Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Is there any way for the Haida to make it to Asia? Because if there is, I'm surprised they haven't yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

A pity these republicanist are not willing to compromise. Their lives could have been spared if they were willing to negotiate power-sharing within the upper levels of government rather than trying to achieve their goals by force of arms. Surely our esteemed Empress can afford to provide a gesture to such ends without destabilizing the Commonwealth.

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Ah, the fires of revolution rightfully quenched with the blood of traitors! I say excellent work to our noble Empress.

However, I must say that the execution of Alexios IV is an outrage! An Emperor is utterly sacrosanct! How dare the traitorous Lords Commissioner betray him! I call for their execution!

And another thing: there are two Radziwills left. Not to presume, but isn't it an Empress's duty to correct this? If not, the noble and glorious House of Cyrahzax is willing to step up! I have many sons available for adoption!

He cared not for the Commonwealth and it's people, just his own aggrandizement at the expense of the Commonwealth.

catlord posted:

Is there any way for the Haida to make it to Asia? Because if there is, I'm surprised they haven't yet.

I'd imagine they know about Kamchatka by now if they have reached Aleutian Islands. Just a matter of taking them from Korea.

Rubix Squid fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Sep 1, 2014

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Haida have started their Manifest Destiny a century and a bit early. It will be interesting to see what happens they inevitably clash with the Ayiti for dominance of North Avalon.

It is nice to see the Iroquois doing well though. Even more impressive since I don't believe they are part of the Maritime tech group like the Ayiti, Inca and Haida are.

Edit: Lenape Texas. You were too good for this world. You will be missed.

GSD fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Sep 1, 2014

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
This is why force multipliers will almost always win the day over additive solutions.

Though granted only the start of the Deluge can be blamed on insufficient military tech and ideas, the reason it continued for so long (other than lack of allies) was the military being sent into pointless meat grinders so that our neighbors continued to see us as weak before we could properly recover.

Nice to see the rebel scum massacred!

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Sep 1, 2014

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

PART 46: A Dear Old Friend (1712-1724)

More from Empress Julia's additions to The New Alexiad.

Times were what passed for good.

Athens prospered, culture flourished, etc.

The flames of revolution ebbed throughout Europe. Well, most of Europe.

Gümülcinelist rebels toppled the kingdom of Lombardy and swelpt Nolfo Botta into power. Somehow, though, I doubt the Lombards will return to a utopian "state of nature", though...

China called us into their own war of conquest. Stick with your allies.

The Roman Navy's performance was typical.

Since Da Qin obviously refused us military access for an overland attack on the Somali Republic, this put the kibosh on us making any positive contributions to the Chinese war effort.

Not that Empress Chunmei needed much help subduing Aceh.

Da Qin continued to spiral away into political obscurity.

A nation which one claimed the mantle of Rome and nearly pushed us out of Anatolia entirely during the Deluge, brought low by dynastic intrigues.

Valeria and I began to seriously discuss who would inherit the empire after her death. We didn't want the Commonwealth wind up as a plaything of some foreign despot.

One Rome slides into obscurity, another is born again.

Of course, "liberating" the Holy Roman Empire from Poland meant basically nothing because the vast majority of the former territories of the empire were ruled by France.

They did their best, though. They even dredged up a Habsburg to put on the throne. A Gallican Habsburg. Where do all these Habsburgs keep coming from?

Remember the Sunni Habsburgs in Styria? A Habsburg for every occasion.

At least young Jutte von Habsburg had the good manners not to pretend she was "empress" of anything.

Jutte von Habsburg, charitably described as 'Queen of the Romans'

In the real Roman Empire, life continued on as normally as possible given the large Somali fleet blocking the Bosphorus.

The Turks built a monument to their liberation from Da Qin, which was very thoughtful of them.

The Hungarians, their Gallican faith notwithstanding, sought a better form of government more in keeping with the principles of the enlightenment than the absolutism of the French. Perhaps they were inspired by the Roman Commonwealth? (They were almost certainly actually inspired by the Ming. Let's not kid ourselves)

The legions, which due to the failure of our navy had absolutely no way of engaging the enemy, nonetheless looked more splendid than ever.

Again, though: The Chinese didn't need our help. So maybe it's for the best I didn't slaughter thousands of our own soldiers for no reason.

Funeral bells in half of Europe when Maguerite de Valois-Vexin died. The half of Europe she, personally, ruled.

