Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Voting B

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

A We need a better time to strike, while the enemy might be spread out, bear in mind inevitably they will bring enough force down upon us and force us to cede that land, plus for every day that we have to keep out men rallied to fight a futile defense, we're spending money, which we need to save to pay down the debt. Lets live to fight another day and focus on whats important, TAKING BACK OUR LAND FRO THOSE DAMNED BULGARIANS!

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
My friends, I too offer my condolences to the Imperial family and offer my prayers. As we look at yet another rebellion which threatens our lands, we must look inward and ask ourselves the question of why does this happen to our most righteous and just empire and its rulers? The Komnenos have ruled fairly and have demonstrated great wisdom and bravery since the great Alexios restored us. While our beloved empress was slain by a bishop, we must realize that this bishop was lead astray by a group of misbegotten Douxs.

We will deliver righteous justice upon these rebels, make no mistake about this, the traitors and their ilk will receive their just reward, but my fellow senators, I ask you, then what?

How long until yet another Doux or group of Douxs get delusions of grandeur and decided to plunge our beloved realm into yet another civil war? How much more innocent blood will be spilled across Anatolia and the Black Sea to satiate the ambitions of petty lords? How many more of our beloved emperors and empresses must die? How long before we realize that this rot will never vanish until more permanent measures are taken stamp out the power of these miscreants?

The only vassals so far who have remained true to us have been our merchants and money lenders who have kept our economy afloat by generously extending a hand to us in our time of need and the priests and bishops of the Holy Church who have rallied the faithful to our cause.

But what of the parties and their solutions? None are to be had! The Old Romans just gaze wistfully at maps and old heraldry. The New Byzantines, for all their road building and dislike of the nobles, refuse to advocate the needed course of action to truly make this a New Byzantium! The Milvians and Komnenians only look to one part of the empire for a solution, when a solution involving greater aspects are needed. The Traitorous Papists? Need I say more *spits*

If none of these factions will take the next step, then I have no choice but to establish a new group, one that seeks to establish the great change needed to secure Byzantium!

Therefore, I hereby establish the Adelfikí Synénosi here we will take upon ourselves the mission to break the power of the nobility once and for all and establish a harmonious state, one ruled at the center by the Komnenos and supported by the types of vassals that have demonstrated themselves to be true to Byzantium, the patricians and the priests.

What we will do is such, as nobles commit treason, we will strip them of their titles. Their douxies and even their counties. Once we confiscate thee traitors lands, we will allocate them to the loyal patrician families and to the Orthodox church. Themes will be allocated on such a measure as well. If nobles still have to exist, they will be broken down into small counties, one or two provinces at most, the only noble family that should have any ascent is the Komnenos family.

As for expansion, our focus should first be on bringing the traitorous Bulgarians back into the fold, in addition, we must secure our whole region before we look elsewhere, given the large area around it, we should be focusing on the areas surrounding the Agean and Black Sea. In Asia Minor, we must take back our lands stolen by the Moslem invaders, we must also bring the wayward province of Cicisa back into the fold. In the Black Sea Area, we must finish our encirclement of the sea, let Byzantium be it's sole master.

Join now, and together we can forge a grand Byzantium, with the wealth of the merchants, the righteousness of god and the wisdom and power of the imperial family an even greater empire will emerge!

The circle represents the merchant coin, the Chi rho the Church and the double headed eagle the imperial family. Purple for the traditional background.

Jimmy4400nav fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 22, 2014

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Ofaloaf posted:

I want to take this opportunity to point out that an Orthodox priest killed our revered Empress.

A priest lead astray by the vile Douxs that plague our empire like locusts. Never forget it was the nobles that launched this war, not the priest, his crime was being a loyal vassal and murdering our empress, not being one of the vile conspirators who constantly tries to seize power for themselves.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

YF-23 posted:

Adelfikí Synénosi, as Synénosi is female-gendered and -os is male whereas -i (with a heta (Ηη)) is female (-o is gender-neutral). :eng101:

Fixed that, thank you!

sniper4625 posted:

So uh...do you want me to keep it?

Edit: Here's what I have so far. For a banner, an English name would be great! I've heard Fraternalists suggested, up to you.

This looks awesome, sorry about the Eagle, so just double checking (its late over here sorry), the Komenian symbol was a simple K? I wanted to try and include the symbol of the family in the middle, but if its the letter then it might not go will with the Chi Rho, in which case then the purple might symbolize the royal family.

