Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Cool good to hear. I was worried that most of the Ming successors would through a series of revolts all pretty much become the vanilla countries just with Chinese names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Seeing as we're not going with a Seljuk HRE, would using the shogunate mechanics work for them instead?

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
With so many Sunni states being Hui lead, this could lead to an interesting divide later, between regions with histories of Hui leadership and more Confucian influences and those Islamic regions without that history.

On that note, are any of the Ming Frontier successors Confucian, or are they all Sunni?

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
Brazil

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D
Is Scotland going to have a different culture union tag besides GBR? Because that could be interesting (and different from the usual thing where GBR always ends up forming).

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Brazil.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

ChrisAsmadi posted:

Is Scotland going to have a different culture union tag besides GBR? Because that could be interesting (and different from the usual thing where GBR always ends up forming).

Yeah, they have their own union tag.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Event writing seems to be going well, things are mostly working (except for a weird thing where nothing in one of the localization files is... well... localizing. But I'll think of something!) and Res Publica comes out next week. So assuming I don't have any horrific problems getting the mod to work with Res Publica, and assuming Res Publica doesn't break EU4 entirely somehow, we should be ready to roll before the end of the month.

And, since the map stuff is all done, I'll have a state of the world for 1444 before then to tide everyone over.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
Sweet, glad to hear things are working so far. Are there any other places that could use more flags or something? Unions, OPMs, etc?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Hm, a religiously neutral flag (since Muslim, Hindu, or-- I guess, I'm not sure how the conversion events work-- Sikh? tags can all theoretically become emperor) for India (i.e., the unified HLR tag) would be nice. Right now I'm just using the e_india flag from CK2 as a placeholder, but I'm not super pumped about it.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rincewind posted:

Hm, a religiously neutral flag (since Muslim, Hindu, or-- I guess, I'm not sure how the conversion events work-- Sikh? tags can all theoretically become emperor) for India (i.e., the unified HLR tag) would be nice. Right now I'm just using the e_india flag from CK2 as a placeholder, but I'm not super pumped about it.

No Buddhists or Jains? :(

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

GSD posted:

No Buddhists or Jains? :(

My export is pre-RoI and trying to reverse engineer the Jains back into my mod seemed to just break everything horrifically, and unfortunately seemed to be more trouble than it was worth just to make the IndiaHRE even more religiously divided.

I should add a Buddhist elector as a tiebreaker between the Muslim and Hindu ones, though.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rincewind posted:

My export is pre-RoI and trying to reverse engineer the Jains back into my mod seemed to just break everything horrifically, and unfortunately seemed to be more trouble than it was worth just to make the IndiaHRE even more religiously divided.

I should add a Buddhist elector as a tiebreaker between the Muslim and Hindu ones, though.

A little disappointing, but fair enough.
A somewhat stronger Jain presence in India would have been interesting, is all.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Rincewind posted:

Event writing seems to be going well, things are mostly working (except for a weird thing where nothing in one of the localization files is... well... localizing. But I'll think of something!) and Res Publica comes out next week. So assuming I don't have any horrific problems getting the mod to work with Res Publica, and assuming Res Publica doesn't break EU4 entirely somehow, we should be ready to roll before the end of the month.

And, since the map stuff is all done, I'll have a state of the world for 1444 before then to tide everyone over.

The name of the localization file matters. If you have a localization with, say, english strings in it:
code:
l_english:
  "Some string": "Some other thing?"
But the file name doesn't have l_english in it (I dunno, like IndianCountryNameLocalizations.yml) then the game doesn't pick up that it's an english localization that should go along with all the other l_english localizations out there. This happened to me a while ago when I thought it might make sense to break the localization files apart by topic, but neglected to add "l_english" to each of their filenames (even though they all had "l_english" as the YAML root element).

e: if this is not the case, it could also possibly be a nested quotation mark, special character, or other landmine hiding somewhere. If you want to PM me a link to your localization file, I can go over it with some YAML validation scripts and see if I find anything.

