Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Sydney Bottocks posted:

By contrast, if someone unfamiliar with the hobby sees a sign that says "Warhammer" they're either going to think it's something to do with medieval armor and weapons, or else maybe some kind of dodgy BDSM club. :v:

Honestly, since that's all Europe is anyway, I'd be concerned that people would just walk on by saying "I'd much rather go to my locale smithërye for my warhammer needs."

Though I'm glad to see they're finally willing to conform to Britain's strict "Joylessness" laws regarding the display of frivolous colors in public. It's a short march from yellow, red, and blue to decadence and anarchy. Ever since they changed from John Blanche doing box art to the Dark Vengeance grey on grey in last edition. I was really hoping that they'd take the final step and just stop selling anything except grey primer and black wash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Wait Battle of the Five Armies, the Warmaster style game? Are they reprinting that?

http://www.aresgames.eu/games/war-of-the-ring-line/the-battle-of-five-armies

I don't know if it's a reprint or what. I'm stoked for it, though.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
I just said no to time travel.

Winners didn't do time travel.

Aging is a gateway to time travel.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Hra Mormo posted:

It's a dog. You'd have to be made of vacuum cleaners for it to dislike you.

GW hates dogs.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

BeigeJacket posted:

I'm not a PP/ Wyrd guy, so someone explain to me how these Outrider program's work. A local nerd signs up, runs demo games, etc and what, they comp him a bunch of free poo poo or something?

In practice it means there's a guy around at the club ready to play pickup games, be friendly, and chat a bit with regulars all the time. The ones I've met are nice guys and they come across like people who are into the hobby and are willing to fund it by being social. I never got a chance to play a game with any of them, but the worst I'd say is, occasionally, they come off a little like a politician--swooping in, doing this big 'hey dude, oh cool you're a new Skorne player? Sweet!' and then wandering off to do the same to some other people.

But they're head and shoulders better than the one man hobby closet attendants I've talked to.

There's some kind of audition process, I think, because I haven't seen any of the standard creepers you see with MTG or other hobby scenes.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Also, I just want to point out that topless khador has a fluff reason for existing as counterpoint to pantsless legion of everblight. Both are a vital part of keeping the lore fleshed out.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Hipster Occultist posted:

I met a traveller from an English land
Who said: "Two vast and trunkless legs of resin
Stand in the boardroom. Near them on the shag carpet,
Half sunk, a jewel-like object of wonder lies, whose frown
And wrinkled lip and sneer of tone deafness
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless miniatures,
The annual report that mocked them and the heart that fed.
And on the pedestal these words appear:
`My name is Jack Kirby, CEO of CEO's:
Look on my inflated prices, ye warhams, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of Nottingham Headquarters, boundless and bare,
The lone and level grasses stretch far away".

?

gently caress yes, open the flood gates; I love you, man.

It little profits that an idle kirby,
By this still store, among these barren shelves,
Match'd with an aged product, I mete and dole
Unequal laws unto a customer,
That hoard, and sleep, and feed, and know not me.
I cannot rest from travel: I will drink
Their capital: All times I have enjoy'd
Greatly, have suffer'd greatly, both with those
That loved me, and alone, in store, and when
Thro' scudding drifts the nottingham headquarters
Vext the dim fans: I am become a name;
For always roaming with a hungry heart
Much have I seen and known; internet sales
And mark ups, finecast, forgeworld, one man shops,
Myself not least, but inventing them all;
And drunk delight of battle with my peers,
Far on the ringing plains of Australia.
I am a part of all that I have met;
Yet all experience is an arch wherethro'
Gleams that untravell'd world whose margin fades
For ever and forever when I move.
How dull it is to pause, to make an end,
To rust unburnish'd, not to shine in use!
As tho' to breathe were life! Life piled on life
Were all too little, and of one to me
Little remains: but every hour is saved
From that eternal silence, something more,
A bringer of new things; and vile it were
For some three suns to store and hoard myself,
And this gray spirit yearning in desire
To follow knowledge like a sinking star,
Beyond the utmost bound of human thought.

This is my son, mine own Kevin Rountree,
To whom I leave the workshop and the isle,—
Well-loved of me, discerning to fulfil
This labour, by slow prudence to make mild
A tough industry, and thro' soft degrees
Subdue it to the useful and the good.
Most blameless is he, centred in the sphere
Of common duties, decent not to fail
In offices of tenderness, and pay
Meet an adoring board of directors,
When I am gone. He works his work, I mine.

