Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

OMG it's Liam Neesons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Holy poo poo it is the definite actual real Liam Neesons :aaa:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I feel hate crimed.

Talk about a hate gently caress.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 27, 2014

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

Brock Samson posted:

I miss Topher so much.

If you ever get to see real life Topher perf stand up, do it.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

And then I ate a whole cake!

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Of course, any proper educated stoner has played Settlers at least once in their life.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I was so worried I baked a cake.

then I ate a whole cake.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Broad City is so great.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Smeed posted:

If you ever get to see real life Topher perf stand up, do it.
His stand up that's aired on Comedy Central is loving hilarious. It was filmed in my city but I didn't get to go :( Really hope I get to see him next time he comes here because I love that dude's brand of comedy.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

His stand up that's aired on Comedy Central is loving hilarious. It was filmed in my city but I didn't get to go :( Really hope I get to see him next time he comes here because I love that dude's brand of comedy.

If you're talking about Chris D'elia his Comedy Central Presents is hilarious but I felt his hour long White Male Black Comic or whatever it was called was just so-so. Too much yelling, not enough jokes. I do hope we get another Topher episode though before the season is over.

As for Broad City, this show is great and Abbi and Ilana should be some sort of feminist role models. And I think the comparison to Workaholics created by women is really appropriate. Abbi fills the Anders role, she frequently plays the straight man to Ilana and seems to be slightly more grounded in reality. She takes life...slightly more seriously and even has personal and professional goals (attempting to date her neighbor, trying to teach a class at the gym). Ilana is a Adam/Blake composition where she's shown herself to be more depraved (especially in this nights episode in the park), does not give a poo poo about her job and generally seems to be floating through life with only the vaguest notion that she might succeed someday.
The setting is even appropriate because there's always been a romanticized version of NYC for struggling young people. If Workaholics is Entourage, Broad City is Sex and the City.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Nastier Nate posted:

If you're talking about Chris D'elia his Comedy Central Presents is hilarious but I felt his hour long White Male Black Comic or whatever it was called was just so-so. Too much yelling, not enough jokes. I do hope we get another Topher episode though before the season is over.
Yeah, Chris D'elia. I was referring to White Male Black Comic, but I've also seen his Comedy Central Presents thing, just longer ago so I don't remember it nearly as well, but I remember it being pretty funny too.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The Nastier Nate posted:

If Workaholics is Entourage, Broad City is Sex and the City.
I've heard Girls compared to Sex and the City as well. There can be only one!

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I didn't know this was the Broad City thread. Really like it so far. I'm pretty much watching Workaholics because it comes on before it. Glad it was picked up for a second season.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Yeah, Chris D'elia. I was referring to White Male Black Comic, but I've also seen his Comedy Central Presents thing, just longer ago so I don't remember it nearly as well, but I remember it being pretty funny too.

I thought White Male Black Comic was okay, but he did most of the same material for his tour and he was just another level of hilarious live.

I didn't expect to like Broad City as much as I do. While I've haven't laughed at it as hard as I did with the early Workaholics seasons it's definitely charming. Apparently Amy Schumer is a big part of the show and I can definitely see her influence.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Y-Hat posted:

As an Upper East Side resident, yes, I can tell you it's that stuck-up in real life. Also I hate it here and I hang out more in Brooklyn and Queens.

Yeah I've only been to NYC for a week but ventured into the UES on day and they nailed it. They nailed the whole city and vibe, which is pretty hard and a toooon of shows that are set in NYC just don't get it (mainly because they're filmed in an LA sound stage I guess. BC at least feels like it's mostly/fully show in NY?)

I think that was my favourite episode so far, it was really good. The mistrust of 'the cloud' because of dick pics was a great way to finish it up.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I didn't really like the first episode of Broad City, but have loved it since. I very much enjoy the light surrealism.

Anyone know what sort of dog Hannibal Buress was next to at the end of the most recent episode?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

I think that was my favourite episode so far, it was really good. The mistrust of 'the cloud' because of dick pics was a great way to finish it up.