Dibujante fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 11, 2014

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

GSD posted:

A little disappointing, but fair enough.
A somewhat stronger Jain presence in India would have been interesting, is all.

Well, there's always my next Paradox LP... :v:

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rincewind posted:

Well, there's always my next Paradox LP... :v:

Indeed, indeed. :v:
Though with India now being incorporated into the mind, it is likely going to be up to the AI now. Then again, India often ends up fairly static currently, so I could see it being broken up and changed via vote just to make a more interesting EU4 scenario. But theorizing about future threads is pretty silly.

Edit: Is the HRE going to get the Elective Monarchy government type, now that it is getting unique mechanics and stuff?

GSD fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 11, 2014

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

GSD posted:

Indeed, indeed. :v:
Though with India now being incorporated into the mind, it is likely going to be up to the AI now. Then again, India often ends up fairly static currently, so I could see it being broken up and changed via vote just to make a more interesting EU4 scenario. But theorizing about future threads is pretty silly.

Edit: Is the HRE going to get the Elective Monarchy government type, now that it is getting unique mechanics and stuff?

I need to see more how it works under the hood, how the candidate dynasties are determined, etc. It's certainly appealing, though.

There are a few other candidates for elective monarchy here and there throughout the world in addition to the HRE, though.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Rincewind posted:

Something like this, then?

The pink Sacred Lotus flower as both a pan-Indian symbol and for other neat symbolic meanings, like unity (the many petals of the flower) and longevity (they're able to live up to a thousand years). Text is the "Satyameva Jayate" mantra, or "Truth Alone Triumphs," with its own ancient significance and symbolism of good rule. Blue for the ponds the Lotus is from and as a bit of a contrast to the warmer pink and gold. The golden Lion Capital of Asoka references Emperor Ashoka's reign of almost the entire subcontinent; fitting for a union flag. The elephants because more flags need elephants they're an important part of India's history, as WeaponGradeSadness's post mentioned in regards to the Kerala region. Gold-on-white to symbolize richness and prosperity.

While the Lotus and Satyameva Jayate may be pushing it I'd think this is a decently religiously-neutral idea.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

StrifeHira posted:

Something like this, then?

The pink Sacred Lotus flower as both a pan-Indian symbol and for other neat symbolic meanings, like unity (the many petals of the flower) and longevity (they're able to live up to a thousand years). Text is the "Satyameva Jayate" mantra, or "Truth Alone Triumphs," with its own ancient significance and symbolism of good rule. Blue for the ponds the Lotus is from and as a bit of a contrast to the warmer pink and gold. The golden Lion Capital of Asoka references Emperor Ashoka's reign of almost the entire subcontinent; fitting for a union flag. The elephants because more flags need elephants they're an important part of India's history, as WeaponGradeSadness's post mentioned in regards to the Kerala region. Gold-on-white to symbolize richness and prosperity.

While the Lotus and Satyameva Jayate may be pushing it I'd think this is a decently religiously-neutral idea.

Looking good! Hopefully it'll actually come up in the LP. :v:

Anyway...

:siren: EMERGENCY SENATE VOTE :siren:

This is going to be a very quick, informal Senate vote (anybody reading the thread can vote, parties won't matter, etc.) since it concerns a set-up thing.

So...

Exhibit A: The Roman Empire

Exhibit B: Our diplomatic relations

Exhibit C: Our vassals

As you can see, the four vassals created by the Imperial Bureaucracy Act take up all four of our diplomatic relation slots. I was going to be mean and just leave that as a delightful surprise in the first update, so then we could spend a highly amusing decade having to go over our relation limit whenever we wanted an ally or military access or whatever, but in the end I decided that'd just feel like a game mechanics gotcha, so I'll give the Senate a chance to avoid that by cutting one of our vassals loose.

