Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Another Poster posted:

It doesn't seem like Yato is the jerk here to me.

I dunno, the 'yeah, I murdered a dude, seemed like a good idea at the time, now help me kill a bunch of other folks trying to avenge him... you pussy' thing was not exactly neighbourly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Yep, Yato is a belligerent jerk. Exactly what you'd expect from a god like this,

Also Kofuku owns. She saved Yato by loving up colossaly.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ugh I hate being an episode behind (but not enough to get a Funimation subscription). It's taking all my willpower to not find it elsewhere and to wait for it to hit Hulu but I really like watching it in HD on the tv.

Ep 5
the gag where her family doesn't notice them had me ROLLING. This show moves so fluidly from the comedy to the more serious stuff. It was nice to get more info about the god/regalia relationship as well.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Gonna go ahead and guess Nora was the one who killed the shinki and Yato isn't explaining that because she was/is his responsibility and he doesn't want to sound like he's making excuses or passing the blame.

Blhue fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 10, 2014

Another Poster
Apr 12, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

I dunno, the 'yeah, I murdered a dude, seemed like a good idea at the time, now help me kill a bunch of other folks trying to avenge him... you pussy' thing was not exactly neighbourly.

Yukine was being annoyingly pussy this whole time though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Another Poster posted:

Yukine was being annoyingly pussy this whole time though.

I dunno, I can see why someone might have certain issues with being dragged into killing stuff you're not sure needs/deserves to be killed. I mean, Yato's pitted himself against fuckin' Bishamon. That's a pretty big deal.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Blhue posted:

Gonna go ahead and guess Nora was the one who killed the shinki and Yato isn't explaining that because she was/is his responsibility and he doesn't want to sound like he's making excuses or passing the blame.

I agree, this episode showed Nora intervening in the battle without being commanded/wielded and wigging the gently caress out of Bishamon's tactics regalia dude enough to get her to back off, with all her countless talking wardrobe.
It could be a case of a small god taking up a bigger regalia than he can handle and lost control/corrupted her in ladder climbing hubris, and he's a repentant Sauron running from his one ring.
It would explain (not justify) why he is being a cagey jerk to Yukine.

Yak of Wrath fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Feb 10, 2014

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
The issue between him and Yukine does get covered in pretty good detail fairly soon. I don't really want to spoil it here though.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

SC Bracer posted:

The issue between him and Yukine does get covered in pretty good detail fairly soon. I don't really want to spoil it here though.

Glad to hear that.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Oh man, this show seems to build it's drama around Yukine and especially Yato being insufferable jerks with communication problems.

BrilliantFool
Jan 23, 2007

Bravo.
Episode 6 is out for non-paying viewers, and 7 is out for subscribers.

Also I've been seeing a lot of untagged spoilers about the latest episodes. Try not to do that anymore, please.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Episode 7 spoilers It seems like Nora is really a part of Yato's life that he wants to put behind him, but can't. Kinda like a recovering alcoholic that sees alcohol everywhere, and has to physically strain not to give in.

I wonder what it is about Nora that appeals? Its pretty obvious that she was his Regalia of choice in the past, but its not been made clear if she was a Nora even back then, or if she became one effectively after Yato dropped her like bad news.

Yukine really needs to be confronted with what his actions are doing. He's lashing out like a child at not being trusted (except oops, they were right to not trust him) and doesn't realize that he is literally physically killing Yato by doing so.

I pretty much burned through the whole series in one long burn after watching the first couple episodes, its a interesting series. Is this confirmed as a one or two cours? It seems with only 5 episodes left they're gonna struggle to resolve the plot points like Hiyori and the whole Bishamon thing, not to mention explain poo poo like Weird big eye hood guy who is pretty clearly in the background whenever they flashback to Samurai Yato

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

All the usual websites say 12 episodes.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

All the usual websites say 12 episodes.

Huh, well, I'll have to see how they go, hopefully they don't do the thing of leaving a load of plotpoints on a cliffhanger in hopes of getting a second season.

Also, this is basically the only show this season where both the OP and ED appeal to me as listening-to music, and the combat music in the actual anime is good too.

BrilliantFool
Jan 23, 2007

Bravo.
Speaking of the music, the full version of the OP is out.

It's a little weird...ly awesome. I take it back, I like it.

