Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

What is it?
Kroll Show is an American sketch comedy television series created by and starring comedian Nick Kroll.

What makes this sketch show any different from every other sketch show?

Brandon Nowalk from A.V. Club posted:

Watching Kroll Show is like channel surfing in hell, or just being stuck with a sad cable package. It’s a sketch show modeled on reality television, and every time one sketch reaches a commercial break, the authorial remote-handler flips to another. The shows aren’t far off from the lineups at E!, Bravo, and VH1, from candid reality shows loosely tying wealthy people to some gimmick premise, to the occasional fictional program, like a Canadian teen drama. But Kroll Show doesn’t just riff on cheap entertainment. The pleasure is in the cumulative experience, the way characters from one show would gradually spin off whole franchises. The goal of the reality talent on the shows within Kroll Show is to keep leveraging inexplicable fame into even more inexplicable fame.

Cumulative Experience? You mean I should watch from the beginning?
I found the first episode mildly amusing, but it took several episodes for me to see the cleverness of the show match opening sequence. Watching these terrible reality shows rapidly spin off into even worse reality shows is pretty amazing.

Show me one skit that shows me what you're talking about!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoebyWkvOIE

But is the show funny?
I think so. To be honest, I remember not thinking the show was as funny as I do now. I'm not sure if it's the show getting better, or the build up of references from previous episodes.

OK. I want to watch the show from the beginning!
The first season is currently free on Amazon streaming for Prime members.

I just want to start watching it on TV
It airs on Tuesdays at 10:30PM on Comdey Central. The second season just started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
So glad this show is back already, S1 had an insanely good Hit/Miss ratio. Almost all of Comedy Central's half hour offerings last season were top tier poo poo. I'm salivating at the thought of new episodes of Nathan For You

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I thought the first episode was, and I don't use this word loosely, a-may-zeen. A great return to form. Feels a bit more polished than Season 1. This season's got some great guests lined up.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah Kroll Show is possibly on the same level as Mr Show when it comes to it's ingenuity. Don't think a sketch is funny? That's fine, but it's probably really smart so you can enjoy that instead. I would love to map out how every character interwinds with each other, it's far better than I thought it was going to be (based on Kroll's CC special where his podcast characters didn't translate to screen wonderfully imo, and the first episode can't really demonstrate where the show is going to end up). As a Brit, I used to mainly look down a bit on American sketch comedy, as aside from the greats it was mostly miss... can't say that anymore with things like Kroll Show and Inside Amy Schumer (we'll ignore the last few episodes of that).

Ha, I only just realised that the director of the kids track at the end is 'Jason from LA' - Fred Armisen's character from the first sketch of Portlandia 1x01.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I could watch Rich Dicks forever, probably. (Fun fact: Nick Kroll's dad is worth 1.5 billion dollars)

But this is probably the sketch I think back to the most:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YCOT5LasKc

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 21, 2014

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Can I just watch all of C-CZAR Dad Academy now please :)

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

MoPZiG posted:

Can I just watch all of C-CZAR Dad Academy now please :)

I was bummed they teased Ron Funches and he didn't show up in the episode!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The Wheels, Ontario sketch was amazing in its ability to parody so many things at once.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Dreylad posted:

The Wheels, Ontario sketch was amazing in its ability to parody so many things at once.

I watched a preview for this season, and they said there would be more Wheels, Ontario stuff this season.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

JakeP posted:

I watched a preview for this season, and they said there would be more Wheels, Ontario stuff this season.

It returns TONIGHT!!!

Also, I can't help but read this thread title in Liz's voice. I hated Publizity at first. I don't even remember the turning point.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Even if the rest of the show were terrible, I'd watch it for the potential ~2 minutes per episode of John Mulaney.

"I don't mean to be rude, but do you have loving Memento disease?"

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

xbilkis posted:

"I don't mean to be rude, but do you have loving Memento disease?"

That might be the best one-liner of the whole series. Brilliant.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
Kroll Show

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm glad there's a thread for this show now because it pretty much makes me laugh uncontrollably every time I watch it.

e: DON'T DO VIOLENCE, MAN!

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 22, 2014

Spraynard Kruger
May 8, 2007

Yup, still have a crush on Lauren Collins. Thanks, Kroll.

Anyone else feel like the pace of the show has slowed down this season? I'm not getting the 30 minute Awesome Show vibe I used to. Or maybe the structure's still there, but they axed some of the short bits for more talking head segments, I don't know.

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013
Peace oot :canada:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

No Publizity was a real bummer :smith: But all the Wheels, Ontario stuff was still pretty funny!

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

xbilkis posted:

Even if the rest of the show were terrible, I'd watch it for the potential ~2 minutes per episode of John Mulaney.