They say Versailles is one of the great wonders of the world-- nearly as splendid as the Forbidden City or the Board of Caciques' meeting houses in Jaragua, and certainly superior to the gloomy palace my grandfather built here in Constantinople. I almost contemplated concocting some scheme to see it with my own eyes, but immediately filed that one under "suicidally stupid."

Simon I de Valois-Vexin of France, 1716

Valeria took a keen interest in our diplomatic situation. The Commonwealth, Ferrara, and Russia were the only Orthodox nations of consequence left-- and after a century of the setbacks in the south, Russia considered its interests separate enough from our own to drop their longstanding rivalry with us.

Thus the breach between Third Rome and First (and Second) Rome that opened up when the Roman Empire passed to the de Mowbrays was healed.

Thanks, Valeria.

Yekaterina II Yaroslavna of Russia, Third Rome

The Ayiti Federation formally requested their aid in their quest to drive Lai Ang out of Avalon.

We accepted, of course. It was important to prove we were worthwhile allies, as we had quite clearly failed to do in the Ming war on Aceh.

The Ayiti would make better allies than the Ming, anyway. They had the world's largest navy, which both complemented our weaknesses and meant they could actually land armies in Europe instead of just slowly marching them across the entire length of Yilang.

The fact that Da Qin was a possession of Lai Ang had nothing to do with it, I assure you.

Da Qin's military decline hadn't stopped under de León rule, and the legions did well against them.

The only threat to Commonwealth territory proper was a small Ghanese army landing in Sicily.

Now, granted, all of the decisive battles of the war were fought in Avalon, and had nothing to do with us.

Things went so swimmingly in the Far West, however, that the Ayiti felt free to send an army to help us in our invasion of Da Qin.

Good thing that war was all but won, since we needed to defend our Orthodox brethren from the Gallicans post-haste.

We were getting used to fighting wars with France by this point.

Hopefully the Italians were getting used to fighting wars with France by this point as well.

Russia was having trouble withstanding the Franco-Polish onslaught, so, trusting the Ayiti to quell any resistance that might crop up in Da Qin, the legions were sent north.

Making it to Russia was slightly dicey, but General Pisani showed he was good for things besides massacring revolutionaries armed with philosophy books when he cut straight through a superior force personally commanded by the de Valois-Vexin king of Poland like it was so much Gallican butter.

"The key," he wrote back to me, "is to know your enemy. You have to know how a Valois-Vexin thinks. How they govern, how they operate. Once you crack that code, you're halfway to winning the battle."

Whatever you say, Pisani.

After that, the legions linked up with the Russians, and it was smooth sailing from there.

The French had very little patience with their allies. We were careful never to go anywhere without them.

I think I can say which approach works better.

The war continued to go well-- but the Commonwealth still suffered a dreadful blow.

My sister was dead. The burden of leadership was now mine and mine alone. And it would fall to me to determine what the Commonwealth after the Radziwiłłs would look like.

It was my idea to just make the decision to end our family line in hopes a more reliable dynasty would assume power. Valeria respected this, and even saw the necessity of it, but it wasn't what she would have done if left to her own devices. It was a plan with Julia Radziwiłł's fingerprints all over it.

But I still wasn't really prepared to be the last Radziwiłł. I had grown rather used to thinking of myself as the penultimate Radziwiłł.

Poor Valeria. She'd done so much for the Commonwealth-- for me-- and she didn't even get to be empress for a few years as just reward for her service.

But... we weren't really alone, were we?

The Commonwealth had friends.

Friends willing to take our own interests into account, even.

Friends who know we'll fight by their side when their nation is attacked instead of taking the easy way out.

So that was that. We'd won yet another war against France.

Of course, we'd yet to actually fight France head on, a real de Valois-Vexin vs. Radziwiłł slugfest. In every case we achieved "victory" by keeping the legions as far away from the main French army as possible, until whatever ally France was intervening on behalf of lost their nerve and cut off hostilities.

But it was still a welcome improvement on the days when France could just wander over whenever it pleased and punch the Roman Empire until some provinces fell out.

Slowly but surely, we were clawing our way back up the ranks of the world's nations.

And now, with the empire at peace, I can pick up where Valeria left off and consider the matter of the succession. I have all the time in the world...

