Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Spiderdrake posted:

I sort of like the fact that wargames stick to the imperial measuring system

My steam tank gets 50 rods to the hogshead and that's the way we likes it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Thirsty Dog posted:

It was a joke.

Age of Sigmar: it was a joke

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

LGD posted:

It's in the Warhammer thread but for convenience-

I'm so fukkkken bloodstoked right now!

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YYZcpMk8qo

My bloodsecrators bloodsecute by shooting their bloodzers.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

quote:

Just chatted with a gw staffy yesterday, regarding the "points system."
Paraphrasing slightly: he said "There are no points. It was too confusing for new comers and added to the high learning curve. Also it became too hard to sustain a balanced system"
"Now points values are set by gentlemens agreement. Each player declares what they are using until their opponent calls stop!!" Any dick moves are balanced out by special mission objectives that turn a 100 against 5 game into a 300 style game, were the player with the outnumbered faction only has to kill say 5 enemies."

Ho there, good sir, methinks thou has filled thy deployment zone with daemons. Perchance thou wilt withdraw some, in the very name of sportsmanship?

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

FrostyPox posted:

Really the smart way to deal with WAAC players is to write tight, clear, balanced rules so that there's little for them to exploit and even "playing casually" means you have a good chance of winning, and also not to play against douchebags

Yeah, if anything open-ended rules and army-building mechnics significantly empower WAAC players. Oh and guess what - most people don't have 5 beer and pretzel bros to beer and pretzel it up on Beer and Pretzels night. Most people have to beer and pretzels with the few local fantasy players that are around and, invariably, one of those guys is a WAAC.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Gorefiend posted:

"You can't criticize when you play Warmachine"

What does this even mean?

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
So is this 'competitive players' being a 4 letter word thing common? I don't frequent many GW games forums or FB groups or whatever until this AoS furor started.

The loving moral superiority of 'casual' players when they talk about competitive players as though wanting to play with your best stuff is a character defect is pretty funny and stupid.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Have you ever seen someone trying to do comedy by being WHOAAAAA WACKY? Hey look everyone - I'm wearing a lampshade on my head!

You know how painfully forced that is?

Now, imagine a game system that codified that into the rules ensuring that the same WHOA WACKY I'M RIDING A HORSE bit would be driven into the ground for as long as it is played in stores.

I swear to Christ, it's like a game system written for people who have no idea what a 'beer and pretzels' gaming encounter really is.

I don't need rules to inject humor into my games. Hell, I laugh my rear end off almost every time I play Warmahordes and that's a game system that is apparently written for WAAC psychopaths to hear the AoS defenders talk about it.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Age of Sigmar is apparently targetting that lucrative and uptapped demographic of 8-12 year olds with 15k of disposable income.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
I'm really enjoying these AoS debates in various forums/fb groups.

The game isn't balanced.
Don't worry about balance just have fun!
But a balanced game is more fun than rolling someone or getting rolled constantly.
Don't play with people who bring WAAC dick lists.
I don't my friend and I spent 30 minutes trying to balance out the lists but it was still imbalanced
Just balance every unit against another unit.
We tried that and it failed
Don't worry about balance just have fun!

Is "just have fun!" some sort of incantation to be hurled at anything that challenges your wargaming belief system?

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Corrode posted:

Yeah, as much as people like to say "it's not like your old rulebooks have disappeared! :smug:"

So many of the arguments made in defense of GW hinge on the idea that players have a huge field of would-be and current fantasy players enough so that you can weed out the dickheads and still either get in some AoS games where balance was at least attempted or just play an old version.

That or that 99% of us aren't at the mercy of whatever shows up at our FLGS and instead have a crew of 4+ ultra beer and pretzbros with unlimited funds and a hive mind approach as to what is FUN and what is balanced.

spectralent posted:

Also do people going "Well this will show those tournament gamers :smug:" realise that scenario driven games exist and are better at the thing they apparently want to do?

I have no idea. The thought processes of that group escape me. Especially because no balance means that waac tournament psychopaths (because anyone who enjoys a competitive game probably cuts the eyes out of pictures of women) have nothing to rein them in. In fact the game encourages them to just keep butting down their favorite and best stuff.

