Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

BenRGamer posted:

No, no, no. Napoleon isn't what you'd call human. He's a consciousness that formed over the past hundreds of years layer by layer in the crucible of the Eiffel Tower and the Louvre. It's not unlike the way life started in the oceans four billion years ago. They were his primordial soup, a base of evolution.

Now I have this horribly racist image of an AI avatar of everything that is French in mind. Thanks a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's also nibbling on a virtual baguette.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but Mongols lost to France. I think he's in the postgame now.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
They're generally trying to take non-controversial people, and the further back you go in history, the less emotion they tend to stir up. I'd imagine that's why you get Catherine for Russia, for example - imagine her replaced with any of the Soviet-era murderers.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, if you think of any male character in any game, chances are pretty good it's Steve Blum on numbers alone. That or Nolan North.
Anyway, yes, it is Steve Blum.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

There's also one where it didn't work so well.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_battleship_Tirpitz

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Screen Door Slams posted:

I expected this to be a lot worse than it is.

It's still pretty terrible though. Something about robots singing mock-tribal themes just doesn't fit.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Midnight Voyager posted:

but it fed into that terrible little "Teenagers can be smart and do awesome things!" urge that twelve year olds get.

So it's basically anime.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Wild Knight posted:

(My fiancé claims Ender's Shadow is good because it's basically Game from Bean's point of view and he's a vastly more interesting protagonist. Then again this woman did unironically enjoy Eragon when she first read it. So did I...we both know better now

It reads like Ender's fanfiction. The quality is what you'd expect from that description.
I actually enjoyed Speaker for the Dead; it only went really downhill when all the faster than light magic started happening.
And what can't be stated enough times: Card is a dick.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Arbitrary Coin posted:

I couldn't help but think of that stupid test company when I read that name. Their UA would totally involve extra unhappy for extra gold :v:

At least it isn't statistics.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Accordion Man posted:

When it comes to the genetics thing wasn't it actually canon that Liquid is a moron and was just being lied to about all that? I'm still going with that regardless. :haw:

Well, it would have to go through the rest of FOXHOUND to agree to the plan. Ocelot is probably on the conspiracy for whatever reason, but I don't see something as stupid as dominant and recessive genes going through Mantis or Wolf, those both seemed fairly intelligent.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Tomn posted:

With the discussion about giant bipedal nuclear robots, though, question I have - is there any conceivable situation where a giant bipedal warbot would actually make more practical sense than, say, a tank or a nuclear submarine or what have you?

If you desperately want Japan on your side?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Paul.Power posted:

There's also their kid brother:

For reference, that's a destroyer (i.e. the anti-sub ship type) with the ability to grow legs and walk on land. It's a ship on legs, but it's still considerably smaller than the other two.

The Cybrans had the best unit design.

Pfft. We had those in Soviet Russia.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yakety Sax.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

It is not Alpha Centauri 2. It is a sci-fi Civilization game that takes some inspiration from Alpha Centauri but the developers have stressed in every interview that it is not AC2, is not trying to be AC2, and they don't want it to be seen and judged as AC2.

Mostly because any said judging would end up with it being inadequate, AC being the best Civ game.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

GhostStalker posted:

Never having played the original, I'm not going to have my opinions of the game colored before even seeing any more of Beyond Earth, but calling it basically Alpha Centauri 2 is a convenient shorthand for now.

That's actually a good move. I don't think the Civ fanbase is as rabid, but remember what happened around "Fallout" 3.
As for AC not having aged well, I had it on my laptop for the last six years and still occassionally play it. While there are definitely things that could be improved on (mostly with regards to combat), no other 4X game has managed to hold me for this long.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I find it quite hilarious that Big Boss's stare looks feminine while the magical girl has a manly face.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
To be fair a lot of it is caused by Doyle himself having told other authors to do whatever the hell they want with a character he was literally sick of. Holmes is an open source whodunit.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

NHO posted:

No response to Snake/Madoka thingy?

I have one on the top of the page. If you wish me to elaborate: it's a silly picture of a stupid idea.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Gyra_Solune posted:

Not shown: the one that is Romance of the Three Kingdoms, only everyone is a super-deformed Gundam. Oh, and apparently they are humans from the future who evolved into Gundams

...the Fafner movie is pretty rad though.

If they're from future, why are they reliving the three kingdoms?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Tomn posted:

Say, the Metal Gear series hasn't yet had a Metal Gear battle in space, have they?

I'm honestly expecting that in Rerevengeance.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
And ruins from this one.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

LoonShia posted:

So they're grenade... apples?

Yup! In some languages literally.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I always thought it stood for "Screw Sensible Script", honestly.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

BattleCattle posted:

Those mice arE AlaskAn field mIce. Don'T WoRry. ThEy CaN't HuRt you.

I would like to point out the existence of the Zanzibar Poison Hamster in MGS canon.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Speedball posted:

Well, considering that MGS2 strongly implied that Raiden played Metal Gear Solid 1 himself... (and the Tanker mission) this is more dead on than you think.

Really? I thought it outright stated he went through it in VR with better results than Snake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Double Rabite posted:

If you are playing on the harder diffucults you have now failed the game, Good Luck!
Yeah, this would make it essentially impossible to play against the AI, given how psychotic it is.

• Locked thread