Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Download here!

Awful Forum reader is an (Unofficial) Something Awful forum reader for Windows 8.

Features

- View threads
- View Bookmarks
- Make/Edit/Quote Posts
- Live Tile/Notification Support: Get Notifications on your bookmarked threads when they are updated.

I hate stable builds/Something is broken in the "stable" build, where the gently caress do I get the beta version?

Microsoft does not have beta program support for Windows 8 like it does for Windows Phone 8, so instead check out the Project.log
thread! I'll be putting more betas up there for those who want them. Of course, you can always compile the newest build yourself :v:.

Wait a second, I can help out!?!

But of course! This app is a community effort, so anyone can help out/put on their resume and be embarrassed later on when someone asks about it. The source code is open sourced on Github. Just send me your code and I'll get it in there! Even if you're not a programmer, I'm always looking for designers and graphic artists who can make design/UI decisions for me. Several Goons are already involved in this project, so :getin:

poo poo b' broken in (x), what the gently caress man'!

If something is busted (which it probably is), just let us know in this thread or the Project.Log thread for beta builds. You can also file bug reports on Github, or just annoy me in public on Twitter.

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Change Log

----
*Changed header heights for various pages.
*Fixed snapped mode view for the main forums page.
*Changes elements on the forum threads page.
*FYAD/YOSPOS now viewable.
*More changes to Unicode encoding when sending a post.
*Other smaller bugs fixed.

---
Fixed Unicode encoding issue when making posts.
Added message when user views a rap sheet/Post History which has no items.
Small interface tweaks.

---
First version on the store! Go us!

Known Issues
---
- Edit button appears for current user posts in Reply View. It should be hidden or take you to that posts edit page.

- FYAD is broken (Both as a forum and in the application). You can view posts but none of the buttons work. Turns out HTML is rendered differently in there :v:.

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jan 24, 2014

benitocereno
Apr 14, 2005

Doctor Rope
Hey thanks for this, it is pretty nifty :)

Two suggestions from a personal preference/design standpoint, I'm sure these are debatable:

1) Can the header for threads be a bit smaller? On a surface it takes up an awful (heh) lot of the vertical space. You could probably make it disappear once a user starts to scroll through a thread (could reappear with a swipe from the top/bottom, or maybe only appear the top of a page?)

2) Can the "jump to last known" page count thing be a fixed width in the forum view? My web-OCD goes crazy when threads with 1 new post have a smaller button/different padding than a thread with 1062 new posts.

Anyway, just some suggestions. Thanks again for doing this, it's an awesome first release!

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
Posted in the Windows thread saying I love this so far.

One thing I'd enjoy though for a future feature - is there a way to allow resorting of the forums? I'd love to have the subforums I frequent the most towards the beginning.

I know nothing about development so I have no idea if this is a feature that would be a pain in the rear end to implement, just a suggestion.

Thanks again!

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

It's been over a year since I was doing Windows Phone stuff for work. Hopefully that C#/XAML experience will translate over to metro apps. I guess I'll check out the project and see if I break anything! :buddy:

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

benitocereno posted:

1) Can the header for threads be a bit smaller? On a surface it takes up an awful (heh) lot of the vertical space. You could probably make it disappear once a user starts to scroll through a thread (could reappear with a swipe from the top/bottom, or maybe only appear the top of a page?)

I have a Surface Pro 2, and I personally think it's fine. Having said that, I'm always up for making adjustments to it. The swipe action though is probably going to be a "no" from me. It's probably possible (and certainty easier) to do if I was only using C# Xaml components, but because the threads are in a web view I would probably have to detect scrolling in that and fire off javascript to start retracting the top grid and... Yeah, I'm not sure. I'll keep it in mind though.

benitocereno posted:

2) Can the "jump to last known" page count thing be a fixed width in the forum view? My web-OCD goes crazy when threads with 1 new post have a smaller button/different padding than a thread with 1062 new posts.

This I can do. I'll just set a minimum width on the box and if you get an insane number of posts after a point, it will then get bigger.

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

One thing I'd enjoy though for a future feature - is there a way to allow resorting of the forums? I'd love to have the subforums I frequent the most towards the beginning.

