Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

nielsm posted:

How often does this come out? Are the translators fast? :ohdear:

I like taking the "stuck inside a game" idea and turning it about to "game stuck inside the real world".

New issues get released every Thursday. The translators usually release on Friday or Saturday.

This is a naver webtoon, so you can look at the raws here:

http://comic.naver.com/webtoon/list.nhn?titleId=552960

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

This is also incorrect, he's dropping points in Int because his thought is that int is the most important stat for a normal life, his mom wants him to be a doctor so clearly he needs to be smart. His friend points out that 'woah that's one of our highest techniques, we aren't gonna teach it to you' and he's like 'oh yeah, I know, it's just a good thing to aim for stats wise since that's the highest requirement I've seen'.

He's still in the 'I don't want to just be part of The Abyss, I need a normal life' mode.

Yeah. Someone earlier was saying that he was trying to come to terms with the fact that having an all-rounder character is the way to go, but that's not what happened at all. No matter what goal he ends up building towards, his conclusion was that he should treat his ability like he would in a game and not waste his stat points raising everything equally.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Thanks for making a thread for this, I likely never would have found it otherwise. As has been said, its characters and plot are nothing to write home about, but I really think it makes up for it in sheer originality of concept. It almost seems strange that I haven't run into this idea before.

Ironically, in Korea theres a group of people who dislike this series because game-related novels and stories are really overdone over there. People consider stories like this as copies of novels like The Legendary Moonlight Sculptor.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
Maybe everyone lives their life with MMO rules applied to them, but none of them have the main character's skill:

A Gamer's Body LvMAX : Allows user to live life as if it were a game.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
The status window for the Black Demon's Invasion says that the person needs to be periodically fed "life force" in order to keep on living. I think that's what the father was doing when he was sucking up monsters, collecting life force to give to his daughter. I'm not sure that it's related to his plan for the cure.

Law Cheetah fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 24, 2014

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
If you're tired of waiting for bapscans, some low-quality group translated last week's Gamer chapter.

http://mangajoy.com/The-Gamer/32/

These guys also got ahead of turnip-farmers by a couple chapters in Kingdom. I think they're jumping on popular series to draw attention to their site.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
BAP-Scans just happened to get 32 done today as well. What a coincidence!

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/The-Gamer/Vol-001-Ch-032-Read-Online

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Sacro posted:

If you want to not lose context and meaning from the original work learn the original language and stop reading translations.

By a similar token, if you want any say in how fan translations are done then you should be doing them yourself.

After a certain point this discussion starts feeling like unproductive whining from leecher ingrates

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

lil baby anime posted:

Puns are kisama tachis and I will destroy anyone who claims them as nakamas

finally, someone in this thread starts speaking sense

Law Cheetah fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 29, 2014

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

FrantzX posted:

How punitive are death penalties in Korean MMOs?

In the ones I've played, you just drop back down to 0% for the character's progress to the next level

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Twiddy posted:

As has been said before, he's used to thems Korean MMOs and hasn't quite resigned himself to the idea that A. this isn't a Korean MMO, and B. even if it was, you're not gonna accidentally optimize your build as the only person to play this game without any idea of what's going on.

I dunno why people are thinking that following the Korean MMO path won't be the correct one in the end. I'm pretty sure that's where the author's gonna go with this.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Dan7el posted:

One thing I noticed is he didn't get a level up notification on the summoning. I would expect, "You learned summon earth elemental level 1, etc."

He got that skill last chapter, along with an 'Earth Element Affinity'

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

When you reach maximum wisdom, you finally see the error of you ways of putting any points into wisdom.

yeah. the only effect wisdom has is making you wise enough to realize that you should have min-maxed

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Ice Phisherman posted:

Still waiting for all of this level up nonsense to take a back burner to plot again though. I like plot, but I'm not getting much of it.

I think this series is just gonna be hundreds of chapters of descriptions of how the MC levels up and everyone else complaining about how unfair he is

They will throw a chapter or two in there that seems plotty, or like things are gonna happen, but its just gonna go right back into MC realizing some new way to munchkin himself into godhood

I mean, we haven't even really gotten into craft skills yet, besides confirmation that they do exist

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Clarste posted:

He's training "normally" for physical stuff though, meaning he can't really be any better than a normal person, manhwa super martial arts aside.

He recovers back to 100% after 30 minutes of rest due to his gamer body ability, so he can theoretically cram up to 12 days of normie training into 24 hours, assuming he could work out some kind of insane 30-minute exercise regimen.

edit: Speaking of which, does he need to sleep for 8 hours anymore?

Law Cheetah fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Aug 1, 2014

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
I don't think anything is ever going to happen in this series. It's gonna be like, a metaphor for endless grinding

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

rizzen posted:

It's kind of just dragging on for me. I read this for the silly abuse of system mechanics.

The art is really bad in some places, too

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
Also, it makes no sense that everyone is going through all this trouble for one black demon soul thing or whatever. Doesn't each pillar cost like 100 demon soul things

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
is jee-han still sitting on a cache of unused stat points?

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
Is targeting Korean gaming jargon for something? Does anyone know the english-world equivalent?

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
poison can be strong. but it also can be weak. if you want my opinion, it could go either way.

incidentally, im roleplaying one of those grey guys from futurama

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
i liked the part where jee han needed the concept of "practicing things makes you better at them" explained to him

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
it happens in anime and manga, just not in this genre

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Fabricated posted:

It's strange how Toriko's demons kinda just sprout from his body whereas everyone else sorta just turns into theirs.

hey everyone this guy posted in the wrong thread everyone point and laugh at him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
he's raising himself with MMO logic.

hyper-specialization is king, and korean MMOs in particular can have character builds that have been heavily optimized by the community. any stat points spent outside of the True Golden Path are just a waste