There lies the port; the vessel puffs her sail:
There gloom the dark, broad seas. My mariners,
Souls that have toil'd, and wrought, and thought with me—
That ever with a frolic welcome took
The thunder and the sunshine, and opposed
Free hearts, free foreheads—you and I are old;
Old age hath yet his honour and his toil;
Death closes all: but something ere the end,
Some work of noble note, may yet be done,
Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
The lights begin to twinkle from the rocks:
The long day wanes: the slow moon climbs: the deep
Moans round with many voices. Come, my friends,
'T is not too late to seek a newer world.
Push off, and sitting well in order smite
The sounding furrows; for my purpose holds
To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths
Of all the western stars, until I die.
It may be that the gulfs will wash us down:
It may be we shall touch the Happy Isles,
And see great Andy Chambers, whom we knew.
Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho'
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved product and stock, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

I'm betting nobody gives a poo poo, but I maintained the meter.

TheCosmicMuffet fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 14, 2014

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Galaga Galaxian posted:

To be fair, Hugo Boss could design so nice looking uniforms. Too bad they were for assholes and literal Hitlers

GW Death pool thread: Hitler was literally Hitler.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
You guys are all missing the point of the GW specialty games failure and lack of vision.

They solved this poo poo, it was called Gorka Morka (and to an extent SpaceHulk).

What is the Dark Vengeance box?
-A great deal on some great models
-A game unto itself
-A hook for someone to buy into WH40k
-A testbed for awesome new plastics
-Part of the 'It's all new!' bullshit rules revision cycle

Gorkamorka was the closest thing to doing their insane release cycle right that they ever attempted.

Fact: Orks are a 40k thing.
Fact: It is hard to get players stiff for Orks over and over again, when basically, they are always just green assholes carrying scrap metal and wearing garbage.
Fact: Gorka Morka cost nothing from the point of view of 'distracting' their resources, because all that poo poo was perfectly suitable for 40k, AND it reinforced the Orkswell in the fluffiston that was occurring *anyway*, was a set of rules unto itself that could enrich your normal 40k (what was to stop you from having chaos rhinos fight a highway battle with your orks? Answer: NOTHING YOU FUCKS)

On the side you even got a bunch of goblin stuff that could potentially let you make a gretchin army (or just make your gretchin more interesting), as well as some weird mutants on horseback that could be great traitor guard cavalry or whatever. Or fantasy for that matter.

That's how they should be doing every one of their retarded 'new release' festivals.

Necromunda; weird gang game about an esoteric element of the fluff. What could it have been?

Dark Eldar Slave raiders vs Imperial guard irregulars!
Witness! Struggle in the underhive to defend the Imperium with the dregs of society. Pit your hard bitten platoon of penal legionaire, ex gang members, and local police militarized by the commissar to fend of Xenos scum.

Expansion; Chaos and genestealer cults seek to hollow out the Imperium like a festive gord in grotesque intergalactic halloween. Bring your Religious zealots from your Sister's army (I totally forget what you call their adjunct crazy rear end in a top hat squads) in to play against mutant cells.

And then what happens? Well you release more sisters, Imperial guard, tyranid, chaos, and so forth poo poo under the umbrella of this alleged 'product' which is actually a
-Set of interesting expansion rules for 40k
-An umbrella for a 40k campaign which could include both smaller battles and bigger standard type fights
-A way to release poo poo across different armies in a way that makes sense, instead of people having to wait their turn for their poo poo to get updated

What's mordheim? A cool way to release new figures for all the armies. Build your general and his retinue in a mordheim campaign, then buy a fuckton of skeletons, and take his show on the road.

Even BSG! BSG is nothing if not a venu for an off-map side show game that replaces the magic phase.

What if you had to fly your ships around and run a blockade in order to get your troops to deepstrike on the table? What if the number of valkyries shot down by your enemy changes how many strafing runs they can do and on what turn they show up? You have to calibrate the rules so you can play BSG in 2'x2', but that's not impossible, by any means.

Epic is travel-40k! Encourage people to buy enough 40k 28mm to play epic games on giant tables as part of what we *now* call apocalypse!

Space hulk is a great way to have Blood Angels and Tyranids share a release!

GW has the answer on how to fix their loving weird release cycle issues right in front of them, and before any of you start asking questions like 'if you're so smart, how come nobody else has done this yet, smarty pants who thinks he's so smart?'--they HAVE.

Privateer Press releases waves of updates across all their factions under the heading of a single book of fluff that advances the story. The only shortcoming there is that there tend not to be much of a rules add-on or alternate game modes (they usually just introduce a new size class of robots and monsters). In a way GW has a one up on them, because they have experience making a more interesting presentation for their new mini lines.

This is why I hate GW so much now, really. Not only is it pulling teeth to get them to do things like rerelease the space hulk minis (or sell them independently), they learn *nothing* from the effort they've put into different products, and they don't mix and match or cross breed new strains of game out of any of it.

