Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
For the Australian experience, I've been pretty stunned at being able to get all the Warmahordes stuff I wanted at 60% of RRP from online retailers. Compared to GW saying NOBODY CAN RETAIL TO AUSTRALIA EXCEPT US and all the prices being horrible. Yes GW please tell me how plastic 10 white lions are worth 40 dollars when I can get 10 metal satyxis for the same price.

10 White Lions will be about 6% of a 2000pt High Elf Army.
10 Satyxis will be about 16% of a 50pt Warmachine Army.

The sad irony is that I've bought way more than I need from PP for a single warmachine army because it doesn't feel like such a goddamn rip off. If GW wasn't trying so hard to charge as much as possible (33 dollars for 5 swordmasters using 65 pts of 2k) I'd buy so much more. I wanted to finish off my swordmaster unit, because I had 15 already, but just.. urgh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Gough Suppressant posted:

Who do you order online from for PP stuff? :ssh:

Miniature Market. Been really happy with them.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Archenteron posted:

There used to be a Rhul battlebox. Gorten, a Driller, and 3 Gunners. Wish it still existed (or the Farrow had a battlebox. Want to start playing, but I want to start with a fringe faction because why not show up to the usual steampunk punchbot lightnig army fight and instead throw down using dwarves and repurposed mining machines with huge fuckoff cannons, or crash the beast and soldier party with a rampaging horde of pigman barbarians, some of whom are frankensteined with weaponry from mad :science: and all led by their supreme pigman warlord Lord Carver, BMMD (Bringer of Most Massive Destruction), Esq. III :black101:)

Cryx sold me with Powerfist Zombies, I don't think there's anything more awesome than powerfist zombies. If I were ever to dabble in hordes I would definitely get murderous pigmans.

I really need to get back to painting my cryx. So much bare metal :(

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

S.J. posted:

This is what needs to happen! It would legitimately make the game and universe more interesting.

G. W. W. Martian?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

NTRabbit posted:

Squad broken

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Elves would be the worst historicals wargamers.

"Ugh no, that's not the color the Dúnedain were wearing at that point. There was a plague 3 years earlier which wiped out most of the supply of that dye so they switched to an alternative. I should know, I watched them fight that battle. I bet you've got Boromir showing up at the battle of Helm's Deep too. Go back to your tank battles scrublord."

*Goes back to shading Mithrandir exactly the correct shade of grey.*

Basically Elves are lazy immortal assholes. No surprise really given the issues immortality would create with entrenched wealth and power.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

petrol blue posted:

Pump my wagon

Players, as a team of snotlings, have to build a warmachine out of scrap parts, and battle it against others. Kinda like Robocraft, with added steampunk and GW's best IP.

A single player version as well where you take it into enormous conflicts along with real orc armies and go flying around smashing everything with reckless disregard while snotlings fall off, get crushed under the wheels or are otherwise destroyed not by any hostile action but by their own sheer incompetence and insanity.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
The God-King's Tzeench
Cassabolter
Black Crusade Down
A Few Good Ogryn

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Even if the fluff is bad, if the rules are good, who cares?

Play 40k, field Orks, Scream Waaaaaaaggghhh to your heart's content and use alternate rules.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

I would do that but I'm too busy with this loving requirements document.

You know. The one I'm definitely, definitely not writing, called Tabletop Fantasy Armies Wargame Requirements.odt that isn't on my desktop, because I most definitely have not been waking up at 6 AM thinking about how I'd make a fantasy tabletop wargame that would use the minis I already own and that I would want to play and that would not be a deeply flawed etc. etc. etc.

I am not doing this. :argh:

RIP Leperflesh consumed in a swirling vortex of madness.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

zzz

what would the lizardman equivalent of a field marshall rank be?

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Lord of the Marsh
or 'marshlord'
or mr. marshall to his class.

Martial marsh marshall Marshall Marshall marshaled the martial marsh marshalls to march in March.

He was only promoted to martial marshall because his dad Marshall Marshall snr. was a Battle Toad.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Night10194 posted:

No, they need a stage manager and then a bunch of cultists with shittier weapons as their opener/cover band.

A fat human roadie smoking and carrying a huge speaker and mixing board.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
This thread is worse than GW.

It's hard to make GW look good, but here we are.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Moola posted:

this thread can be pretty bad

but its STILL better than the real 40k thread and GW

your wrong

I'm willing to accept that.

