Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

What's the status of the Chrono Cross stream? I've been trying to watch it but it's not working for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
https://www.twitch.tv/kuoushi

Streaming more Odin Sphere. Today we see the results of Odin selling his daughter to some edgy fucker.

Done for today, late on the archive edit due to La-Mulana 2 news.

Archive link: http://www.twitch.tv/kuoushi/c/3584780

YT Running archive:
Day 1 (Gwen Act 1)
Day 2 (Gwen Act 2)
Day 3 (Gwen Act 3)

Highwang fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 21, 2014

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I find I can't watch Twitch streams at all, except the special featured front-page LoL and DotA streams that get all their bandwidth. Therefore I'd like to move that Twitch be reclassified as 'loving awful'.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Nihilarian posted:

What's the status of the Chrono Cross stream? I've been trying to watch it but it's not working for me.

It's still going and I haven't had any issues with it.

Twitch runs almost-perfect for me and Hitbox is a pixellated mess that drops chat every five minutes, while other people report the opposite. Anyone know where Hitbox servers are located? I'm curious if it's US-centrism.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'm UK and Hitbox is fine for me. Blurs a bit from time to time but more than watchable. Twitch could be partly a symptom of university halls of residence internet.

Vifs
Jan 13, 2010

Plllllllaydies :heysexy:
IRC poo poo for twitch

The Good
-Fixes almost every issue with chat (ie. not loading or not displaying messages)
-Because its IRC you get useful features like timestamps and join/leave notifications
-If you are a real nerd you already have a IRC client installed and running almost 24/7
-You can use commands like .ban Name, or .timeout Name Time
-Big IRC clients like MIRC have quite a few plugins for it
-Customizable background and text colors, font, and pretty much everything else, because of this, it is way nicer for chat overlays too
-You can join multiple channels at once if needed

The Bad
-You have to set up an Oauth token, a big nasty string that you wont remember
-As far as I know of, there is no way to have the same username colors in IRC as on twitch
-No emotes(might be a pro for some)
-Harder to setup and use then in browser chat

Recommend Clients if you have no idea what you are doing
-MIRC (super common/popular on windows, but wants you to buy it at start up every time)
-HexChat (open source and will run on anything)
-XChat (A bit old and has basically been remade into Hex Chat)

They have made things quite easy to set up now. Twitch has set up a pretty good guide. Basicly you just point the server at irc.twitch.tv:6667 and log in with your username and oauth key, and join any channel like any IRC channel. Feel free to ask any questions if you can't get it set up, random issue pop up from time to time.

One more thing:
I have been coding a IRC client for twitch on and off for the last few months. It still doesn't have a lot of features fleshed out, but it does fix some issues I have with IRC: Username colors and emotes. I have a github repository set up here, but click here for just the installer. Please note this will only work on windows unless you set it up to compile with mono or something.

HotCheetoChallenge
Jun 17, 2012

iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou

Bruceski posted:

Hitbox is a pixellated mess that drops chat every five minutes, while other people report the opposite. Anyone know where Hitbox servers are located? I'm curious if it's US-centrism.

Hitbox is based in Europe.

edit: Adding some stuff about instagib. Not sure if it will be helpful or worth putting in the OP, but I noticed you don't have any info on it.

Instagib is a US-based streaming site owned by Mark Vaughn, one of the guys who built the original justin.tv. He got fired or something, and started the social streaming site vaughnlive.tv, and instagib.tv is the gaming-only offshoot of that. It's in alpha, I guess.

Instagib allows you to use FMLE to stream, if anyone still cares about that old thing. Also instagib allows you to stream at a variable bitrate. Guest chat is supported, though you can disable it if you want.

Instagib allows the broadcaster to direct-download their entire stream as FLV. However, instagib does not currently support highlights or archives. Only the broadcaster has access to their archives, and only for 24 hours.

The biggest downside, I guess, is that absolutely no one uses instagib. The top stream there will have like, 20 viewers. NOBODY uses this thing. I haven't streamed on it but I've watched streams and most of the time it's very smooth and there's virtually no delay between the streamer and the chat. There have been a few times where the servers were making GBS threads up, or something, and it was stuttery and unwatchable and people in the chat complained that it took forever to load the chat - typical twitch-style issues. But that has only happened once or twice. Overall I've really enjoyed the experience and I wish more people streamed there.

