy Drew games and found them very enjoyable. They're very creepy games, which sucks for me because I'm the most skittish person alive, but I appreciated that the developers didn't try to talk down to their audience. I remember the boxes said "for adventurous girls ages 10 and up."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

A lot of the responses from people about how much they enjoy the "playing dolls" aspect of many games has reminded me of the other side of the Girl Games message: that dress-up and caring about one's physical appearance are decidedly NOT in the domain of Things Boys Can Do.

One of my favorite things in LP is watching boys play girl games, because it's like y'all are just finding this poo poo out for the very first time, and it's hilarious. But! It is also a symptom of how our culture prevents boys from developing skills in things seen as traditionally feminine, such as emotional expression and emotional literacy.

It's obvious here that EVERYONE enjoys playing dolls, and playing dolls alone is not problematic. In a perfect feminist world, I would like to see more games with extensive customization options, and for a variety of other reasons about representation besides just that! "Everybody can do everything" includes acknowledging that boys enjoy doing "girl things" as well.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Clochette posted:

I had a few Nancy Drew games and found them very enjoyable. They're very creepy games, which sucks for me because I'm the most skittish person alive, but I appreciated that the developers didn't try to talk down to their audience. I remember the boxes said "for adventurous girls ages 10 and up."

Huh, well I'm glad they gave them a good showing, presumably that's why they're doing well. I think a little scariness is good in adventure games because they can be hard to add tension to, I always liked my childrens books when they had some real tension in them so it'd be appropriate to put it in the games too.

Devious Vacuum posted:

A lot of the responses from people about how much they enjoy the "playing dolls" aspect of many games has reminded me of the other side of the Girl Games message: that dress-up and caring about one's physical appearance are decidedly NOT in the domain of Things Boys Can Do.

One of my favorite things in LP is watching boys play girl games, because it's like y'all are just finding this poo poo out for the very first time, and it's hilarious. But! It is also a symptom of how our culture prevents boys from developing skills in things seen as traditionally feminine, such as emotional expression and emotional literacy.

It's obvious here that EVERYONE enjoys playing dolls, and playing dolls alone is not problematic. In a perfect feminist world, I would like to see more games with extensive customization options, and for a variety of other reasons about representation besides just that! "Everybody can do everything" includes acknowledging that boys enjoy doing "girl things" as well.

I grew up entirely surrounded by girls with zero male influence whatsoever, so I had an early start on that, but I remember attending a guest lecture by Richard Bartle (very early online RPG designer) when I was at uni and he said that when he did research, he was astonished to find the number of male gamers who played female characters in RPGs. He said the traditional excuse given was 'well I want something nice to look at all the time' but he then went on to say that this made less sense when the same trend held up in text based RPGs like MUDs.

Perhaps the playing with dollies aspect is pretty inherent in human psychology, regardless of gender. Roleplaying seems to be something enjoyed by everyone.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Clochette posted:

I remember Danger by Design had this terrifying jump scare that stayed with me for weeks. Ghost of Thornton Hall is also really creepy mostly to its sound design.

Devious Vacuum posted:

Will Wright talked about how the Sims enjoyed great success with both genders. The Sims is essentially a doll house in disguise. You can not only play it as a Kid Cad style house builder but also as a social game with virtual dolls. I know a lot of guys who don't play with dolls but were love in the life sim aspect of the game. And the dress-up.

The Maxis heads were reluctant to back the game. They said ‘What is this? He wants to do an interactive doll house? The guy is out of his mind.’ ” Doll houses were for girls, and girls didn’t play video games. They wanted to market it as an architecture sim in line with their other simulation games. However, publisher EA gave Wright a lot of support due to his reputation and its acquisition of Maxis.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's a really weird stance to take because surely anybody with a brain wouldn't arbitrarily draw a line between creative things for boys and creative things for girls. Both are given creative toys as children, it's just for some reason boys get meccano and lego and girls get doll houses, but you're creating things in both circumstances, creativity itself is fun for both.

