Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

So there's this company, you may have heard of them, called Games Workshop. For the past 25 odd years now they've been merrily separating tweens and nerds from their cash in exchange for increasingly meagre handfuls of plastic models to play their games. This was a relatively stable set of affairs but I just learned that GW have done two very, very idiotic things (among others):
  • Banned pick up games from stores and events
  • Scrapped the Golden Daemon

Given their financial outlook and what these trends imply, I've put this thread up. If you want to enter, post a date between now and December 31, 2015. If GW dies on this date, or if yours is the nearest guess, you win!

Death here is defined as:

Filing for bankruptcy
Breaking off of or sales of divisions such as miniatures, publishing, selling the IP, etc.
Discontinuation of all miniatures sales
Company bought out

If you guess successfully you could ~fabulous prizes~ (to be determined). If they don't die by the end date you get nothing. If there's a tie it goes to the first person to guess it. If you guess two dates you're out.

Oh yeah, and don't take this too seriously. It's warhams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Currently for prizes I have two 3rd edition codexii, for Tau and Orks, a 5th edition 40k rulebook, and 20 polka dot Catachans. I will rummage through my warhams some more to try and find a funnier prize (I may glue a bunch of poo poo together and make something that way)

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Spreadsheet with dates is here.

As to the ban on PUGs and nixing Golden Daemon, I will confess my source on these matters was Rulebook Heavily in IRC. :v: Even if they're not true the fact that they're believable combined with the stock price says a lot.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

K Prime posted:

December 31, 2015.

Yeah that's right.

Someone beat you to it.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Laphroaig posted:

December 30.999, 9s repeating infinitely, 2015

So, putting you down for 30/12/2015

Apollodorus posted:

December 30, 11:59.99 pm

puttin you down for 30/12/14 then. if you dont like this maybe you should have said a year fucko :owned:

namesake posted:

0 222 015.M2

Approximating to 16/3/2015. Since you were clever in a cool way if the date lands in the third week of March your guess takes precedence.

Thundercracker posted:

Not betting on dates since a bunch already took Dec 31 2015, but definitely betting on being bought out, and specifically by Hasbro/WotC or some one big corp toy company (does any even exist?)

They're the only players with enough of a warchest to buy GWS, the existant logistical network to clean up GWS's nightmare of a supply chain, and have an existant expandable player base and tournament logistics with Magic to actually invigorate the game.

I could easily see Wizards taking over administration of GWS and everyone would be better off for it.

Selling off major chunks of the business counts as GW death.

Little_wh0re posted:

GW will not die in the timeframe listed has anyone else bet that yet?

No but that's no fun.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

That and rules that don't suck would own, but if they were likely this thread wouldn't exist.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

As far as I'm concerned, feel free to treat this thread as the Trad Games Xboner thread equivalent for GW.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Yeah, I've seen things like metal Tiger treads for specific Tamiya kits and such. GW only care since it helps keep prices high.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Also the problem is Apple products are well-made and fucntional, while GW's minis are kind of awful.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Heh, fair enough. Their paints are alright I guess?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Nah, they're fairly competitive nowadays, and unlike your typical poo poo-top from Best Buy they won't catch fire after 6 months; by comparison GW have only gotten worse over time.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Rest in pieces Badab Black and Devlan Mud :(

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I think my FLGS stocks it, but when I saw it first I thought CCP was getting into the minis business. That's how badly marketed it is.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

For the pick-up games, painting help and events of course!

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Little_wh0re posted:

GW will not die in the timeframe listed has anyone else bet that yet?

Just going to quote this for posterity. :smug:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

Its going to be something that won't matter when you're dead from 2000 points of large blast templates, because the point of this is likely to sell more of the kits that nowadays people can only buy one or two of.

Pretty much. Think less Kampfgruppes Peiper, Bake or Hummel and more Nuclear Choir, TH/SS Space Wolf terminators or Virus Grenade spam.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

People don't beard out because they're poo poo (well, most don't), they do it because warhams is fuckin' expensive and if you buy a poo poo army you've basically wasted half a grand.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I sorta like the IP for nostalgia reasons but honestly I'm not that fussed if GW dies and takes the IP with them, I've since moved on to spergier and groggier pursuits.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Wasn't she fantasy? I thought the Ice Queen of Kislev was the Thatcher reference.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Most of it's been downplayed and filtered out, yeah.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Boo, there go my hopes of watching Russians mow down waves of elves.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I could see Battlefront and Privateer Press doing it, they're both fairly established at this point.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Basically you only get to play demo games, that's it.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Also some of us live in teeny weeny countries where for the most part they were the only readily accessible gaming space :arghfist::(

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

This thread was created explicitly to poo poo on GW because it's funny, stop mucking it up with serious arguments you nerds

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

The Gate posted:

Unironically, the "unbound" thread was the best thing to happen to 40k in this forum in years. Too much of that poo poo is seriousposting about lists and how the retarded story is now too retarded (I am guilty of these too). Making dumb jokes, making fun of GW, and posting pictures of weird 40k related poo poo was great, and I laughed more at that thread for that week than I have since it was in old GBS. Also made me almost reconsider actually buying 7th, but then the fun stopped and everyone got serious and it sucked again.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Seriously, I want a permanent unbound 40k thread. It was super entertaining. Although it might get dull having to wade through :vomarine: posts every day.