Actually, would it be possible to replace the Chi Rho with the Staurogram, and then on one side have a K and the other side and R? I remember the Komenous of Rome suggestion someone had on page 3.

Fraternalists sounds cool, I just want to stress that while Fraternal sounds male gender its merely for the sake of convenience and not to indicate the superiority or inferiority of one gender!

NewMars posted:

AWESOME PROPOSAL

Temporary Symbol, Under Construction

I support this.

Jimmy4400nav fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 22, 2014

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Flesnolk posted:

On their behalf, but at their behest? We have no proof of that, nor did we see the claimant on the battlefield. We have an army of spies, led by a capable Mystikos, who have been waging a shadow war with the Turks; surely keeping an eye on the factions within a few despotates would be within their power, and if all else fails? A knife in the dark is worth a thousand swords.

Except as a man, our Mystikos will eventually pass, and what of his successor? Will he be just as capable? Our beloved empress was able to wage an effective shadow war against the Bulgarians and the Turks, but that was due in part of having the right man in the right place at the right time, can we always assume that.

Placing more power in the hands of a few nobles? No! Despots would be even worse than Douxs, at least with a vile Doux we can revoke their title in the event of their uprising without concern for reprisal or the health of the empire. A despot, that would be even more difficult. Plus too, as bad as the Doux rebellions are, imagine how much worse a Despot rebelling would be, they each could take much more the land with them in rebellion or worse, secession.

Lets learn from the past, remember the Tetrarchy under Diocletian, while it allowed Byzantium to become the true power it is today, it also was one of the main reasons Rome became so weak towards the end. Desposts would become the new Tetrarchy for Byzantium, do not allow this to happen my friends. Concentrating more power into those who are basically Doux 2.0 will never end well.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

## Vote for Fraternalists

I think it goes without saying we can agree with the cross platform idea of more soldiers in the standing army. Having a wealthy merchant republic in our hands definitely allows for more money to go into recruiting soldiers and building support facilities for that.

Now onto business, while yes people have been proposing various ideas for expansion, I feel that our first priority must be the security of the Anatolian peninsula. Those occupied provinces need to go, as in we need to take them back and return them to the fold for the empire.

Right now our main strategic are a of interest is concentrated around the Aegean, Black and Cilicia Seas, therefore it makes the most sense, for right now anyways (I know that many of you have designs and desires beyond those boundaries), to consolidate and concentrate in these areas. Specifically to build up enough and conquer enough to make sure we maintain complete and unquestioned dominance of this area. Under this ABC plan, we will should take the following actions:

1. Reconquer the areas of Asia Minor that have been taken by the Turks

2. Either through conquest, intrigue or marriage, bring Cilicia back into the fold.

3. Conquer the coastal areas Hashimid to complete our strategic encirclement of the Black Sea.

4. Slowly remove the influence of Genoease and Venetian merchants from our areas of the area by finding ways to remove their trade posts and or incorporate their provinces near us into the empire. Merchants under the righteous auspice of the Byzantine Empire should be the ones to profit from our regions.

5. Establish another merchant republic or two in the actual Mediterranean region. Not only will this open the door to more money for the empire, it will also ensure the merchants of Crimea aren't our sole source of a large amount of income. Furthermore, more merchant republics in our Empire competing against each other for money and influence amount themselves will spend less time trying to plot against the throne.

Once we've secured our influence in these three areas, we'll have a solid foothold for expansion into any region we want. If we want to go towards the Holy Land, we can do that, if we want to go East, we can do that, if we want to take Egypt, we can do that, if we randomly want to go North we can do that. By consolidating and focusing in this prime region we give ourselves the means and ability to do so. More merchants means more money for the empire, which means more soldiers, more buildings and more resources for us to enact our plans.

Vote Fraternalists, or if you're set on your faction, then support the ABC plan to give the Empire its needed security and resources!

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

NewMars posted:

There are only three colors worth speaking of: Red, Gold and purple. :colbert:

...I would like to see some more purple.

You rang? :smug:

But as my fellow Fraternalist Sinner Sandwich mentioned if we truly want to make our Empire more powerful, we have to address the rot that plague us. Yes the merchants and priests have on occasion moved against the Empire, but compared to the Douxes? Plus we have to realize that compared to those treasonous weasels we get more utility out of our merchant lords and even our bishops. This is why one of the main planks of the Fraternalists faction is remove the Douxes and replace them with either merchant vassals or church vassals. Both vassals provide healthy amounts of gold to the realm, and both have less incentive to try and mess with the Empire. The merchants are usually content so long as they continue to make money, and so long as a Emperor is pious, the church vassals have little reason to stir up trouble. Like any man, there can be problems, a wayward member of the imperial family might try and sway these rulers, its true, but the use of these two vassals is greater than that of those bastard hell spawn Douxes, who merely plot to gain more power for themselves, who, as a spymaster of a distant land once said, would be happy to let the empire burn so long as they could rule the ashes. We must not tolerate these parasites on the empire. Support the Fraternalists and we can secure the means to let this glorious empire spread to whatever end it wishes.