Especially as you say, you can either build houses (ultimate your dad simulator) or run your own soap opera (ultimate your mum simulator)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I find this odd, earlier in the thread someone talked about the first The Sims game being much more free form, less gamey, or something like that. I remember trying it when it was new, without any expansions at all, and the way I remember it, everything was getting bogged down in terrible gameplay mechanics. I couldn't just freely build/decorate a house because of budget and my sims lived like poo poo, because they had to follow a seemingly impossible daily schedule while constantly getting stuck in animations, on geometry and on each other. I don't think there was any sort of sandbox mode, so you'd basically have to "cheat" if you wanted to play it as a true free-form doll house.

I never tried any of the later games, partly because of this experience.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The later games are much more play-oriented instead of simulation oriented. Largely because the first game was mostly limited to a single household so it had to create difficulty within some pretty narrow constraints of what was possible, while the later games allowed you to be much more liberal about your Sims' social life and personal development, making climbing up the social ladder the main challenge.

Instead of trying to get to the toilet in time.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sunning posted:

I remember Danger by Design had this terrifying jump scare that stayed with me for weeks. Ghost of Thornton Hall is also really creepy mostly to its sound design.

Will Wright talked about how the Sims enjoyed great success with both genders. The Sims is essentially a doll house in disguise. You can not only play it as a Kid Cad style house builder but also as a social game with virtual dolls. I know a lot of guys who don't play with dolls but were love in the life sim aspect of the game. And the dress-up.

The Maxis heads were reluctant to back the game. They said ‘What is this? He wants to do an interactive doll house? The guy is out of his mind.’ ” Doll houses were for girls, and girls didn’t play video games. They wanted to market it as an architecture sim in line with their other simulation games. However, publisher EA gave Wright a lot of support due to his reputation and its acquisition of Maxis.

I think there is some usefulness to drawing a distinction between 'game' and 'toy' in this context. It doesn't excuse the cheapness, crappy art or bad representations in the dress-up and makeover stuff, but complaining because there's no 'goal' is a bit of a dead end. By that logic, Minecraft isn't a game. And before anyone says anything, none of these flash things are aiming at being as complex as Minecraft or other more traditionally styled sandbox 'games' like the Sim series, they're intended to be messed with for like 20 minutes at a time, you see some advertising, and then that's you until tomorrow, or next week or whatever.

I'm not defending the blandness or the body image stuff, but I think we have to divorce the 'game' from 'video game', otherwise we're just getting mad because there's no 'You Win!' screen.

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

nielsm posted:

I find this odd, earlier in the thread someone talked about the first The Sims game being much more free form, less gamey, or something like that. I remember trying it when it was new, without any expansions at all, and the way I remember it, everything was getting bogged down in terrible gameplay mechanics. I couldn't just freely build/decorate a house because of budget and my sims lived like poo poo, because they had to follow a seemingly impossible daily schedule while constantly getting stuck in animations, on geometry and on each other. I don't think there was any sort of sandbox mode, so you'd basically have to "cheat" if you wanted to play it as a true free-form doll house.

I didn't find the first game very enjoyable because of that, either. It was sort of an experimental game. I think The Sims 3 is the best game in the series, despite its flaws, because the social mechanics are vastly improved. Even if you only play one household, every other Sim in town is still living their own life, building their own families and careers. (The EA-Maxis default Story Progression is poo poo, though, so to get the best experience you'll need AwesomeMod or my favorite, Nraas StoryProgression).

There's a playthrough of a "homeless" Sims 3 family that demonstrates the increased freedom of the game quite well, I think. http://aliceandkev.wordpress.com/

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

OwlFancier posted:

I grew up entirely surrounded by girls with zero male influence whatsoever, so I had an early start on that, but I remember attending a guest lecture by Richard Bartle (very early online RPG designer) when I was at uni and he said that when he did research, he was astonished to find the number of male gamers who played female characters in RPGs. He said the traditional excuse given was 'well I want something nice to look at all the time' but he then went on to say that this made less sense when the same trend held up in text based RPGs like MUDs.

