Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I wonder how good the AI is at playing this Civ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Cythereal posted:

Catherine? She's usually pretty harmless unless you piss her off, in my experience. I'd have suggested Hiawatha or Ashurbanipal if I'd continued suggestions.
I can't remember which, but there was a Civ where Catherine's AI had a ludicrously short fuse and would be nigh-impossible to placate once she went on the warpath. First contact would basically play out: "Hi there, we're the Russians, welcome to the neighETERNAL WAR :unsmigghh:"

Stallion Cabana posted:

I wonder how good the AI is at playing this Civ
All the enemy warlords have Mammal Pods! :gonk:

Tupperwarez fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 21, 2014

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I'm going to guess Civ3. If nothing else because it's been ages since I played it.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
Wow! This is cool! I've got to download this mod when I get home. Your writing is pretty awesome as well.

Science Rocket
Sep 4, 2006

Putting the Flash in Flash Man
Civ 4 Catherine would go on crusades. The only person worse was Montezuma, that man waged a war on me for no reason from the other side of the world. He sent three boats full of men that died instantly around the year 1400 and I was at war till I won the space race in 2040.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Oh man, I've seen this mod (thanks to The T and some other Civ playing goons) but haven't gotten a chance to play it. I really like mods that add new gameplay mechanics, so I'm really interested in seeing how this plays out

On a somewhat related note, I feel like Civ4 had more total conversion mods (like Fall From Heaven 2 or that one Dune mod) than I've seen for 5, but maybe that's because 5 hasn't been out as long as 4 had by the time those started coming out? I'm not actually sure about the timing. Or maybe I just don't know where to look :v:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Oh man, this is looking absolutely phenomenal. You really capture the Peace Walker feel with the conversations.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
NVM; I misremembered something.

Supersonic Shine fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 21, 2014

Squibidyflop
Jul 30, 2013

I gave this mod a go a while back, it wasn't enough to drag me into Civ V's clutches. This already looks more entertaining than my experience with it, looking forward to more.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Part 3: Time to get the party started

Hmph. Yet more intruders. I will keep this simple. Do not cross paths with me and you will live. Otherwise, you will die.

Got it. Well, you're on the other side of Montezuma right now so you're not high on my priority list. By the way…he seems to be fixated on sacrificing foreigners for their blood. That means he's as much a threat to you as he is to us. Do you think we should coordinate a--

NO. I see no reason to get my people wounded in battle for your benefit. Deal with him yourself.

Okaaaay…

More potential clients! Excellent. Let's move that exploring warrior unit--Honeypot Ant--into their territory so we can collect rent and salvage from 'em.

Scouting party Macaw, you're up. I want you to sneak around north of Montezuma and see what's up there.

Our mercenaries are breaking even at the moment, but once things improve a bit I think I can make the payouts higher. That's always the downside of guard duty: usually, if you're doing your job right, nothing wrong happens and the client gets complacent, and then they think they don't need you. If we had some way of proving ourselves to the city-states we could easily demand a raise.

We need more research to work our way past sticks and twigs for weapons. I'm prioritizing a way of getting us a library and other stuff like that to speed everything else along. Some fresh paper might be nice, so we can print up manuals.

Mother Base is better still, now. I'm thinking next we should have a kill room, something for everyone to practice on. Our troops won't be so green.

I'm thinking of a few different ways of making MSF better, too.

Kaz, you like reminding me that MSF's a business, but it's more than that to me. It's going to be a society. A place where we honor those who fight. We're going to need to lay down social rules and so on to make our Outer Heaven a fine place to live.

Good idea. Just make sure we do more than sharpen our swords all day.

Of course. I'll make sure we have policies that promote growth and happiness too, but for now, let's focus on killing those barbarians and making our clients proud--and giving our men something to have pride in too.

Yeah! That's what I'm talking about! Thanks, Big Boss!

(Killing off two barbarian brute units with Honor gives us 16 culture points, putting us very close to the next policy. Plus, we're going to be fighting barbs, a lot, so going Honor as MSF is very wise.)

You know what my favorite MSF tradition is? It's one of our first. The monthly birthday celebration for everyone whose birthday is in that month.

Right. Time to start outfitting some workers to haul in stuff from the land--and as soon as we can, we'll get that library built. Meanwhile, I'm assigning Alligator the task of teaching everyone how to use a bow. We'll need that power soon.

Sir! We found another settlement north of the Aztecs! It looks ancient, but very swank…uh, he wants to talk to you over the radio, sir.