Also, I would like to reiterate the proposed ABC plan from earlier if execute that plan and expand and conquer in that fashion, we can have a perfect springboard to go in any direction we wish. All factions I feel would like the empire to have this ability to if nothing else expand in the direction they wish.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Rejected Fate posted:

While your stance on the Steppe beyond the Crimea is an... odd one, your stance on merchant republics and money is that of the Fraternalists!

Join us, brother! It is a pity we are outnumbered even by the heretics at the moment.

We will bide our time and continue to gather support, though it is a sad day when senators more gladly align with Papists and Heathens than with a group dedicated to making the Empire more money to buy stuff and listening to sensible plans like the ABC proposal.

To reiterate:

ABC Plan posted:

Right now our main strategic are a of interest is concentrated around the Aegean, Black and Cilicia Seas, therefore it makes the most sense, for right now anyways (I know that many of you have designs and desires beyond those boundaries), to consolidate and concentrate in these areas. Specifically to build up enough and conquer enough to make sure we maintain complete and unquestioned dominance of this area. Under this ABC plan, we will should take the following actions:

2. Either through conquest, intrigue or marriage, bring Cilicia back into the fold.

3. Conquer the coastal areas Hashimid to complete our strategic encirclement of the Black Sea.

4. Slowly remove the influence of Genoease and Venetian merchants from our areas of the area by finding ways to remove their trade posts and or incorporate their provinces near us into the empire. Merchants under the righteous auspice of the Byzantine Empire should be the ones to profit from our regions.

5. Establish another merchant republic or two in the actual Mediterranean region. Not only will this open the door to more money for the empire, it will also ensure the merchants of Crimea aren't our sole source of a large amount of income. Furthermore, more merchant republics in our Empire competing against each other for money and influence amount themselves will spend less time trying to plot against the throne.

Once we've secured our influence in these three areas, we'll have a solid foothold for expansion into any region we want. If we want to go towards the Holy Land, we can do that, if we want to go East, we can do that, if we want to take Egypt, we can do that, if we randomly want to go North we can do that. By consolidating and focusing in this prime region we give ourselves the means and ability to do so. More merchants means more money for the empire, which means more soldiers, more buildings and more resources for us to enact our plans.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

HenessyHero posted:

*checks thread, finds utterly balkanized senate*

Looks like the politics 'round here are getting a little.... byzantine.

You expected anything less from a Byzantium mega lp? :colbert:

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

RabidWeasel posted:

Guys, Crete isn't going to come back no matter how hard you try, let's just let this thread do its own awesome cool thing without pushing the wacky Senate shenanigans thing too hard :shobon:

Goons are a lot like the Old Romans, we're constantly trying to bring back an often romanticized institution of our glorious past because we remember the grand larger parts of it which were cool.funny/fun, but often forget the long slogs and grinds.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

AJ_Impy posted:

Expansionist Coalition. We want more land!

I think this is a coalition we can get behind (much like the Nova Marians), in fact I was wondering if the Expantionalists had looked at our ABC plan, its all about conquest and expansion, only with a small bit of focus, mainly being used as a stepping stone to greater eventual conquests.

ABC Plan posted:

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Man, what's the closest thing "gently caress Traitors" party out there? I identified with the Kommenians but then they started saying make all teh Doux one when the most important thing should be loyalty. A blood tie to the royal family from centuries ago is not enough.

The patricians seem nice in that they aren't Doux but we've seen that they're just as capable of being filthy traitors. The ABC expansion plan sounds pretty good, maybe add annexing Venice someone in there?

True they have that capability, but the Fraternalist stance has always been, at least with these assholes we get piles more gold from them to make better stuff for the empire.

Blackunknown posted:

Steppes and Republics

I would like to propose suggestions for some courses of action for which our nation would benefit from.