Perhaps the playing with dollies aspect is pretty inherent in human psychology, regardless of gender. Roleplaying seems to be something enjoyed by everyone.

I wonder why this is. Like, are they roleplaying and is there a certain personality type they would consider as 'inappropriate' for playing a man, but for a female character it was perfectly fine? Do they know they can get free gear from other players that way or do they just like the thought of having boobs?

I know a guy who almost always plays women in any kind of RPG...I've never thought to ask him why. Is it just as common for women to play male characters when they have the option?

Speaking for myself, if I was starting up a new game and intending to roleplay, if I wanted to play the compassionate cleric who always picks the moral or diplomatic options and only kills as a last resort I'd play a woman, and if I want to play a sneaky thief or a bad-rear end longblade swinging mercenary... I'd also play a woman, just the sneaky or bad rear end type. I've just pretty much never seen a reason to use a male character.

Though I guess if I was playing video games in the 1800s or something, maybe I'd feel the need to pretend to be a dude to live out my scandalous unladylike swashbuckling fantasy without embarrassment, who knows.

Anyway! In other news, eleven year old me was so dumb. Dressing up a doll up a computer doll has got to be the lamest thing ever, I bet if I tried it again now I'd...

...:aaaaa: So...many...options... :swoon:

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
For games that let you choose character gender, I'll usually pick male first; I think it's part of gravitating towards characters that are closer to my physical-world self. For games like this that I play more than once (likely suspects being Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout and Skyrim), I usually alternate between male and female from one playthrough to the next. Just for the sake of seeing more art, really (male/female versions of outfits), and to see if anything else in the game changes (usually it doesn't).

In some games I will go female first; if the male character customisation options are lacking in some way, for example.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Zoe posted:

I wonder why this is. Like, are they roleplaying and is there a certain personality type they would consider as 'inappropriate' for playing a man, but for a female character it was perfectly fine? Do they know they can get free gear from other players that way or do they just like the thought of having boobs?

As a guy who plays as girls given the choice, I put it down to the fact that I tend to get along better with women than other men, so I relate to a female character more easily.

Peach Style
Nov 10, 2003

I don't speak 'crazy head sucker' language.
Did someone call The Fashion Police? Yeah, I didn't either.

http://girl.me/the-fashion-police.html

I found this under the 'Jobs' category on the site. I wasn't sure if this was going to be a regular dress up game or a police themed dress up game.

I'm all ready for my 8pm shift at the strip club.

Also, something true to life: Victoria Secret Fashion show.

http://girl.me/victoria-s-secret-fashion-show.html

Peach Style fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 24, 2014

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I usually play as a girl despite being not a girl IRL. Part of this comes from really liking Night elfs in Warcraft 3, and well. I have complained a LOT about the faces of male Night elfs. I still complain about it. Though I did eventually find one passable male face.

Generally though I play a girl because well. This is escapist fantasy. If I can be a wizard who rides a dragon and saves the world repeatedly, being a girl doesn't seem like too much of a stretch.

Sometimes though, the outfits make me feel super uncomfortable (AUGH WHY WOULD YOU GIVE ME 3/4 LENGTH PANTS. YOU MONSTERS)

Quovak
Feb 2, 2009

See, the problem with online communication is that you can't feel my beard through the HTML.
I often play female characters for a really simple reason. The overemphasis on burly white male heroes or oversexualized women is bad in lots of ways people have touched on. It teaches girls that cool things aren't for them, it teaches boys that they can't project weakness, it otherizes huge swaths of the population, it denies lots of people good role models and exacerbates insecurities, &c. These are really important criticisms I completely agree with, and I don't want to dismiss them in any way.

