Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I get the feeling he's going to accidentally grind the hell out of that gag skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
To be fair, knowing this comic it could just be foreshadowing to Jee-Han getting his poo poo wrecked because he didn't dump enough points into wisdom. :v:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
It's nice to see that a developer's tendency to enable terrible options by default extends even to Gaia/God/Whatever

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

I would laugh so hard if he manages to find a 'Cash shop' option in his menu system. :allears:

I don't think Gaia is in to casual games. They play a mean game of Civ.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

blastron posted:

He's playing a Korean MMO that doesn't even have auto-loot, do you honestly think that there would be quality-of-life features like party teleportation?

He didn't even notice the options menu until recently, then just glanced over it. Dude probably has auto-loot and just doesn't use it.

Dude really ought to spend some time trying to find an FAQ or a wiki. In fact that might make for a pretty funny chapter.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 7, 2014

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
The Gamer: Grinding for Exams

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I'm think the same thing Sae Young being a huge tease fits perfectly on that mindset since she can lure him with her female wiles to join the Chunbumoon

Eh, I don't know. He's known this family for a long time, and his powers never manifested until recently. They would have no idea how useful he'd be, so that's one hell of a long con for something of unknown utility. I'd expect his mom to be up to something before these guys.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

DrSunshine posted:

He should raise his crafting skill and make his own drat magic weapons! Maybe once he's crafted a thing he could use Chunbumoon mana manipulation skills to imbue it with magic and then raise his Enchantment skill! I think that'd be a really good use for a high INT character like he's shaping out to be.

I would loving love to see Jee-Han grind gear crafting. He'd keep stabbing his fingers trying to sew and get a pity skill.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Desuwa posted:

I'm betting something will happen and he'll be pushed into raising his strength to equip that hammer. It's a good weapon for a hybrid (with that mana boost) and he has that blunt weapon skill from earlier.

He was told to train up martial arts more. The CC skill is nice but it'd still be smart to dump some extra points into strength.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

KittyEmpress posted:

We're not assuming that they've been doing this the entire time they've known him, just that since he revealed his powers to them, they told the market, so the market would approach him, so they could scare him into getting closer to the family, so they could take advantage of the new ability.

But their behavior has gone unchanged to our knowledge and there's plenty of other possibilities as to how a mystical black market figured out who he is (I mean, it is a mystical black market.)

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Jee-Han can't comprehend something more powerful than the person who buys him frozen pizzas.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
What bugs me most about bad scanlations is the sound effects being left in the native alphabet. I get why they don't, because on the surface it seems like you're spending more time on the typesetting for something most people won't care about. The thing is, when they're just left as is, it really draws your attention to them and you probably aren't going to even begin to understand what the sound is supposed to be. It drags me out of every chapter, every scene, every panel. It totally sucks. It's a smaller thing, but it's harder to overlook.

Also the other group doesn't even translate the title, and that poo poo's on the same white background every week. Come on, guys, just spend the time on the logo and you're pretty much done with it forever. Just loving steal it from BAP if you really don't want to make your own. To me, and most readers who want a translation, Korean looks like a loving inkblot. If that was all I had to go with, I wouldn't even know this manhwa's name!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Clarste posted:

I'm not sure if the goal of translation is to make you completely forget that this was ever in another language. Maybe it is sometimes, but not always. Personally I try to translate sound effects when it's relevant, but most of the time it's like the sound of footsteps or something. If you see the guy running in the panel, then you don't need the SFX translated. You know what a footstep sounds like, probably better than "tap tap" or whatever would convey.

Also, yes, translating the SFX takes ~5-10 times as long for something no one cares about.

To me, it's really one of those things I don't notice until it's impossible not to. It's not like I'm paying much attention to sound effects in English comics, but when I can't read sound effects at all, it's like I've got tinnitus. Footsteps and poo poo are certainly minor, but even a tiny note on the important sound effects would be worth the effort. Most books have plenty of margin to work with.