BrilliantFool fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 22, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Yea, it's pretty neat. Reminds me of the Gatchaman Crowds op, which was pretty neat too.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

New episode out, Episode 7 up for non subscribers

Episode 8
I'm guessing what they're afraid of is Iki for being blighted, being a half phantom as she is. If they were scared of Yato because he was blighted then a Borderline would do nothing.

I wonder if thats because Iki is more dangerous then your average phantom, or just because Kofuku and Daikoku are not particularly combat oriented (the last time she tried to do anything she blew out a Vent, so yeah)

Kofuku was pretty awesome in this episode though, when she threatened Bishamon, God of War. There be a storm-a-poo poo brewin' if you touch her Yatty.

End of Episode 8 preview spoilers
Preview looks like they're gonna try and cleanse Yato, although there was a brief glimpse of what looked like Yukine in his white robe thing, I wonder if hes gonna be "unnamed" and exorcised by the other gods, but turn back just before he would have crossed over into Phantom side.

Also loving bravo to Hiyori for finally loving telling Yukine that his actions do more then just give Yato a slight sting, dude is dying because of him.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Kofuku is awesome. As long as she stays far aways from me though.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
There's an OAD floating around the usual places. It's nothing to do with the main plot, as one might expect.

OAD talk: If it's canon, then it says that nothing of note will happen to shake up the status quo between now and when Hiyori starts high school, which is unfortunate (but not unexpected). Also, Yato's a dick, and Hiyori is unrealistically forgiving.

Main story talk: I really want Hiyori to start doing things. Let her discover some unique power she has or something. I'm tired of her just running around playing standard heroine support.

Main story/OAD talk: I guess the OAD shows that Yukine gets over his school issues, though I didn't really expect otherwise.

Also, why are we now getting panty shots? I don't remember seeing them before this OAD and the last episode or two. I guess they don't think the show's popular enough?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Also, why are we now getting panty shots? I don't remember seeing them before this OAD and the last episode or two. I guess they don't think the show's popular enough?

Noragami is apparently the general #1 anime of Winter season. http://animeanime.jp/article/2014/02/23/17576.html

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

pandaK posted:

Noragami is apparently the general #1 anime of Winter season. http://animeanime.jp/article/2014/02/23/17576.html

Whoa! I would not have expected that! It's good enough, and I guess it has both pretty boys and pretty girls, but still...

This makes the sudden panty shot inclusion even weirder.

edit: I wonder how much the BL crowd has to do with its popularity. All of the gods' main Regalia are opposite gender except for Yato/Yukine. It seems made for doujinshi.

VVVVVV Apparently that had slipped my mind.

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 27, 2014

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Whoa! I would not have expected that! It's good enough, and I guess it has both pretty boys and pretty girls, but still...

This makes the sudden panty shot inclusion even weirder.

edit: I wonder how much the BL crowd has to do with its popularity. All of the gods' main Regalia are opposite gender except for Yato/Yukine. It seems made for doujinshi.

Eh, with those bath scenes there's also been previously it doesn't seem particularly odd.

Main story stuff: With Hiyori having been blighted like that while being out of body, I can't imagine her not becoming actually important very soon. As Conot pointed out.

BrilliantFool
Jan 23, 2007

Bravo.
Just your weekly reminder that the latest episode is out at the usual places. Ep 9 has a little something after the ED, so don't bail out early.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Well, that was a nice resolution. I guess we will now see what's up with Nora and her strange friend. But there's not much time left for a proper story arc...

Hmph, it will probably be a gigantic cliffhanger ending.

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 2, 2014

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Episode 9 spoilers (as are Lucy's up there, in case there are any non-subscribers reading) So, thats that resolved. Its nice to see something that was introduced as a "minor" almost comedic element (Yato gets a sting whenever Yukine does something wrong) turned out to be a big deal. Its a good way to introduce plot without being in your face about it.

On the other hand, Yukine was SEVERELY dramatized here. Even as someone who was in a very bad place from his fate as effectively a ghost, it seems a little contrived that he should think he was right to smash up a school's windows. Perhaps I'm being overly optimistic here.

It was nice to see the serious side to normally comedic characters too. Tenjin might tease Yato about his minor deity status, but when the poo poo gets serious, he cares just as much as Kofuku about Yato's blight.

There certainly didn't seem to be a huge amount of stigma to the killing of a Regalia, so I wonder if it has more to do with the fact that Yato killed someone elses Regalia, rather then one of his own? It also seems as though un-naming Yukine would have atleast undone Yato's portion of the blight, if not his own.

