Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
Loving the bookish bent to all of this; a very refreshing take on the narrative style.

As an aside, how does that assassination event work? Did they actually gun for you, or is that part of the event chain following their formation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

##Vote Byzantium

Excellent LP, by the way.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

##Vote A. Keep it simple, and those assholes deserve to lose power at this point.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

##Vote B. If only because that blurb about a reformed Western tech group sounds more fun.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

As cool sounding as B is, I gotta ##Vote A on this one; Rome without the Orthodoxy is just too weird.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

Jesus gently caress, this was just painful to read. And disheartening in the sense that it'll probably be a while before the next update due to balance issues. :(

First off, gently caress tag switching. You make a Paradox LP about a specific nation, you stick with that until it stops being interesting, at which point it's done. Though we're living in very interesting times, it'd be a bit of a bummer to end on a 'well, we all died' note. I dunno about you guys, but I tend to come into these things with the expectation that we'll be on top, or at least significant in the end. Rises and falls of power are part and parcel for a great narrative, but... yeah. We're getting to that point where it's just a fall.

Switching tags sounds like a total cop-out. Considering Rince is unwilling to replay the update (god knows I would, considering the utterly broken bonuses our enemies had), I guess the next best thing is to give ourselves a fighting chance somehow. And that doesn't mean hand the save off to someone 'good' at the game, that's just as lame as tag-switching to a nation that doesn't blow chunks.

So I guess we mainly need excuses for these enemies of ours to either go after one another, events that force them into civil war, massive rebellions that get them off our backs. Put them into brief declines, at least so we can get our footing. Sure, this is kinda cheating, but I value a good narrative more than skillful playing when it comes to an LP like this. And a ByzWorld without the Byz just sounds depressing as hell considering the time investment.

(I do think a temporary dictator narrative would be a great idea, though, I just dislike the precedent set for actually giving the save to someone else. Considering the circumstances, I think Rince did as well as possible against bleak odds. The game just needs to be unrigged.)

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

Shanakin posted:

He could probably give himself some one time, temporary events to regain a foundation. The trick would be to come up with narative reasons. Alternatively perhaps all of Rome's former lands could be given a lot of revolt events or something.

This is a decent idea, but it'd need to be combined with actual instability in those currently owning the lands. I'm not saying we slap all of our enemies with obscene nerfs, just... some of them. Like the Chinese. If anyone needs obscene nerfs, it's them; I quite enjoy the scrappy Papal States.

Edit: Also, speaking from a gameplay stance, if we're gonna get out of this rut, it needs to be soon. Like, an immediate backhand blow, or we'll never be able to fully recover. I dunno if anyone wants to see another 200 years of Byzantium reclaiming all of their lost lands due to EU4's slow as poo poo war mechanics.

Erwin the German fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 18, 2014

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

Turning off lucky nations and all that nerfy jazz seems like a no-brainer; I think we should focus on brainstorming how to get us out of the rut from a narrative stand-point, since even with all of those being adjusted, we're still hosed due to our position. Something's gotta be done, assuming Rince actually wants our ideas as to how to (narratively) gently caress over the Chinese and friends. If not, I pretty much trust Rince's creativity.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

AJ_Impy posted:

*Roman Tolerance versus Foreign Intransigence: Massive revolts in Anatolia and Magna Graecia against the invaders as cultures that have lived in harmony for generations are rent asunder by Jizya and Inquisition. The resulting patriotic uprisings are truly amazing to behold, and in the case of the chinese neighbours start off a chain reaction leading all the way back to Ming itself, locals everywhere reasserting themselves.

This sounds like a swell idea; especially in that it finally validates our obscene tolerance bent. It also doesn't have to mean nothing but benefits for ourselves, either, as once they're back in the Empire they'll have plenty of room to work with to further liberalize the Empire.

Something that makes our Legions slightly less lovely would also go a long way, if only for a short period to get ourselves back into the black.

Also, if I might suggest something? Once it's all worked out how the mod will be changed to facilitate us not dying like punks, a play-test or two should probably be run to make sure we actually have something to work with. Maybe let Tomn do one, as he seems pretty knowledgeable about the minutia of the game? It'd be pretty lovely to do all of this only for the result to be 'and we died anyway,' although at that point I guess it'd be fate telling us the LP is over and to stop trying. :v:

Edit vvvv: Oh, yeah, the Black Chamber seriously needs to earn their keep.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

sniper4625 posted:

I think our big losses to the first two can reasonably be said to have a role in our defeats by the latter three.

Pretty much. We need breathing room so we can recover, and Tomn is absolutely right in that we can't just rely on game mechanics to naturally cut our biggest enemies down to size, even with the nerfs. They're getting too big to fail without some sort of major shake-up that makes them incapable of continuing to destroy us.