Unlike GW.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I used to be a high elf player. When High Elves received ASF it broke me and I left GW. It reeked of lazy low effort buffing, it was unfun to play with, unfun to play against and finally poisoned the warhammer chalice enough for me to try Warmachine and Malifaux instead.

I don't play Malifaux any more (I didn't get into the second edition and lost track) but I still play Warmachine and have an ever expanding collection of undead cyborgs.

gently caress ASF.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

Don't be the frog. Be the scorpion. You're both going down, but at least it's the other guy who is the chump.

This pretty much the GW Corporate policy.

The parable of the Bloodthirster and the Whale.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Shareholders are otiose in a niche market.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
For a company that says to ignore how bad their rules are because they are all about making models.

How the gently caress can they be so loving bad at making models?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

S.J. posted:

It looks like something out of a 50's sci-fi comic - it's cheesy as gently caress and looks like it was done intentionally to me. Something that would be taken seriously in-universe but obviously not from our perspective.

The problem is that it doesn't reference a 50's sci fi comic, it's literally a design from a 50's sci fi comic. If you're going to be cheesy and satirical you need to reference bad aspects without being just bad.

It's like if you were making a drink today and you wanted to reference the 1920's you might make "Radioactive Health Tonic!" Make a bottle with all these silly things claiming the healthful benefits of radiation that we know now are wrong and were taken seriously then. That's a tongue in cheek reference to an old thing that was thought to be good at the time but is now recognised as bad. What you would then do is fill that drink with something that isn't terrible like juice or soda or whatever. You'd reference the idea but replace the bad substance with something that was better.

This model is GW filling the "Authentic Radioactive Water Health Tonic" bottle with actual radioactive water.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

boom boom boom posted:

That's not a Baneblade.

This is a Baneblade

I don't really like the tank with arms aesthetic but my god is that thing the hotness in its tank form.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

S.J. posted:

Which one is it a copy of, out of curiosity? It's not like I've got an encyclopedia of that poo poo in my head. And what aspects of the model in particular do you think are bad?

This was my instant thought, however there is a big difference in the chunkiness of the arms and legs.

The problems I have with it are the large flat oval plates, the narrowness of the joints relative to the size of the things they are attached to and the fact that it looks goofy as gently caress. It's not a model I would want to buy, or want to paint, or want to display. It looks like someone bought a bargain bin toy store model and put a great paint job on it.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Going into battle in a gstring and thigh high boots, better put some bandaids over my nipples. Don't want to feel naked.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I'm really tired of X-Wings all being modeled with their S-Foils locked in attack position. Why such an exploitative design choice? X-Wing's S-Foils are often retracted in real life and I don't see why we have to portray them as attacking all the time.

Also the armor plating on the Victory Class destroyer is revealing as gently caress and I'm embarrassed to put it on the table.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

frajaq posted:

I'm sorry but I cant see the difference, can you explain it in more detail?

No cape on the top one.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Spiderdrake posted:

I'm choosing to parse that skull with writing on it as connected, thereby the most metal platforms for her shoes ever invented.

Sacrifices must be made to rock that hard.

I'd guess the shoes have projectors built into them along with mini flamethrowers so that no matter what she stands on, the shoe is surrounded by writing and spitting flames. Which is 80's metal as gently caress.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Kai Tave posted:

It completely blew my mind when Stephen Lea Sheppard was telling everybody about the Exalted artist that puts heart panties on everything and how, when they were told to knock it off, kept doing it anyway. A bunch of people in the thread, myself included, pointed out that this was essentially a commissioned artist failing to provide what the client wanted, in other words a paid employee telling the person paying them "I'm not gonna listen to you and just do my own thing," and that maybe they should, y'know, find an artist who could actually take direction.

His response? "Well you know artists. What can you do?" It was the dumbest loving thing, this guy saying that artists are all special snowflakes and you just have to tolerate their "foibles" because I guess actual art direction is just too hard or something. And Exalted, as much fun gets made of it, isn't some obscure little indie game toiling in obscurity, by elfgame standards it was (at least at one point) kind of a big deal. And the people at the wheel can't be bothered to put their foot down about telling their paid professional artists, not just some schlub from Deviantart they conned into doing free pictures for them, to stop putting panty shots on every drat thing. Just unbelievable.