Mayu stepping up was neat, although I'm worried that thats gonna be it in terms of plot relevance for her, considering we only have, what, 3 episodes left? It seems to me like at best their going to be rushed, considering next episode obviously introduces weird eye hood guy, and at worst their going to leave things on a cliffhanger.

Its really gonna sting me (no pun intended) on this series if they do the thing of leaving a whole bunch of plot hooks unresolved purely so that they have something to work a second season around, but on the other hand I don't see how they can't do that now, considering the number of plothooks open (Hiyori's weird-phantom existence, Bishamon's killed Regalia, Yato's past (which looks like its gonna be the focus for the last 3 episodes))

Also, just gonna point out:

Conot posted:

I'm guessing what they're afraid of is Iki for being blighted, being a half phantom as she is. If they were scared of Yato because he was blighted then a Borderline would do nothing.

100% wrong, they were scared of Yukine. I still don't totally understand Borderlines, since I was under the impression that they only affected Phantoms, but seem to affect pretty much all class of Far Shore denizens (whether that includes a unblighted Regalia, is hard to say)

Conot posted:

Preview looks like they're gonna try and cleanse Yato, although there was a brief glimpse of what looked like Yukine in his white robe thing, I wonder if hes gonna be "unnamed" and exorcised by the other gods, but turn back just before he would have crossed over into Phantom side.

50/50 on this. I did call the whole "coming back at the edge of being turned into a phantom", but they were "cleansing" Yukine, not Yato, which in retrospect makes more sense, Yukine is the issue, not Yato.

e: Holy crap thats a lot of words about anime

Arianya fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 3, 2014

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Conot posted:

On the other hand, Yukine was SEVERELY dramatized here. Even as someone who was in a very bad place from his fate as effectively a ghost, it seems a little contrived that he should think he was right to smash up a school's windows. Perhaps I'm being overly optimistic here.

Counter argument, Yukine is a dumbass teenager

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

pandaK posted:

Counter argument, Yukine is a dumbass teenager

I get that aspect of his character, and it was somewhat justifiable with the stealing cash and a skateboard thing, but as someone who is relatively young I've never met anyone who would consider smashing up a school's windows because "boo hoo I'm a ghost" a right and just thing to do

I dunno, perhaps I've been very sheltered and just not met these kind of people, but it seemed over the top to me.

VVVV Hahaha, fair play sir.

Arianya fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 3, 2014

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Conot posted:

I get that aspect of his character, and it was somewhat justifiable with the stealing cash and a skateboard thing, but as someone who is relatively young I've never met anyone who would consider smashing up a school's windows because "boo hoo I'm a ghost" a right and just thing to do

I dunno, perhaps I've been very sheltered and just not met these kind of people, but it seemed over the top to me.

I'm going to have to back down from this now since I don't have any real life experience with teenage ghosts to refer to.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Conot posted:

VVVV Hahaha, fair play sir.

It wasn't what he was doing, it's why he was doing it. Can you really say it's unrealistic for someone to be incredibly pissed and bitter about dying that young?

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
He was very scared, angry and had nothing really stopping him from acting out in such a way. As far as he is concerned he's dead, no parents or anything to punish him for what he was doing. He was somewhat wrong, as episode 9 showed, but he didn't know that. Its not really all that surprising that he was smashing windows and stealing. What did he have to lose?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I think its a nice touch how the ending in the episode sort of loops to something that Hiyori inconspicuously said. Who does help the gods and regalia? Also Daikoku being a big softy is always nice to see :unsmith:

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

paragon1 posted:

It wasn't what he was doing, it's why he was doing it. Can you really say it's unrealistic for someone to be incredibly pissed and bitter about dying that young?

Feeling as though he missed out on life would be perfectly understandable but I don’t think the show really went with that angle. Certainly Yukine doesn’t seem bitter and angry at the start (though maybe you can argue he only became that way when he realized what he was missing). But the real reason Yukine feels so unsympathetic to me is because being dead really doesn’t seem like THAT much of a handicap here, sure Yukine's not having a great time right now but that's because Yato has no money and not because being a regalia inherently sucks.

