Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I feel like we're kind of stalling- this might be a good time for a scene change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Sorry about the delays. I've been busy with university stuff the whole week.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
So just how much of the other characters' backstory can we assume we all know? More specifically, would Malediction even have heard/remember the name First of the Fallen?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

GoatLord posted:

So just how much of the other characters' backstory can we assume we all know? More specifically, would Malediction even have heard/remember the name First of the Fallen?

Up to you and Kellsterik. Personally, I would think he wouldn't know the complete story of Bright, but he would have heard rumors about someone going around and making Angels Fall.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I think Mal and Bright being bros is partly based on their similar experiences, it makes sense to me that he'd know that name/phrase is something Bright is very interested in. I'm probably down with whatever you want to say to make the scene more interesting!

Cambrinus
Jan 3, 2007

The Duke of Beer
I fear I'll have to bow out. Even though I enjoy the game tremendously, I don't predict having enough time to contribute in the near future. Thanks for running things, SunAndSpring and thanks to the rest of you for playing such compelling characters --I'll definitely keep reading!

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
That's a real shame, I liked the good doctor. He was fun.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Shame to hear that, Cambrinus :( . I'll write out Herr Wolfram in a way that will let you come back if you ever feel like rejoining.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Well, we are losing players. Think we're down to 3, as Kellsterik and Baby Babbeh have gone missing. Maybe I'll recruit two more plucky individuals later today.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I'm still around, sorry. I've been absolutely slammed at work this week and haven't really had the energy to do much of anything. Sorry for dissapearing.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Baby Babbeh posted:

I'm still around, sorry. I've been absolutely slammed at work this week and haven't really had the energy to do much of anything. Sorry for dissapearing.

I know how you feel. Last few weeks at my university before Finals, so I gotta study even harder if I wanna not fail miserably.

So I guess we'll just need the one new recruit then.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Are you all still looking for new players? Demon is pretty new to me but I'd be willing to give it a shot.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Apr 16, 2014

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
You're the first applicant since the call for a new player. Go right ahead!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Cool, I'll have something hammered out later today. Is there no recruitment thread?

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
You're in it. :)

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

heh, indeed. I'm crashing my way through the book presently and some things are a bit vague - is the cover you Fall into wholly fabricated or do you possess someone, for lack of a better term? Like, when you Fall do all of this person's histories and associations, friends etc. suddenly become real where they weren't before?

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Cover is always 'real' your life, your job, your friends, all of it. Whether it's your original cover crafted by the god machine or one constructed after your fall. They lower the cover raiting the faker it becomes as reality glitches out.

If your cover comes from a real person (possession) their life, job, friends, and everything become yours. Where as a constructed cover inserts it's parts into reality. But this is less common as it costs more resorces for the GM to perform.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

Cover is more like a fake life that is set up for you by the God Machine by reprogramming reality. It can be really fake and not well integrated with reality, in which case there are lots of little glitches that give you away, like your car being a model that was never actually produced, your apartment being on a floor that isn't in the building plan, or your college records being from a year before they offered your major. At higher levels of cover it's really well integrated into reality and you basically are that person, complete with a paper trail, family and friends who remember you, a gym membership etc.

When you take cover XP as a result of a Pact, you're taking that aspect of that life and grafting it to your own. In-fiction if you take somebody's job at Walmart, you now work at Walmart and get their sweet employee discount. Mechanically, all that happens is your cover gets stronger. Stealing their soul is a stronger version of this, you basically just become them and they cease to be. Although as I understand it you're not gaining the full mechanical benefit of this until you spend xp on merit dots; if you want to call in a hit using the influence of the mob boss who's soul you just stole, you've still got to emulate those dots and it puts a strain on your cover. Not sure how SunandSpring is interpreting that rule, though.

Also! Post coming later today. Sorry again for my absence, I've had back to back cover stories at the newspaper where I work so I've been pretty swamped by non-Internet related writing.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Okay cool, since there's no OOC thread I'll move this out to the main WoD thread in TG to keep from mucking up this one. But the sense that I'm getting is that this is The Matrix if all the hackers were Agent Smiths, minus Smith's contrived world-destroying power and plus the biomechanical body-horror of Existenz. Is that about correct?