"I don't mean to be rude, but do you have loving Memento disease ?

I try to explain to others why "Too Much Tuna" is so good and I find myself at a loss. It's just the dumbass character Mulaney was born to play.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
So on point so far with this season, much better signal:noise ratio. Wheels Ontario is just as good as S1, hoping for some Rich Dicks.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother
I'm not a fan of the talking-head segments. Hate that now there are more of them. Even though they're usually funny they really disrupt the show for me.

I can't wait to see what Dad Academy devolves into next. I watched all of the VH1 trash reality shows so all of these spin-offs are amazing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Pompous Rhombus posted:

hoping for some Rich Dicks.

Make sure you watch tonights then.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I thought the show was dumb at first glance, but after actually sitting down and watching a couple episodes I was surprised to find out how funny it actually was.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh my god, Andy Milonakis and Bill Burr. This episode is incredible already.

obliviums
Oct 2, 2013

The only exercise I get is poopin'

Do you fat-shaming try-hards really know how good ice cream is?
Publizity should be preceded with a trigger warning for all ex-advertisers. Only adding a flamboyant gay man to their crew would complete a fully realized vision of young American advertising/PR people. It's disgusting realistic and a testament to Kroll's dedication to realistic characters driving his humor. He's currently making the best argument against reality tv and culture in general.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I just started season one and Wheels, Ontario is the greatest thing I've ever seen.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I sometimes can't even tell what's intentional and what isn't, but during that second Rocks & Roll segment, an obvious stuntman was riding the bike during one cut in place of Nick Kroll or his in-show character's actor, whichever it happens to be.

brothertim
Mar 6, 2013

No Wave posted:

But this is probably the sketch I think back to the most:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YCOT5LasKc

'something healthy like 4-5 sowsages then, like, a chocolate cigarette.'

Kroll Show isnt something that I expected much from the first time I saw it (previews), but after watching a few episodes I'm hooked. Kinda how I felt about Key & Peele. Plus, the intro is great.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Apoplexy posted:

I sometimes can't even tell what's intentional and what isn't, but during that second Rocks & Roll segment, an obvious stuntman was riding the bike during one cut in place of Nick Kroll or his in-show character's actor, whichever it happens to be.

I didn't spot it, but I'm gonna go with intentional. There was also a boom mic in shot in the same sequence. Rich Dicks was amazing, great episode.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Rich Dicks was the best it's ever been on that episode. There were so loving many good laughs during it, but ending it with "I got nothing at stake here." was just perfection.

By the way, anyone who hasn't seen Nick's stuff on John Oliver's New York Stand-up Show, look it up. He does Fabrice Fabrice and it is MARVELOUS. Similarly, his special Thank You Very Cool has a ton of poo poo from all his characters (also, John Mulaney!)

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
And this happened because, to quote John Oliver, "Because OF COURSE it did."

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

obliviums posted:

Publizity should be preceded with a trigger warning for all ex-advertisers. Only adding a flamboyant gay man to their crew would complete a fully realized vision of young American advertising/PR people. It's disgusting realistic and a testament to Kroll's dedication to realistic characters driving his humor. He's currently making the best argument against reality tv and culture in general.

I love this show if only because it makes me feel like someone sat and watched all of the same shows as me, and loved them for the same reasons.

I know they were awful, but they were so addictive. You'd show someone one episode, then a week later they'd have already watched them all.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Apoplexy posted:

Watch it again and look closely. Every shot of him riding the motorcycle is a different stunt man that looks nothing like Kroll

Its these little subtle touches that make the satire of this show so good.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
This show is consistently great, but Amy Poehler's delivery of "rest in peace" was spectacular.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I feel really dumb for not watching the first season last year, I think I had it confused with Nick Swardson's awful sketch show from 2-3 years ago. And I love all of Kroll's characters on CBB!

Burned through all the episodes so I'm caught up now. This show is so good.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
This show is something special. Jon Daly's been killing it this season.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Not sure if this is just a promotional clip or from an upcoming episode? Brian La Croix at the Canadian Grammys

http://www.comedycentral.com/video-clips/n8giap/kroll-show-bryan-la-croix---live-at-the-canadian-grammys

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Not sure if this is just a promotional clip or from an upcoming episode? Brian La Croix at the Canadian Grammys

http://www.comedycentral.com/video-clips/n8giap/kroll-show-bryan-la-croix---live-at-the-canadian-grammys

I'd guess from an episode. I'm sure he and Joe Mande came up with the name due to the La Croix in it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jessica: White Woman

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Wheels Ontario in America seems like it'd be funniest thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Homo Milk

e: I'm so glad to see Jason Mantzoukas in this episode

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Feb 5, 2014

• Locked thread