Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Hiyori is the one who saved Yato and Yukine in the main arc of this season. Getting a little backstory of Yato is prefectly fine. I hope they pull it off well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I haven't been watching, but I do know that the anime has been going into anime original territory though it does sound like a condensed version of the next arc in the manga, which would have needed another season to be fully told properly.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I just simply started reading the manga. I don't really think I'm missing anything by skipping this 20-minute show at this point. The characters have been introduced, and I have a good idea of what's happening. It would be nice if the manga was further along. I never know if it's just a lack of translation or if the story really isn't that far ahead of the manga.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
In this case it's lack of translation. We're in vol. 6 at the moment, and there are raws up to vol. 10.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I tried to find in the manga where the anime is at, but the anime seems to be jumping ahead or around a bit and skipping stuff.
I really enjoy the show, was hoping for more than 13 episodes.
Weird how regalia need to be pure despite being human. Does Yato have all of Yukine's memories? I figured they'd reveal them at some point but since Yuikine already went berserk and then punished or whatever there's probably no opportunity for that anymore. Figured his memories would drive him over the edge, not being jealous of the living.

BrilliantFool
Jan 23, 2007

Bravo.

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

I tried to find in the manga where the anime is at, but the anime seems to be jumping ahead or around a bit and skipping stuff.
I really enjoy the show, was hoping for more than 13 episodes.
Weird how regalia need to be pure despite being human. Does Yato have all of Yukine's memories? I figured they'd reveal them at some point but since Yuikine already went berserk and then punished or whatever there's probably no opportunity for that anymore. Figured his memories would drive him over the edge, not being jealous of the living.

They actually hinted at something from Yukine's memories in the manga, where at the end of the purification rite Yato comments on how (minor manga spoilers) they both have daddy issues. I'd assume Yato does have Yukine's memories but doesn't really want to talk about them.

And the current plotline is anime original unless it's from the collection of Noragami sidestories that hasn't gotten fully translated yet.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Pretty good ending. I really hope there will be a second season and soon.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Did any of you feel tension in that final battle? It just seemed so pointless to me. No way anything will happen to the main characters at this point, since the manga is still on-going, kind of thing? Oh well. At least it looked nice and had spiffy music.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Action was always a weak point of this anime.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

darkgray posted:

Did any of you feel tension in that final battle? It just seemed so pointless to me. No way anything will happen to the main characters at this point, since the manga is still on-going, kind of thing? Oh well. At least it looked nice and had spiffy music.

It was a small mistake for them to end the show with a big battle (Also rushed, obviously filler.) when this isn't really a fighting series at all. The fight was nicely animated but mostly irrelevant just like almost every other fight in Noragami. Even so, it ended well. Crazy poverty god is still the best.

(I mean seriously, Yato's a God. What, is he going to train harder? Learn a new special move for next time? His fighting prowess doesn't matter at all except to the extent it tells us something about him, or Yukine.)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

madmac posted:

It was a small mistake for them to end the show with a big battle (Also rushed, obviously filler.) when this isn't really a fighting series at all. The fight was nicely animated but mostly irrelevant just like almost every other fight in Noragami. Even so, it ended well. Crazy poverty god is still the best.

(I mean seriously, Yato's a God. What, is he going to train harder? Learn a new special move for next time? His fighting prowess doesn't matter at all except to the extent it tells us something about him, or Yukine.)

Though there, it can be important in that it tells us where his priorities are and how he's feeling about this particular conflict. Fights in this are, as you say, character moments, not demonstrations of raw power, but that's what makes them important. The purpose here appeared to be to show that Yato can be just as deadly as his former incarnation minus the evil - he just has to get his priorities in order. In that sense, this completed his character arc in the show - he started out as an impoverished, questionably-competent goofball running away from his past, and his friends managed to let him come to terms with it and re-emerge as a functional, effective human being god. This happened in a big battle both because of the out-of-universe reason that this is anime, and the in-universe reason that he's a war-god (or, to be more specific, a sloppily re-branded god of calamity), so hitting things with a sword is an important part of who he is.

On an unrelated note, I did like that they didn't kill off Nora. That means that the show can still work with the rest of the manga, and thus opens the possibility of a second season. You're getting better at your anime-exclusive endings, BONES.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Has anyone watched the OAV? I just watched the first episode of it and um...that was certainly a thing. :stonklol:

Tenjin and Mayu in street clothes was fantastic. Kofuku spreading chaos was also pretty funny, but the divine possession thing crossed the line into creepy for me.

I hope the second episode isn't a beach ep or something equally horrible but it probably will be.

Oh well since I am finally done watching this show I can start reading the manga now. I noticed the other day that there's a short spin-off with Yato and Rabo as well, I haven't read it yet but I glanced at the first couple of pages and they're set in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The divine possession thing is sort of weird but its going to be pretty important later on. Its sort of funny that they introduce these key elements in a joking matter (like Yuki pricking Yato) and then add a more sinister element to it later.

Should probably watch the anime version, could be creepier than the mangas interpretation though.

• Locked thread