Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

I find the line "everyone's always obsessed with Byzantium in all of these things so somebody might as well just play as 'em" to be a pretty interesting overhead. A pretty good start to the LP, too. Definitely looking forward to seeing where this goes.

I'm also looking forward to Byzantophile shenanigans as much as I'm looking forward to anti-Byzantophile shenanigans in this thread. Which is to say, a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I've never seen the specific Byzantine reconquest event chain that Project Balance adds (which is where the "war for the coast" came from), so this is pretty neat to see.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Flesnolk posted:

From the first page, but hopefully relevant due to modtalk - what (non-GOT) mod lets you get these duels? The only one I ever found (updated duel engine) literally does not work at all.

The duel engine is implemented within Project Balance.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I like B the most.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I believe voting is already closed. Observe, exhibit A:

Rincewind posted:

Have a D-lightful flag, Senators.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Flesnolk posted:

What's that "Is War Possible" decision?

That's something from Project Balance. Basically, there's a lot more factors needed for certain special wars now, so when you take that decision, some more decisions pop up with the names of those wars. If you can take those decisions (they don't do anything and just stay there), you can declare that kind of war.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

ZearothK posted:

If it came to that he could just have gone into the save and removed her death date.

It really is magical how much poo poo you can do with Paradox games just because the save files are plaintext.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

:allears: Steppe Wolfe jokes are the best jokes.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

GenHavoc posted:

Maybe it's just me then, but what's so terrible about having one of the biggest powers in EU4? Wouldn't that be a bit more interesting than watching the AI run the superpowers of the world while we sit around as the equivalent of El Salvador?

Grey's thread was the catalyst for the question, but it seems like every one of these winds up with demands for self-castration. Azerbaijan, Sicily, that Hanseatic LP, all of them were packed with suggestions of how best to trigger a massive civil war, or recommendations that the king spontaneously give away 60% of his territory to his mortal enemy. I understand that playing a mid-tier power in the end-game can be quite interesting, but certainly leading an world-spanning alliance block against another one in the war to end all wars after a thousand years of struggle has its attraction too...

Basically, the core problem that leads to the problems Kanthulu and Jazerus pointed out is that the AI is far inferior to the player, so if the player comes in even close to a dominant position, it's going to be really hard for the AI to keep up. Basically, if you want "a world-spanning alliance block against another one", that means a few things.

1) You're going to have to fudge a lot of things in the HOI stage conversion to make sure the AI gets that alliance block to combat the player.
2) The Vicky stage will be a total snoozefest, because there's no real way to expand properly in that game, meaning that if you want to come out of it in a real good position, you've got to go into it in a real good position.
3) The later part of the EU stage will also end up being pretty boring, because after you've established yourself as the power you want to be in Vicky, you've either got to spend ages consolidating (if you're lucky, at least there's rebels there) or just snoozing the time away because nobody can touch you.

So that's roughly a third of the entire campaign that would just end up being a total bore, almost guaranteed. Not good numbers.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

A. No need to get ourselves murdered over one border province when be could be getting ourselves murdered over connecting our holdings that got torn apart through the Bulgarian Uprising.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I call the war 'unwinnable' for a reason; in CK2, combat victories count for vastly more warscore than holding provinces - unless those provinces are part of the war goals. None of the enemy's provinces are part of our wargoals, so that option is out.

Bonus points: In Project Balance, which we're seeing here, combat is even more important in warscore calculation. If both sides get a big stack and smash into each other, the winner will probably get 100% warscore instantly.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Pyroi posted:

Senators! Greeks! Countrymen! Lend me your ears, if just for a moment. Before we even think about attacking the Saimids, we must first take care of the Bulgarian Rebellion that has the GALL to call itself an empire. We need our troops back for that first, then we can concern ourselves with expanding eastwards.

Pretty sure that's the plan. Not to steal your thunder, but I'm fairly sure that more than half a dozen senators have made that point before you.