They ahve all this new air and giant robot poo poo. Where is the cool stuff they did with those ideas in BSG and Epic? They could have released those systems, included info about how to play at the 28mm scale, and used model releases for both products to reinforce each other. They could have included a play method where you get together with 5 local shop people to play an 'epic' game with 40k minis across extra tables, as a faster way to get through an apocalypse-sized scenario.

gently caress these guys. Are they bankrupt yet?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Bucnasti posted:

"If you want to make a small fortune in RPGs... Start with a large fortune."
--Some guy from WotC

Seriously if your goal is to make money, RPGs are not the way to do it, the market is tiny and the margins are small. Just to make a living you need to work way harder than you would in just about any other industry.

For me, making RPGs is a hobby that (mostly) pays for itself.

For whatever reason, there's not a lot of margin in telling people how to make up whatever they want.

I always found the idea of RPG game design to be kind of laughable. You design a mini's game. Then you write a series of novels. If someone wants to roleplay in that world, they have everything they need from those two...

OH poo poo GW MINDRAYS GOT ME YOU GUYS

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

petrol blue posted:

You mean d&d 4e? :cheeky:

Or first. Or the original Rogue Trader. Or Chainmail.

Gygax was a wargamer. Arneson was the hippy guy with the theater of the mind stuff.

Anyway, I didn't mean to distract, I just thought the conversation took a funny turn. I still hate GW you guys. They're dumb and make bad decisions.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

fugly posted:

It's still in beta.

Is this a commentary on our perpetual beta release cycle or are you serious? Because the full campaign was released a couple weeks ago. My impression is that it's now just a matter of DLC expansion, not hammering out the basics.

It's got problems, but it's miles ahead of every GW game release with the exception of their Blood Bowl game, which, if I remember correctly started as a rogue imitator project that later, as part of an out of court settlement became a GW official thing.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Well. GW's games are every fantasy trope in a bucket, and every scifi *and* fantasy trope in a bucket. So it was only a matter of time before they realized George RR Martin was a thing and contrived a way to kill half their uninspiring characters.

Coming soon to 41+k; the Horse Krootraki. Lead by Tarnerium Dargellius, a former planetary governor lady. Who is immune to template weapons. And has 3 pet gargoyles. Or who knows, maybe just dragons. GW is not subtle.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

JerryLee posted:

Sell people new sprues? Please.

They'll put the sprue in a $50 box and sell you the box. :smug:

(I joke, but I'm pretty sure this was literally the remedy proposed to some goon by a GW employee when they asked if there was any GW-approved way to get a particular helmet bit. I think it was someone looking for a Fantasy head for a 40K model.)

And yeah, this. The new generic HQ models (Space Marine librarian etc.) aren't necessarily any more expensive dollar-wise than the special snowflakes. Though this might only be because they haven't done the price-hike pass on some of the special snowflakes yet.

ok, so. Number 1. Right off the bat.

It should be called Mary sprue in this context.

Second, and this is why I don't play DnD...

Your ability to forge a narrative sucks. I don't want to see it. 2 reasons.

Reason one: In a game where they already freely encourage you to make weird rear end conversions and stand ins, you're still somehow asking for permission to do that. I don't know why, if your imagination balks at the idea of breaking free even to that degree, you think you're going to do anything with it when given the opportunity, except ape something you think is cool. Or several things. That other people made. James T Lannister, from Star trek of Thrones.

Picture a chair made out of fused nacelles. Obviously, caused by fusion torpedo bombardment. But. By. Who?

forsooth.

Reason 2! In no particular order.
As a business they're in the business of offering you their kickass narrative. If they were really offering you what you wanted in some sense, you wouldn't have the urge to make your own characters or game. At this point, DnD is the Drizzt simulator. Fill in the blank with whoever.

The idea that GW should offer you more of a chance to inject your narrative is kind of crazy. Their product is all about that, and always has been. Your identity is your army. You own it as a group. Maybe as an abstract commander figure. You can put yourself on the board, and you can recruit these heroes just like when you play blood bowl and pick star players to put on your team. You're the coach, not the quarterback. Your quarterback is an rear end in a top hat who keeps rolling 1s and hasn't leveled up enough.

They're a tv show with tactics rules. If you wanted, you could check out at *any* time and go play WW2 mans 6 different ways with dirt cheap minis. Or any weird historical period of your choice. If you like Jayna Proudmoor or Sir Andrew Aguecheek, then you stick with that system. Soft, what light through yonder window breaks? It is the opponents board edge, and Juliet is in charge range.

God you guys are great. I like this thread so much more than the other TG threads.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
I want to point out that the last time I was probated from the 40k thread it was over a joke about greenish black being a product of oxidation. Of iron or copper.