This has always been on my list of things to do. I want you to be able to select threads on the main forum screen, click "add to favorites", and have them appear on the left side of the screen (like how subforums are displayed in the thread view). This is totally possible to do.

404notfound posted:

It's been over a year since I was doing Windows Phone stuff for work. Hopefully that C#/XAML experience will translate over to metro apps. I guess I'll check out the project and see if I break anything! :buddy:

Pull down my Github repo and go nuts! There are a bunch of us going at it right now. I've been meaning to set up sample data models to help with XAML development (so you don't have to load the app every time you want to see if something changed). I'll see about doing that this weekend and if you want to start there, go right ahead. I'm pretty relaxed on merges, so join in on the Project.log thread if you got anything you want to put in.

------

Version 1.2.0.26 has been released onto the store! I know, fast update.

The biggest fix was a mistake in Unicode encoding. When making a post, I would send it out after encoding all special characters. The problem was I would encoding single and double quotes, which is wrong. You would not see the issue in the app itself, but if you checked the actual site or edited the post later it could have caused some issues. Now the only characters encoded are special language characters.

I also added a logout button, which really should have been there from the start. I just never thought about it.

Lastly, there is now text if someone does not have any rap sheet item/can't see post history. There were also some small adjustments to layout elements and such.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

drasticactions posted:

I've been meaning to set up sample data models to help with XAML development
:swoon:

To be honest, I think we could do with the header being half the height.

What I'm mucking through right now is the snapped views for everything and getting them to work. Does anyone here have a preference on the snapped state being 500px (what it is right now) versus 320px?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Autumncomet posted:

What I'm mucking through right now is the snapped views for everything and getting them to work. Does anyone here have a preference on the snapped state being 500px (what it is right now) versus 320px?

I would be interested in knowing this as well. 320px was the default for Windows 8. You can still support it, but it's not the standard default anymore.

:frogsiren: NEW UPDATE DROPPED :frogsiren:

This one is pretty big as well. As suggested, we've made changes to the header/grid size!

You guys were right, it does look better. And holy poo poo does it show more stuff on the screen. The main forums page snapped view has also been changed, in that it should now work.

The size for the "Number of replies since last opened" is now fixed. It should look better now. The post menu also got some tweaks to it, so now it should be more aligned.

I've also updated, once again, Unicode support. Now it should not only support multiple languages in posts, but also when editing posts. You won't/should not see HTML Entities anymore! やったね!Emoji should also be supported when posting (🍕🍔🍖🍗🍘🍙)

The thread view was also updated again. FYAD should now "work", and threads with malformed HTML should not show extra crap at the bottom of threads.

We also got an official/unofficial endorsement from Lowtax!

Kazy made some really amazing promo images for us.

So download the new upload and let us know what you think! Keep those suggestions/bug fixes coming!

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
A couple suggestions for snapped mode:

-Refresh for Bookmarks.
-Having the poster info on top of the posts vs. on the side (the way AwfulBetamax has it)
-Similarly, on the Reply page, have the thread preview be on the bottom vs on the right side.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Rurutia posted:

A couple suggestions for snapped mode:

-Refresh for Bookmarks.
-Having the poster info on top of the posts vs. on the side (the way AwfulBetamax has it)
-Similarly, on the Reply page, have the thread preview be on the bottom vs on the right side.

We'll add the navigation menu to snapped view, that'll be the easiest one of the three.

As for the others, I'm thinking about how I'm going to handle the templates for snapped views. The full screen mode will be the same as the forums, when it's snapped it will switch. Obviously the snapped modes are a bit half baked at the moment (Really on the reply screen, where I made no effort yet to change it). It'll come in due course. I really want to get a better snapped mode for replies first, followed by rewriting the snapped mode thread template.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

drasticactions posted:

We'll add the navigation menu to snapped view, that'll be the easiest one of the three.

As for the others, I'm thinking about how I'm going to handle the templates for snapped views. The full screen mode will be the same as the forums, when it's snapped it will switch. Obviously the snapped modes are a bit half baked at the moment (Really on the reply screen, where I made no effort yet to change it). It'll come in due course. I really want to get a better snapped mode for replies first, followed by rewriting the snapped mode thread template.

