Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Demicol posted:

I don't know, isn't the rule that it's not allowed if has a noticeable effect on the world? Wouldn't teleporting to his room/house for example be allowed?

You also can't create something from nothing normally. He can. The degree to which 'the rules' apply to him is up in the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
You can't do it at all, it isn't something that happens with magic as everyone else uses it. Ever. Not in a spirit barrier, not anywhere. Conservation of mass is still a thing that applies to magic as they know it. The zombies in those barriers are spirits drawn from the environment and shaped into zombies. They aren't just magic'ed out of thin air. What his Gamer power does *actually* creates something from nothing, and is described less as magic and more as a miracle. The spirit of the world just going with the flow. As it's that same spirit that punishes people, there's a chance it just wouldn't if he did something crazy.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Yeah, his insanely bullshit power could make him an unstoppable God, but his insanely bullshit power can also give him ridiculous and overtly insulting skills like it just did. We don't know, he doesn't know, and everyone around him doesn't know what could happen. We have the general frame work of *how* it interacts with the world [Act like an idiot and confuse people a perfectly valid game move], but what in particular it'll let him do is up in the air. That's a bad place for a drama, but a good place for a comedy.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

ArcadePark posted:

I'll take a guess. Zombies are actual dead people, and the money is the physical money they had at death. Our Protagonist is a grave robber.

Probably wrong, but it's still worth a shot.

We already know what zombies are. They are spirits [In the generic sense of spirit of all things rather than 'dead folk'] pulled from the environment and shaped into zombie shapes. They aren't really zombies, there are no actual dead bodies being yanked up to wander around, and there's no way real money from dead bodies could be there. That's why they just 'poof' away, they are going back to their original non-corporeal form. And it's why it's insane he gets loot. One shouldn't be able to get zombie bits from zombies because there isn't any such thing as zombies, and they aren't actually physical in the first place. And yet there he is, walking around with actual physical objects taken from killing them.

e: The real question is is the story going to skew more serious and give him something to fight, or stay generally light hearted and keep it all a bit of a joke. Hopefully it doesn't get too serious.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Feb 4, 2014

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
To be fair, maybe his poo poo isn't about to be wrecked. He did show real wisdom at the end there. Sure he spent most of the chapter thinking about his powers and how best to grind them, but at the end he honestly reflected on the fact his mom is almost certainly hiding something and his friend is doing something that could get him killed, and that getting this amazing power may not be a gift in the end.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
In a few dozen chapters the game will transition into a hard core farming and trading simulation as he works to achieve great wealth to buy meaningless poo poo.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Man who the gently caress tries to upstage Turnip-Farmers on Kingdom? They put out like 6 chapters a week on average and they are excellently done, it's ridiculous. Nobody is winning that fight.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Another answer is job-changing. She may be a level 15 Legendary Housewife, but it doesn't mean she's not a level 99 God of Death too or some such.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Dumbshit refuses to buff Wisdom, the universe will remind him he's an idiot any chance it gets.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Yeah, one of his central powers is basically being a sociopath when it's convenient. He could skin dudes alive while they scream and cry and then make a coat out of their severed faces, and the only thing that would happen is he'd go "Man, it's pretty weird that I'm fine with this....but those are some *really* good stat bonuses.".

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

I don't know about that; he still thought the ogre panties were gross, despite them having great stats.

Sure, but he'd have exactly that level of reaction to skinning people alive for crafting mats. Not horror, not an existential crisis. Just a minor little twitch and he'd get on with his life. That's what it means to have the mindset of a video game character. You do what you have to do and you move on.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Kgummy posted:

He got pretty grossed out when zombie flesh dropped, and didn't even pick it up.

Yes, but he didn't go holy poo poo I am fighting monsters and I could die, what the hell is all this, my life is an inescapable hellscape of torment and horror. He went "ew" and moved on. It's all basically a joke to him.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Ethiser posted:

I kind of love how in Korean comics whenever some world spanning organization is brought up Korea is always one of or the strongest countries.

To be fair if there was ever going to be a super-being that derived his power through grinding ridiculous rpg stats, he would *absolutely* come from Korea. So that part is perfect.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

RatHat posted:

Yeah, so? It just means his observe skill still hasn't reached a high enough rank yet.

You don't understand, what he's saying is that the observe skill basically told him what was wrong with her from the very beginning, he just didn't understand it. It said that she is innately 'cursed', that she had a Darkness attribute from birth. He just assumed it meant some magic disease he had to cure harder, but what it meant is she literally has a Darkness aspected soul.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Serious Frolicking posted:

Fix an obvious bug and rebalance classes? You are right, that is completely alien to kmmo's.

In a world where nearly psychotic devotion to repetitive actions and mindless drudgery for the purposes of training yourself up to new heights is something that can give you supernatural powers, the crazy part is that he's the first Korean gamer with super powers they've ran into.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
If there's not meaningful information on the inside, he doesn't get a skill out of it. That's why the basics of European magic book was useless for him. It was totally about theory, there was nothing that would directly lend itself to a practical skill of some sort.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
He also realizes he's never felt the need to eat since he's gained his ability, but hasn't noticed it until now. Just that tiny little more chipping away at his basic humanity.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Artificer posted:

For someone with the Gamer's Mind he seems awfully upset.

Murder hobos only emotions are loot and revenge. Boy should they have not hosed with him.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Kyte posted:

I assume "Evil Order" is supposed to be "Lawful Evil".

Nah, it's probably the name of his group. Nobody gives a poo poo about that pointless D&D crap anymore, not even D&D. Certainly wouldn't see it in the games he plays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Serious Frolicking posted:

He doesn't make enough speeches about face for that.

That's more of a novel thing. In video games you never have to justify killing people and taking poo poo.