Also, it'd be pretty interesting if we eventually ended up some sort of Republic in EU and then a liberal democracy in Vicky because of our "liberal" tendencies (since the New Byzantines are the most republican of the parties). Everybody's done the Byzantine Empire, but the Byzantine Federal Republic would be something pretty spiffy.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

YF-23 posted:

There is little point in continuing to make noise because of one wayward child on a tantrum. But seeing as we all agree that we truly follow the orthodox church, we must also agree it must be strengthened! Much of our weakness that led the infidel Turks to invade was due to petty squabbles of the nobility. And once we restore these provinces to the empire we will have more, stronger Douxes. But that can be avoided if we put our future eastern conquests under church administration. Metropoles and Patriarchates will not be the breeding grounds of disputes over inheritances and claims. It must be done, gentlemen; a pious empire will be a strong empire.

But CK2 doesn't allow that.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

YF-23 posted:

You are limited in how many of your landed vassals can be church vassals, but you can still have them. And if we ever want to go over that limit rincewind can just mod the defines file to permit it.

Well, in vanilla we're pretty much limited to like one or two duchy-level theocracies at best, and putting our future conquests under their administration would probably not work out.

Of course, you can mod anything, but it makes for kind of boring gameplay, since theocracies are just boring feudals that don't give a poo poo.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Spectacular. So we've barely established our parties, and already we've had a break based on religion. Clearly, these groups know what's important. Turks ready to pounce, Bulgarians spitting in our face simply by existing, but no, clearly we've got to care about some idiot in a fancy hat sitting over in Italy and his relation to us! For the love of whatever you people find holy (honestly, it's sort of hard to tell at this point), we've got more pressing matters than spending afternoons wistfully thinking about our so-called "heritage" and arguing about our stance towards whoever happened to set up shop over there on that oversized boot that calls itself a peninsula.

The realm is a god drat wreck, we're completely reliant on Jews to finance our wars, and our administration in general is just a disgrace!

As much as you people despise the Papist faction, at least they seem to have their head on straight in that we need to find friends, not more people we want to butt heads with! We've already got more than enough of that at home!

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 21, 2014

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Oh gently caress, here we go. Good thing I've gotten in on the ground floor on Crete 2.0.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

NewMars posted:

I'm pretty sure that limit is moddable, and we are playing with a mod. Can someone more experienced with the HIP then I tell me if this is still true in Project Balance?

It's editable in every mod, because it's changed in the base defines. The only problem is that making a lot of republics and theocracies makes the game a lot easier (which is the reason the limits were introduced in the first place).

EDIT: And if you're talking about the limit still being intact in PB, then yes, it's still intact.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Considering the amount of opportunities we had to completely screw the realm up with all those regencies and considering we didn't gently caress it up at all, I think supporting us New Byzantines would probably be the best course of action. Let's face it, not much is going to change anyway. What do you think is going to happen? Some sort of scourge just appearing out of nowhere and running roughshod over Europe?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

As other senators are going all over the place with their proposals, I shall bring forward a three-point plan I would apply for the future of the empire:

1) Continue with the improvement of infrastructure and economy before everything else. As much as I hate to completely brush off the proposals of a faction (as every faction has a case to present that could very well be the correct move to make), the Marians' plan to expand expenses on the army is not yet feasible in the way they want to implement it (grand Roman legions). Our administration is not yet on a true Imperial level (the still somewhat decayed theme system springs to mind), and such should be improved before improving the army that would then end up in the hands of rebellious douxes. Once we have improved our infrastructure, however, we can then move on to the army.

2) Retake Anatolia. Anatolian lands are a core of the Empire, and should definitely be retaken before we move our eyes westwards. And of course, the infrastructure of those reconquered regions must be brought up to speed as well.

3) Continue espionage actions against whoever the gently caress is ruling over there in Persia. We need to create an opportunity to strike and fulfill 2), and our espionage cadre has been a vital part of that.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

EDIT: Hush my mouth, I suppose, the game disagrees, Venice is de jure Byzantine even in 1187 for some reason.

EDIT 2: But HIP, the mod we're using, doesn't have Venice as de jure Byzantine even in 1066, so HA!

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 22, 2014

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I would like to officially change my vote from a vote for the New Byzantines to a vote explicitly against the Guiding Light. In my opinion, while the Empire could possibly run under Catholic leadership, running it under Islam simply will not do. Especially as that would make us the very first target of the Catholic's fury!