For me it was the way she described the number as "I wanna say late twenties?"

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

Love the reappearance of Ilana's office pillow.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Wow, I now hate Gemberling's character more than ever.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

ARE YOU THE SECRET DUMPER BROWN EYES!?

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't know what the gay roommate's character's name is but he stole this show.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
We livin that Snypes life now.:colbert:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
John Gemberling is perfect for this show. He's such an rear end in a top hat.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Mar 6, 2014

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
"OI GUVNAH, I HAVE A HOLE IN MY WEENUS!"

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I love how Ilana's hair looked amaaahzing in her fantasy, that was a nice touch.

Haven't watched Workaholics yet, doesn't look like anyone in the thread did either though. Ouch.

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Someday I'll be a big producer on Broadway, and you'll be singin' your opera in the street with a tin cup in your hand!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Haven't watched Workaholics yet, doesn't look like anyone in the thread did either though. Ouch.

I think it might have been the worst episode they've made. I have enjoyed the current season more than most people, but last night's was bad.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I really love the idea that in some foreign country there's a kid naming his turtle nigga just so he can have someone he can be "cool" with. Hannibal's response was the perfect capper.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Illana's almost worship of Abbi is always funny to me.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
You gay, man.

Oh, right, yea I'm totally gay.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I love weddings most of all :smith:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Wait, Why was that a big deal?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

Wait, Why was that a big deal?

Illana's all about Abbi, even sexually experimenting. She's obsessed.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Workaholics was all right tonight. Nothing too spectacular but a decent watch none the less. I hope they ramp it up and put on some better episodes. My excitement to watch this show right away is waning every week. :(

Ghost Toast
Nov 4, 2005

Broad City has been so great. Glad to hear it's safe for another season. Gives me kind of an It's Always Sunny vibe with less of the main characters being 100% psychotic.

Hannibal Buress has been crushing it. The foreign gay roommate giving him a confession about his turtle's name, and Hannibal's laugh right at the end.

loving hilarious.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

God Mode posted:

Gives me kind of an It's Always Sunny vibe with less of the main characters being 100% psychotic.

Also the plot had quite a few similarities to The Gang Hits The Road too - putting people in the back of the truck, never getting to the destination etc.

Really great episode, and yet more instances of me being shocked at the places where they've been able to film on a (presumably) tight budget. I liked the 'Its 4pm, we'll never get a cab' line, just adds to the authenticity of it all.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I like how they're continuing to throw in strange little mini dramas in the show that go surreal. Like this bizarre "fallen comrades" thing with Hannibal unveiling the irony of him being left out.

Slightly surprised that they were so explicit about Ilana's infatuation with Abbi considering they were a little more sly about it before and just hinted at it. That said, this show's "gut punch" effect when Abbi or Ilana get heartbreaking news just kills me.

Ghost Toast
Nov 4, 2005

*fart*

"What's painfully ironic about this, is that I love weddings the most." :mmmhmm:

I love you Hannibal

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
That shot of the wedding was just so :smithicide: it almost felt out of place based on just how mean it was.

Then again, in the most 'Always Sunny' of Broad City episodes, it's not a surprise that it would have the most ASIP ending either I guess. It felt like they straight up lifted the idea + format from the Thundergun episode (and really nailed it, too).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Twee as gently caress posted:

That shot of the wedding was just so :smithicide: it almost felt out of place based on just how mean it was.

Then again, in the most 'Always Sunny' of Broad City episodes, it's not a surprise that it would have the most ASIP ending either I guess. It felt like they straight up lifted the idea + format from the Thundergun episode (and really nailed it, too).

Just caught the episode
It was Chescaleigh! But man, that was all kinds of weird, especially the super loving crazy incest plotline. I'm not sure if that was meaner than the wedding shot, but wow, was it painful.(Funny too, but painful nonetheless)

• Locked thread