Letter sent from Tsarina Yekaterina II Yaroslavna to the Lords Commissioner of the Roman Commonwealth
After the extinction of the House of de Mowbray, the breakdown of relations between our two great Orthodox Empires led to the House of Yaroslavovich being unjustly deprived of their right to the Roman throne, which was sold to the Radziwiłłs on the basis of a specious claim to descend from Julius Caesar, even though anybody with a copy of Plutarch and the ability to read it could tell you Caesar's only legitimate child died without issue.

We are pleased that relations between our nations have mended under the good governance of the sisters Julia and Valeria Radziwiłł, and are of course eternally grateful for the Commonwealth's aid in defending Russia, Third Rome, from the aggression of the conquest-mad House of Valois-Vexin.

It is in this spirit of friendship that we remind the Commonwealth of the following:

The House of Yaroslavovich was founded by Tsar Yaroslav of Kiev-Byzantium.

His father was Grand Duke Sudislav the Great of Kiev, matrilineal descendant of the Rurikids.

His mother was Empress Gabrielia Komnene, sister of St. Valeria.

Every single living Yaroslavovich-- the imperial family of Russia, the cadet branch which rules Holland, even the various feudal rulers still clinging to various fiefdoms in those parts of Europe which have not yet abolished their offices-- is descended from Tsar Yaroslav. The Roman Yaroslavoviches descended from Yaroslav's daughter, the heroic Empress Dobrava Yaroslavovna. The Russian Yaroslavoviches are the heirs to her brother, Tsar Yuriy Yaroslavovich. But in Yaroslav, the two branches were united in a single man.

Which is to say: the blood of Roman emperors flows in all our veins. Provably. Without any appeals to a murky Antiquity. We can claim descent from Trajan II, Valeria the Apostle, Iouliana the Great, St. Kaisarios-- documented descent, every leaf of the family tree laid out in exquisite detail.

My son Nikolai has been raised since birth to one day inherit the Russian Empire. Passing the Roman throne to him would be an enormous disruption to both our nations.

Instead, I have sent my daughter Yustina Yaroslavovna to take up the office of empress. She has a general's temperament and a warrior's bravery-- perfect for an empire which so often has proven itself the strong shield defending the Orthodox Church from the Gallican hordes to the west.

EMPRESS JUSTINE I YAROSLAVOVNA • CROWNED JUNE 7th, 1724

Fear not, Rome.

The curse of the Radziwiłłs is lifted.

The heirs of Rurik and Alexios Komnenos have come home.

WORLD MAP, 1724

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Oh, dear sweet god that ming blob is horrific. Please, tell me that there's something that will lead to it breaking up. :stonk:

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Hahahahahahahah.

Welp. At least we finally have friends! :shobon:

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Ha, try loving with the Senate now, Russkies, there's no more Senate!

... Wait...

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Man, Lord Cyrahzax is going to get whiplash at this rate.

(Also, big ships, for God's sake, big ships!)

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Tomn posted:

Man, Lord Cyrahzax is going to get whiplash at this rate.

(Also, big ships, for God's sake, big ships!)

Both these updates were played at the same time, before I read any of the replies people made about naval composition.

When everyone said to build big ships, too late for it to do any good with the updates I was still in the middle of editing and writing, I got a sinking feeling.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
A tragic passing of Empress Julia. May our new Empress do great things, Inshallah.

I'm glad to see the Yaroslavovich's return, I felt like they got a bad rap.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Rincewind posted:

Both these updates were played at the same time, before I read any of the replies people made about naval composition.

When everyone said to build big ships, too late for it to do any good with the updates I was still in the middle of editing and writing, I got a sinking feeling.

Haha, all right, I'll lay off. I DID think those updates were coming pretty thick and fast.

In the meantime, I suppose we'll just have to content ourselves with a never-ending string of victorious legions and triumphs over France. What a shame.

Edit: "Sinking feeling" :doh:

Tomn fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Sep 1, 2014

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

"Said to be a diplomat." Ah, the old "war is diplomacy by other means" adage, I see.

Also the Yaroslavovichs rock. Good to have them back.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle

Rincewind posted:

You've got force march now and a high quality army! Stackwipe ho!
(Our miltech is still competitive, right? Well, we should be fine even if it is a couple behind.)

And good idea to post your troops next to the Boshporus.
Sooo... do we still have the Black Sea cores?

Any cores left?
Let's kill some people!

Wait... the gently caress?
YAROSLAVOVICHNA?

