Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I think the thing that showed real wisdom was that after reflecting on the downsides, he still kept positive about the amazing gift he's been given.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I didn't expect the ominous dude who always wears sunglasses and summons giant demon dogs to have a sympathetic motivation.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

He looks so evil, yet he's so sweet. I'm kind of shocked he hasn't asked the main character for more help.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Stealth, shmelth. He should just grind the hell out of his idiot power. If everyone believes he is nothing but a clown, he should be OK.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Sunglasses could presumably get his hands on a mountain of high quality soul gems. Even that might not be enough for a cure, but it would presumably be enough to successfully manage her condition in perpetuity.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Why hasn't he gone book shopping yet?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Translating is hard. An important thing to keep in mind is that the translator is essentially creating an entirely new text which maps to the original. The mapping will never be perfect for a lot of reasons. A translator is constantly making compromises. Just like any writer, the translator has to keep their audience in mind, I think. The pokemon dubs are awful, sure, but they were created to be the tv equivalent of candy for five year olds. I can see why they made the choices they did. I think it also makes total sense to keep Japanese honorifics for scanalations. They nerds who are reading that poo poo will know what they mean, and the mapping will be a lot better.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Dr_Amazing posted:

Reading this on my phone so I didn't even notice.

If he can instantly learn skills by touching books, he should just go to the library and touch everything in the "how to" section.

He destroys the books when he learns them. He certainly could do that, but it's kind of a dick move.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

But that combination is fantastic in real life.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I liked the panel where Jee-Han and Nome had the same goofy rear end smile.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I really liked the picture of him fighting with his earth elemental. They are an adorable duo.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Holy god his observe ability is getting out of hand.

I loved how he completely ignored the murderous thugs. Very satisfying.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

Observe and monster drops are his only really unique skills. It seems like everything else he can do would be attainable by others albeit with much more difficulty.

I disagree about observe. Sherlock could presumably get similar amounts of info. He would just have to put work into it.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I think they were mentioned, but only once, and the Japanese wasn't translated.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

This was a pretty great chapter. I laughed a lot and it ended with legitimate drama.

If she's been raised constantly training and never really interacting with people, her personality makes sense. I like that all the women in this manga seem to have their own poo poo going on.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

He hasn't been grinding his stupid dance skill either. Confusion can be a really good debuff, so he's clearly making bad choices with his build.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Nah, he got an int point for diligent studying once. Of course, that was when his int was low. I assume it gets harder to raise your stats the normal way as they get higher. Luck is the one stat I am not sure how he would raise by legit real world grinding.

Int seems like it was the right choice. Int controls magic and magic is way more versatile than any of the physical stats. Put another way, he would need strength, vitality, and agility to be a powerful physical fighter, but he only needs int to be a great wizard. I do wish he'd make better use of his social resources, though. He wanted to develop a teleportation skill at one point, but he never asked his informed friends if such a skill existed and if a skill manual was available on the black market.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I agree that using leverage to get a date is really bad in general, but I'm not so sure it's what he's really doing here. He said over and over again that he didn't expect anything from her and what he did was no big deal. Then him asking her out just kind of slipped out of him without any plan or thought about leverage. Whether it's creepy and bad or just an unusual lead up to a first date will rest on how the actual date goes, I think.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

This was a very good chapter and I laughed a lot. It's very good to see that the comic can be entertaining doing things other than exploring an interesting power set.

Also, this sick girl is very endearing. The internet. The sea of knowledge.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

This not being Worm, it's not really a story concerned enough with the ethical ramifications of having power to give real consideration to that quandary. Luckily, the world has a built in reason he can't do that. The earth gave him his power, and it will take it away and maybe even punish him if he uses it too obnoxiously. Travelling through Africa eradicating AIDS would probably qualify.