If I was a programmer I'd help. v:shobon:v I feel bad just dumping suggestions and not being able to do much else but I really love the product. :)

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Rurutia posted:

If I was a programmer I'd help. v:shobon:v I feel bad just dumping suggestions and not being able to do much else but I really love the product. :)

Don't feel bad! The whole point of the thread is to improve the app! There are a bunch of features and designs missing right now. At some point, this had to come out on the store so people could use it and we could get more feedback on it, just like what you're doing right now.

All of the things you suggested are possible, and not that hard to do. I'm just trying to judge what's the best things to do first.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Irradiated Haggis
Dec 20, 2010
First let me say how ABSOLUTELY THRILLED I am by the existence of a Windows 8 App for SA! Seriously, my gratuitous use of capital letters inadequately conveys my appreciation.

I just wish there was something I could do besides beta test and report bugs. Sadly Pre-Nursing has ill prepared me for C sharp coding or app design. But seriously, is there anything useful that I can do to help?

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

As a person who likes metro stuff I am excited about the existence of this. Definitely trying it out as soon as I get home.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

soapgish posted:

A stray line. First time I've encountered it.

Could not reproduce it, but it's probably a CSS issue somewhere. I'll look into it.

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

As a person who likes metro stuff I am excited about the existence of this. Definitely trying it out as soon as I get home.

Hope you enjoy it!

Irradiated Haggis posted:

I just wish there was something I could do besides beta test and report bugs. Sadly Pre-Nursing has ill prepared me for C sharp coding or app design. But seriously, is there anything useful that I can do to help?

If you see an issue or want a request a feature, go right ahead! I can't really think of anything else beyond that.

---

I'm working on some stuff for the next update. The next week or so is going to be pretty busy for me, so I'll try to keep everyone updated whenever possible.

In case anyone is interested, here are the download stats so far:

benitocereno
Apr 14, 2005

Doctor Rope
Awesome, thanks for the update :)

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Please ban Canadian users. We just don't need them mucking things up.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Loving this so far, and I'm enjoying the layout improvements.

Feature request: swipe to go forward/back, like IE. To thread listing/thread, that is.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Awesome app - posting from it now on my Venue 8 Pro.

Looking forward to it getting even more better!

Thanks for making this.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I like the app (the rely window which I'm seeing for the first time now looks great). I'd like the ability to rearrange or collapse/hide forums on the main page, if there isn't one already that I haven't discovered. Keep up the good work!

Irradiated Haggis
Dec 20, 2010
So I just had my first crash. I'm running a Dell Venue 8 Pro 64 GB with a few components of Object Desktop installed, so maybe that's what's doing it.

I have NO idea how to properly submit a bug report, but here it is.

I had Metro IE open in one half, and Awful open in the other, and after closing out IE, true to it's name Awful froze, hung, then after about 5 seconds booted me back to Start.

Also I noticed that on small screens trying to Quote someone in half/half view makes the usable text window become really tiny, i.e. requires scrolling to get around. I recognize that there are priorities and all, and I really appreciate what you're doing, but did think you should know.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Irradiated Haggis posted:

So I just had my first crash. I'm running a Dell Venue 8 Pro 64 GB with a few components of Object Desktop installed, so maybe that's what's doing it.

I have NO idea how to properly submit a bug report, but here it is.

I had Metro IE open in one half, and Awful open in the other, and after closing out IE, true to it's name Awful froze, hung, then after about 5 seconds booted me back to Start.

Also I noticed that on small screens trying to Quote someone in half/half view makes the usable text window become really tiny, i.e. requires scrolling to get around. I recognize that there are priorities and all, and I really appreciate what you're doing, but did think you should know.

I could not reproduce that first crash, and I did not get a crash report from Microsoft. It might have been a view state change error? I'm not sure :shrug:.

As for your second issue, I'm taking care of that now.