Fascinating. What great power this technology must give you…to control your forces at a distance instantly instead of waiting for a messenger. We must talk more on this later.

(…Snake, I don't know about this.)

(Why? He doesn't seem so bad compared to the other two leaders we've met.)

(That's just because he knows how to be diplomatic. Assyria is the world's first empire--the first people who went around conquering other people. He might be just as bad as Montezuma.)

By the way, "Big Boss…" You must be wondering why you have appeared in this land, full of so many…anachronisms. Well, knowledge is power, and I happen to know exactly why we are here. If you want this knowledge, you'll have to come here…personally. You'll need to face the "test," of course.

Hrrrmmm…

Mother Base's Kill Room is set up. Now we're trying to scrounge up enough unused scrap metal to make weapons. Of course, none of us know how to blacksmith the old-fashioned way…we'll have to relearn that from scratch to make use of the iron.

Foraging for jungle food on the fly is one of my favorite activities, but if we really want to make use of these plants near our base we'll have to know when exactly they bloom. Since we don't know what the hell day it is I guess this means researching the calendar and the moon phase and other junk like that.

Hey, there's another civilization over here, north of Ashurbani--ash--north of the tablet guy.

GIVE ME THE TALKING BOX NOW!

Uh-oh.

ATTENTION DISTANT WARRIORS! I AM ATTILA AND I AM HERE TO KILL EVERYONE!

Kaz, please tell me when we research fermentation, because I am going to need a stiff drink real soon.

To Be Continued!

Current map:

(Looks like Monty's got a surprisingly low-population city…he must be prioritizing settlers…)

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
That Attila seems like a nice guy. We should be best friends forever!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Well, here's a place where soldiers will never be forgotten. They'll be too busy fighting everybody else. Can't wait to see where this goes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Okay, Temujin. You can stop hiding now.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Well, at least everyone is on the opposite side of Montezuma.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Is there anything special I need to do to get the game to recognize this mod? Every other mod from the same author works fine (including the watered down G&K version of this one), but I can't get my game to recognize Subsistence at all.

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Of all evil I deem you capable: therefore I want the good from you. Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.
I tried out the MSF Civ for a while this morning, and though I'm not good at the game, or knowledgeable, or anything, it certainly doesn't seem like it's well balanced. That said, it's good fun, and it's definitely a very different style of play than usual! (Play on a map where your forces aren't constantly moving 1 hex a turn, though, or you'll hate yourself before long - MSF demands you hunt down enemies and city-states at a rapid pace.)

...the author's got a lot of other content, though. Being a very different kind of dork than your usual historical Civ wonk, I've been spending a lot of time on this. :v: (Add the soundtrack mod for best results.)

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

This is silly, and it is wonderful. I so hope America or England are in the game, just to see Snake's reaction.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

This where I realised the MSF are broke as hell. 3 iron for free? Yes please!

Fun as hell though, and very different from other civs.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

The Deleter posted:

To be fair, in a single city challenge having iron or not pretty much determines how much of a military you can have early-game (as do the other strategic resources later). If you're making a military civ you definitely want some way to ensure they get iron

On the other hand the numbers may or may not be balanced, but it's not necessarily a fundamentally broken thing

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

The Deleter posted:

Keep in mind you can't settle cities, so you're stuck with whatever resources you have in your capital, can trade for, or can conquer. Still, nice.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

1stGear posted:

Well, at least everyone is on the opposite side of Montezuma.

As if Monty is the first in a series of increasingly silly boss battles with bizarre gimmicks.

And I can't help but read all of Snake's dialogue in Hayter's voice, but I'm likely not alone there.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Heavy neutrino posted:

Is there anything special I need to do to get the game to recognize this mod? Every other mod from the same author works fine (including the watered down G&K version of this one), but I can't get my game to recognize Subsistence at all.

Elaborate on this. Is the mod not downloading, or is it showing up but the civ isn't there, or? Where does the hiccup occur.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

The T posted:

Elaborate on this. Is the mod not downloading, or is it showing up but the civ isn't there, or? Where does the hiccup occur.

The Steam downloads window says it downloaded, but it doesn't show up on the "Mods" screen in-game.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Heavy neutrino posted:

The Steam downloads window says it downloaded, but it doesn't show up on the "Mods" screen in-game.