I'm one of those people for whom hitbox works like poo poo. I hope instagib catches on a bit.

HotCheetoChallenge fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jan 21, 2014

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
http://www.hitbox.tv/jttoddy Streaming some kind of drum.
(Taiko no Tatsujin Portable DX, maybe Gitaroo Man later or somethin')

PSP pooped the bed mid-stream so I'm playing Ys Origin instead.

Stream's over for the night. Now that my mic is properly set up I can hopefully stream more.

toddy. fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jan 21, 2014

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I'm gonna be gearing up for streaming this week. I have some questions about single monitor set ups. Like, if I'm just recording a specific window, what happens if I alt-tab to check the twitch chat? Would it keep piping the hypothetical content of that window to the stream, or would it cut out temporarily?
It seems like setting up an IRC client for twitch might be the way to go, since its pop out window is super finnicky, too, so thanks for that post above , Vifs.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm gonna be gearing up for streaming this week. I have some questions about single monitor set ups. Like, if I'm just recording a specific window, what happens if I alt-tab to check the twitch chat? Would it keep piping the hypothetical content of that window to the stream, or would it cut out temporarily?

I have a tendency to do that occasionally while streaming but I only think it pauses the streaming and just shows a frozen screen until you bring the focus back, or does so at least on my OBS preview screen. So if you pick your timing correctly people shouldn't notice that too much.

Odd question from me but is there generally any interest in streaming stealth games?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Cooked Auto posted:

I have a tendency to do that occasionally while streaming but I only think it pauses the streaming and just shows a frozen screen until you bring the focus back, or does so at least on my OBS preview screen. So if you pick your timing correctly people shouldn't notice that too much.

Odd question from me but is there generally any interest in streaming stealth games?

I would say "probably"? I know I get really worked up when I watch other people play stealth games because they make me really tense, and I go loving insane when something goes wrong that I saw coming. Be prepared for belligerent weirdos in your chat, maybe.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Hitbox's missing keyframe problem is slowly but surely getting better all the time. When people were first switching to hitbox, everything was a pixelly mess. Now I'm at the point where I barely ever get encoding errors while watching.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

deadly_pudding posted:

It seems like setting up an IRC client for twitch might be the way to go, since its pop out window is super finnicky, too, so thanks for that post above , Vifs.

Depends on your setup. If you use a direct hook to the game on OBS or Xsplit, it shouldn't capture anything else on the monitor since its linking directly into the DX9/11 engine for footage. If you use Window/Monitor capture, then yeah you end up with WYSIWIG.

As for setting up a good setup, I'd say stream at a resolution lower than what you'd usually want to, then drop your chat window underneath. With single-monitor setups, economy of space is important and you really don't need to be playing at barely-below fullscreen. This will also help offload stress on your computer.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Mico posted:

Hitbox's missing keyframe problem is slowly but surely getting better all the time. When people were first switching to hitbox, everything was a pixelly mess. Now I'm at the point where I barely ever get encoding errors while watching.

Hitbox cares and works on improving their things. Twitch acknowledges them and says "gently caress you guys, we're right".

Remove Horror

DWK
Sep 18, 2009

lady blue shanghai posted:

The biggest downside, I guess, is that absolutely no one uses instagib. The top stream there will have like, 20 viewers. NOBODY uses this thing. I haven't streamed on it but I've watched streams and most of the time it's very smooth and there's virtually no delay between the streamer and the chat. There have been a few times where the servers were making GBS threads up, or something, and it was stuttery and unwatchable and people in the chat complained that it took forever to load the chat - typical twitch-style issues. But that has only happened once or twice. Overall I've really enjoyed the experience and I wish more people streamed there.

I'm one of those people for whom hitbox works like poo poo. I hope instagib catches on a bit.

SGF used it on Saturday and it seemed to go well, so I think he said he was planning on sticking with it for the time being. The archive thing is a bit annoying so I hope they work on that. Being in the UK, I tend to fall asleep and miss the end of streams from the US and the good thing about Twitch was that I could catch up.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Highwang posted:

Depends on your setup. If you use a direct hook to the game on OBS or Xsplit, it shouldn't capture anything else on the monitor since its linking directly into the DX9/11 engine for footage. If you use Window/Monitor capture, then yeah you end up with WYSIWIG.