In terms of thread/sa chat, I don't even understand how I'm supposed to be part of the same species.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Slimnoid posted:

They could've taken the time and made a brand-new Assault Marine kit and dimes for dollars people would've ate that up.

I think it's a plan to turn around this perception that they don't care about tournaments. This way anybody who plays BA can either grab the BA tac box, and be happy, or they can grab the standard tac box, paint them as BA, and *boom*, instant conversion points toward their army score at any GW sanctioned tournament. In fact, come to think of it, an ultra player could grab a BA tac box and make it work the other way!

Those kinds of exciting conversions in the tournament setting are part of what help get people excited about the hobby. It's win win. Or at any rate, you roll 2d6 and if it's less than 10, you win and get a chance to roll again and win a second time.

Heroes and beasts are immune.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Okay, yeah, there's probably just some fluff I'm forgetting from years past (or haven't seen in more recent years). That does sound pretty well in line with most depictions of BA that I've seen back in the day.

They're the Italian chapter. I'm not sure why they have vampires at all. The art part is just a reflection of trying to capture the post roman Italian dark ages as part of their general theme for building their chapters.

The ultras are french, the dark angels are the spanish, and I think the imperial fists were the eastern holy roman empire. The fluff was always pretty flaky in terms of nailing the feel for a chapter. Especially since they drew on a vast span of time from the fall of the roman empire, through the dark ages, up, in some cases, to near the Renaissance.

Their take on vampirism is really only represented in Mephiston, and he's (as far as I'm concerned my grognardian subterranean bunker) the odd man out. Drinking the blood of christ, as an aesthetic thing covers why they're so into cups and blood, in general. Since the Emperor is some kind of amalgamation of space jesus with ghengis khan. In fact, I'm fairly certain they meant for the Emperor to be the literal second coming, but who knows.

The BA's death company are suffering a religious fervor--visions of their christ (sanguinius) that drive them to unrestrained violence. The degenerate madness of the BAs is a call back to the strange behaviors of the cardinals and popes through the middle ages, and probably also is touching on some of the old Roman emperors, like Caligula or Nero.

The BA background has an interesting relationship to the DA background, through the Hapsburgs and the Inquisition. The DA are the spanish side of things, where, you note, all their armor is black, and they're constantly trying to ferret out chaos and witchcraft. The BAs, since they're Italian, represent that side of their background in the death company, but also have the beatific ideals that were a part of the catholic creed. For instance, one of the tests to determine if someone were a witch was if they were ugly--and keep in mind, witches only became primarily women sometime in the 1600s. The term 'warlock' is a modern day non sequitur.

So anyway. The art is there because the Italians are famous patrons of art, and have generated a huge number of great works, both for religious and secular reasons. But the late breaking idea that the marines are artists isn't part of the core of the fluff, I don't think. That's the RPG guys going nuts.

Which is kind of a shame and part of why I've lost interest in the black library et al. It's amazing how often a really cool horus heresy era story about a chapter will get eaten alive by dime-a-dozen fantasy and sci fi tropes applied by someone who basically doesn't give a poo poo.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Sydney Bottocks posted:

This makes a ton of sense, as I remember back in 3rd edition that the BA guys (both in the fluff and in stuff like WD batreps) had Italian names, the DA had Spanish-sounding names, the Ultramarines had either French or Roman-type names, etc. I think the Holy Roman Empire thing was shifted over more to the Black Templars once they became a thing, as they definitely had a lot of Germanic-sounding names for their characters.

I think they definitely coopted the position of the Imperial fists in the fluff. But the imp fists black fist on a yellow flag is a dead ringer for the HRE flag. The Templars, I'm pretty sure, are Prussia, which you can wiki and see has a black eagle on a white background as their thing (and in more modern times had various black and white flag designs). Prussia is a successor to the HRE, occupying the part that is now northern germany and poland. In the BT background, they're listed as a successor chapter to the Imperial Fists, and their leader is a captain "Sigismund" who, I think, is a reference to this guy:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Sigismund_of_Prussia_(1896%E2%80%931978)

I never realized any of this stuff until I started watching Paradox LPs :D. If you get into it, it's amazing how many states rose and fell in the same space and declared themselves roman successors or whatever. Part of what makes warhammer fluff so rich is that they had a bunch of historical wargamer buffs who pushed all kinds of obscure poo poo into the mix. I remember at one point they devoted a major release cycle of Fantasy to the various mercenary units employable from what amounted to the Warhammer equivalent of Venice and other Mediterranean renaissance trading states.

I remembered as a kid reading through the releases going 'who the hell are all these people?', because at the time I pretty much could only identify rome, britain, scandahoovia, and germany/eastern europe in the fantasy factions.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
It's purely a space thing. Japanese houses and apartments are small and the standard dining room table is similar to a square coffee table. It might be 4x4, but generally theyre a hair over 3x3. Japanese games are rarely sprawling and even their game consoles have traditionally had shorter controller cords.