Say you've got 4 local dudes you know who are willing to buy some fantasy armies. Including yourself. Which is my current situation. Now let's say 1-2 of those guys are assholes. If I take the GW defender path of 'just not playing them' then I've cut my prospective fantasy games down by 25-50% and am pretty limited in opponents. In every state I've lived Fantasy was hard to find an opponent. So the answer is to make a game that empowers assholes and for me to just never play them? The gently caress?

fnordcircle fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 5, 2015

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

FrostyPox posted:

What I find deliciously ironic is I've encountered clueless smug Warhammer players who, despite not knowing anything about Warmachine, insist that it's just "shoving models to the middle of the table and rolling dice with no strategy because that's what it looks like in battle reports, game has no tactics".

Yeah, I will never understand the people who say Age of Sigmar is anything like Warmachine. I mean, both are skirmish game involving dice and uh....miniatures? Age of Sigmar is more like 40k than Warmahordes.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
I played AoS yesterday. Against someone who has been storming the internet to defend the lack of balance options.

I deliberately took my best characters - Nagash, etc - along with powerful units and set them on the table before deployment and said "This is what I want to play tonight, bring whatever you want to play against it."

An hour later he was suddenly interested in brainstorming balance options with me.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

SirPhoebos posted:

Part of me wants to play devil'sBLOODDEAMON BLOODSECUTOR's advocate and remind everyone that people will have differing standards of what is enjoyable, and that opining that AoS is fun doesn't mean a person is a lobotomized abuse victim.

But another part wants to quip that since my fake friend with a terminal illness got to go skydiving and get a visit from John Cena, that must mean getting a terminal illness is fun.

I played a few games over a couple of days this weekend. I enjoyed it. If people come up with a way to balance it, ignore the stupid 'zany' rules and some of the other bad rules are ignored I can see myself continuing to enjoy it.

I can say all that and still say that the choice of no balance was especially retarded, the WHOA HAHA zany rules are dumb as poo poo and that the defense of GW's choices offered up by some people has blown my mind.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Honestly reading and watching all of the mental gymnastics and circular logic being displayed by the members of the 512th Beer and Pretzels Legion has been significantly more fun than Age of Sigmar.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
http://natfka.blogspot.com.au/2015/07/gw-answers-age-of-sigmar-questions.html

Is this just someone reposting serious gaylord's post? It's getting posted everywhere now.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Hey guys - this post was just made on somethingawful. Apparently Games Workshop are actually purple monkey telephone.

enri posted:

GW in 'actually talking to their customers' shocker:

http://natfka.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/gw-answers-age-of-sigmar-questions.html

Some interesting stuff there.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Well I mean, you can download the rules for free.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Nothing in the rules state that your models have to be resting on their bases.

So, make a model 24" off the ground and at end of movement tip it forward!

Got the idea from the MWG test balance game.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Business Gorillas posted:

so i'm having the eventual argument with my buddy who's dad runs the GW here

i guess they whipped out a big fuckin pie chart in memphis and WFB actually made 13% of GW's total revenue

edit: i'm now playing a game of AGE OF SIGMOR tomorrow and i'm not pulling any punches. 12 war machines is a go

Do it. I've played a few games against the "I cast spell of FUN at your comments on balance" types and I've brought out the most broken poo poo I could each time to see if they'd change their tune.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Business Gorillas posted:

I dip my brush into your mother's pot all the time and I don't get any complaints???

Very professional.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Vallejo because droppers.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
AoS defense generator. Roll a dice:

On a result of 1: "Just have fun."

On a result of 2: "In real life war isn't balanced."

On a result of 3: "Just don't play people who bring dick lists."

On a result of 4: "Don't worry about balance, talk about what type of experience you and your fellow player want to have."

On a result of 5: "People who don't like AoS are just resistant to change."

On a result of 6: "You're acting entitled."

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Captain Rufus posted:

Citadel Shade is extremely my poo poo. I might hate the Workshop but their wash family of Liquid Skill are a godsend if you hate painting like me. Stuff makes my Warmahordes look great.

I hate painting. Do you use one type of shade or does it vary?

Do you have any guides you followed to try it? Can i just use floor wax or something?