Good news, I encourage you to post everything too stupid for the main 40k thread in here!

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I'd like to remind everyone all bets are final. :getin:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

40%.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxwLPBdIXlk

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

moths posted:

Maybe it was unfair of me to hold GW to the same marketing standards as Aldi.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

It used to own gaming at the GW in Den Haag because there was 4 bars within about 20 meters, one of them being a gay bar. :kimchi:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Get Yorkshire tea or Barry's Gold Blend. The latter is an Irish brand so it's expensive to buy outside of the Republic but either of those two brands is probably the best bagged tea you'll get.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Oh, those. I thought you were making a crack about builder's tea. :v:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I can't imagine having to get a publican's license encourages FLGSs to do it since then you can't get the younger crowd in and have them blow their allowance on Magic.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

this conversation is setting off my autism something fierce

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

El Estrago Bonito posted:

-Inaccurate historical sources: Basically the game uses mostly western first hand, and extremely biased historical sources and is heavily colored by movie depictions. The SS are the most elite, inhuman killing machines with all the best guns and supplies. Russians are cowards who throw endless streams of bodies at problems until they win. The French/Greeks/Commonwealths/Chinese/etc are weak comedy option armies when compared to the major powers who did all the "real" work (exceptions are made due to the design teams boner for Jews and Indians who are just better than their parent lists). God forbid you were one of those Axis partisan training level groups, there is a nice warm space deep under the rug for you (once again, exception made for the Volksturm because they have cinematic pathos or something).

In fairness to Battlefront, they've been getting somewhat better about this; the Udarny Strelkovy from Red Bear and the Hero lists from Desparate Measures are less painfully pop culture-y than most Russian lists. Minors are also getting better lists. That said, the Japanese are terrible. They're a pretty good army rules-wise but they decided to really play up the "long suffering honorable Japanese rushing heedlessly into machine gun fire" and it ends up as kind of racist? I guess.

Shame too, I'd love to paint up a Japanese company.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I'd almost make the argument that FoW, Bolt Action and SAGA aren't so much historical games as they are historically themed games. Because playing Band of Brothers or Saving Private Ryan will always be honestly more fun than playing Studs Terkel's The Good War. Those games aren't about being 100% accurate to history so much as they are about being accurate to what we think of when we read books and watch movies about the war.

The problem is when this leads to things like "My SS-Totenkopf Panzergrenadiers effortlessly fend off your mob of Russian poo poo farmers" or "My 3 Ishermans cut down your 30 T-54s with no losses".

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Chill la Chill posted:

You can paint a tank in rainbows to commemorate all the gay servicemen who couldn't openly show it and tell grogs their love is as real and historical as their spring '44 tank

Dang this is what happens when I don't refresh the page

might as well just bring a coffee table book of tom of finland art at that rate

(not really :nws:, linking it to be safe anyway)http://33.media.tumblr.com/5afe2e63a96248ad324694612619ca83/tumblr_n027qwoZxP1qko7kro1_1280.jpg

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I know you're joking but IIRC there's an official Band of Brothers list in Nuts! I think. It's pretty gimmicky (lots of warrior teams backing up moderate blobs of elite infantry), but it's an airborne list so it's a pretty neat gimmick.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

The Gate posted:

I am really thankful most of the guys that play locally seem to be not terrible history spergs. poo poo is nicely and (I assume) accurately painted. When I first expressed interest in the game though, one of the first things they told me was that FoW was a wargame first and not a simulation, that I shouldn't expect things to necessarily be perfectly accurate to how the war went, etc.

Those were meant to be examples of ahistorical outcomes. :v: The SS-Totenkopf had to be reconstituted three times because they kept holding untenable positions, and while the Egyptian army wasn't great, especially in the early engagements of the Six-Day war they were able to give as good as they got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

Well to be fair, if it was accurate it might not be that fun, as every King Tiger would be an immobile pillbox and 3 out of 4 Panthers would start the game on fire :v:

There's an option in the German Normandy book for some lists to take an early production King Tiger.

You have to take a skill test every time you want it to move or else the transmission eats itself, it becomes immobile for the rest of the game and its morale drops to Reluctant :v:

• Locked thread