I've rewrote the layout for the edit/reply screen so it should work better for snapped and full screen states. Of course, I need button icons still (if anyone would like to pick/make some, that would be great!), but everything else should be In place.

I'm also working on rearranging the inner thread/post layout to get away from the forums design. It'll probably be closer to how the iOS and Android Awful apps do it.

I've also added CSS changes for YOSPOS and FYAD:

The post buttons are animated when you roll over them :).

I've also make more CSS changes so things should be less broken for smaller, lower resolution devices.

I am working on more features mentioned in this thread as I write this.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
A new update for a new day:

New thread support is coming!

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Found some more encoding issues. Here's what the moonspeak in the post should look like:

Loving this app a lot though and am very excited to see its progress!

And posting this post from the app is really fun and intuitive :)

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick
I'm using the store version and I have a couple of requests which hopefully won't be too much of a bother to implement:
1. When reading a thread, instead of having the navigation/control buttons on the right, have them visible only when you swipe down or up from an edge, kinda like Metro IE.
2. Allow page navigation by swiping left and right
3. When a thread has been loaded, give focus to the thread display control. Currently, a button, sometimes the back button on the top left, or the refresh button on the right, seems to have focus when a thread's been loaded. So if you're busy reading and press the space bar to scroll down, it actually invokes the button instead
4. Have a setting somewhere to launch directly to the bookmarks view instead of the forum view.

Other than those the app is great!

fake edit: After typing out this post, I clicked Preview, and it seemed to do nothing for a few seconds until the preview box popped up with the preview rendered... maybe pop up the preview window as soon as the button is clicked and have the progress bar display until the preview response data comes back?

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The ability to hide forums or make them collapsible by category would be great.

Also the front page seems to be broken on my Dell Venue 8 Pro.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Found some more encoding issues. Here's what the moonspeak in the post should look like:

Umlaut's really suck. Every time I fix it for one set, another set seems to stop working. I'm determined to fix it.

beuges posted:

I'm using the store version and I have a couple of requests which hopefully won't be too much of a bother to implement:
1. When reading a thread, instead of having the navigation/control buttons on the right, have them visible only when you swipe down or up from an edge, kinda like Metro IE.

No. I originally had navigation controls there and people complained. I like having those on screen at all times. It keeps things consistent among the views.

beuges posted:

2. Allow page navigation by swiping left and right

Already stated that I'll try and add it at some point.

quote:

3. When a thread has been loaded, give focus to the thread display control. Currently, a button, sometimes the back button on the top left, or the refresh button on the right, seems to have focus when a thread's been loaded. So if you're busy reading and press the space bar to scroll down, it actually invokes the button instead

Okay, fixed it. I'll be in the next build.

quote:

4. Have a setting somewhere to launch directly to the bookmarks view instead of the forum view.

I still don't see a point in this, because if you quit the app on the bookmarks screen, it should bring you back there when you reload the app.

I mean, I can add it for when the app has to fully reload, but it's still only one button press away.

I'll think about it.

quote:

fake edit: After typing out this post, I clicked Preview, and it seemed to do nothing for a few seconds until the preview box popped up with the preview rendered... maybe pop up the preview window as soon as the button is clicked and have the progress bar display until the preview response data comes back?

This is fixed with the new builds, as a rewrote the layout for those pages.

soapgish posted:

I've gotten this a few times now, seemingly random sections blacked out.

Still can't reproduce it. If you go back to that page or reload it, do you still see it?

Call Me Charlie posted:

The ability to hide forums or make them collapsible by category would be great.

Also the front page seems to be broken on my Dell Venue 8 Pro.

It's broken in general, because they changed the HTML layout on the front page, which broke it. I'm planning on rewriting that whole thing anyway because it's a bit crap. I want to actually create an article viewer while I'm at it, so it does not redirect you out of the app.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Getting more features added, so I wanted to update everyone on what I've been doing:

* Fixed the Umlaut issue... I think. I'm hoping this fixes the rest of the encoding issues. As far as I can tell, what I've done has.

* Added launching straight to the bookmarks page. It was easy enough to add, so I did.

* Added favorited forum support! You can now set forums to appear on the left nav menu, same as subforums.