The thing is, I don't think you need to get even vaguely sophisticated to be sick of constant masculine white dudes and women as sex objects. My far simpler and way less noble reason is that it's really loving boring to see the same character types in every game. I have a grand total of two games on my shelf with women as protagonists and one of them is Bayonetta. If I want a reminder that breasts exist or that showing emotion is lame, I can find that in any type of game I could possibly want. It's more interesting to play a woman, especially a customized one not designed for 14-year-old boys, because there are fewer chances to do so and it makes it less like every other game. Variety is fun!

I really want more representation of different genders and gender identities and races and sexualities and everything else in media for lofty societal reasons, but I also want more representation for really dumb selfish reasons. I'm a straight white man who sees lots of people just like me in all forms of media, and it's way more interesting to see at least some people who aren't like me. That's also why I play games about time travelers and witches who kill angels instead of games where you write tons of words online.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Zoe posted:

I wonder why this is.

One of the reasons I almost always pick women first when a game gives me a choice is that in over 90% of games out there, a male protagonist is the only option given. I'd like to see some equality and variety, and if the only way to do that is via games that give you a gender choice, then so be it. I may or may not roleplay to some degree as the character, but I don't really view my actions as that character as gendered in any particular way.

The only times I'll play a male first when a game gives me a gender choice is when I'm trying to make a celebrity gimmick character and the celebrity happens to be a man, or if I have some archetype in mind which is based around a male character. In New Vegas, I started as a man because I wanted a "1950's greaser Clint Eastwood", and I needed a nice pompadour for that.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
All right ladies, this thread needs a heapin' dose of testosterone, and the best person to do the job is me. And the best tool to do it with is dress up games for boys. :black101:

quote:

Justin is a man who really loves to take exercise and keep fit. For this reason, he always goes to the gym. Besides, he’s a fashionable person, and he always attracts many others, especially girls. All of the girls love to have a boyfriend like him because he’s a good-looking man with blue eyes and a nice body. So do you want to select some nice clothes Justin, guys? Let’s come to Justin at Gym game now! With this game, players have to dress Justin up by using 8 available buttons. They include hair, top, bottom, jacket, shoes, bags, tools and background. The players can choose anything which they think that it’s suitable for Justin’s figure. Remember that selecting the most beautiful clothes is a necessary job to appeal to all of the girls at the gym. Let’s take time to play this cool game, guys! Have fun!

...what? What's with that look? Are you doubting the manfulness of these games? Well, nonbeliever, take a look at this:

Boom. How's that egg on your face treating ya? Now stow your vaginae in your purses and come with me.

- First up we got one Cool Teacher. :cool:

quote:

When Mr. Richie is around, everyone want to learn. He wants to have a great time with everybody, and he is cool, laid-back. To study the multiplication tables, this subject can be boring. This fun teacher will give you time to read your favorite book or reward you with a longer recess if you master them. You have to choose a special appearance for cool teacher by selecting accessories and clothes.

Man, this teacher is even cooler than Ferris Bueller. Also interesting/frightening to see an intro modeled after that nightmare I keep having.

- Next is the only game I'm going to bother to link.
http://dressupgamesforboys.net/view/80/aladdin-dressup.html
It's an Aladdin dress-up game. It's mostly unremarkable except for the music, which is just fantastic. The music is this generic Arabian-y sounding song frequently punctuated by a guy with a really deep voice going "Oh yeah." like that loving song by Yello.

- They also have plenty of superhero dress-up games (p.s. they are all terrible), including one that allows you to design your own hero as long as your ideal hero has an allergy to sensible outfits. And is a dude.

I call him Captain Tripping Hazard, do not steal.