They enjoy physical games and modeling quite a bit. They just prefer keeping it somewhat reigned in in terms of space. Im sure its one of the reasons the collectible card market was so big over there even before Mtg and Pokemon. And video games for that matter.

Hell even their comic book format was more compact.

Infinity, necromunda, and warmahordes stand a much better chance. Though their designed space and terrain requirements makes them a hassle in comparison to a nice compact board or card game.

Youd have to take the travelhammer idea with epic scale minis and formalize support for it.

And then youll be behind the quality curve.

Old guys over there did play with extremelt realistic and detailed 10-15mm tanksfor historical wargames. But japan being japan, i always found those guys incredibly creepy.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Even in the GW death thread, the kool aid is unbelievable.

FW looks good. In comparison to GW.

They still charge outrageous prices for poo poo that you have to paint yourself, bends, often arrives damaged or requiring some kind of loving around to get ready to paint, provide rules which are only slightly better than just writing your own based on 3rd edition stuff, and, most importantly, none of their poo poo is an actual toy. It's all non-functional overpriced chess pieces and vehicles designed to sit still.

I can buy this for 75$ US:
http://www.amazon.com/German-Leopard-Airsoft-Control-Version/dp/B000O3REMA
It not only moves, it shoots bbs.

for 60, I get this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002G8GG66/?tag=myrc-text2br/-20
It's *TWO* tanks, and they can fight and take damage and poo poo.

If I want to pay forgeworld prices, I not only get a model of a tank that looks as good as any nice grade historical replica (200$):
http://www.amazon.com/Russian-Ehkranami-Airsoft-Smoking-Upgrade/dp/B002SDJMRO
It also makes noise, produces smoke, shoots bbs, and has a fully realistic working suspension.

This one's $180, and it has headlights and a flash when it shoots...
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002C3DTFQ/?tag=myrc-text4-20

We already covered the gundam poo poo.

Look at this:
https://www.google.com/search?q=bes...496429&imgdii=_

Want a huge demon? Should you pay 90+$ for something that needs to be glued together and painted?
Or do you pay 30 for this:
http://www.actionfigurefury.com/neca-diablo-iii-deluxe-scale-action-figure/

You can get like 6 of these guys for 40 bucks:
http://www.monsterpocalypse.com/gallery/Lords%20of%20Cthul
Note. Painted and assembled!

Have you seen the Halo megablocks stuff?
https://www.google.com/search?q=28m...+bloks&imgdii=_

Ok yeah. Sure. Not the greatest detail ever. On the other hand--still look pretty great, fully poseable... talk about *conversion* possibilities. And painted. with decals. poo poo, I don't know, I bet there's even magnetized pieces.

Did you know that Mcfarlane makes 15mm (1/100) Halo poo poo? http://www.spawn.com/toys/product.aspx?product=4599
It comes painted and assembled. The vehicles, at least, could come right in and work in 40k.

This is a crocadile monster.
http://www.spawn.com/toys/product.aspx?product=3451

Oh, but I'm just not 'getting it'? These are collectible items for a niche audience, not toys for children?
Even idiot comic book dorks get that, when they pay 200$ for something, it ought to be assembled, articulated, and painted.
http://www.amazon.com/Hot-Toys-Movie-Figure-Snapper/dp/B00CI2L4EY

Harrumph, sirs!

I'm thinking of starting a preheresy chapter... do you think world eaters or emp's children is a better choice?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Exinos posted:

Crane Violating Gundam is one of the more timid entries from the Perfect Grade Ultra-Fetish line of plastic Gundam kits.

Bandai is so disappointing--their models are undeniably amazing, but the talent is wasted on sexually deviant subject matter, such as the refueling cruiser with like 12 nacelles, and a bunch of naked exoskeletons standing around it.

It's disgusting and I'm such a good person for pointing out how disgusting I find it.

Everyone else agree with me about how it's disgusting or I'll accuse you of wanting to see a Zeon colony drop diorama. Sickos.

(Please note, the above satire is loosely based on goony conversations from several TG modeling threads. Any resemblance to opinions real or imagined is purely coincidental.)

Luebbi posted:

As mentioned, the whole comparisons to Gundam irk me a little bit because having unpainted, unarticulated manz is basically the industry standard for the hobby, and something GW ain't all that bad at (in comparison to other tabletop companies).