1. Conquering the coastline of the Black Sea as to completely control trade there.

2. Conquer Cilicia to create a Merchant Republic to profit from trade in the Holy Land.

3. Embargo the Venetians then tear down their trade posts and confiscate the assets within.

Friend, again you ideas and focuses fall pretty much directly in line with the Fraternalist ideals and our ABC proposal, perhaps we can work together to accomplish much.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Blackunknown posted:

Steppes and Republics

Our party would gladly join a coalition of other parties that expresses interests in expansion and mercantilism such as yours as long as our party would keep it's individual interests.

Sure, I mean the focus on the steppes is a tad. . .different, but considering we both want to see more mercantalistic republics in the Empire, I can see us working in coalition with each other to promote interests. I take it you're interested in the ABC proposal?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

You are right on trade revenue. The Komnenoi have given you steppe invaders a monopoly over the Empire, over Greeks! They have allowed you a vassal king, as if you were more worthy than the formerly Roman and Orthodox Vlachs you continue to oppress! Already these mistakes have cost Roman lives, Roman money, and Roman honor! Rebellions will continue to bankrolled by you foreigners until you are free of the Empire, which is why the entire area must be Romanized.

You can have your steppes, but learn Greek. Participate in millennia of glory! Become our true brothers. Forget your pagan ways, forever.

I just want to point out that the ABC proposal seeks to rectify the complete monopoly Crimea has by requesting that more republic be created so we're not wholey dependent on Crimea for our wealth. More Republics, more money, and more chances to install Greek rulers in those new republics. Just saying.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

I'm happy to see that we'll be taking some action against the Venetians, but again, I would like to implore my fellow senators, and even the Empress herself to establish more trade republics when we take more land. Having one or two republics is jut a recipe for monopoly, whereas more republics under our control ensure that 1) We have more money flowing into the imperial coffers, 2) the republics will be too busy trying to one up each other to get profit so they'll be less inclined to muck up the system and 3) A multitude of republics ensures we don't delineate too much money making power to just one or two parts of the Empire. Also making a few religious vassals would be good too, they provide money to the imperial coffers AND ensure the piety of the nation. Plus all this means there are less vile DOUXES holding power, which is always a plus.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

I too applaud our decision to place more taxes on the merchants, that's why the Fraternalists supported the creation of republics, yeah they might be back stabbing assholes sometimes, but at least you can get a ton of money off them for the empire.

Actually, I was going to propose Antioch be given to the Church, given its holy importance to us. We have to remember one of our planks as the Fraternalistsis the creation of more republic AND church vassals and less vile DOUXS.

Though that does remind me, we should be looking at the map and figuring out where to potentially place more merchant republics either from conquered land or when we inevitably have to revoke the titles of more DOUXS. Crimea dominates the black sea, and once we add Venice to the Empire, we'll have some nice control over Adriatic and some Aegean trade. For Levant trade, Cilicia might be a better bet for propping up a republic.

Also if any of the Greek DOUXS rebel, it might be worthwhile to create a republic there too, given the peninsula's central position.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

##Vote Fraternalists

##Vote Phanariotes

I agree with the sentiment of my fellow Fraternalist, we must make sure all Mediterranean trade is under the control of the Byzantine Empire, plus as I've said, more merchants means more money, and more competition between merchants dilutes their power and makes them more likely to stab each other rather than us. Also I think it goes without saying that as soon as possible, a theme under the control of the bishop of Antioch should be created, more religious vassals means less DOUXS!!!!! For us to worry about.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Rejected Fate posted:

Fraternalists

New Byzantines

Ah, I forgot to put my affiliation in my proposal. I believe the Fraternalists should now be a sub-party of the New Byzantines, especially as the similar party of Steppes and Republics is with them too, although I do not know if my fellow Fraternalist agrees with me.

Fraternalists

I was actually thinking we should be aligned with the The Milvians. While yes we have a lot of economic policy similar to the New Byzantines and we can certainly have a good relationship with them, bear in mind the main plank of the Fraternalists has and always be getting rid of as many DOUXS! As possible, so we've advocated more republics and bishoprics. Basically advocating the utility of these two types of vassals over DOUXS! Plus we can help the church folk get some better ecconomic policy and clout in the debate hall.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Rincewind posted:

The New Byzantines (NB)
--Steppes and Republics (SR)
--Loyalists (LY)
--Fraternalists (FR)
--Centrists (CN)

The Milvians (ML)

Just a small housekeeping matter, the Fraternalists joined up with the Milvians as a subparty a little bit ago, while we're certainly friendly with the New Byzantines, officially we're not one of their sub parties.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Rejected Fate posted:

##Vote Fraternalists

##Vote Phanariotes

Down with Pisa, embargo the Somali and establish a trade republic in the Levant!