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

Basically, but mix in cold-war era spy fiction of the paranoid variety, such as Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. You're a secret operative working on the other side of the Iron Curtain, deep in enemy territory, fighting a war you can't win against adversaries you dare not face directly whose schemes you can never truly comprehend.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I'm wondering if I should've made a new recruitment thread. Maybe not doing that confused some people who came into the thread looking to join up. Or maybe my game just sucks I dunno :shrug:

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Would have re-applied but I have applications in two other games right now.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

*edit - don't want redundancies, do we*

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Apr 19, 2014

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
You seem to have too many skill points. Should be a 11/7/4 split, and but you've got an 11/9/7 instead. Also, think up some Aspirations and answer the questions in the OP. In any case, it seems like a pretty cool concept and I look forward to seeing more.

Anyway, I think I might create a separate recruitment thread and then keep it open till next Friday just to be fair.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

This is the OOC / Recruiting thread now, yeah? Got confused there for a second. Anyway, thanks for pointing out my skill error. I've updated the character sheet, rejiggering a few of the skills and an embed to accommodate further character depth / loss of points. I added aspirations and skill specialties too, and while figuring out a specialty that would blow the perfumer cover was definitely hard I think as close as I can get would be a specialty in knowing the nature and composition of poisons. That works, right?

Working on the questions right now.

* Gettin' pretty in-depth on this, will have the full questions laid out after some sleep.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Apr 18, 2014

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Yeah, I think a specialty in Poisons would blow just about anyone's cover.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Basic Chunnel posted:

This is the OOC / Recruiting thread now, yeah? Got confused there for a second. Anyway, thanks for pointing out my skill error. I've updated the character sheet, rejiggering a few of the skills and an embed to accommodate further character depth / loss of points. I added aspirations and skill specialties too, and while figuring out a specialty that would blow the perfumer cover was definitely hard I think as close as I can get would be a specialty in knowing the nature and composition of poisons. That works, right?

Working on the questions right now.

* Gettin' pretty in-depth on this, will have the full questions laid out after some sleep.

Well, I doubt a perfumer would know how to make cyanide, so go for it.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Finished!

Ms. Sharp / Graham Robinson

Reyach / Ms. Sharp / Graham Robinson - Messenger Tempter

Before Ms. Sharp, I came into being as Reyach. Most of my life before my life (if you could call either of such things life) I cannot recall. I was one of the legion shepherding mortals into their proper places in order for our progenitor’s programs to execute, that much I can ascertain.

My last task was very specific – Jess Hamilton, florist in a little shop in Washington Township. She was… important. I’ve learned to stop asking why, but I knew how. God needed the things she made for his designs, but she didn’t know how to make them, not yet at least. So I was sent down. Graham Robinson, the prodigal nose, looking for a partner and a muse in flyover country. What fortune that we should meet.

“Nose” is an insider term in our business… my business, I mean. They’re like wine tasters, but useful. We can take a scent and break it into its constituent parts, its palette, how each note or timbre blends to create a new facet of scent. Most of us became strikingly competent perfumers (having perfect memory is some leverage in the marketplace, that much I’ll say). That’s how Graham came to Jess, as a perfumer. Oh, I suppose I was bored with my apprenticeships in New York and Venice, wanting to build something with my own two hands, something to that effect. She was restless and she doubted her skills, so I removed all obstacles, within and without. And she flourished.

I taught her the trade and stepped back. I filled my share of decanters but mine wasn’t the work, it couldn’t possibly be – I took on the logistical side of our business, while she focused purely on the scents. And that’s how we worked her. I would field the materials we needed and she would put them together and they were right in that special way. They weren’t perfect, but they were right. And when she slept soundly beside me I would rise and get to work. I was always the real buyer, naturally. They went everywhere – a spritz of lavender in the ER lobby, a drop of pure sweet almond pressed to a blank letter and sent to a state senator, a grandmother’s chanel given a kick of pig’s blood, a few ounces of pungent sunblock into the Geist Reservoir.