JerryLee posted:

Reaper Bones seems to have the 'preassembled and ready to go' thing together, at least for all but the largest models. They may be a featureless white but I don't know that this is a problem by itself. I mean, there are plenty of adventure boardgames where your elf or whatever is a solid color of plastic, aren't there? And plenty of people do play WMH or whatever without ever actually painting their poo poo. I don't know that the cultural bias against armies that haven't been properly painted is ever going to go away, but it shouldn't need to.

I think this is where I come from, at least, with the talk of preassembled, painted, and so forth. Leave aside the comments about how Bandai Gundam give you a much higher starting point for customizing, painting, and modeling and just take as written that it's static models, and that's ok;

Reaper has a fraction of the business, and has leapt ahead in terms of what they can deliver at a price point. Mantic is the only other company close. I highlighted all the stuff that I *could* get for 200 bucks in part to demonstrate that I could get something fundamentally more fun for me or a kid. Or my inner kid. Or an adult, honestly. And, simultaneously, to point out that there's a tremendous amount of technology that's coming to bear even on the humble toy or collector's item, that mean that they don't just get to stamp out bullshit and charge for it like it's intrinsically valuable.

If they were *just* selling the notion that their stuff was artistically valuable, and, well, if you like space marines with catholic symbols and chainsaw swords, you have to come to them for it, that'd be one thing. But they're not. They're selling that but it's represented as 'buy 40 of these things' 'and a tank that looks like a dumpster' 'and a bike that's an afterthought which resembles lego if lego were partly manufactured with reused parts from other GW model kits'.

As I ranted somewhat earlier in the thread, the gigantic, insane fantasy units come closest to being justifiable in my mind. 1 vampire ghost throne is more or less ok in my mind. As soon as you get into the zone where you have to buy 3 lovely semi-futuristic replicas of a WW1 tank, or one of 12 variants on a chimera that make use of 3/4s identical sprues, then they're actively working to devalue their own art.

Like. Kids aren't dumb. They can see that it's just a box with 2 tread parts, and then you put a few different turrets on top, and that's your tank. They also get that, in terms of mostly identical plastic boxes, you can papercraft, cardboard, or Revell/Monogram yourself a squadron instead.

When I was 12, I grabbed a box of space-zombies from some alternative line, and broke up a single space marine worth of arms, legs, pauldrons, and weapons among something like 8 of them, and ended up making several squads of nurgle marines that nobody I played could identify as being out of range until I mentioned it.

That's the value of their artistic branding, when they dilute it by pushing to make it a volume product. Especially now that 3d makes the cost creating new sculpts a couple orders of magnitude cheaper than when you had to sculpt a master and reduce it.

I sense that I've wall of texted.

TheCosmicMuffet fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 6, 2015

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Peztopiary posted:

Also PP does a really good job of making the models useful in the roleplaying game, whereas GW doesn't. Want a few necron warriors? Ahahaha gently caress you buy a box. Basically every thing that has a stat in a PP book has a model. Three quarters of the weapons you can get in the 40k roleplaying games simply don't exist as bitz, when their is no reason not to offer them.

This is less of a problem than it appears, since 5 years ago it was 20 warriors in a box for whatever, and now it's 10 per box for 30% more.

If you just wait long enough, your criticism will be irrelevant, because they'll be selling them as duos in blisters like the old days, only with a 600% markup.

AND WHERE IS YOUR UNREASONABLE PACKAGING THEN?! NOWHERE I AM THINK.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
The upshot to this is that Angry Marines can be canon within the context of pocket dimensions. And you can field a folded chair squad of assault marines against Skaven.

Battlebarge Maximum gently caress incoming.

Oh, hey, I wonder if they'll do another new formation like the Brettonians have, where it's shaped like a fist with the middle finger extended.

It'd be hard to charge from the side.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

JerryLee posted:

Literally Planescape Skirmishes is a game I would play the heck out of but that's me as a preexisting Planescape aficionado, so no claims about whether you could get the young whippersnappers of today excited about that.

If you really mean this and like 4x fantasy games, there's http://www.warlock2.com/ , which is about building an empire and then marching through dimensional gates to conquer various other planes. Or shards. Or whatever.

The content is pretty classic, which might work in its favor for you if you like the idea of planescape as a background for dnd, or against it, if you like planescape because it had a lot of very creative and weird stuff.

Chill la Chill posted:

After setting up your armies, roll a die. On a 4+ your respective planes don't collide and the battle doesn't happen. Purchase a special planar die that gives you 4/6 chances!

New GW tables are built to create the perfect wargaming experience. In order to play, please purchase all the required table leaf extensions to simulate overlapping planes, with the appropriate terrain for the 2 conflicting board types rolled on the plane collision chart. If you can't afford all the necessary leaves; don't worry! your opponent can bring his own side of the table to field his army. Note; armies without a table to set up on, are deemed to be forever lost in the warp, and you must destroy the models using an official GW warhammer in front of a store employee.