Let's put this Empire to the flames.
Can we have a vote where the Black Chamber gets the opportunity to murder the spawn of Satan for like -6 stability or something?

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Sep 1, 2014

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Readingaccount posted:

Wait... the gently caress?
YAROSLAVOVICHNA?

Let's put this Empire to the flames.
Can we have a vote where the Black Chamber gets the opportunity to murder the spawn of Satan for like -6 stability or something?

Oh, come on.

Look, either the Yaroslavoviches are cursed, or they aren't. If they're cursed, the Empire is going to burn anyways so we don't need to do anything. If they're not, then everything's fine and we've got an excellent military ruler! Que sera, sera!

On a side note, I can't help but wonder what the average Roman thinks of the average Russian and vice versa. It's like a never-ending soap opera between the two primary bastions of Orthodoxy left in the world, one moment professing the deepest love and respect for each other, the next moment at bitter war, and the moment after that despising each other thoroughly and yet still somehow inseparable.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tomn posted:

On a side note, I can't help but wonder what the average Roman thinks of the average Russian and vice versa. It's like a never-ending soap opera between the two primary bastions of Orthodoxy left in the world, one moment professing the deepest love and respect for each other, the next moment at bitter war, and the moment after that despising each other thoroughly and yet still somehow inseparable.

I am sure this timeline's Shakespeare has written a play or two set in Constantinople for this reason. It is far away enough to not imply anything bad about his Scottish Habsburg patron(s), while also having just enough hints of truth and historicity to it.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
They're right about being of Komemnos descent, that is inarguable. Just a pity the Komemnians were effectively eliminated as a Senate faction even before the dissolution of the Senate. Also,

If she remains celibate, Rome versus the Gallican Big Blue Blob for the fate of the unified Orthodox world. Deus Vult!

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle

Tomn posted:

Oh, come on.

Look, either the Yaroslavoviches are cursed, or they aren't. If they're cursed, the Empire is going to burn anyways so we don't need to do anything. If they're not, then everything's fine and we've got an excellent military ruler! Que sera, sera!

No!
This will not stand!

Assassination/Revolution/Anarchy/Murder/Mayhem! I will poo poo in a well and set fire to the sewers! ANYTHING ELSE!
Once and for all death to their royal line, destruction to the wicked fruit of the sub-human Ruthenians! From the glorious Komnenoi and Radziwill to Republicanism, Discordians and Anarchy, Death and Defeat - all are preferable.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Sep 1, 2014

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I for one welcome our new Yaroslavovich imperials. Here's hoping Empress Justine shows the Church the respect it deserves. 0% Patriarch Authority? Good god has the Commonwealth let things go!

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Readingaccount posted:

No!
This will not stand!

Assassination/Revolution/Anarchy/Murder/Mayhem! I will poo poo in a well and set fire to the sewers! ANYTHING ELSE!
Once and for all death to their royal line, destruction to the wicked fruit of the sub-human Ruthenians! From the glorious Komnenoi and Radziwill to Republicanism, Discordians and Anarchy, Death and Defeat - all are preferable.

Look, have you seen the new Empress hunting?

She can bring down like six ducks out of the sky in almost as many seconds as long as someone keeps tossing loaded muskets at her. Her arms are a constant blur of motion that periodically explodes in the death of waterfowl.

I for one have no intention of pissing her off. Get back to me when she's had a head injury or her trigger finger fell off or something.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
We will use the ancient and time-honored tradition of getting rid of Kievans. Igniting explosives, only this time underneath the Imperial Capital. Gunpowder, treason and plot.

Rincewind, if I may I am going to recruit conspirators (other posters who will do ANYTHING and ACCEPT ANY SOLUTION above Yaroslavovna dominance) and attempt to explode a small section of the city by moving and piling up excrement to build up sewer gases in a poorly ventilated section, the more reliably the Empress is there the better, but of course accessibility is also an issue.
Any population of Constantinople killed will certainly sing our praises from heaven and exult in the honor of becoming involuntary martyrs for such a cause.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Sep 1, 2014

ManicMarine
Oct 9, 2012

GSD posted:

Also the Yaroslavovichs rock. Good to have them back.

Because things went so well the last time they were in charge.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Readingaccount posted:

No!
This will not stand!

Excuse me. My ancestors are Ruthenian and I'll not have you slandering them.