At some point we moved in together. I’m almost certain that she loved me, maybe idolized me, but it was I who was awed at her work. The materials didn’t matter, it didn’t matter that she couldn’t see them. I presented to her the diamond dust, fresh infant tongues, the heartwood of the oldest trees on earth, and she saw only dried herbs, essential oils. And no matter what went in, it came out different, pure, sublime. To this day I cannot be sure what was the God Machine and what was Jess.

One day she asked me, apropos of nothing, what I liked. I had fielded that question from the curious a hundred times over, but this time there was difference. So I told her – petrichor and the smoke from burnt maple leaves. I don’t know why it was that specifically, I don’t even know if it was true, but she said she hadn’t thought me a proponent of such unsubtle masculine scents, and she smiled her knowing smile. I think… I was satisfied, that she was satisfied. I wanted her to know even though I didn’t.

Suffice to say that I failed in small ways leading up to the big failure. Jess saw me, the real me, at some point, or somehow saw through the masks on our materials. I’m sure it was something I missed. I should have been more careful. I woke up one morning and got the call – she’d driven out to Whitewater Memorial, sealed up the car and ran a hose through the window. On our kitchen table I found the decanter, maybe an ounce of it all told, no note. It was the colour of fine bourbon, and when I opened it... a thought passed, almost unnoticed, through my mind. I wish she’d never met me. What a thought to begin your existence with.

In demonic form, Ms. Sharp (ne Reyach) appears as a thin, vaguely feminine figure, 8 feet tall with elongated and ape-like limbs (complete with multiple joints that bend in strange ways), hands and feet,. The figure would appear nude but is doll-like in appearance, and those unfortunate enough to get a close look will see that her skin is a fine mesh of tiny metallic rectangles, shot through with green. vein-like circuits. Much of her body is not actually visible to most humans – her face features only a mouth, the rest of her head covered with thousands of pin-prick holes, along with her shoulders, neck, lower abdomen, and thighs. These holes are constantly spraying a fine mist (the product of the constant churn of machinery in her torso) that normally does not fully conceal her but obscures her demonic features in its ever-present cloud.

The mist serves many purposes. Sharp controls the color, volume, and to some great extent the properties of this substance. In and of itself, its consistency is thin but oily, and the coating of her body makes her hard to physically grasp. By overloading the vents of her body to envelop her form, she can alter the albedo of the oil just such that it serves to reflect and conceal her form from the naked eye. In a pinch, she can suck in her exhaust, exposing her naked form, and condense it into a powerful base sludge that she can vomit at attackers. And for truly dire situations, she can become the mist, allowing her to escape scenes or subject multiple attackers to blinding, choking fog.

- Who did you share part of yourself with after you first Fell?

Jess and I ran Scentsual Boutique (Jess’ idea, I took every opportunity to rib her over it), a scent shop below our small apartment. Karen Pasternak, owner of the cupcakery across the street, had heard the news of Jess’ death (her nephew was an EMT, I assume that's how she got word) and came over to comfort me.

I was crying, genuinely crying, for the first time, and it was a mess. I had a shaky hold on my form, being newly without God’s input, and so the mist came out of me through my pores, blood red and thick, probably courtesy of my brand new emotional state. Karen let herself in through the front door and promptly freaked out, first thinking that I might have killed someone, but given that it was coming from me and wasn’t blood, she concluded that I had been possessed in my grief. That was a very close call – I managed to talk her into keeping it quiet, and she had me and my shop “exorcised” by her blathering rear end of a priest. Bloody waste of time, obviously, and quite a subtle stage performance by me, strapped to that table and convincing the both of them that they had accomplished something for their trouble. I’ve kept the fireworks to a minimum since then and mention my gratitude to her once in awhile, and she seems satisfied that I’m back to being Mr. Robinson again.

- Who doesn't know, but suspects you are not human?

Jess’ sister, Kate Hamilton. A few years older, corporate accountant. During much of my time alongside Jess we didn’t get on, she felt her sister would be best served pursuing more concrete aspirations in other areas of business beyond “the smell market” and considered me a bad influence (and a pretty boy perpetually soon to leave her twisting in the wind, naturally) but after Scentsual Boutique (I miss Jess, I really do) became profitable, things settled down between us.