TheCosmicMuffet fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jan 7, 2015

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Business Gorillas posted:

I don't think the Fantasy thread is gonna have the meltdown you guys want since there's only like 10 of us that post in it and it looks like at least 3 of us are quitting :shrug:

As you lose rank bonus, you're more likely to break.

Then we pursue. :colbert:

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
MAAAANTIC

Also; gently caress that guy.

If I hear him harp on about primer showing one more loving time, I swear to god. I SWEAR.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Sydney Bottocks posted:

:stare:

Also, for a second I misread that, and thought that you'd said the guy did Chaos Dwarf porn, which would have gone from :stare: to :stonk: had I not given it a re-read.

*bing bong*

[Chaos dwarf answers door]
[Llamasu with pizza box is there]
Llamasu: Did somebody order a pizza?
Chaos Dwarf: My hat is pretty big.
[Llamasu mounts chaos dwarf and breathes fire as it comes lava into his bowels]

... it's a hardcore setting, I don't know what to say.

ANYWHO

That explains that guys disposable income, at least.

GWs next CEO penned stockholders statement should mention the precious jewels are mostly targeted towards ex sex workers.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

NTRabbit posted:

Straight male pornstars get paid very little

Sure. They make ends meet by getting fluffed and doing a gay scene. It requires a lot of dedication. According to the latest research, for whatever reason, men are less flexible with their sexual behavior than women. I can recommend Sex at Dawn.

Now, I realize, this *looks* like an off topic sidetrack, and a controversial one, at that, but I think that being given *just* enough head to gently caress a guy for a few minutes on camera is expressing, in some sense, the quinessence of the GW customer experience.

Look, I don't know *why* I think the things I think, but maybe someday, I'll be like Copernicus; heralded as the man who first understood, exactly why GW's business model doesn't work, but continues to persist.

Guys, what if the GW death thread is crying wolf and we're all just acting as promoters :( ?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Concatenation posted:

Is there a link to this? Sounds hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_06d7wMO4Cw

Less exciting than it sounds. The guy is basically annoyed because they charged him for a basecoating and airbrushing pass when the technical description implied more detail work.

In the abstract the army looks fine from a distance. Up close, there's features on the models that weren't painted. If you were doing it yourself, you'd probably think it was fine. After sending it away and paying extra, being annoyed seems reasonable. Then he sends it somewhere else. It works out ok.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Siege Worms killing hovertanks in Civ BE!

When did this become a civ/warmahordes thread?

I'm looking for a Retribution of Scyrah list that would be good against a coastal start with no river and Montezuma's my neighbor. I'm trying to go Liberty as my opener, that is, if GW doesn't phase it out.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Ignite Memories posted:

Hold the loving phone and tell me some more about seige worms. That is some atreides-grade poo poo.

Prepare to be disappointed! Not because they aren't cool, but because everything else about the game is a weird step backwards in terms of Civ design.

Also, you usually get a quest early in the game to kill one, and the most effective way to make that happen is hope one wanders by a city for ~10 turns so it can be bombarded to death.

You can research up an affinity that's called 'harmony', which eventually unlocks the ability to use spies to sic siege worms on enemy cities. But they'll generally just pillage a couple improvements and then wander around being impotent.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Panzeh posted:

Brettonians are an interesting divergence from the Empire's renaissance era armies. Unfortunately the Empire really doesn't feel at all like a renaissance era army so they kind of mush together. Heavy cavalry isn't very good in WHFB. I think they're different enough to make sense, though I do kinda prefer an all-encompassing KoW Kingdoms of Man where you can run pretty much anything you want(it's still difficult to do a pike and shot army in KoW though).

They made a few cool models, and they had a unique rank up pattern which probably should have generalized more. For instance, I would have liked to see a moon-shaped skaven pack that could potentially flank it's own charge target with detached skirmishers if it lined up right.

But that's not the point.

The point is a lot of you seem to be missing a perfectly good opportunity to make fun of silly english persons who's mother was a donkey and smelt of elderberries.

Chercher la vache.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
What you needed to do was house rule fanatic maidens in your horse wedges who'd pop out, move 2d6 inches in a random direction, and then conduct a full magic phase at random nearby targets, before accidentally choking on their own wands.

Then Brettonnians might still be out there. Knighting around.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Space fleet games are both the cheapest to get into (most being totally easy to make on your own), and the most expensive if you want a specific set of ships.

http://shop.spartangames.co.uk/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1976

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

HiveCommander posted:

I can't imagine any company saying no to more of that.

At one point it was very explicitly a policy of GW to minimize their video game licenses, and to specifically only license games which were only vaguely related to their IP because they believed that it would give people a reason to stop playing the table top game and buying miniatures; after all they could just play the games, then!

