Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Moola posted:

the hell with your av lol???

Reminding everyone that God and Science are against Tau feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

willus posted:

e: knowing the internet, "pegged the doctor" was probably not the best phrasing to use

Now that's a Kingdom Death miniature I'd buy!

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
My dog is really into squirrels, but he doesnt talk about it much. I think thats why i like him.

He really doesnt like vacuums, but i dont think he posts about it much.

Honestly i dont know how he passes the time.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
There's a certain justice to getting 20% the number of minis in some raw sense than listed on the back of the box via a tremendous amount of personal labor and exposure to toxic heated substances.

It's like the GW equivalent of one of those cereal box promotions where the box is a little bigger and there's a giant '20% more! And maybe a toy!' notice on the front of the box.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Man, norwegians are too busy cliff diving in their wingsuits to game anymore. Has nothing to do with AoS.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
You guys are such goofballs. In a year it will just be 'Warhammer Fantasy: Age of Sigmar' and it'll be v8 or whatever with a couple tweaks that allow for 'skirmisher' formations on round bases or something, and even though it's the same dumb poo poo it was before, a bunch of people will come back.

I feel like this has already happened once.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

enrious posted:

Oh right, thanks for reminding me that Gundam would also be better without its fans.

I disagree. The fans are the most important part:

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
I've been trying to forge the narrative for years about why I have 20 (old style) Nagaeshii. It involves an eldritch ritual, in which the largest pyramid in Nehekhara split the beam from the dark side of the moon, which in my head canon, is made of warpstone, and each color on the spectrum produced a clone of Nagash. I therefore painted a rainbow of figures to take the field and cast Nagash's Gaze of Gashing Jazz Rays 20 times on turn one.

At last the winds of magic have blown my way.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
I thought he was my age.

This ruins everything. He doesn't even know about the 2nd edition tyranid codex! How can he really hate GW?!

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Yeah, i normally dont care about how your hands or weapons look in an fps, but the vermintide guys put a lot of effort into gorgeous weapons and it really changes the tone from left fordead. Brings in some of the ornate quality of fantasy.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Kanos posted:

Indirectly giving GW money for fun, well-designed products at reasonable prices that you actually want is not a bad thing. The problem only arises when people give GW money for massively overpriced lazy garbage.

I agree. Telling GW its lucrative to license their IP to good design houses is someth ing i wnt to positively reinforce

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
I want to see 30k LOTR with preflood morgoth units against the dunedain. Titan scale dwarven golems.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
On the other hand, it goes to the point that all GW ever had was

(Thing other person created) + (Complete accident) = Unique Snowflake of an idea

GW employees are like Broadway producers. They've been turning dumb poo poo into mediocre entertainment for decades.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
That's fine, and whatever. But it doesn't contain shock lances for use as IG cavalry, and the rifle squads don't have markerlite drones or 1 flamer/meltagun per 10 men. The quality just isn't there.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
That's because it's an Avatar surrounded by Greater Demons of Khorne unbuckling their skull-belts.

Alternate mental picture:

That's because it's a Wraithlord surrounded by Tau stealth-suitsHorse-Kroot.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Apollodorus posted:

GW Death Pool 2015-16: No, the other Seraphon

I know I'm late, but I laughed pretty hard at this.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Spiderdrake posted:

Is there a good write up of the finecast debacle somewhere

everything I've read on it devolves into the dude screaming about the bubbles and quitting the hobby
It wasn't that big a deal, all things considered.