As you can see from our vassal list, Kartli is the least valuable of our vassals. It's also the most remote of them, barely contiguous with the rest of our territory thanks to a thin strip connecting it to Trebizond (remember that the republics of Abkhazia and Crimea have been independent since Emperor Komitas Branas let them slip away, and unlike Belgorod were never brought back into the empire). Trebizond is also a metropolis (theocracy), unlike any of our other vassals (the republics of Ragusa and Belgorod, and the kingdom of Sicily, which is kind of a special case anyway), and a hotbed of dissent (it was involved in some of those late game independence revolts we had).

So you have two choices:

A: Free Kartli, making it an independent theocratic Orthodox state in the style of the Valerian Order in Egypt. The Roman officials watching the Exarch of Kartli like a hawk will be able to return to Constantinople and be reassigned from the Committee of St. Valeria's Ministry for Exarchate Relations to the general Foreign Affairs Ministry of the Venetian Committee, giving us a slightly freer hand in foreign relations in places that matter (i.e., western and central Europe, the former Gauhar Ayin Empire, etc.) to the tune of one open diplomatic relation slot.

B: The status quo. Kartli remains an exarchate of Rome (i.e., our vassal) and we'll be able to diploannex it eventually. We may have some (minor, the 4/4 diplorelation slots are enough of a problem) events related to its relative disloyalty compared to our other vassals, but mostly the disadvantage is just having to keep four vassals around until we can finally start devouring them whole a decade into the game.

For reference, Empress Basillike (who is pretty much on death's door at this point) is ADM 3 / DIP 2 / MIL 3, and Hugh de Mowbray is ADM 4 / DIP 1 / MIL 3, if you want to get a sense of how many diplo points will be coming in if we feel like eating the penalties for going over our relations limit in the early game.

Sorry I didn't write a cute little in-character scene with them here, like I usually do for these votes, but this one is all about game mechanics an early modern Roman has no business knowing about.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I vote A for pretty borders.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

B for Rome duh.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
A! The loyal Exarchy might even be able to expand Christianity in their more autonomous state, and retrieve Crimea and Abkhazia for the Empire.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Oh, by the way:

(Borders subject to change, especially the ones that were off the CK2 map, since I haven't run any hands-off games to balance them yet. And I should really make the Somalian successors shades of blue...)

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

This is a tough one.

A. More independence for the church is, on principle, a good thing. But I must also ask that we do not leave the Exarchate to be devoured by its neighbours. I petition that even if we let Kartli go its own way we at least aid and prop it up until it encompasses all of the Caucasus and is capable of defending it on its own.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
A

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Yeah, we don't want to throw it to the wolves.

C, integrate the most integratable one already by game start, if possible.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

B

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Since Georgia does not seem to be around, if A wins, can Kartli get a decision to Form Georgia if it sticks around/is more successful?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
A. But we defend it and come to it's aid if necessary!

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

GSD posted:

Since Georgia does not seem to be around, if A wins, can Kartli get a decision to Form Georgia if it sticks around/is more successful?

Sure, giving them a decision to form Georgia if they can hold their territory for long enough would be easy and make sense.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
C. They are our vassals and we can accept the penalty for going over our relations limit for the 10 or 15 years it will take to start the process of annexation for one.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

fermun posted:

C. They are our vassals and we can accept the penalty for going over our relations limit for the 10 or 15 years it will take to start the process of annexation for one.

I'm assuming you mean B since what you just wrote is what B is. There is no C.

Cestrian
Nov 5, 2011
B: Diplo points are for chumps.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Rincewind posted:

I'm assuming you mean B since what you just wrote is what B is. There is no C.

Eh, fair enough. Switching from write-in to B.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

B

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

B

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

B, I guess. They can't survive on their own, and if we're going to prop them up, we might as well keep them.

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

B. Diplo annex one of them as soon as possible, that way we get the free diplomacy slot and even more filthy lucre in the form of taxes.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

B

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

[B

• Locked thread