- Next up we have... um...

quote:

It is nice to meet all of the players in the wonderful dress up game Pimp my Pimp! Their task is to dress Pimp up with the suitable clothes and other items in his wardrobe. This character is a hip-hip singer, and owns a special skin color. Thus, everything from top to toe is according to this style. He is going to appear in front of his fans with a strange appearance. The players are ready to play Pimp my Pimp, are not they? Try to click on the objects like some pairs of different trousers, shoes types, hats, necklaces, glasses, hairstyles, jackets, shirt, and so forth to drag these things to Pimp’s outside. To cover him with these ones, the players should drop the left mouse. Have fun!

ummmmmmmm...

uuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Nope. gently caress this, I'm done.

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 24, 2014

Umbilical Lotus
Nov 13, 2005

OH NO!!!! AXE CUT YOU!!!!
This is a really cool thread, not only to fully revel in the mire that is girl games, but also to see what others WAY outside the target demographic think of this phenomenon.

I work at a music school, and our student base is composed primarily of kids. I've been doing some polling here and there, asking what kind of games they play on the computer. The clear winner, by a huge margin, is Minecraft. Everyone answers Minecraft. As soon as the word Minecraft is mentioned, it begins a giant creeper-chain preteen explosion of JOIN MY SERVER and MY SKIN IS SO COOL and I BUILT A ROLLERCOASTER FORT. This phenomenon is so wonderful to see, as it shows Minecraft as a game that is effectively pan-demographic. Furthermore, almost all the kids I work around are almost unthinking citizens of Minecraft's social component - they're all on servers, and they all think I'm weird for playing by myself.

However: Minecraft is not the only answer I have received. Oh no. Oh, lord no. And every game that has a consensus, ie: more than one girl has agreed upon it, has been social.

These darn kids today with their eyephones I swear to god.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

nielsm posted:

The thing about the gameplay elements in The Sims was that they were super easy to manipulate. If you wanted two of your sims to fall in love, you could make that happen in a few minutes. If you wanted them to get married or have a child, it was easy. The careers took a bit longer but were still really simple. And the money earning meant that you had to space out your house building and decorating a bit, which made the game last longer without seeming like it was unnecessary padding.

I tried one of the later ones, and I couldn't get the two sims I wanted to fall in love to even like each other because their personalities clashed or something and it was really annoying.

Zoe posted:

I know a guy who almost always plays women in any kind of RPG...I've never thought to ask him why. Is it just as common for women to play male characters when they have the option?

Like others have said, I often play female characters when given the option just for variety. Most games force you to be an American man, so if I have the option to be something else I'll take it. Also, when it comes to customisation, women often get a much better selection of clothes.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Like others have said, I often play female characters when given the option just for variety. Most games force you to be an American man, so if I have the option to be something else I'll take it. Also, when it comes to customisation, women often get a much better selection of clothes.

In a contemporary setting like Saints Row (and on this note, why no lady crooks in GTA?), that's partly a social construct thing, I think. If you play a girl, and I'm another dude what plays ladies when I can, you can usually wear all the boy clothes and all the girl clothes and it's considered viable. It's not coded as 'silly' to wear jeans. But guys can only really wear the male clothing, unless you're specifically going for a drag look, either seriously or comedically, which limits you.

Basically, chick in trousers is considered 'normal'. Guy in dress is still considered 'weird' or 'funny'.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

and on this note, why no lady crooks in GTA?

"What do you expect, flowers to womans?"

But yeah, I'd bet that "Girls can wear skirts or pants, but boys can only wear pants. It's not fair." is an observation made by millions of boys... before the indoctrination has fully set in. I know I said that when I was a kid.

Actually I read somewhere recently that young boys wearing skirts was considered normal until around the start of the twentieth century or something.

Edit: You know what, here it is.

Antistar01 fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 24, 2014

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Umbilical Lotus posted:

This phenomenon is so wonderful to see, as it shows Minecraft as a game that is effectively pan-demographic.