I'd rather the Iconoclasts run this place!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Sampatrick posted:

This man yells and screams about how we would some how ruin the Empire, and yet we see in his own tirades what a coward he is! He says that we should not submit to glorious Allah not because of any true issue, but because of the threat of the Franks invading us! This is what is truly wrong with the Empire, men like this man who are too scared of change and too much of a coward to embrace what is necessary in order to truly revitalize our Empire. Truly, it is necessary for us Romans to submit ourselves to Allah, and excise these cowards from our midst.

Pah! As if you religious types knew anything about leading proper warfare! The only reason the crusades have it so hard to succeed is the distance from Christian land to their targets and the logistical problems associated with that. As such, the moment we declare us Islamists and the Pope calls a crusade for Greece, the combined force of Franks, Germans, Hungarians, Poles and Italians will come pouring through Hungary directly into our lands, still fresh and ready to fight! And are you so deluded as to believe the Turk will help his new "brother in faith"? He'd let us be thrown to the wolves and then feast upon the carcass!

A conversion to Islam would be the death of the Empire, I can guarantee that!

And yeah, as a quick OOC note, that seriously is what I believe is going to happen. The Pope loving loves calling crusades for Greece, so we'd be a guaranteed first target, and an easy land route means we're going to get smashed to bits by the entire Catholic force.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

HenessyHero posted:

*checks thread, finds utterly balkanized senate*

Looks like the politics 'round here are getting a little.... byzantine.

I swear, one more faction starting up and I'm going to make my own faction after this round of voting.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Gnooble posted:

Roman East Directive

In keeping with this the Empress is directed to reclaim Antioch, as one of the greatest and wealthiest cities of Roman antiquity and the seat of one of our holy Pentarchs. The reclaimed land should be placed under the administration of an Imperial Governor.

Seconded. Therefore, the Roman East Directive passes.

EDIT: Well poo poo, it already passed before me. Well, gently caress it, I'm still seconding it!

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 24, 2014

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

AdventFalls posted:

The Jerusalem Pilgrimage

Should the Empress find herself in a position to expand after having retaken central Anatolia, she should attempt to conquer the Mediterranean coastline to Jerusalem.

Seconding this.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Ofaloaf posted:

Did not Jesus say unto Simon Peter "Et ego dico tibi quia tu es Petrus et super hanc petram aedificabo ecclesiam meam et portae inferi non praevalebunt adversum eam", or, for those Romans who know not Latin, "καγω δε σοι λεγω οτι συ ει πετρος και επι ταυτη τη πετρα οικοδομησω μου την εκκλησιαν και πυλαι αδου ου κατισχυσουσιν αυτης"?

The Lord does not follow that with "but you, Andrew, shall be Patriarch of Nova Roma, and you totally get precedence over your brother."

Wow, I think I can read that Latin. Looks like the three years I've spent doing pretty much nothing Latin-related after finishing up school have not yet taken all of that stuff away.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

...you know, I'm starting to warm up to the idea of the Byzantines being basically just the Romans. We're certainly seeming to get into the swing of things as far as the decadence goes if we're having "let's all get shitfaced in the senate" parties. I'll fight the idea all the way, but I'm starting to warm up to the idea that I might be wrong.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Blackunknown posted:

[OOC here is a picture of a Byzantine Senate for your reference.)

Well, if you consider Cicero to be a Byzantine...

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Blackunknown posted:

Sorry if its not actually a Byzantine senate, it just appeared in a Google image search for "Byzantine Senate". Also said search contains images from this LP so.... hurah?

I don't think there's any real pictures of a Byzantine senate - seems best we got is a mural or two. The picture you posted was a pretty famous fresco called Cicero Denounces Catilina from the 19th century - I remember seeing it in one of my old Latin school books.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Blackunknown posted:

Steppes and Republics

....Wow the senate is pretty empty, and here I thought that the senators here argued for most of the day before they left and the night senators argued in their place while the day senators were gone.

The senate is still full of senators. However, if those senators are in fact conscious is a different story, and the stench of alcohol and somebody's lunch is keeping the conscious senators out. The slaves had no opportunity to clean up as apparently orders came from the Kommenians to "not interrupt our important emergency senate meeting, regardless of the situation".

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Blackunknown posted:

Steppes and Republics

...... We're in an emergency senate meeting? For what? I thought this was the senate's usual daily meeting.