I guess it doesn't honestly bother me that much, since it's not like I've ever quit reading something because of it. It makes everything feel flat, though.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Apr 27, 2014

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Silento posted:

I'm not sure how to handle puns--like Zoro's attacks in One Piece, for instance. It's not too hard to translate the odd pun here or there, but when you have a dozen of them all sharing a theme, English, as a langauge, is not equipped for that.

The thing about puns is, even if you translate them perfectly, they're still puns.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

pnumoman posted:

I don't give a flying gently caress about dumb translation slap fights, but I will drop kick a motherfucker who denies the utter awesomeness of puns.

Why does it seem like the US is the only place where hating on puns is commonplace?

Puns are the last refuge of scoundrels and I will hear no different. :colbert:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Nondevor posted:

It would probably delete the file off his Kindle or something. Or if it's public domain...

:getin:

Worse, it would destroy his tablet.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Grind, get won drops, buy another tablet. v:v:v

I just like the idea of every iPad he owns turning to dust as soon as he tries to read a course book.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Sir PigglyWiggly posted:

No see it'll be a tiny 6 inch level 1 baby pebble Golem, that he has to raise, then he'll find a book on raising familiars off the auction and realize that depending in what he feeds the little guy it'll become either a) a massive rock monster and the best tank ever or b) a teenage girl. Then he makes a choice. Also he'll have to grind money because it'll need to eat diamonds or something expansive to boost it's Vit. Korean MMO are a pain

Could be worse, could be EV training

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I'm actually getting really loving annoyed with Jee Han's inability to put his points in something other than INT at this point. I can see avoiding stats totally out of a magic character's wheelhouse but he doesn't think WIS is going to be useful to his build? I thought he was supposed to be good at this poo poo.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I'm gonna be loving furious if he's been bumbling around in the dark afraid to experiment with this power beyond finding one thing that he can work with if he finds a loving respec potion or something.

Though if they make a serious plot point about real life not being an MMO, even with gamer powers, that'll be pretty cool and redeem this. I get that Korean MMOs can be super rough, but he's the only one that can make an optimized build anyway so I don't think he needs to worry about min-maxing.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 8, 2014

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Fabricated posted:

I dunno why you wouldn't bump your fundamental physical stats until you were at least in Jason Bourne status. Doesn't seem like it'd be that difficult or require that many points to get your agility/strength/constitution up to where you're close to the pinnacle of non-magical human fitness.

I was hoping he'd take a broader approach to all this after those dudes almost killed him or enslaved him, which is why I am so frustrated he decided to double down on magic. I mean sure, spec in magic, that's pretty loving awesome, but everyone's been telling you and your experiences have been showing you that you need to learn to handle yourself. Why wrack your brain trying to come up with evasion magic or whatever when you can just learn to dodge?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I hope that, once he learns this super cool technique, he makes an effort to establish a decent baseline of stats. I mean, it's not like he has a ton of goals at the moment besides just being really great at killing illusions. He wants to defend himself if he's going to be a target, and he wants to help Blues Brother's daughter, but it's not like, you know, something in his quest log. He could be extraordinary at everything, relative to normal people, by spending a few hours grinding.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 10:30 on May 9, 2014

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
My biggest reason why he might want to boost his less useful stats up to a fair level would be, outside of being the most popular dude in school, the potential passives he could get and also that he may find a way to pull out some insane buffs with better knowledge of the stats he's ignoring.

Sure, having the strength and agility of a dude who puts effort into hitting the gym every day may not help in the Abyss, but if it gives him an idea to double that with his magic, dude could hold his own against anyone.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
This summon thing isn't any different from his other magic or whatever in the sense of how "real" it is. None of it comes from his gamer ability; it already exists in this world. Jee-Han's ability doesn't allow him to use any unique techniques so much as it allows him to do anything within the restriction of his stats (with some exceptions).

The pact might have a bigger impact than he expects, but I don't think it'll be affected any differently by his ability. If anything, it might result in some extra passives.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
All of the spirits could form a slice-of-life story on the side. Let's not get all fatalistic.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Clarste posted:

Clearly Jee Han gets addicted to the "true joy" that he can only feel while forming contracts with spirits, so he spends all his time and money buying up new summoning books on the internet until Sun Il stages an intervention.