##Vote Fraternalists

##Vote Phanariotes

Well said by my fellow compatriot, we need a Levant trade republic to compete with Somali and we need to disrupt the flow of trade from Somalia

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

##Sponsor the Valerian Order Establishment Act.

With the truth of the proper form of Christianity finally reaching the heretics to the west, it only behooves us to ensure that the new influx of pilgrims and other faithful worships who travel around the empire will have adequate protection. We should also give this order and any other holy order who wishes to join the Empire land so that it may better build up its self to protect the faithful in need. Certain islands in the Mediterranean might be our best bet for such bases. Cyprus, Crete, Malta to name a few. Being isolated from mainland politics while still in the Empire will also allow these order to maintain themselves above the temporal squabbles of the vile DOUXS as well, while giving these stalwart defenders of Christianity easy access to our trade lanes to ensure only the finest equipment is provided to them.

## Sponsor the Jewish Reward Act

We must respect one of the most sacred precepts of Christ, that of charity. While our more backwards cousins in Europe have been satiating their ignorant blood-lust and superstitious visions of daemons on the Jewish people. Yet have we seen that here? No! Time and time again, from the earliest days of Alexios through our glorious restoration, the Jews have been there to lend monetary aid to the Empire, aid which time and time again helped to be our salvation. Did they commit usury? Yes, but considering our dire straights, they could have easily given us harsher contracts, yet they didn't. When the empire needed extensions on the loans taken, they were granted without hesitation. Now some here, like those in Unitas would claim that having a religious and linguistic group who is different would be bad for our Empire, well I say if not for the Jews there would be no empire! The Varangian may have lend us their swords and bodies, but to use such a potent force, to utilize all the soldiers and mercenaries who fought and died for this glorious empire, all that was because of Jewish aid.

## Sponsor The Varangian Reward Act

And of course, who could forget those noble soldiers who time and time again fell against the sword of our foes and gave their lives for Rome? I think it goes without saying they should be rewarded. While holy Jerusalem might be a tad large for them (I'd prefer to give it to the Patriarch of Jerusalem), I am all in favor of rewarding this noble cadre of soldiers with land and titles for the long and prestigious service.

## Merchant Levant Act

While ideally we should boycott Somalia, we also need to form our own republic to serve as a bulwark against the advancement of the Somali merchant, last I checked this was Rome, we don't use the dinar here! I say we beat those bastards at their own game and flood them with the finest of good that only a magnificent place like Rome can provide.

## Sponsor The Tri-Lingual Literacy Act

Look, while yes Greek is the greatest of the civilized tongues, we need to face reality and realize that we're in possession of an Empire that stretches half the Mediterranean. While we can slowly educate nobles and the like, actually supplanting a language of an entire region will be difficult and encourages unrest, rebellions and vile DOUXS rallying to their banner people wanted to "protect" their heritage. I think it would be a lot easier if we can all agree that if a ruler is willing to bend the knee and acknoledge the benevolent leadership of our Emperors and Empresses, we'll be good.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Adept Nightingale posted:

I must concur, Senator Jimmy, and ask you to please reconsider your support for the Jewish Reward Act. People have been bandying about the term "un-Milvian" back and forth for some time now over simple military bills, but if anything is not fit for a senator aligned with our party, it is the notion of giving land to peoples of heathen faiths, however loyal to the Empire.

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

So, that is your plan? Impose heathen rule on heathens, then leave? It is unrighteous. It is ungodly. It is unholy! Not only that, but is an insult to the men you want to honor. I can see it now: "Thank you, O Romans, for this barren patch of Africa, for these hordes of resentful new subjects, and for putting us near such wonderful natives!" Fool. The overthrow of these Jews would be inevitable without our support, and I will not see Christian lives wasted on blasphemers!

As for you, Qutuzid, the Patriarch is subject to the Emperor. They all are. The Orthodox Church is an instrument of Imperial authority, and the Emperor has say in all Church matters. You bring up the Caliphate, and that is the finest example of the kind of empire we should be. The Arabs molded all the people the conquered in their image, and their combination of religion and state led to one of the most powerful realms that ever exited! Their sins and blasphemies destroyed them, but not before they destroyed Persia and our southern provinces. I see them as a lesson from God. Models in all but faith.