GW was moving away from metal, but said they didn't want to go all plastic for several reasons. Instead of being kind of normal about it 'the molds are expensive and we wouldn't be able to supply all the old stuff in new molds--this lets us keep casting with old molds', they started in with all this crap about how it's cheaper and better in resin, and we'll have more detail. That was sort of true, though not noticeably in a lot of cases. And the downside was that a lot of things were miscast. Some models which held up fine in metal were flimsy in resin. Sometimes people would get something that came bent, or would bend if you left it in the sun in your car or something, and get pissed, which was understandable since, despite this being supposedly cheaper to make, prices went up. At the time the hand-waving was that the price increase was just a cost-of-living adjustment to keep pace with inflation, which would be true if it were a flat increase, which it wasn't. GW said it was partly because things are better now, so actually, even with the higher price, you're getting a deal because the models are so nice looking--and they reemphasized the 'finecast' idea as being a higher quality proposition.

Also in the midst of this comparisons were made between forgeworld and GW, since FW seemed to be getting resin more right than GW.

There were no winners. On one side people were annoyed about poo poo that wasn't as big a deal as they made it out to be. On the other side, anyone who defends GW is an rear end in a top hat.

It was like the second Tim Burton Batman.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Saint Drogo posted:

Did noone remember that seraphon has been the name of malekith's dragon since forever? As soon as GW find that furry gallery it's lawsuit time. :getin:

Malekith and Seraphon, running through the forest
Jumping fences, dodging trees and trying to get away
Contemplating nothing but escape and finally making it
Oo-de-lally, oo-de-lally, golly, what a day...

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

goatface posted:

When your primary mode of travel involves flying your ship through hell, having a big cathedral on top probably makes sense to some people.

This is the truest thing anyone has said about the essential nature of John Blanche's art.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
The intended design is for people to use the new setting with opensource d20 rules and roll up new stats for their troops to provide a richer character driven narrative. As well as spec into necessary skills like bluff and metal working. The narrative background, therefore, has been moved into the Planescape setting to ease the transition.

It suits GWs current style, because, before you can even play, you roll 4d6 drop lowest 5 times per model in order to establish its inherent abilities. You may find that a stormcast eternal general has no charisma, and therefore cannot really command troops--but is still the assigned commander of your detachment. You may find that your Burncauldron Exoknight isn't capable of weilding the 2 handed weapon he was originally modeled with--prompting you to forge a narrative by converting him to use a sling, quarterstaff, or dagger. Your Sledgepile Fuckwhat Dragonsguy might find that he's really nursing an ambition to be a ranger, and therefore should get a pet panther and 2 scimitars.

More importantly, you'll be nurturing your force through 20 levels of development before they achieve Panstormic Eternality--and can deploy things like a Bag of Holding, or Melf's Acid Jazz Album, or A Cheese of Many Holes--in the winds of magic phase, which is now called a 'round' and determined by initiative.

It'll make for experiences that are Unforgeettable.

Forge.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Leperflesh posted:

GW doesn't understand that people actually legitimately relate better to their red-skinned blood-drinking skull-hoarding straight up daemons of violence and rage, because at least they have human emotional qualities and behave as though there's something at stake and also we can actually see their faces, so we know they have faces.

This is a common problem. I loathed DnD 4th edition, not because of the mechanics changes, but because it displayed this problem when they turned the alignment system into a linear tradeoff between 'lawful good' and 'chaotic evil' with a no-mans-land of disrespectful bullshit in between called 'unaligned'.

GW and WotC are showing their immorality, because they can't define what morality even is. They can define immorality no problem. In fact, they love having their cake and eating it too so much on that side, that they go out of their way to find methods for people to enjoy being the 'bad guys' only good, for arbitrary reasons.

I think it points to the people being complete creeps. Good isn't about 'You're good if you obey the Good Guy' (which, given who they think this must mean, is even creepier). Good is about being committed to the premise that kindness, mercy, and cooperation are inherently superior strategies that make a better world. That they can and should occur regardless of hierarchy or cultural differences. Or in the weirdo modern dnd world, endlessly distinct racial origin.

I remember as a kid, this was the dividing line for a lot of cartoons. You had something like He-Man, where he was good because he was superior, and he was superior because he was good. In other words, for no reason. You were supposed to root for him because they told you to. Skeletor wasn't a good guy, and he wasn't charismatic, but his main focus was killing He-Man, and that seems like a pretty ok goal, to me. He was a passive tyrant. I mean. Ask Orko, how he felt about the regime.

