Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
Someone with better skills than me needs to make a "Games for girls flash games never changes facial expressions" because holy crap, every single one of those games had almost the exact same facial expression. The only exceptions were pizza time, street-flirting and that dream date one (because she had a nose while most of the others didn't.)

Also why is that pizza time game a girl game? The only thing I can think of is some sort of sexism about how women belong in the kitchen. I can't decide if that's better or worse than the overt fashion stuff going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

dijon du jour posted:

Then there's "Man Dress Up" which requires no more introduction or explanation than that.

Reposting this from the previous page because I can't believe that nobody has commented on it. That needs to be someone's avatar.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

I'm a straight dude and completely happy with that. Sorry, if this comes off as really negative by the way. And I've got a really lovely problem where if I hear people talking about how different/harder things are on you if you're a girl then I immediately react with: "Bullshit, I've never seen that." Like my tiny opinionated worldview on something is the only one that matters. I'm trying to not do that but it tends to continue to pop up. Obviously that doesn't extend to games though because I knew girl games were a thing in the back of my mind but I assumed that any women who wanted to play games did what any sane person did and just buy what they liked and never say anything on a multiplayer game.

I saw some people mentioning MLP [No opinion] and Adventure Time [Started the pilot with Finn & Jake using flamethrowers so it's a pretty great show as far as I can say] as good shows with strong women characters and I'd like to throw the two Avatar the Last Airbender series into that. More the first one since I can't say too much about Korra. In the first series, most of the Earthbenders were all super ripped giant dudes that looked like The Rock and they made a blind twelve year old girl a tomboy and the resident Earthbender of the group. And I think that's pretty cool. I dunno though. I feel like there's a much better and in-depth way of putting all that together that looks more appealing.

The only shows that I can really think of as being ~for girls~ maybe? Are the Powerpuff Girls and Kim Possible. Not that that stopped me from watching them as a kid since I liked violent cartoons. :v:

This speaks to the insidiousness of it all more than anything. As a straight dude who is happy with himself and (I'm guessing) not having directly thought about issues like this a lot, of course you haven't seen it. Humans have a habit where if we're not on the lookout for something that's unusual to us, it's completely invisible to us. Granted, that link applies to vision, but if objects themselves can just not register in our brains I think that speaks volumes about our inability to see, say, the emergent results of a variety of interactions.

I'm pretty sure that "Obviously" sentence is meant sarcastically, but I did want to touch on the bolded portion. If you did have the thought of "I don't hear many women in multiplayer environments because they're just not talking." that's exactly the kind of thing this thread is about. Guys don't have to worry about how people will react to a guy's voice in a game. Girls do, at least to an extent, and so they might consider not having voice chat on at all. That pretty much all girls are even in a position to make a consideration like that while most guys are not is exactly the kind of weird inequality that might be invisible to a guy, because why would a guy bother with a consideration like that in the first place? Like any social construct though, it's not universal. Kids would probably be an exception to this behavior, but that's drifting into derail territory.

Edit: Just realized I might be straw-manning you if by 'never say anything' you had text chat in mind. Oh well, I think the point still stands in general.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Killrrhubarb posted:

I don't think it has enough guns

Those three rocket pods on the back can hold two more rocket pods on top of them. You can fix it man.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
Why is that ad a thing?! :gonk:

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Devious Vacuum posted:

The message of The Little Mermaid is "change yourself for a man." So yes.

Yes.

So how about Cinderella? The messages there seem to be mixed to me.

1) "Haters gonna hate."
2) "Just because you aren't a princess on the outside doesn't mean you aren't one on the inside."
3) "'On the outside' refers to the trappings, not the physical beauty. So if you're not beautiful like a princess, you're not one."

Also, for added irony, you could plausibly take this message away from it.
"It takes a lot of magic and bullshit to look like what everyone believes the standards of beauty say you should look like."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
Never thought I'd watch an eight-minute long video that consists of somebody dressing up a blow-up doll. Well done.

Also that dripping blue eye at the end totally makes it. It's like she's crying.

• Locked thread