Better yet, his addiction changes his ability from Korean MMO Gamer to Pokemon Gamer.

Several arcs will be dedicated to EV training.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
At least this chapter had a good cliffhanger. I'm always entertained by The Gamer but it usually doesn't leave me excited for more.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Mangacow appears to be down, here's an alternate link.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

ImpactVector posted:

I still can't believe he completely gave up on the "dodge skill" thing after just trying it in a vacuum. It seems like something that'd only work if you're dodging an actual attack. Maybe if one of his martial arts buddies taught him how to do a dodge roll he could get a few invulnerability frames out of the deal.

I'm still hoping they'll bring other types of games into this ability. Broken-rear end RPG mechanics are cool and all, but frankly I'd rather live my life like a character from a Platinum game.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

KoB posted:

I wonder if /pizza works.

If he never does this, the entire comic will be a wasted opportunity.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Silynt posted:

Maybe a high luck doesn't mean high GOOD Luck, just a heightened likelihood of improbable events occurring around you for better or worse. For every winning lottery ticket, you have that time you ran into Marcellus Wallace right when you got away clean.

To be fair, running into Marcellus Wallace worked out well for Butch in the end

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I want Glasses Dad standing on the tallest thing in the area to be a thing. If they're on a farm, he's standing on a tractor. On a plain, a nearby rock. In a restaurant, he stands on a table.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Kgummy posted:

What, he can't get up on top of one of these? (I'm thinking specifically of the Iowa/Oregon ones on the wiki page. But I guess those might not be Korean style ones. They probably aren't.)

I imagine he can climb any object which allows him to loom ominously.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Kgummy posted:

Then you're saying he'd find a way to get a tractor on top of it?

(Since there's no way that a tractor would be taller than that.)

...The image of him getting a tractor up there, just because he noticed it after standing on said tractor is kind of hilarious, though.

As is him standing on the cash register in the shaved ice place. Alas, we don't see that.

I actually didn't consider every single object that could be on a farm but I would also be quite happy with him stacking objects in order to stand that much higher

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

SSNeoman posted:

To be fair, that is a legitimate grinding strategy in something Oblivion :v:

Next Week: Jee Han jumps in place to grind acrobatics, then realizes if he runs in a circle while jumping he'll also get points in athletics.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
He's gonna have an existential crisis when he dies the first time and realises all he has to do is make a corpse run.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Left posted:

If he uses his Life Drain in such a way that it eats mana instead, the only way to kill him would be to have special enchants on items or something...

So it won't be long until Jee Han is going to walk around as an invincible wizard in full armor.

It'd be really cool if the series eventually expands into a bunch of PvP matches where Jee-Han makes up a ton of bullshit abilities on the fly that has huge risk/reward potential. You know he'd be able to exploit poo poo like blood magic or Shadowform, not to mention huge attacks that take out most of his mana bar. Then he'd have to turn off abilities for a while to get back MP quickly.

What I'm saying is this manwha has a huge amount of potential for dynamic fights but this all seems to be grinding right now. Guess it kinda makes sense, given that he is an MMO character, but I hope that's the direction it goes.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Sir PigglyWiggly posted:

Of course there won't be any good fights for a while, have you seen his gear? That is not raiding gear, we'll get our good fights once he gets a good set. Also a decent party, all he has so far is a wizard and two fighters.

Eh, he's more of a mixed class right now. Shaman seems most appropriate.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

NowonSA posted:

Assuming he picks up his European "take damage from mp" skill, as it stands right now he's most vulnerable to status effects. I believe they'd go right through his shield, and he can't do much if he's silenced/blinded/poisoned (poisoning would likely bypass mp shield)/ put to sleep. Of course, he can still get beat by plenty of high-level Abyss people, who could just punch down his shield way faster than he can regenerate it or drink potions to refill it, while taking negligible damage from Jee-Han's attacks.

I hope that eventually he encounters or develops solutions for all the possible ways we're thinking he could get beaten or killed, so that speculation like this has to get REALLY abstract.

Can't he heal most status effects, besides those applied by high level demons or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
So at its base level, this new arrow attack shoots 25 at once? That's nuts.