Or pandemic. :downsrim:

Also, going back to the example of Saints Row, the Boss as a fully voiced character is without gender. The Boss uses gender much as we would use halloween costumes. Except the Boss is always trick-or-treating with bullets and beatings. I believe it's a large part of the awesome character that the Boss is and has become. Besides the obsession with stripper poles and hookers, it has become a character truly without any implied gender.

I am also still mad that they took away layering and sock customization in SR3+4.

I tried asking a little girl about video game preferences, but she was too busy playing her daddy in Tekken.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

It's a freeing experience. I also get super tempted to wear a skirt to work one day. And just count the annurisms (I work with a lot of 60+ year old men).
Oh man, if only tomorrow were 'STRALYA day. I'd do it just on principle. I still could.

As for in games, I really do enjoy how Saints Row doesn't judge. Voice sets are completely detached from biological gender. Which is also detached from clothing choices. I can play dressup however I drat well want.

Edit: I did go looking for a site, but hindisght tells me it's going to need a video update, not screenshots.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 24, 2014

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

dijon du jour posted:

Pimp my Pimp

Is there anyway to figure out what country these games are made in? The way the description is worded just screams ESL to me, and then there's the...uh, everything else. Still racist as gently caress, but I'm guessing this is coming from a country where this kind of poo poo is still considered acceptable for some reason.

fake edit: The Aladdin description is especially awkward:

quote:

Have you ever watched Aladdin film? Do you still remember him? What kinds of suits does he wear in the film? He is hugely famous all over the world so that creators have just unveiled a new game – Aladdin Dressup. Let’s play this game and enjoy the well-known character. Now, show your memories how many percent you still remember his appearance and his fashion. As a result, players change other new ones to make them stylish and prominent in the crowd. Make him charming in a new look, game lovers! First of all, change his hairstyles and hats. Then, alter his shirts. The players can also wear a coat for him in order to make a different perspective. Next, choose his trousers and belts. Finally, dress him up with the best shoes. Get excited? Come on, play the game!

real edit: I see all kinds of copyrighted characters. Do they make money off this site? I wonder how Disney and Pixar feel about that...

Zoe fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 24, 2014

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

God drat it, I got scooped on My Cool Teacher!!! You'll still see that game in a later episode though, repetition be damned.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Zoe posted:

Is there anyway to figure out what country these games are made in? The way the description is worded just screams ESL to me, and then there's the...uh, everything else. Still racist as gently caress, but I'm guessing this is coming from a country where this kind of poo poo is still considered acceptable for some reason.

The site I got these games from seem to write their own descriptions for the games it hosts (most of the descriptions are hilarious, btw. I highly recommend clicking through the site to read some of them) but isn't responsible for making the games themselves. I couldn't dig up much on the actual creators because smallestgames.com won't load for me, unfortunately.
I did, however, find out that their server is hosted by Dsc Enterprises in Georgia and they also made another game called Pimp My Pope. :suicide:

Devious Vacuum posted:

God drat it, I got scooped on My Cool Teacher!!! You'll still see that game in a later episode though, repetition be damned.

In the video you could probably show off the actual dress-up portion better than I did i.e. at all. :v: I just watched the dude's clothes slowly fade away in front of a classroom full of students, looked at his tiny package, and said "Okay, limit reached."
Besides that, it was the kind of dress-up game I really don't like. You know, the kind where you press buttons to cycle through all the options rather than clicking and dragging.

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.

dijon du jour posted:

Dress Up Games, including...

Dress Link Up
Link is one of the characters in the comic
book series The Legend...

Wait, what? I mean, I guess he was in some comics, but come on, he's totally the video game character before he's a comic book character. And it's not like the game series is dead and was revived through comics.

But seriously, those games really capture the manly essence of being a man. I can't think of anything manlier than Joe Jonas At The Disco. On the unfortunate but hopeful note of damning praise, those girls in the first game, despite being horribly deformed and thin, did look like they had some vague muscle definition...maybe...that's at least sort of a step in showing varying body types.