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Nebalebadingdong posted:

its super easy. if you REALLY hate painting, just base your mini in a single color, pick out the spots that are a different color and wash the whole thing. if you're brand new, it may take a few times to get a good catch on how much wash to use, but you'll learn quickly

you can just use the black or brown wash and be fine. the others are good too but they aren't as dark and aren't neutral in color so they aren't universally applicable

You're talking about the quickshades, right? I've used the GW and other washes a lot but I need to start speeding up my painting because I just have too much poo poo.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Nebalebadingdong posted:

i fuckin' MASTERED speed painting when i painted 100 skaven slaves. here's what i did, dunno if it works for you:

1. base white with GW white spray (yes GW spray, others might work but many sprays assume you're putting a basecoat down after and we're skipping that step. )
2. base coat things that can't be some variant of light gray or brown or sepia. for skaven, i based the weapons/armor with a metal color and the fur (which dark brown or gray). leave everything else stark white
3. wash the cloth with the colored wash of your choice. wash skin with the flesh wash. wash everything else in brown/black. for darker colors, wash more than once.
4. pick out stuff like eyes with red or whatever

optional 5: add basic highlights with another color.

and you're done

gets you this:

Nice ! Thanks for the walk through.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
I'm sick of people trying to "balance" the game! The game IS balanced, it is the PLAYERS who are not!

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
"40k isn't very balanced so why do we need balance at all in AoS?" is, quite possibly, my favorite defense of the no-points yet.

I mean it takes a special sort of mindset to use a widely-touted flaw from one game system as justification for pushing that flaw to its furthest limit in another.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Phoon posted:

this is missing "its just a game/toy"

And the 'real life isn't balanced' one too.

Here's a little tale of a man who went to a massively unbalanced battle against him. Did he howl that it was unfair because there were no points. No. He used the most powerful weapon known to man. His Brain.
As the last paragraph says "Defeat in this battle was a blow from which Rome should be reeling for some time to come. More than ever Rome needed brilliant generals, capable men of intelligence and imagination."

http://www.roman-empire.net/army/cannae.html

:smug: overload

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Night10194 posted:

Steamhead Duardin Firesprayer Bloodsoaker.

Nounnoun Nounverb

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Ashcans posted:

Honestly a dude getting so worked up that he actually burns his army and photoblogs it just makes me think that he's the kind of guy who is going to boomerang around in a year and recollect twice as much poo poo. That always seems to happen to my friends who freak out the worst. It's the guys who go out quietly and just give their poo poo away to friends/drop if off at the thrift store that are really done.

When you've truly stopped caring you don't feel the need to waste your time making a scene.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
I skipped around that 'burn my elves to show this company that sells models a thing or two!' video but the moment he said "i've expressed myself as much as one can within the limited medium that is language" or whatever I knew we had reached peak autist.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
I use power-word FUN to dispel your argument

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
A premium price is expected when buying the premium narrative forging models in existence today.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Doctor Borris posted:

So what exactly DOES Retributor Brand armor spray do thats better then citadel spray thats better then regular Good Company Primer?

It coats your jewel like items of wonder in FUN allowing you to forge a narrative that is otiose in a niche.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

In all the hubbub and rush to criticize rules I never really thought about how my response to Age of Sigmar reflects on me as a person.

I've got a lot of talking to do with the man in the mirror because I'm not sure I like who I've become. Thank you, Games Workshop.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
The whole 'bad publicity is better than no publicity' is probably going to work in their favor.

I expect that the scenario book we're supposed to get this week or whatever will be nothing but new models and the people who bought the AoS box set will go 'well, all I need to do is buy another 4 boxes of 5 bloodgore gorebloods and I can do this scenario' and AoS will probably bring them more revenue than WHFB.

Every game of AoS I've played has gotten more curiosity than any 40k or Warmahordes game. The GW fanboys want it to be good and the rest are morbidly curious to see just how bad this game is.

If the scenario book is full of nothing but scenarios using models that don't exist yet that'll pretty much confirm that all of WHFB got squatted, imo. Even if the people who break their backs carrying GW's water don't realize it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Saint Drogo posted:

ah yes the WE ARE BEING SCARY NOW THIS IS A SCARY THING YOU ARE SCARED school of horror. I was tempted to read those books once because I have no standards but gently caress me that is bad. That is bad like nothing I've read outside of fetish fanfics. Every single line is something a Warcraft boss screams at you before you kill them for phat loot.

sweet sigmo :psypop:

It's like reading the stuff people would emote in a mud.

• Locked thread