I quite like the idea of a tolerance-driven counter revolution against the invaders, as that would open the door to a more republican narrative. Really going back to the Roman basics, there. As was stated before, this could touch off revolts throughout the Frontier lands anew, only with a more liberal bent. This would pretty much necessitate heavily event-driven wars and revolts, otherwise they'd just squash them, though. Kinda lame to specifically dick them over like that, but what else can we really do?

On the flip side, this is yet another Chinese invasion on our hands. Something akin to another Hungarian League might be enough to turn the tide. This would leave us quite beholden to the whims of greater nations like France, though, and I suspect we'd be in only a slightly better position afterwards, since they have no interest in seeing us properly able to fight again.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

I might as well ##join the Discordians. The status quo is going nowhere fast, and we need something different. Like a Republic. That'd be nice. Say no to bad Chinese, say yes to civil rights, etc. If any of the other parties make a compelling enough argument, I'll probably switch sides, but for now the Empire seems hopelessly quaint compared to what we're up against.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

Tomn posted:

If NewMars is joining the Discordians, I'd be willing to step up and take the reins of the New Marians. His revolutionary stuff isn't exactly a New Marian thing any more - this Senate is in need of a party that actually focuses everything on reforming the military to stop it from getting beaten like a red-headed stepchild, and logically "New Marians" seem like the one to do it.

I'm hoping a New Marian platform will get us some sweet, sweet discipline bonuses. Infantry combat would be just fine, though.

I dig what you're saying, but I'm sorta hoping this whole Republican bent will encourage all the recent conquests to rise up to rejoin us in some fashion, as well as further destabilizing our enemies.

Edit: Plus, it's just cooler, narratively speaking. Desperate times, and all that. It's either this or balls to the wall dictatorship.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

Tomn posted:

Honestly, if the conquered peoples rise up and successfully break free of their overlords, I'm not seeing a whole lot of reason for them to rejoin Rome. They can fight for and protect their own rights - what do they need Rome for? Especially now that Rome has become this whole new thing that's making a big deal of democracy and freedom and hey, why shouldn't we have some of it too? Wouldn't they be even MORE free outside of Rome? Doubly so since Rome is a complete joke right now without a whole lot of international pull and with a long history of getting its rear end kicked. It'd be like Poland breaking free of Tsarist Russia, declaring a Communist revolution, and then willingly annexing itself to the USSR.

Spreading our ideals is all very well, but the thing about ideals is that they don't always neatly serve nationalist purposes.

They've been Roman citizens for a while now; the obligatory good-natured idea is that they'll want to come back since we're so tolerant and free... not to mention, they probably wouldn't be able to successfully break away without the help of an actual army, even one as whipped as ours. Of course, that's where the New Marian agenda comes in, which I can respect. You could always bring some of that militant mindset to the Discordians! :v:

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

History has shown that we're way better at murdering Douxes than we are at Chinese! Plus, if they're ruled by those assholes, we won't even have to feel bad about destroying their hard-earned freedom in favor of our own brand. Real point being, though, I'd rather touch off a bunch of revolts than focus on a stronger army, as I don't think that alone will pull our rear end out of the fire. It'd certainly help, but...

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

I guess I should specify that I, too, think normal revolts won't do dick all against our enemies. When I say revolts, I'm holding out for modded in revolts to take the rug out from under the Chinese. That was way more viable in CK2, but not really in EU4, sadly. And with enough of those in their home provinces, too... well, one can hope.

As for a Republican political party down the line, I'd be down.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

##Support the Patrician Philosopher.

That being said, I don't think we owe her or her family dick all. But starting off things with regicide sounds like a foul way to kick off something new.

Also, just saying, but that co-op thing someone suggested would probably help us out a lot if Rince isn't confident enough to get us out of this rut; plus, she might take a pointer or two if someone particularly skilled plays in the backseat. Only problem with co-op is that one player tends to get all the events (which shouldn't be an issue so long as they take screenshots, I guess).

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

I'd be happy with a constitutional monarchy, to be honest. Kinda what I'm holding out for with my vote, personally.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

Pretty sure it's the new newbie avatar.

Edit: beaten like a red-headed stepchild

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

##Support the Scholarly Civil Servant

For the Republic and all that jazz. Just cause it's a Chinese concept doesn't mean we gotta hate on it. Although I have to say I'm a little unclear on the options presented, particularly the first and second ones.

Does going back to the New Byzantine thing just mean more of the same? What could we expect to be different? Similarly, option two sounds like a Hellenic restoration, but what would that entail?

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

Not So Fast posted:

(that said, I hope we don't get bogged down in defining a constitution if we do go down this road, that was one of the worst aspects of that thread).