Edit: Veloxyll, please do. You'd be super awesome and I'd be jealous.

chocolatekake fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jan 24, 2014

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

dijon du jour posted:

In the video you could probably show off the actual dress-up portion better than I did i.e. at all. :v: I just watched the dude's clothes slowly fade away in front of a classroom full of students, looked at his tiny package, and said "Okay, limit reached."

I did the exact same thing! I guess I will have to actually play it now...

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

This is uncomfortable in many ways :smith:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Zoe posted:

As I recall he said that women play men quite commonly too, not sure though.

Personally I tend to play characters in RPGs, so I pick the gender based on how I would if I was writing a story about them, or sometimes crib them from other stories. In skyrim I started a character based around the wolf queen, so she was a nord made to look like a supervillain necromancer. I tend to default to male characters but it does vary.

Veloxyll posted:

Sometimes though, the outfits make me feel super uncomfortable (AUGH WHY WOULD YOU GIVE ME 3/4 LENGTH PANTS. YOU MONSTERS)

This is part of the turnoff for me too, I tend to sperg out about the terrible armor choices, Skyrim's quite nice in that respect though as both sexes get pretty stupid armor. Though playing saints row, the female clothing options are way better than the male ones.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jan 24, 2014

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
A friend of mine usually used to play female characters in RPG's when I was younger. I asked him why female and he gave the standard answer "so I have something nice to look at". Being just a kid, I saw no fault in this argument, but I've come to hate it in my later years. I gave it a try because I thought the argument was sound at the time, but I found it more interesting in trying to see how far I could roleplay it in games like NWN.

In this experimental time, I did end up learning a lot and I think I grew to be a better person for it, making mistakes along the way, like having ERP with a guy I thought was a girl, relapse on the revelation, have regret when he thought of it as a big joke, and getting drunk and having ERP with a guy I knew was a guy just because.

I've since been rather grossed out by ERP because that environment is kinda full of twisted people and a lot of lying. A bit hypocritical of me to say, maybe, but I wasn't the same person after that. It is like a decade ago though, I still enjoy playing female characters, but now because I feel more comfortable roleplaying them, or roleplaying dextrous elves who are a bit looney in the head, doing dumb poo poo all the time.

Sometimes both.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ERP in general is a bit weird for me, obviously if you like it that's good, but I've never been able to get past the idea of touching imaginary uglies with someone. It runs into the same problems as make-poo poo-up fights you had as a kid. 'Yeah well my guy has a two million foot cock and he can spooge hard enough to blow up the sun oh god oh god I came.'

It seems like a really elaborate form of jerking off to me, but hell if it works for folks then good for them.

xxlicious
Feb 19, 2013
What's ERP? I assume you're not talking about enterprise resource planning (yes I googled it).

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

xxlicious posted:

What's ERP? I assume you're not talking about enterprise resource planning (yes I googled it).

Erotic Role-Playing, if I had to hazard a guess.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
My point is simply that I did stupid poo poo as a teenager and I came out of it a better person, or so I'd like to think.

I probably had rather sexist views in my early teens, but I learned a lot from that time, especially in regards to how I stand with regard to women in games.

Albeit it took a good part of the decade to get there.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

So I am I the only one leaning away from my computer and making a :catstare: face right now?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Like we all didn't interact with toxic communities when we were dumb teenagers.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Well, I definitely didn't write about throbbing orc manhoods with them.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Neither did I, because I think you are getting a very different idea of it from what it was. It was nasty and toxic and when I understood that, I got out of it. :shrug:

I was dumb, what else can I say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Congratulations, Mordaedil. You just discovered one of the things you should never, ever admit to in this sub-forum for fear of goons turning against you. (I'm sure you can think of at least two other popular choices for this. :v: )

Which is kind of a pity, because your post has some interesting insights to offer. This whole thread has yielded some wonderful discussion amongst the sad excuses for 'games' we've seen, and it's made for good reading.

• Locked thread