While some of the senators, including those in my parent party raise concerns about up creating a Jewish location outside our lands, let me posit this to you. We're it not for the Jews, the divine revelation of God and his first covenant would not have been brought to the Earth. Did not Abraham become the father of all those who follow the one true god? We must remember Jesus's sacrifice created a new covenant, one with EVERY human, not just the Jews. Jesus preached not about the failings of the Jews, but rather of the petty politics and factions within ancient Judea which had diluted faith towards God. Jesus was born and died a Jew, living in a Jewish land that was ruled by the old Romans and was executed on orders of the old Romans. Unlike the heathen Muslims who follow the teachings of the false prophet Muhammad, the Jews follow the faith and traditions laid out in the Old Testament. While they may not accept Jesus, they sill follow many tenets of our faith.

While it may at first glance to be "un-Milvian" to give conquered land to a non-Orthodox ruler, remember, when the heathens were knocking on our gates, when Rome need was dire, it was the Jews who came to our aid. Time and time again they did this, despite Christendom's harsh and often violent rejection of them, they still came to our aid. Now, years later, secure now in our position, we now have a chance to reward those very people who time and time again gave us the means to save our empire.

Think too on this, the Muslims allow Jews to practice freely in their lands so long as they pay more taxes. We're saying to our Jews "oh thanks for saving us time and time again, now abandon your ways of life and faith!". Come now senators, when it comes to the people who are the originators of our faith and the people who saved our Empire several times over, I believe we can give a little leeway to a small province in a part of Africa. Before the humble representative from Unitas come screaming that this is just the slippery slope for "tolerance", I'd only support apart of Africa or Spain for this and this would be solely a special case given the circumstances. The Muslim provinces we conquer should of course be converted, as with any pagan or heretical province we take, all I ask is that we follow a basic principle of Christendom and give charity to a people that have been pushed down time and time again, yet rose to protect our most serene and holy empire.

Plus having buffers and allies outside of Rome was a practice the old empire did as well, the only reason it failed was because of improper fiscal policy within the empire that drove the Empire to absorbed its buffers so it could create a larger tax base and pool for recruiting soldiers*. I think our wise emperors and empresses have laid out proper structures so that this scenario won't happen now

*This among several other reasons, seriously you could write books on the growth of Rome and how it lead to its decline.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Argh! I'm free! Finally! Those vile DOUXS were keeping me imprisoned in a basement! What have I missed in my years absent, quick to a history scroll!

. . .

My god, so much has happened in our great empire, and now the future is so fluid an uncertain. So many of our prosperous republic have seceded and even some of our religious holdings have left as well. While the fraternalists always advocated for the later two of the vassals since at least the theory went, we got more utility our of the bastards even if they were just as likely to plunge a dagger in the back of the emperors/empresses. But now though, as the state continues to advance, I'm finding it more and more difficult to reconcile this notion with the unpleasantness realities facing us. We need our merchants to make money, and we need our priests to shepherd to the various flocks that live under our banner (we still don't need the DOUXS though). But actually landing these persons and giving them political control and power seems to breed instability.

I see so many of my fellow senators standing here extolling ideals, senses of identity, focuses our state should take and such. While all are fine academic notions, they still fail to principle address a fundamental issue our great empire has always faced how shall we govern our selves?. The Komnenians would have us just serve whoever sits on the throne without question, the Republican and Old Romans want as much of the old ideas of Rome to be our governing principle, the various religious organizations want more religion in our government, the Discordians want. . .well whatever they want. None of this is a solid foundation senators, while I would love for our emperors and empresses to be infallible, recent evidence has suggested that this sadly is no longer the case. Republicans and Old Romans want us to go to the old way, never mind the old way didn't work the first time. The Discordians have so freaking crazy ideas.

We need a centralized rule, not all power consolidated in the hands of the monarch, but also in the hands of a powerful administrative apparatus, loyal to no organization save the state and its continuing function. Can you not see it senators, a new world, one where we the senate provide humble and just advice to our glorious rulers and nation, all while the sovereign organ is maintained and ordered by an array of offices, bureaucrats and other apparatus of the hypothetical state. Imagine, no more DOUXS, but also no more petty vassals feuding over everything, everything functioning as one harmonious state.

The past Senators is just that, the past, we need to Let It Go
We need to make something new, become that which we were meant.
As proud members of the Byzantine Empire, we should strive to be more Administrative and Economic. This will grant us the final liberation we seek, freedom from the DOUXS, religious lords and merchant lords and consolidate ourselves into one empire, a fraternal order by which we are all apart of it.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Voting A

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Rejected Fate posted:

### Refound the Fraternalists

In the wake of the reshaping of our Empire and the decreasing of douxal power, I would like to refound the Fraternalists into a new aim - a mercantile aim. Brothers, are we no Roman one and all? But what is it that bind us? Is it our faith? Nay, for there are others who follow the holy Faith, yet they are not Rome. Is it our language? Nay, for is it not true that we enshrine three languages? No, let it be the coinage that we exchange and prosper with that binds us. Brotherhood through wealth, brotherhood through prosperity!