I know that when deadlines are looming the engineering company I work for has to accept my designs even when they tell me to stop bolting giant metal titties onto the front of literally everything. You know engineers though. :shrug:

EDIT: I am now really tempted to make everything I design look like it fell off an Ork Stompa.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Umh excuse me, but I'm pretty sure the plural of Jedi is Jedi. :goonsay:

No it's just that the singular of Jedi is Jed.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Attestant posted:

Sometimes GW doesn't actually provide all the required bits for all the possible upgrades either. While this might have changed, Tyranid sprues used to be really bad with heads last time I bought them. For example, if you want to make 8 Ymgarl genestealers with tentacle faces? Tough poo poo, the sprue only has one head like that. Have fun with wysiwyg requirements.

Are Ymgarl genestealers mechanically different to normal ones? Was there any other way to get those heads? Because holy poo poo that seems unforgivably terrible.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Games Workshop: Even in death I still serve notice.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JcDent posted:

It really depends on luck, I'd say. I haven't played that much, so I can't draw an average, but say,

from the two magic players I know best

One is the most upstanding turn the other cheek heart of gold perfect boyfriend/friend/host Christian all other Christians aspire to be

and the other is the worst weeaboo/Jew/fat permavirgin stereotype you've ever seen.

Haven't played anyone besides my girlfriend back home yet, so I can't say much about the scene here, but the only FoW player I know is a great champion of feminism and LGBT.

Something something :godwin:?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JcDent posted:

I said stereotypes. Well, stereotype. He's greedy as all gently caress. But it pales in comparison to, well, most everything else about him. The one admirable and enviable quality about him is that he's really outgoing? Or, as in going to places with people like parties and such? The end results of that are questionable, but it makes jealous.

So maybe "worst greedy/weeaboo/fat permavirgin stereotype you've ever seen." is the way you would put it to leave race/religion out of it.

Weeaboo is insulting to my Weealigion though.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Business Gorillas posted:

i swear to god that this dude i know is a walking chinese stereotype

when i say "chinese stereotype", i'm actually referring to how little he cares for tibetan culture

Here I was thinking he wasn't allowed to access social media.

EDIT: and had his google search results filtered.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

boom boom boom posted:

Right, so the Empire wasn't bad, it was just the leadership of the Empire. When we think of the Empire, we dwell too often on the crimes committed by the leadership. We never think of the noble Wehrmacht Tie fighter pilots british soldiers.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

lilljonas posted:

Leia lied, Alderaan died

Loose chips bring Siths!

Minderase your droids regularly.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

kingcom posted:

They wasted all that goddamn space to mount a goddamn turbolaser on it and its generator can only fire it for < 0.1 of a second. How the hell is that supposed to punch through cousin Omar's shield generator?

Why would you ever invest in that thing when you could just slap an Ion cannon on the back of Omar's YT1300 at like 1/3 of the price. Plus it can actually fly from place to place without catching on space fire.

Also solar radiation makes it stop working, so you can only fly in the shadow of a planet.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
The Little Abhuman
Purity and the Xeno
The Emperors new geneseed
The Hiver of Spire Dame
Burned

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Thanks Palpatine.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Ashcans posted:

Oh wow, thanks for this. I know about coat d'arms, it has just been a bitch to get a hold of in the US. There used to be I think one dealer in the country that was on the west coast with a remarkably bad website? This is much better.

Still clinging to the last dregs of my Elf Grey.

Me too 90's citadel paints survivor. That elf grey pot has painted many a miniature slightly bluish off white.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Holy gently caress this is 1400 Aussie funbux.

Thanks for the 200 USD markup due to me living in Aus GW.

I can buy the equivalent in models (1 colossal, 1 huge, 4 heavies, 3 lights, 6 cav, 4 units, 2 solos, warcaster) for warmachine for like 750 Aud.

gently caress you GW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

ExtraCheese posted:

The warmachine value for money is a bit disingenuous, the starter boxes are decently priced but it's still by no means cheap. Buying two 50pt lists can run up a reasonable bill, that being said I have no idea how much a competitive 40k army costs these days or what's competitive.

I was only talking about the equivalent in models not in force construction. People talk about the whole 2x50pts thing.

Have a play around on discount games inc's tournament page which lets you buy tournament lists as a whole. 500-600 dollars buys you 2x50 pt lists even when there is no crossover between them. I'm not saying warmachine is super cheap. But both on a per model and on a per army basis it is a hell of a lot cheaper than Warhammer.

How many points is one of those 600 dollar Skitarri Bundles?

• Locked thread