It wasn't even a conspiracy theory; the old bald editor of WD from the late 90s said so in as many words in reply to a letter to the editor asking about why there wasn't a video game version of wh40k..

To this day, they've gone out of their way to avoid a direct translation, though they at least decided that RTS didn't qualify as a direct overlap, thank god. Relic's games are great.

They did finally let blood bowl get translated. But the reason to allow it was
- a company started making a blood bowl knock off, which should have been fine, but lawyers can shut down a small company regardless of the merits of the case (that said, hey, to avoid a trial, give us a deal, 'admit' you were infringing, and we'll translate it into a partnership (which is weirdly intelligent and totally out of character))
- GW doesn't really care about blood bowl because the team sizes were always sharply capped and there's no monsters/accessories
- They also shut down all their side line stuff, so who gives a poo poo.

Then, riding high on lessons learned from blood bowls crazy success (I swear I bought the stupid poo poo at least twice, because I wanted more teams), they finally took a crack at another classic translation, this time to the tablet games format!

Talisman.

SAD loving CLOWN FACE

So. They can't find a clue with both hands and the light of the astronomicon.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

NTRabbit posted:

It's my line of work as well, when I have work

I post in them, when I'm not here, posting.

Also, I'm sick and tired of this gimmick failthread of try-hards and twerkvines who want to hate GW, but keep coming up with positive things to say about their storied past, irreplaceable IP, or amazing new balls.

I remember a company made to rip off every famous fantasy and scifi thing all at once in a mishmosh with no giveashit for how it hung together! I remember a company that made rules revolving around a madman's graph of d6 rolls over time and never changed any rule that mattered in 15 editions and 6 supplemental releases. I remember a company who refused to make things people wanted, and attack anyone who tried in their stead, if they thought they could get away with it.

I remember a company rag that marketed to children but portrayed skills and techniques that no child could master while pushing tools, paints, and accessories branded by the company with an exorbitant markup.

I remember a Gamesworkshop with no black or women space marines! I remember them characterizing all halflings as cooks, and all rats as warpstone addicts!

I remember a games work shop that has made me subtract BS from 7, then compare S to T, roll to wound, and then roll any armor saves, finally removing models for 30 years, and I, for one can't take it anymore!!!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

JerryLee posted:

serious gaylord seems to have sort of a Dr. Jekyll thing going on where he'll be perfectly willing to frame GW's internal business decisions (that he heard through the grapevine) as bad, say that things aren't going well, etc. when he's leading the discussion. He'll say 'holy poo poo I can't believe they're actually doing this' and tell us something about his understanding of the situation from his contacts. Those are some genuinely interesting posts. But the moment someone else dares to criticize GW, he feels the need to ride to the rescue. It's like he really does understand on one level that the company is horribly sick and rotting, but goddamn it it's still his company (so to speak) and if anyone's going to criticize them it's going to be him.

In his defense, he seems pretty awesome at applying a thin veneer to something that makes it seem amazing:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3210214&userid=124523&perpage=40&pagenumber=16#post433917359

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
The purpose of Kobayashi Maru posts is to experience the no win scenario in the context of GW. It is a test designed to make you experience fear.

I for one don't believe in the no win scenario.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
I think he has a hookup, but I don't think he's employed by them.

In any case, it wouldn't matter. Where you choose to work still says something about you. For instance, the NAZIS
satire

Anywho, is GW making mistakes? These days the kids will kickstart their own conventions on the twitter. All that matters is the retail chain, and soon that will be gone too. Mark my words, the future's booming and bright for GW! As long as they supply, the public will demand! It's curtains for pretendas, see? Curtains I tells ya! The culture is strong! The boss is going gangbusters on this next venture. You keep your shirt on, your nose clean, your chin up, play your cards right, and don't sweat the details. You'll be plenty busy with your thalamus if you listen to what I tells ya.

Kiddo, you've got gusto. It's lugubrious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Leperflesh posted:

, I played (red-box basic) D&D, and then AD&D, and jumping headfirst into the Warhammer IP was a natural progression for me.

There was nothing natural about it. This is how they got us all. Here at this tender age, with our munchkinism and roll-playing. They knew our weaknesses and exploited them like a favorable warlord roll! Those bastards! I had no defenses against city-sized cathedral robots burning demons with plasma!

petrol blue posted:

It's private schools that we call public. :ssh:

You hosed us the way you hosed the Indians and the Chinese. If we hadn't bailed you out, the Germans would be running Gamesworkshop right now and their models are reasonably priced, and their board game mechanics are balanced and nuanced!!

I own a triumph daytona 955i and I love it. So the anger is all hyperbolic.

• Locked thread