So I say brothers, let us be a shining beacon of prosperity in this land. Let men come far and wide, to learn from us and to trade with us. We need not the sword, brothers, we need only the coin.

In-game we are a party that focuses on trade, diplomacy and naval power. We are also, generally, against war unless it helps trade.

## Join the Fraternalists

Ah its good to see the old party reform and re brand its self in this new time. Mercantile endeavors always suit us quite nicely and with this new era for Rome, a healthy focus on the economy will be supremely important to maintaining the health of the state, the military an the church. Remember my fellow Romans, if you want shiny swords, parchment or candles, or even just some booze to get drunk in the senate hall once more, you need a strong backing and a lot of coin, so lets work to make Rome the greatest not only in name, military, faith and prestige, but also in coin as well.

Furthermore I suggest we break bread with the fellows in the Adventurer Merchants, Craftsmen League and Steps and Republics to work together towards our similar goals of good commerce.

If we need a face for our party, I'm your man!

Senator Constantine Ischyrós

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Blackunknown posted:

Of Mongols and Merchants

But what shall we call this coalition? The Mercantile League has a nice ring to it but seems plain all things considered.

Hmmm. We could go with:

Ordo Empóro̱n
Pan-Roman Company
Novus Mercator
Coalition of Audacious State Helpers
Disregard Turks, Acquire Currency Organization

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Rejected Fate posted:

I quite like Novus Mercator for our caucus.

Although quite likely we'll end up as sub-parties of the Adventurous Merchants. Which I'm not unhappy with, they're cool guys. I just wanted to revive the Fraternalists as a show of loyalty.

Whats nice is, if our caucus does succeed in coming together, then each group has its own nice niche it can fill, the Adventurous Merchants for all our overseas trade and swashbuckling, the Craftsmen for all of our internal economic matters and guilds, Of Mongols and Merchants helps coordinate the frontier economy while the Fraternalists are more the internal merchants and bankers. Together we form a nice cross section of the important economic interests of the Empire.

Our happy little group, all united behind the sexy sexy idea of economics.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Since it seems like it had broad support, I'm excited for the prospects of the Novus Mercator Coalition. Obviously the Adventurer Merchants are the largest constituency, but I hope we'll all be able to pull together to focus on what's really important, more important than pretty borders and xenophobia, a healthy, well developed economy.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Fellow members of the Novus Mercator Coalition, now that we've organized a bit more I believe our first order of business should be this, we need a snazzy symbol to indicate our position as an alliance of economic interests for this great empire. I know I'm just a member, but I feel this will help us coordinate better!

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

AJ_Impy posted:

Oh hey, that gives the Neo-Milvians the Sisters of Battle!

:flame::hf::catholic:

So does that makes Novus Mercator the Rogue Traders then? :cheers:

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Voting B

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Jimmy4400nav posted:

##Vote C. Proportional Voting System

Before we can implement any other kind of political reform, we must first ensure that the system people are voting in can actually fairly apportion votes and representation to the voters themselves. All must have a voice in the arena of politics and that voice must matter, otherwise we'll be forced to simply listen to the Jullian, Junonian or Capitolino over and over. A Proportional Voting systems will ensure that any fresh blood we get in the legislature and political field can be heard, rather than having to claw its way up past far unreasonable standards implemented by the big three.

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

##Vote F. Secret Ballot Political Parties

What a world we live in! The ravenous and frothing hordes of revolution seek to devour everything, everything, and the common man has no defense against their radicalism! Tradition is destroyed, faith disregarded, mocked, and all the accomplishments of the past are thrown away! I weep for Europe, where ideologies wage war: both of them wrong! In this Republic, therefore, I will see the innocent protected, and give common man the tools and power to collar the revolutionary beast.

I firmly believe, like all the Cyrahzaxes before me, that only one thing can save Europe: Rome! Not the pretenders in Russia, Da Qin and Germany, not the decadent monarchy of the accursed Yaroslavoviches or any other dynasty, but a State with history, dignity, and power! One to dissolve the feuding masses of Europe, to make one people, finally ready to truly challenge the world! So, let the Romans come forth, let them vote, and let our destiny be unimpeded by the thugs of the hiratine!