No, the emergency meeting was in the night. Apparently it involved some sort of scandal regarding the wineries of the empire, as I saw a bundle of different wine barrels brought in and some senators talking about a "sampling". The meeting took the entire night and left the senators quite fatigued, if not downright knocked out, and left the senate hall quite a mess. I can't stomach alcohol of any kind, so I took an early leave, but found it hard to sleep, as the hard working senators had turned into quite the raucous bunch, singing loud songs for ages until it eventually faded out.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Rejected Fate posted:

Also while I am no fan of the Turk, I must say I think I might like these Mongols less. Ever since they came on the scene, imports from the east have risen in price.

Eh, give the Mongols some credit. Not their fault their preferred style of warfare crushes the infrastructure of the affected areas. Give them a decade, they'll have rebuilt and will be invaluable trade partners, I'm sure of it.

Also, I'd like to officially propose an initiative to convert the leader of the Ilkhanate, if possible. Send our most persuasive religious leader to his current place of residence and let him work his magic. While we New Byzantines are religiously tolerant, we recognize that that is not the case for others, so the occasional persuasion could bring us a great gain and a great ally.

Ofaloaf posted:

I don't see what's so bad about the HRE. Sure, Lorraine looks a little wonky, buwhat the hell NORWAY? :stare:

Blame Project Balance. It's one of the more odd things about it that about 50~75% of the time, Norway ends up under the duke of Saxony. I don't get it at all.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I would instead suggest to build several new houses of worship of different faiths around the Hagia Sophia, to signify that all faiths are accepted, but Orthodoxy will still stand at the center of it all.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Flesnolk posted:

Not a bad strategy, but how in the Lord's name are we supposed to do that, huh? The Mongols seem to just be destroying everything in sight with no heed for diplomacy or belief.

OOC: In case you were unaware, we can just stick our Court Chaplain (or whatever the Byzantine equivalent is) into the current residence of the Khan and if we get lucky, he'll convert. If you were aware and were more asking from a character standpoint, carry on.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

UrbicaMortis posted:

Although you might go through a few court chaplains in the process. I once had 7 of my bishops rotting in various pagan cells around the world and only managed one conversion.

Sure, but they're chaplains - they're literally 60 piety a dozen (with at least 8 out of the dozen not fit for the job, but eh). Compared to the boon of converting the Khan, that's a miniscule price to pay.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

##Vote New Byzantines

##Vote Phanariotes

I would also like to re-iterate the importance of attempting to convert the Khans of the East, the one of the Ilkhanate in particular. Because if we don't, I see horse archers charging Constantinople fairly soon.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Talky posted:

My father would have suggested we sidestep the whole issue by calling ourselves Rum, but even he could see that proposal would have been dead on arrival.

I was going to make a joke about drunken Senators here, but I just can't word it right. Not to mention the whole anachronism thing.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Blackunknown posted:

Steppes and Republics

I'm.... not sure how to respond to this.

Not acknowledging it would be a start. Maybe if we just move on, it will end up being a fringe party that will just sit there on its own, occasionally producing an entertaining speech, but having no real power as far as legislation and planning goes.

I'd much rather those Centrists gain some more traction. That senator seems like a rather nice fellow.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Blackunknown posted:

Steppes and Republics

Were... you... making a jab at my party? I mean we are not the biggest party but we bring prime issues to the table. But yes that Centrist fellow seems like a well enough sort. A little rough around the edges but he shows promise.

...maybe? It wasn't intended as such, at least. Was more guided along the lines of the "one-issue-parties", with issues such as "convert to Islam", "shagging" and "more alcohol" (which really seems to be a blanket issue for all the parties anyway). Shots at the Guiding Light with that statement were very much intended, shots at the Kommnenians and Loyalists not so much.

AMENDMENT: ^^^ Oh, right, couldn't forget about the one-issue-party of "man, gently caress everything that isn't Greek and Orthodox".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

theblastizard posted:

I didn't know we let drunks who weren't nobles into the Senate house.

What, do you seriously believe we're able to check these drunks for some sort of identification? They puke all over your shoes if you just look at them the wrong way, and any given "noble" could just as well be a drunk that won the clothes off a senator at a local tavern. We've just let everybody that wants to come in come in, hell, even let them hold speeches, because who the gently caress is going to be able to tell whether that guy talking crazy is a senator or not? Plus, it's amusing, and their reactions when Senator Scruffles decides their speech has gone on too long are also a riot.

• Locked thread