As for setting up a good setup, I'd say stream at a resolution lower than what you'd usually want to, then drop your chat window underneath. With single-monitor setups, economy of space is important and you really don't need to be playing at barely-below fullscreen. This will also help offload stress on your computer.

Yeah, I'm planning to do the OBS direct hook. So you think I'd be better off just running in windowed mode at a resolution that lets me stick mIRC in a margin somewhere? Is there any downside to just alt-tabbing? If it just freezes the stream for 30 seconds while I glance at the chat, I'm not too worried about it. My monitor's not all that big, so I don't want to make my window smaller than it has to be :shobon:

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

deadly_pudding posted:

Yeah, I'm planning to do the OBS direct hook. So you think I'd be better off just running in windowed mode at a resolution that lets me stick mIRC in a margin somewhere? Is there any downside to just alt-tabbing? If it just freezes the stream for 30 seconds while I glance at the chat, I'm not too worried about it. My monitor's not all that big, so I don't want to make my window smaller than it has to be :shobon:

I play all games windowed anyway because they run better.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I'll experiment with it this week. It looks like I can probably run in a 1600x900 window without losing too much, so I'll try that with an IRC window popped to the right. Thanks for helping me out.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

deadly_pudding posted:

Pretty much. Back before I got a 2nd monitor, I streamed everything while playing it at 720p just so I could economize space. I still do that to this day too since it frees up a lot of resources.

deadly_pudding posted:

I'll experiment with it this week. It looks like I can probably run in a 1600x900 window without losing too much, so I'll try that with an IRC window popped to the right. Thanks for helping me out.

That can work if you have a 1080p monitor, but you aren't going to be seeing much chat. If you're alright with that, then go for it.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Highwang posted:

That can work if you have a 1080p monitor, but you aren't going to be seeing much chat. If you're alright with that, then go for it.

Yeah, it's 1080p. I can finagle it with mIRC to get a decent enough chat window in that 320-pixel margin. It's not like I mostly care about the user list and most of the UI while I'm otherwise occupied crashing my virtual truck or whatever.

:allears: this is incredible.

Vifs
Jan 13, 2010

Plllllllaydies :heysexy:
Just stream path of exile, which has a built in twitch chat feature.

wzzard
Nov 11, 2012

Boy, you sure say "damn" a lot.

Hell yeah.
Hey friends, it's WZZARD TIME! I'm playing First Person Dungeon Games this week, and today's game is Ultima Underworld II.

LIVE NOW!

Edit: Switched to Eldritch!

Edit: Done for now. I'll be back at 7PM CST for some roleplaying.

Tomorrow is Phantasy Star @ 2PM CST.

Thursday is So Indie It Hurts Thursday with Dungeon Prospector and Deepfall Dungeon.

Edit: Also vote on next week's theme! http://strawpoll.me/1050836/

wzzard fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 22, 2014

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

TODAY ON WAA HOUSE: WALUIGI'S SPECTRAL BABY-MAMA SHALL GIVE BIRTH.

I, uh...I didn't have a relevant image. :ohdear:

http://www.twitch.tv/lizardwizardmagemage

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Wario shouting at people is always relavent, LizWiz.

Tiny Turtle
May 2, 2008

Hi, buddies!
Hey buddies! Me and my best bud Jade Star are playing some Borderlands 2, doing Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon's Keep. We're just about to finish it, then we're diving head first into True Vault Hunter mode.

You can find both streams here!

A four man raid as it turns out.

Tiny Turtle fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 22, 2014

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

https://www.instagib.tv/cobratwashington

After reading the recommendations for Instagib in this thread I thought I'd test it out. Streaming some Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening using glitches for flavor.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

http://www.hitbox.tv/Venomous

Going to stream some Metal Gear Solid blind. Second time I've tried Hitbox, so this'll be interesting.

wzzard
Nov 11, 2012

Hell yeah.
I am DMing some old skool dungeon stuff for my friends on http://twitch.tv/gdscwzzard.