She was in town for a week after Jess’ death and we grieved together and tried to make sense of it (or she did, I had more or less decided what kind of sense it made). I slept on the couch in the downstairs office, she slept in our old bed (I was feeling sick in it anyway). The day she was to fly out she seemed to be incredibly nervous, and on a hunch I checked her phone while she showered. I’m not sure what she was hoping to find, but the recordings on her phone were of me, talking in my sleep. I wasn’t saying anything incriminating, but it was how I was saying it. There were maybe 2 minutes of recorded mumbling in just under two dozen native languages from around the world. I swiped the mini-SD card and we made stiff small talk to the airport. The way she glanced back at me from the terminal, I knew she was shaken.

- Who could give you up to the Angels right now, if they really wanted to?

The Apollon, obviously. But also Mason Deitel, Indiana construction and home security magnate, patriarch of the Deitel clan, and head of my cult. I had called upon his father Norman in the mid 1950’s, much as I’d called upon Jess. I was less subtle, apparently – I can’t remember the project I was sent to facilitate but it’s evident that I came to him in angelic form. He was a sculptor, and he was commissioned by one of the big banks in downtown Indy to build a quartet of dancing figures for their courtyard. They were striking pieces, and his work got better over time from that point – many consider his greatest work to have been the memorial to the two busloads of girl scouts that died in a 30-car pileup only weeks after the unveiling of the quartet. It's a "site of historical significance" now, at Riverside Park. Norman Deitel became an avant garde sculptor of national renown and the money that didn’t go into his children’s futures went into his newly bought estate on the outskirts of Indy, the Avalon House, and the small shrine within dedicated to The Lady of Avalon, to whom he owed his success.

Mason was 8 when his father’s rise began, and he did actually see Reyach’s form, though he wasn’t supposed to. He’s 67 now and has raised his children and grandchildren as his father raised him, a faithful servant of the Family God. It took some doing, but I was curious enough about my angelic past and dogged enough in pursuit to sniff out the Deitel family and establish Graham as the Lady's emissary on Earth. Mason alone knows who Graham is and his true identity. All other family members are Never Here’d or meet me wearing a mask, or both. I like to think it adds to my mystique.

- Who would you trust the truest part of yourself with if you absolutely had to?

Bernard Suy, a master perfumer, now retired in his 60’s after a long career. He and I (or he and Graham) have great mutual respect for each other, and he’s always struck me as a thoughtful, deliberate and forthright man, open-minded and curious, possessed of an iron will. He fled from Cambodia on foot during the genocide, branded as an “intellectual” along with his friends from university, so he knows what it’s like to be hunted. I sometimes wonder if Bernard would even be surprised at the senseless existence of the God Machine.

- Who thinks they have something on you, when all they really have is smoke and mirrors?

Edna Pendleton, an old widow of affluence in Indianapolis. I've encountered quite a few people like Edna in fine art and luxury circles, the kind of person who acts like they own something as soon as they decide they want it. She’d always fancied my Graham form. I considered her vulgar, but she paid well enough to be one of the few clients that I made scents for directly, instead of Jess. At the very least I had the pleasure of cutting in my own special ingredients – a touch of fish viscera was a favorite – but only so much that I alone knew they were there. One of my few private amusements.

Edna made an overt pass at Graham after Jess died, offering patronage, travel, comfort, her own hollow sentiments on grief (she had clearly never cared for her husband). I politely rebuffed her, at which point she showed her trump card – pictures of Graham on his nighttime excursions while I was still on God’s payroll. There was nothing overtly incriminating about them – the worst you could say was that I could be randomly wasteful with my product – but she took those instances in which I had to enter structures beyond the view of a telephoto lens as evidence that I had been engaging in illicit affairs. She threatened to ruin my reputation and business, but I called her bluff. I'm an artist, after all, it's not as if anyone would be surprised to learn Jess and I were open. Edna left the shop belligerently vowing that she would get what she wanted one day. As far as I'm concerned she's mostly harmless, but if push comes to shove, I can be secure in the knowledge that her mansion was built, and its security system designed, by Deitel and Sons Inc.

- How did you fall in line with your Agenda?