Echoing this hardcore. Maybe a single session where we broad strokes it down the line, but let's not get caught up too heavily in that minutia.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

Hey now, it's just a Ming idea, not an aesthetic. We'll make it all Roman-y, promise.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

Big difference by now between the Successor states and the actual Ming themselves; it hasn't been the guys with a fancy constitution that have been butchering us.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Weaboos ruining my glorious Hellenic restoration!

Can't stop, won't stop. :colbert:

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

You win this time, (## Support the) Nostalgic Neo-classicist.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

Excellent turn-around. Although I'm torn between thinking we should continue cleaning up Italy and going east to keep showing those assholes what for. Then again, we'll need better opportunities for that, I'm sure.

Glad to see the Commonwealth is doing so well. :3:

At least, eh, y'know, until it crashes and burns for whatever reason. But all in the name of progress!

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

Goddamn, France is just disgustingly powerful. Send the Black Chamber to Germany next, maybe?

Seeing Somalia in the top three is pretty gratifying, though, despite them being our enemies.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

Rincewind posted:

He led her back to his Neuruppin estate to finalize the details of their plan. Personally.

:pervert:

Magnificent. Although there are some diamonds in that rough to be found, they're few and far between.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

Rincewind posted:

The Republicans failed to reach to Görz.

I don't feel like writing any more about this.

:(

Two updates, though, quite a treat. Also, can't say I'm too cut up about the Radziwills being on the way out, though they've had their good moments. Very curious to see who'll be in charge next.

Dunno if I'd have taken Espionage, but I guess when you've got the Black Chamber... regardless, it should at least help destabilize our enemies a bit. Maybe.

Edit: Anyone else happy to see the Seljuks getting a new province? :3:

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

The more things change...

But hey, at least they're not putting us in a personal union or anything. Long as this lady doesn't get any funky ideas about loving over the Commonwealth, we should all get along famously when it comes to liberating the rest of Anatolia. Also, any reason why we haven't taken a bite out of Ferrara yet?

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

Can we all just be part of the Black Chamber now? It sounds way more awesome than being part of some pussy-rear end senate.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

Are we allowed to throw our support behind courtiers made by other people, and would that even matter in deciding who gets in? I know it's not a vote, but I'm curious if that would help influence things at all.

Edit: Can we get a culture and religious map, by the way? Just of the Commonwealth itself.

Erwin the German fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 1, 2014

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

Name: Fiametta Sforza

Religon: Catholic

Biography: The wife of the current archon of Rome, Fiametta is known as a highly capable diplomat and joint-policy maker in the Roma polis. She has been sent to the Imperial Court in Constantinople in an effort to help better represent the Roman Commonwealth's namesake and stem the city's rapidly dwindling prestige.

Public Agenda: On behalf of her husband, Fiametta's agenda is,

- To reinforce the importance of Rome in the Roman state, no matter what form it might take.

- To elevate Italy from its currently neglected status as 'that place all the French get distracted in when it's war time,' into its proper place as a critical part of the Roman state.

- To safeguard the Italian people, the Roman state must continue to expand in Italy for purposes of unity, prestige, and security, and to properly defend the Roman state's Italian possessions in the event of war.

- To reassure that the ideals of the Commonwealth are alive and well in Italy, and that the polis system is but a step in the right direction towards further progress in the face of Western absolutism.

Private Agenda: The Sforzas dream of a unified Italy under the Roman banner, and one that might one day have enough power and influence to be a semi-autonomous region of the Commonwealth in its own right. Perhaps not spoken of as flippantly is the dream that comes as a natural follow-up; the creation of an independent Italian state. The Sforzas seem to realize that this might be a far-off eventuality, but are eager to lay the groundwork.

Erwin the German fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 2, 2014

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

Chwoka posted:

not wearing a wig.

Jesus. Witness now the destruction of our society.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

Seeing people coming up with nifty fictional characters with fictional agendas was a pretty nice change of pace from the barrage of political parties.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

There will be plenty of time for political parties again when we reach V2.

Don't remind me. :(

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

Raserys posted:

Religion: Atheist

This sealed it for me. Well done.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

Bah, Italian nationalism will just have to wait. Next time, Gadget Rome.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

Heeey, we expanded into Italy anyway! Mission accomplished, kinda?

V2's coming up pretty soon, looks like.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

BwenGun posted:

Look's that way. I really, really, hope the Ming-Da Quin alliance ends soon so Rome can retake the rest of Anatolia and the Levant before V2 starts.

This is my only real concern. Think of the prettier borders! Then again, the ~totally operator~ genius of an emperor we have now will undoubtedly have a contingency for this. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

Anyone else happy that we're Byzantines again? Not enough crying eagles for this.

Although that war with the Ming is a little worrying. But gently caress that, we're a republic now!

• Locked thread