Even if he could heal as many people as he wanted to as drastic a degree as he wanted, I don't know if making himself a slave to sick and injured people is the right choice. Eliminating diseases would be a very effective use of his time, but just going through hospitals helping sick and injured people? It doesn't seem very efficient. It might be more optimal to do things only he can, like use his item grinding to create incredibly useful goods or use his extraordinary energy generating capacity to provide free power.

It's hard to say without knowing more about the world and what he can do. Really, grinding is the best thing he can do now.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Law Cheetah posted:

I don't think anything is ever going to happen in this series. It's gonna be like, a metaphor for endless grinding

Remember the date issue. Stuff happened and it was excellent. I expect the pacing of this comic will be a lot like the pacing of an MMO. Long periods of grinding and minmaxing punctuated by brief, explosive, satisfying bursts of plot.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Tornhelm posted:

He'll have memorized the book but fail because he doesn't understand how to apply the principles behind the subject.

Haha if only. East Asian education is so absurdly memorization based that having perfect recall of a textbook would almost certainly be enough to ace an exam.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

His friend said he's still stronger than him, even with how overpowered his gaming abilities seem. And his friend is just a kid in the weird world. All the big players we've seen so far could probably beat Jun in a straight up fight. I do hope we see him get in a fight with someone who pushes him hard and makes him invent new abilities on the spot. It's been a while since that happened.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I do like that the the main character's reaction was the same as mine.

What.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Kyte posted:

That level of nationalism baffles me. Here in Chile our world maps are centered on the prime meridian as it should be.

Except the prime meridian runs through England because of nationalism. Well, nationalism and the fact that the British did definitive work to improve longitude calculation at sea.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Avulsion posted:

Slave runners? From the dialogue, I get the feeling that their business model involves skinning people and turning them into leather goods.

They're just artisans producing high quality hand made goods for a reasonable price.

In all seriousness, they're clearly very evil and it's good that Jee-Han is going to crush him. That doesn't mean it's not worrying that a high school boy is so remorselessly using violence. I like how this comic is handling his gamer mind skill as both useful and kind of frightening.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Desuwa posted:

Also he can quantify and compare their stats to his, so it's not the same as being a macho idiot and bringing a knife to a gun fight or something. He knows that, to them, he's almost invincible. He's furious but also rational because of the Gamer's mind, I bet he wouldn't be punching and kicking if they matched his level.

Examine continues to be the most mind bending and ridiculous ability he has.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

A Usagi Drop ending but with the core of the series being mediocre at best to begin with instead of really great and then being retroactively ruined

Japan. They do this poo poo all the time. It's not just anime either. I've seen completely normal, non-anime, non-otaku marketed literary fiction swerve into it. I assume it's Genji's fault, but I don't know for sure.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

That horse guy is the most hilariously goofy thing I've seen in a while. I hope his goofy rear end just goes around wrecking people.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Yeah, when I said horse guy, I meant the dude riding the horse.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I love that Berith's design continues to be supremely goofy.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Dr_Amazing posted:

I don't get what happened at all. Were they some sort of money destroying balls?

Capitalism Wreckers.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Maybe she's on vacation.

Jee-Han isn't an idiot. He's a good boss.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

How has he still not noticed the Charisma stat? Goddammit Je-Han.

Gnome is the best joyous little murder machine there is. Yes she is.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I want to see a stat block outside of the dungeon. Has charisma spread out and become a part of the normal world, or is it confined to the DLC?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I love that his teacher insists on getting a 50% cut as soon as she realizes how ridiculous his item drop power is.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Of course it's the class president.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I feel like this comic works because it's does a pretty good job of fusing its light hearted love comedy half and its hardcore sperglord power fantasy half. Both of halves are decently done, but the mix is really good.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

So, class president is getting the best faces ever. It blows my mind that there are people who not only don't like her, but are actually angry about her inclusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

I'm scared she's gonna become the Orihime to Jee-Han's Ichigo. :ohdear:

And sick girl was Rukia? I could see it happening, but it would be disappointing.