Perhaps following from my function as an angel, I enjoy the company of mortals and have some natural fondness for them. But aside from a scant few impressive specimens (master craftsmen like Bernard, usually), I suppose you could say I view mortals through a paternalistic lens – it’s not that they’re hopeless without me (they are hardy creatures, to have survived in this world for so long), it’s just that they could do so much better with a guiding hand. As far as I'm concerned the “traditional” demonic cult model is needlessly ostentatious and dangerous, I prefer my mortals dependent on me in a more personal sense, with none of the cowl-and-dagger bullshit. Sometimes I feel more kinship with my adopted children than my more gregarious cousins… but if nothing else, we builders share a special understanding of the pleasure that comes from carving one’s own domain under the nose of our Father. Existing outside of His design allows me to better His creations by my own hands. They are better for my influence.

- When did you first make contact with the Apollon Group?

While searching for clues to my past and seeking out the Deitels, through old manuscripts and microfiche, it became evident that I was not the only agent of the Machine to have made a mark upon the world, and not the only agent to persist after her fall. I was contacted by agents of the Group shortly after perusing A.W. Culp’s shop, and accepted a provisional membership. There’s something to be said for having friends among kin.

- Why do you have the Embeds you do and why is your first Key significant to you?

Most of my embeds reflect my former life as mentor and messenger to the God Machine’s mortal subjects. My task was delicate, as were my methods. Special Message and Muse were old standbys, means to subtly impress upon charges exactly what God intended, guiding where their work took them, pulling the leash of inspiration. Heart’s Desire was used to insinuate whatever my cover was into the lives of my charges and keep them on God’s track. In times of need and stress I would appear with whatever was needed to help them focus solely upon the work.

My first key, on the other hand... It's something of a bitter joke, if we're being honest. A manifestation of my first real thought, a wish granted too late. When I erase myself from the memories of a mortal I'm reminded of what I would have done for Jess, had I not been enslaved to the unbending will of our Father. I suppose you could say that my hell is that erasure writ large, the creation of an enclave of which God has no perception, and for which he has no design. I doubt I'll ever see it, but I have to believe that it's possible.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 19, 2014

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Looking back on it I might have to adjust or rewrite the second question - I would imagine that talking in one's sleep might fall under "involuntary displays of emotion" that demons are incapable of. Or maybe chalk it up to early roadbumps in adjusting to existence outside God's code, idk.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Any feedback? Will there be a general call for recruitment?

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

I'm interested in playing Demon PbP. I'll read the thread in full and start making a character, assuming there's a slot available?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
poo poo's still open, yeah.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Sweet. I'll be without internet for the Friday/Saturday/Sunday long weekend here but after that I'm good to go. I'll make something and post it tonight.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
I'm not really sure what I should ask about in character. Could I make an investigation roll to glean any relevant details, or assume I know them and make an investigation roll to try to figure out what happened?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

QuantumNinja posted:

I'm not really sure what I should ask about in character. Could I make an investigation roll to glean any relevant details, or assume I know them and make an investigation roll to try to figure out what happened?

I would say the latter.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Basic Chunnel posted:

Any feedback? Will there be a general call for recruitment?

It's good. I was waiting for the other guy to write a sheet up, but I guess not. Consider yourself in if you still want it.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Sure thing! Just let me know when and how it's good to jump in.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Sorry, was busier than I expected this week. I probably don't have enough time to commit to writing worthwhile posts, so count me out.

Have fun guys.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Basic Chunnel posted:

Sure thing! Just let me know when and how it's good to jump in.

Probably will insert you in as someone who is sent in to rope in these crazy guys, because so far one of them has gone missing, another got arrested by cops while disguised as someone else, and they're suspected of working with someone to kill a source of extortion money and Contracts. Hopefully the pace of this game picks up when college stuff ends. I'd like to continue the game, as I'm having a lot of fun with it, but the game is progressing slower than a glacier coated in molasses because of everyone else and I having a busy schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Yeah sorry, I guess I've been at a bit of a loss on what to do next. I don't really want to sit here rolling all my social merits to work on things that are separate from, and likely counter to, the group, especially considering it's the middle of the night. And obviously going to the scene of a known angelic throwdown is just stupid.

• Locked thread