My dear Cyrahzax, while I do agree secret ballots can be quite useful, I feel if you truly wish to collar this beast, voting for proportional representation might better serve that goal. While "more" democracy might seem paradoxical, it will ensure the more moderate and concerned voices will be heard. Imagine if in the past, the noble Unitas, which your family so strongly advocated, had a voice in government that had to be heard, not simply brushed aside? Where would our noble nation be had we been forced to heed the words of your fore-bearers? We cannot undo the past, but we can ensure the future is forced to listen to wisdom, wherever it may come by.

Jimmy4400nav fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 6, 2014

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
*Crap, I meant to do an edit, my bad*

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Josip Kovač, Dubrovnik Polis

##Support the Suspected Crypto-Discordian

With the ascendancy of the Holy Roman Empire, our bulwarks against France have never been stronger, the German land forces and the British Expeditionary Forces all have served as useful hammers to use against our foes, so for the moment we really shouldn't think about discarding them...

That being said though, if we are placed into an uncomfortable situation whereas we must choose one ally over the other, I personally feel that we should favor the British given our long histories, though again I feel it imperative we try and hold both alliances if at all possible. By keeping France surrounded we ensure that any threat it might pose is minimal or at least, one that has to respond to threats on multiple sides.

With the British we get more ships to blockade the French for the ever more important stage of global commerce, which in this era of rapidly expanding war is becoming all to crucial and the HRE gives us more men fighting on the bloody Eastern Front. Losing either isn't a pleasent prospect, for if nothing else, it means more Byzantine blood must be shed in the event of another war. Better a Brit or a German die instead than more of our sons and daughters perish in the field of battle.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

## Support Prudent Diplomat

While of course the reunification of all of Italy under of glorious republic should be an eventual long term goal, the reality is at this time we're facing a a lot of unknown with a depleted armed forces and a war weary population. While the true Byzantine spirit should have us stand firm in the face of all opposition, the reality of this new world of fighting, where thousands of brave men and women perishing on the battlefield in a single day is no longer the rare exception but now the norm, it is difficult of us to ask our people to endure such a burden in our current state.

Let us focus on rebuilding and consolidating our power, given a decade or two we can be more ambitious in our expansions and interactions, and with a refreshed and renewed population.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

As one of the foremost republics and forces of freedom in the world, it behooves us to look to our own internal matters and see what needs cleaning. Our political system is still mired in the older style we established in the dark days of the revolution, when our principles were still untested. Now that we have proven the abilities of our republic and our system, it is on us to improve it more and make it more equitable to the rest of the people in the republic.

I find the idea of electing the uper house based on population to be not good. Two per state ensures our smaller polis are able to have their voices heard equally in the halls of legislation while our lower house is the house of the people. There fore I ##Support the Semi-reputable Jurist

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
So I have a mechanical question for Victoria 2. I've noticed that while Battleships/Dreadnoughts have stronger hulls and more attack, Cruisers are way cheaper and they have torpedo attacks. So for combat is it better to have more cruisers or a few battleships?

I ask because I was wondering if this was Paradox's way of modeling the Battleship arms race, big expensive things that while individually powerful, can still be swarmed by a lot of smaller, cheaper units.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

##Vote A: Support the Republic

We just spent the past few decades kicking Frances rear end and if it wasn't for China we'd be on top! Now the people who kept arguing for us to go to war which lead to our current problem are whining that the republic isn't working and we need a King!

It clear that the problem is these reactionaries and their mad quest to bring back an imagined glorious pass.

Plus what more is a king than a glorified DOUX!?!?!! :argh:

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Skyfinder posted:

Better luck next time.

It's a shame too, because I was pulling for a bit of a late game shakeup to really put some color into the current version of the Byzantine state, which has been feeling a bit identity-less in the Republic phase. I really can't string together much of a singular national identity from the Byzantine Republic, which I guess some people would describe as a nice brilliant rainbow, but to me seems a bit grey and muddled.

Ah well, when the Great War comes and goes maybe we'll get a nice big shake-up to the current status quo.

Heck, this might have been the event to really put the republican spirit in the land. The lands of Byzantium uniting* to take down the mad emperor who would have done god knows what with the land, no matter what some of those dubious citations say, I'd never trust a mad king to try and stay a figurehead.

*Nevermind half of our land sided with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
>Declare support the Puppet Emperor

D3m3, your little picture and caption made me laugh like you couldn't believe!

• Locked thread