* Added mark as last read for posts!

I think I might push out a new release later this week with what I have. I'm working on fixing the frontpage stuff right now, and I might try and get some of these other requests in if I can.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

drasticactions posted:

Getting more features added, so I wanted to update everyone on what I've been doing:

* Fixed the Umlaut issue... I think.

Cool, will do some testing for sure :)

drasticactions posted:

* Added mark as last read for posts!

OH H*CK YES

Looking forward to the release :)

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Sorry for the lack of updates. Some job prospects and a few other things have been holding me back from getting another release out. So I'm releasing another beta!

Get it here. If you see any bugs, post them in that thread. It has all of the new features and bug fixes I've mentioned so far in this thread, as well as one brand new feature.

In the bookmarks view, unread threads will now float to the top of the list. When you read a thread and go back, it will go below the unread threads. I stole that feature request from the iOS Awful app thread and I gotta say, it's quite useful :).

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Hey man, just wanted to say thanks for this app! An Awful app was the one thing I was missing on my 8.1 tablet, now I can finally waste time on the forums without having to use IE :)

I was wondering how "synced up" the Windows Store app is with your latest versions? Should I just let the auto-update in Windows Store do its thing, or would it be better to grab the file from this thread?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Jose Pointero posted:

Hey man, just wanted to say thanks for this app! An Awful app was the one thing I was missing on my 8.1 tablet, now I can finally waste time on the forums without having to use IE :)

I was wondering how "synced up" the Windows Store app is with your latest versions? Should I just let the auto-update in Windows Store do its thing, or would it be better to grab the file from this thread?

Right now the store version is a bit different from the beta in Project.log, but I'm still cleaning it up to get it ready to submit it to the store (like adding icons for the new thread/edit/reply menus and such). It's really up to you as for which version to use, but know that I might not make betas before releasing to the store, and they don't auto-update.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
:frogsiren: NEW UPDATE SUBMITTED FOR VERIFICATION :frogsiren:

I got around to finishing up the loose ends of the trunk build, so I think it's now in a state where I can get a new build out to the store. Here are some more changes I've make since the newest beta build.

The Front Page has been fixed. I still don't have the article viewer ready, but now you can actually see what articles are on the front page.

The user profile view has also been updated. Now it looks less lovely.

The post history and rap sheet views were also updated, and should work and look a ton better.

"Mark as last post" now has a notification when it is finished, and also moves the thread view down to the next post.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Awesome, because maybe I'm just a dummy but I couldn't figure out how to install your working build in the project.log thread. How long does verification usually take?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Jose Pointero posted:

Awesome, because maybe I'm just a dummy but I couldn't figure out how to install your working build in the project.log thread. How long does verification usually take?

I got the verification email this morning, so it should be up right now! It should be pushed automatically or just check the store to see if there is an update.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Hope everyone is enjoying the new update. I've been pounding away at bug fixes and new features whenever I get the chance. The newest feature I just put into the trunk build is, I think, pretty cool, simple, and useful.

I added a filter box on the Smilies grid. Now when you are making a post, you won't have to search through the poo poo load of smilies available. Instead, just type!
I've been wanting to add it for a long time. Now I finally got around to doing it. :)

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Loving the app, but here's what I hope is a simple request. Is there any way to add an option to increase the font size in the app? As much as I love my Dell Venue 8 Pro, the text on some apps (like this one) are 3 times smaller than my phone displays text. Long-term reading becomes a headache after a while. Keep up the good work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Droid Washington posted:

Loving the app, but here's what I hope is a simple request. Is there any way to add an option to increase the font size in the app? As much as I love my Dell Venue 8 Pro, the text on some apps (like this one) are 3 times smaller than my phone displays text. Long-term reading becomes a headache after a while. Keep up the good work!

In the thread view itself, or everywhere in the app? I don't have one of the 8-inch tablets, so I don't know how it looks. I can add a font setting/enable zooming in for the thread view to make it bigger, but I don't think there is a way to do that app wide without having to edit every view I have support it.

I think it's totally possible but it'll take some time. I'll see what I can do :).

• Locked thread