Edit: DONE!

wzzard fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 22, 2014

AndyAML
Jul 24, 2006

HEY BASS WHY MUST I FIGHT YOU WE ARE NOT ENEMIES
Going to be streaming some La-Mulana in a little bit, and it's only $1.50 on Steam if you want to try it for yourself!

http://www.twitch.tv/andyaml

Four bosses down and sequence has been thoroughly broken.

AndyAML fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 22, 2014

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Lizard Wizard posted:

Love is in the air at Waa House. Soon Waluigi's baby will mature into a toddler and we shall see if it is terrifying.

MRMurdoc
Aug 6, 2006
I was once a young German gal.
Going to be starting up some Euro Truck Simulator 2 at https://www.lemonredvolution.com

salttotart
Mar 29, 2010

What's my favorite thing?
Streaming some more SimCity: Cities of Tomorrow. I'm going to start a new city since i can't remember anything about the one I streamed with last time.

The game will be private with invites only if you wish to join the region. I plan on having at least two cities, so the sites will be limited. Get in quick if you want much of anything.

http://www.twitch.tv/salttotart

Server: North America East 2

Cities established and still running.

salttotart fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 22, 2014

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
https://www.twitch.tv/kuoushi

More Odin Sphere. Lava Realm with hot women ahoy.

Done for today, finished the stream by killing a tiny baby dragon. Woo.

Archive link: http://www.twitch.tv/kuoushi/c/3590003

Running YT archive: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZPvpWdtao7Bu9RlBQuOR-Fvc9wtGnyAO&feature=mh_lolz

Highwang fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 22, 2014

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
http://www.hitbox.tv/jttoddy

More messing around in Ys Origin.

I am far too tired to solve Lex Luther's mirror maze, maybe some other time.

toddy. fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jan 22, 2014

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
http://www.twitch.tv/agoat944

I'm going to be playing Mass Effect, planning to do the entire trilogy.

Edit: Nvm change of plans!

Agoat fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 22, 2014

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Going to play the Metal Gear mod for Civilization 5, planning on going through a whole game in one go, small map, Quick turns. Some relaxing music in the background!

http://www.hitbox.tv/Klapman

Made it about halfway through, was a good time! I'll probably continue the game tomorrow or the day after.

klapman fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 22, 2014

wzzard
Nov 11, 2012

Hell yeah.
Today's game is Phantasy Star!

LIVE NOW!

Also vote on next week's theme! http://strawpoll.me/1050836/

Edit: Done for now! My next stream is tomorrow @ 2PM CST. It will be So Indie It Hurts Thursday with Dungeon Prospector and Deepfall Dungeon.

wzzard fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 23, 2014

Tiny Turtle
May 2, 2008

Hi, buddies!
Paul Power, Symmie and I are playing Minecraft Horizons. We're mucking about, working on magic, farming and now hopefully a railroad network.

Hosting a server, playing Minecraft and streaming isn't a good mix. Do butts with that.

Tiny Turtle fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 22, 2014

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

http://armbarerrorsociety.eu/stream

A friend of mine is going to attempt to stream for 24 hours. I'll occasionally be popping in and out of the Skype call. First game on the list is Awesomenauts. Here's the tentative schedule:

Hours [GMT / EST] | Game
12AM / 7PM - 2AM / 9PM | Awesomenauts, Divekick
2AM / 9PM - 5AM / 12AM | Spelunky
5AM / 12AM - 7AM / 2AM | Castle Crashers [Co-op]
7AM / 2AM - 9AM / 4AM | Scribblenauts Block - Unmasked & Unlimited
9AM / 4AM - 11AM / 6AM | The Sims Medieval
11AM / 6AM - 1PM / 8AM | Viewer's Choice
1PM / 8AM - 3PM / 10AM | Viewer's Choice
3PM / 10AM - 5PM / 12PM | Viewer's Choice
5PM / 12PM - 7PM / 2PM | Hotline Miami
7PM / 2PM - 9PM / 4PM | DMC: Devil May Cry
9PM / 4PM - 12AM / 7PM| Dark Souls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyAML
Jul 24, 2006

HEY BASS WHY MUST I FIGHT YOU WE ARE NOT ENEMIES
Time for some more La-Mulana. Let's see how far we can get this time!

http://www.twitch.tv/andyaml

Done!

AndyAML fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 23, 2014

• Locked thread