I'd say your worse than Cyrahax honestly, they have no shame in parading around their distaste for anyone that isn't a pureblooded Greek who can trace their line back to the early days of the Greek city states. I expected better of you. The Security Committee will be getting a report of this.

ManicMarine posted:

Because things went so well the last time they were in charge.

Only because there was a large contingent of slavering fools drunk on the idea of throwing them out.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Yeah, that first one just up and murdered loyal Senators for voting Black Chamber.
Really gotta hand it to Rincewind to roleplay a 0 Intrigue character so well, it was probably the most realistic reaction that he wouldn't understand the need for the Chamber and would even execute Senators for trying to vote for it.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Readingaccount posted:

Yeah, that first one just up and murdered loyal Senators for voting Black Chamber.
Really gotta hand it to Rincewind to roleplay a 0 Intrigue character so well, it was probably the most realistic reaction that he wouldn't understand the need for the Chamber and would even execute Senators for trying to vote for it.

I'm pretty sure he understood the need for the Chamber perfectly.

He also understood that the whole point of a secret service is to be, well, secret, and that you aren't very secret if you allow a bunch of idiot politicians to stand around waving their flags and loudly proclaiming themselves members of the secret service and demanding that the secret service go off people the politicians don't like, up to and including the head of state.

Even if he didn't pick up on that himself, the Black Chamber did. I'm pretty sure the executions were described as the Black Chamber getting annoyed about people falsely claiming membership, not the Emperor being pissy about spies.

Cestrian
Nov 5, 2011
Is there any reason that the Yaroslavovichs will have a worse reputation within the commonwealth than the Radziwills?

Both basically oversaw the decline of the empire from the glory days of the Komnenian Restoration. The Komnenos absoloutly win all nostalgic best dynasty competions hands down.

But there's not much to chose between the other two. The Radziwills oversaw the deluge and then the slow recovery from that and the Yaroslavovichs the equally disastrous arrival of the Ming Frontier and then the recovery from that with the victorious war of the second hungarian league which is basically this timelines defence of vienna.

You've got to think that the Yaroslavichs will be remembered for breaking the ming frontier as much as for the loss of egypt, jerusalem, rome etc. And you know they at least never saw Constantinople sacked or Antolia lost the way the Radziwills did.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Readingaccount posted:

We will use the ancient and time-honored tradition of getting rid of Kievans. Igniting explosives, only this time underneath the Imperial Capital. Gunpowder, treason and plot.

Rincewind, if I may I am going to recruit conspirators (other posters who will do ANYTHING and ACCEPT ANY SOLUTION above Yaroslavovna dominance) and attempt to explode a small section of the city by moving and piling up excrement to build up sewer gases in a poorly ventilated section, the more reliably the Empress is there the better, but of course accessibility is also an issue.
Any population of Constantinople killed will certainly sing our praises from heaven and exult in the honor of becoming involuntary martyrs for such a cause.

Indeed! Know that I will aid you in any effort devoted to ousting the despicable House of Yaroslav! And why wouldn't I? Was it not founded on the murdered children of St. Valeria herself? Did it not cause and encourage the biggest civil wars ever seen? Did they not butcher the Senate?

No! It cannot stand! I ask this Commonwealth: are you ready to be a tool of Russian foreign policy, the mere Second Rome? Is Rome not worthy of a native dynasty? You have asserted your political relevance once, do it again! Free us from the rule of this dynasty of murderers, who waged war on Rome in the deluge, I remind you! They are not our friends. This new "Empress" is a collar to keep us docile. Rise up!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Empress Justine, a moment of your time? The Orthodoxy of Russia is admired by all true believers, but here in Rome, we have been somewhat sidelined, wrongfully. You are in need of allies here, to cement your rule in the face of dangerous malcontents.

All we ask is that you restore Orthodoxy to its rightful place, and assist in the re-education efforts against the bogomil pagans infesting far too much of our Commonwealth. Restoring them to the true orthodoxy, and restoring the authority of the Patriarch, will net you the allegiance of the Church and its supporters, and with them, security for your reign.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Glad to have your support Lord Cyrahzax.

Tomn posted:

Even if he didn't pick up on that himself, the Black Chamber did. I'm pretty sure the executions were described as the Black Chamber getting annoyed about people falsely claiming membership, not the Emperor being pissy about spies.