Yukine complains about having no friends, but Yato and Hiyori are there for him even when he hurts them (even when he endangers their lives).
He complains about not having nice things and ultimately this leads to him stealing stuff… which Hiyori already offered to buy.
He gets angry and indignant when people accuse him of stealing, even when those accusations turn out to be 100% true. (Stealing a charity box, really?)

Basically he thinks living people are better off than him and he thinks it’s unfair so gets angry about it. But whilst he’s doing this he ignores everything that’s in his favour and forgets about everyone who has tried to help him. That’s his justification for his misdeeds.

So if he was still amongst the living what would be different? There would still be privileged people and life would still be unfair, so his motives aren’t exclusive to ghosts. Being dead just lead him to believe that he wasn’t accountable for his actions (turns out Yato is kinda lovely at that whole discipline thing, maybe he should've made up horrible stories about GHOST PRISON).

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Elite posted:

Feeling as though he missed out on life would be perfectly understandable but I don’t think the show really went with that angle. Certainly Yukine doesn’t seem bitter and angry at the start (though maybe you can argue he only became that way when he realized what he was missing). But the real reason Yukine feels so unsympathetic to me is because being dead really doesn’t seem like THAT much of a handicap here, sure Yukine's not having a great time right now but that's because Yato has no money and not because being a regalia inherently sucks.

Yukine complains about having no friends, but Yato and Hiyori are there for him even when he hurts them (even when he endangers their lives).
He complains about not having nice things and ultimately this leads to him stealing stuff… which Hiyori already offered to buy.
He gets angry and indignant when people accuse him of stealing, even when those accusations turn out to be 100% true. (Stealing a charity box, really?)

Basically he thinks living people are better off than him and he thinks it’s unfair so gets angry about it. But whilst he’s doing this he ignores everything that’s in his favour and forgets about everyone who has tried to help him. That’s his justification for his misdeeds.

So if he was still amongst the living what would be different? There would still be privileged people and life would still be unfair, so his motives aren’t exclusive to ghosts. Being dead just lead him to believe that he wasn’t accountable for his actions (turns out Yato is kinda lovely at that whole discipline thing, maybe he should've made up horrible stories about GHOST PRISON).

This is all pretty in line with how living teenagers act out. "He has something, and I want it. That's not fair. I'm going to cut class to smoke, and it's his fault." "Yeah, I punched her. She looked at me funny. What's wrong with that?" Yukine is acting immature, but that's because he is immature. Yukine probably would act just the same were he alive, he just would have slightly different excuses. There's a reason spoiled rich brats whine about how unfair everything is just as much as underprivileged brats.

edit: wow, substitute teaching has really soured me on teens.

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 3, 2014

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Believable or not, crying teenagers don't often make for entertaining stories.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I went to a high school in the poorer side of town and I have to say that window smashing wasn't uncommon. In fact, a lot of the first floor windows were reinforced.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Mar 5, 2014

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Episode 9/10 out.

Episode 10 Spoilers
Dang, sting a master ONCE and be un-named? Thats pretty harsh Tengin, although we saw last episode why its a important rule

Drutten
Mar 30, 2011
So the season's pretty much done already? That went fast. I really like this show, it feels sort of like a Japanese Sandman. It had some great moments, particularly the long suicide jump, the lost child who got corrupted, and when Kofuku got serious with Bishamon (and how Bishamon reacted -- it seems the Goddess of Poverty, though unflashy and decidedly un-warlike, would make for a nasty enemy).

It seems a bit late in the game to introduce an actual antagonist in the new god, but it's welcome anyway since the mindless phantoms never were very engaging as a threat. If anything, it's a hook for the next season. Here's hoping there is one.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

want dat hat

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Not really a fan of this episode. Hiyori's a great character who gets to both respond and drive the story, not this passive "oh no I have no idea what's going on" thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

Not really a fan of this episode. Hiyori's a great character who gets to both respond and drive the story, not this passive "oh no I have no idea what's going on" thing.

This arc is less about Hiyori and more about Yato though. Hiyori had her time to shine in the last few episodes, now its about Yato's past catching up to him and how he deals with them. I think this episode actually showed a lot of depth to Yato's character, with him deciding that it was actually in Hiyori's best interest to forget him. It could lead to him wanting to sever his ties with her even after getting her memories back because its just to dangerous to hang out with him (something that she will refuse no doubt).

Plus the episode had great animation, music, humor while at the same time getting pretty dark. The show does a good job at balancing the themes.

• Locked thread