Then it isn't downloading. Civ V just seems to have a huge problem with downloading mods. The easiest thing to try is to go to C:\Users\You\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\cache\ and delete Civ5ModsDatabase.db. Then reload it. This will cause all of your mods to re-download though--this usually shouldn't cause any issues though but could potentially break saves if you saved with an old version of a different mod. Also I've had times where I delete it and then have to sit on the mods screen for upwards of 10 minutes before it decides to redownload everything.

So yes, Civ V and Steam Workshop are super fickle. Good luck.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Lest Snake not think the Assyrians are terrifying shitkickers, if I recall correctly they used to engage in a policy called 'calculated frightfulness' by historians. If I'm remembering my history right, that actually translated to skull piles, and adding the severed heads of their enemies as decorations to engravings of domestic scenes as if it was no big deal, just part of the scenery.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

IMJack posted:

As if Monty is the first in a series of increasingly silly boss battles with bizarre gimmicks.

And I can't help but read all of Snake's dialogue in Hayter's voice, but I'm likely not alone there.

I'm reading it OUT LOUD in David Hayter's voice. I cant get the growl quite right though.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
This is a Pangaea map with every single Warmonger-type civ on it, isn't it.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

There is no way that the enemy civs were picked randomly.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

President Ark posted:

This is a Pangaea map with every single Warmonger-type civ on it, isn't it.

He said Fractal, but conveniently left out his AI choosing process

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
We're going to meet Ghandi next, aren't we?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

OAquinas posted:

We're going to meet Ghandi next, aren't we?
And he's going to declare war on us.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Queen Fiona posted:

...the author's got a lot of other content, though. Being a very different kind of dork than your usual historical Civ wonk, I've been spending a lot of time on this. :v: (Add the soundtrack mod for best results.)

Yeah, that's actually pretty interesting too. This mod author is surprisingly creative.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Endorph posted:

And he's going to declare war on us.

After a series of humorous events, we end up in an alliance with Attila and Monty. Against the rest of the world.

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Of all evil I deem you capable: therefore I want the good from you. Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.

OAquinas posted:

Keep in mind you can't settle cities, so you're stuck with whatever resources you have in your capital, can trade for, or can conquer. Still, nice.

Part of the annoyance in my current MSF run (I'll probably restart on a higher difficulty and a different map) is my complete and utter lack of horses. So resource-wise, certainly, that's a tall order. But certainly MSF feels a bit iffy...not extremely iffy, just a bit. Not something you'd want to play seriously, but fun for a change of pace.

Speedball posted:

Yeah, that's actually pretty interesting too. This mod author is surprisingly creative.

I can vouch for the attention to detail being about the same as this MSF mod, as well as the inspired mechanics. Balance is even iffier, though, and for one of the two civs I tried, the unique unit appeared to not really work particularly well. (Yeah, I really needed to use all that production on 5 Influence...or less.)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Queen Fiona posted:

I can vouch for the attention to detail being about the same as this MSF mod, as well as the inspired mechanics. Balance is even iffier, though, and for one of the two civs I tried, the unique unit appeared to not really work particularly well. (Yeah, I really needed to use all that production on 5 Influence...or less.)

Far as I can tell the Incubators are best meant to be used later in the game than right at the start, hence why you get such low values at first. They're mostly based off of the population of the target city.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
...I notice that in amongst the collection of the guy who created this mod, there's a certain other character as well...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Astro Nut posted:

...I notice that in amongst the collection of the guy who created this mod, there's a certain other character as well...
Gilgamesh? :v:

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!

Speedball posted:

GIVE ME THE TALKING BOX NOW!

Uh-oh.

ATTENTION DISTANT WARRIORS! I AM ATTILA AND I AM HERE TO KILL EVERYONE!

Kaz, please tell me when we research fermentation, because I am going to need a stiff drink real soon.

Oh, if only Boudicca would show up to export the faith of AssKicking, next. :allears:

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Vicas posted:

To be fair, in a single city challenge having iron or not pretty much determines how much of a military you can have early-game (as do the other strategic resources later). If you're making a military civ you definitely want some way to ensure they get iron

On the other hand the numbers may or may not be balanced, but it's not necessarily a fundamentally broken thing

OAquinas posted:

Of course. The MSF doesn't have the advantage of being able to butter up city states quite as easily as Venice can. I know I haven't got horses in my own MSF game, and none of the city-states I'm allied with have them either. Unlucky, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

Gilgamesh? :v:
I think he meant Revolver Ocelot.

• Locked thread