Maybe I'm getting off track here.

Anyway, GI Joe was different. Cobra wanted to rule the world and hurt people to do it. The Joes won because they trusted each other, and could be trusted. Cobra lost because they were so conniving and back-biting they were always undercutting each other.

More than anything else, the transition from a gray-area, filled with complicated tradeoffs to a shithouse God is Just because We Say So world irritates me.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Leperflesh posted:

Loathing 4e entirely because they got rid of Chaotic Good and Lawful Evil strikes me as really weird. It does maybe speak to a designer's failure to understand that evil isn't always foaming-at-the-mouth berzerk, which OK I guess, but if you read any of the fluff in the monster manual or adventures or campaigns it's clear the writers understand that perfectly well. There are plenty of conniving, well-organized, or institutional bad guys, and there are plenty of good guys who have a problem with authority and working well with others. (Thank god though for finally stopping the trend of encouraging players to play an rear end in a top hat who can't get along in a party setting, though!)

If they'd done it from the beginning, I think the writers who contributed to the settings would have made something much less rich and interesting, for precisely that reason. That they still had interesting cultures was a hold over from the previous eras. They took things like a god of art and music and made it 'unaligned', yet it still was the enemy of some chaotic evil god, because that's who *used* to be its enemy.

Nobody ever had to give a poo poo about alignment in the first place, anyway: that's how DnD in general worked. I mean, how many people followed encumbrance rules? Or the swimming distance stuff? Did you track rations and the progression of disease? Chance to bend-bars? DnD was a jumping off point for different people to play different games. You could go the wargaming route, or you could use it for theater of the mind. Given that 4th was about making a more understandable, tighter game that people could wrap their heads around in its own right, rather than the existing ballast of complicated multi-layered rules (how fast can your chariot go before it has to make an animal handling check during a sudden maneuver? Ok, what if you are a psychic from the Darksun ruleset?), it seems like a really weird effort to dumb down something that didn't need dumbing down. It also doesn't take up a very big footprint in the book. Want to free people from rigid requirements? Fine, take the requirements out. But to me, the fun of the game was that it wasn't *just* a rule set, it was a big collection of interesting ideas to tell a story. And all they did in 4th was reduce the richness, in a way that I found condescending, and even kind of weirdly insane--especially when you got into the stuff where formerly good things were now 'unaligned'. Or premises where some group had a strong philosophical bent became 'unaligned'. It was also pandering like crazy. You could be a half-demon furry, or half-dragon, or golem, for fucks sake. Like, anything a 13 year old had sketched in a notebook was now being actively encouraged.

As for your point about curing the party rear end in a top hat, I don't think there is a cure for people being assholes. The obsession (not saying you--just in general) with first identifying and then somehow stamping out rear end in a top hat behavior as a function of a ruleset is kind of weird to me. It's one thing if you're comparing a game with a hidden traitor mechanic to a fully cooperative one, I guess--then there's expectations and you can kind of see how, for the game to work, you have to fulfill your role. And maybe some people don't like that, and they can avoid your game. But even then, I would say that there's a totally acceptable place for being a 'spoiler' provided you're with a group of people who enjoy that element and enjoy you doing it (sometimes called 'friends'). At a certain point, you have to be personally responsible for who you play with and whether you're a good sport. The game shouldn't try to mandate it, and the more you try, the more often you see something tone def that implies that the person trying is the problem--like that weird 'Show some balls and play Warmahordes like a man!' thing that privateer has since rewritten.

Moola posted:

if I made an RPG it would have 3 alignments

moral, amoral and immoral

Moola, Amoola, and Immoola.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
E:reply is not edit and quote or whatever. Sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Genestealer.

Ymargl, obviously. Other genestealers are gross.

• Locked thread