Nope, canon has it he had Senators executed for supporting the Black Chamber.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Sep 1, 2014

Cestrian
Nov 5, 2011
Also the von Habsburgs having a member of literally every single religion in the world in their family just in case they're needed to run another country is the best.

I want to meet the buddhist von habsburg chilling in glasgow and waiting for the call from tibet.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Any sort of change never fails to bring out the roaches among the useless and inexplicably still existent edifice that once might have been the roman senators. One dynasty is as good or as bad as any other, the only thing that has ever mattered is the skill of the individual. Frankly, this woman is exactly what we want: a warrior. Speaking of things we want, if you think she'll be making any grand restoration of the rightful authority of some-or-another set of assholes who run a jumped-up chapel, not only are you as dumb as you look and sound, you're also setting yourself up for disappointment.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

NewMars posted:

Speaking of things we want, if you think she'll be making any grand restoration of the rightful authority of some-or-another set of assholes who run a jumped-up chapel, not only are you as dumb as you look and sound, you're also setting yourself up for disappointment.

Is it better to take a chance at getting something positive, or to be silent and be sure of getting nothing? There is no downside to the request: If it is granted, there is a benefit, if it is denied, the status quo continues. There are no wholly unacceptable outcomes, therefore it is foolish not to try for the best.

I am under no illusions here. There is a slim chance of any kind of success, but there is nothing to be lost.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

AJ_Impy posted:

Is it better to take a chance at getting something positive, or to be silent and be sure of getting nothing? There is no downside to the request: If it is granted, there is a benefit, if it is denied, the status quo continues. There are no wholly unacceptable outcomes, therefore it is foolish not to try for the best.

I am under no illusions here. There is a slim chance of any kind of success, but there is nothing to be lost.

Well drat, that's the first thing I've heard here that's made any sense. I like you, you're way better then that guy who wants to engineer the most complicated assassination in history using a group that has so far proven itself, in the absence of delegated political authority, completely unable to: A. Find their own rear end with both hands. B.Get out of bed without a butler and C. Fit through a door without a girdle.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

And while the world turns, the ruling dynasty swaps off, and new ideologies are born, Athens waits and grows. The time is not yet right, but it will be, eventually. And when the Great Revolution comes, it would make Gümülcineli so green with envy, you could stick him on the map and call him Russia. But not now.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Pfft, ok, the Tsar wasn't the most popular guy around. Maybe it was the summary executions, maybe it was the way he dragged the entire court to Novgorod as human shields, maybe it was the fact that he set off a massive series of civil wars by getting himself and the court blasted across several acres of Russia barely a year after his coronation. poo poo happens.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, he wasn't great, but if you made a list of our five worst Emperors he wouldn't be on it.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Readingaccount posted:

Nope, canon has it he had Senators executed for supporting the Black Chamber.

Rincewind posted:

: You are accused of falsely assuming the dignity of the office of the Black Chamber, plotting against the rightful emperor of Kiev-Byzantium, and treason.
: I sentence you to death.

How long is your family going to hold a grudge, man, it's been centuries! Let it go!

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
The more things change...

But hey, at least they're not putting us in a personal union or anything. Long as this lady doesn't get any funky ideas about loving over the Commonwealth, we should all get along famously when it comes to liberating the rest of Anatolia. Also, any reason why we haven't taken a bite out of Ferrara yet?

Cestrian
Nov 5, 2011

Erwin the German posted:

Also, any reason why we haven't taken a bite out of Ferrara yet?

Ferrara are one of the only other Orthodox nations in the world (There were 9 in the last state of the world but one was crete who no longer exist, so I'm guessing it's just rome, russia, lithuania, scandinavia, ferrara and 3 others left (Pomerania, maybe?)). It would be a shame to declare war on them.

They might be willing to accept peaceful vassalisation, given they're tiny, only border rome and have the same religion.

Cestrian fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 1, 2014

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
You're all nuts. There is no "Black Chamber." Do not talk about this "Black Chamber." Do not think about this "Black Chamber." Do not make threats concerning murdering the Empress towards this "Black Chamber."

You stay alive longer that way.

Erum, ehem.

I just now seem to have noticed that the Haida are in the Galapagos.

Empress, I suggest that, in spite of any alliances, we never set a single Roman foot on the soil of Avalon. For reasons of ensuring the sanity of Roman citizens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.
You should listen to all of the wannabe Senators here and follow all and every last one of their wishes.

Can't wait to see Rome ex- and implode again

• Locked thread