Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

drasticactions posted:

In the thread view itself, or everywhere in the app? I don't have one of the 8-inch tablets, so I don't know how it looks. I can add a font setting/enable zooming in for the thread view to make it bigger, but I don't think there is a way to do that app wide without having to edit every view I have support it.

I think it's totally possible but it'll take some time. I'll see what I can do :).

It's mainly posts themselves. And thanks for looking into it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Yeah, it would be great to have adjustable fonts in the thread view; the text seems pretty small on my Latitude 10 as well. Really enjoying the latest version, by the way. I've had a couple crashes but it seems pretty solid overall. Keep up the awesome work! One minor gripe: adding the YOSPOS theme was a very welcome touch, but the highlighting on the last seen posts burns my eyeballs in there.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Jose Pointero posted:

I've had a couple crashes but it seems pretty solid overall.

Yeah, if the app crashes at any time, by all means post about it in here. As far as I know, the most common crash is a web exception error, because I'm not always catching if you don't have an internet connection and try to use the app. That's something I've been meaning to fix, because it should have always been there in the first place.

The other crash dumps Windows has given me are not very useful, so if you can get a reproducible error then let me know so I can fix it :)

And I'm going to change the themes around anyway, because they are a bit crap.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

It still needs some work, but I added the ability to increase/decrease the font size now. It will be persistant across all threads and you can reset it back if you want.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

I like this app for my tablet, I prefer it actually over using chrome to read the forums. One suggestion I would have though would be to have another option in the way bookmarks are displayed. Currently they display organized by number of new posts, I would rather sort by date of newest post. A minor thing, but it would be a good improvement.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Quantumfate posted:

One suggestion I would have though would be to have another option in the way bookmarks are displayed. Currently they display organized by number of new posts, I would rather sort by date of newest post. A minor thing, but it would be a good improvement.

That's how it was before the last update. I'm planning on making a filter list so you can sort it however you want. I'll whip up something soon.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Another update has been pushed out. This includes increasing the font size in threads, private message support, and the ability to select how your want bookmarks sorted. The UI should also be more responsive as well.

EDIT: And in case anyone is interested, here are the benchmarks so far on the app.

As of April 5th, 331 people have downloaded Awful Forums Reader so far, 17 of them are female.
There are more Unspecified gender users running Awful Forums Reader then females.
The majority of users are in America.
There is one preteen running the app. Which is surprising, considering I put a 16+ age limit on the app.
33 Users are above the age of 55.
Nearly everyone using this app is on a Laptop or Tablet. As far as I can tell, very few are using this on their desktops.

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 7, 2014

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Quoting appears to be broken in the latest Store version. It just loads a blank reply page instead.

Also I am one of those super spergs who has it on their desktop (I pin it to the side while I watch Netflix sometimes).

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

lelandjs posted:

Quoting appears to be broken in the latest Store version. It just loads a blank reply page instead.

I was refactoring code for that few and took it out by mistake. If you click on Last Post and click quote there it will work. I'll add it back.

EDIT: And I fixed it :v:.

Oh, and in case anyone is having issues with the app crashing when on a forums page. Don't worry, the next build will fix that.

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Apr 9, 2014

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
So I'm getting a new version ready to be released at some point. Mostly it's backend changes that should make it more stable, faster, and easier to maintain. But there is a pretty major change I'm working on, and that's completely changing how threads are shown.

Instead of using the forums HTML structure, I'm going to roll my own solution, just like how the other forums apps do it. As a result threads will actually look right when used in snap view.

User avatars and other post information will be above the post. The only buttons to survive at the bottom of posts are quote, mark as last read and edit. I'm still working on the CSS, but it's coming along. If anyone has any feature requests they really want in, speak up now.

I've also been building a Windows Phone version, so Awful Forums Reader will be a universal app.

Again, it's very much a work in progress and won't be anywhere near as complete as Awful.xap, but I just wanted to see if I could do it.

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 24, 2014

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!
Loving the app, I use it exclusively for SA now. The majority of the time I'm using it with a keyboard / mouse, and I had a couple requests if possible:

1) Ability to highlight and copy text / links
2) Ability to save pictures locally

I ran into wanting to do both of those things the other day. Keep up the great work.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

When did it change to "avatars-above-post" for widescreen viewing? There's a bunch of wasted space to the right of the posts and honestly it really breaks the flow of reading the thread.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Kazy posted:

When did it change to "avatars-above-post" for widescreen viewing? There's a bunch of wasted space to the right of the posts and honestly it really breaks the flow of reading the thread.

It changed when I wanted to make a Windows Phone version of the app, and finally fix snap view support (So, a few months ago). The old layout, as it were, was just the forums straight HTML tables with my stuff grafted on. The new stuff is me actually creating HTML and putting it into the web view.

You're right that it needs to be made more dynamic to adjust to different formats.

somethingwicked posted:

Loving the app, I use it exclusively for SA now. The majority of the time I'm using it with a keyboard / mouse, and I had a couple requests if possible:

1) Ability to highlight and copy text / links
2) Ability to save pictures locally

I ran into wanting to do both of those things the other day. Keep up the great work.

I'm not sure why you can't do both right now, since I'm not doing anything special to the web view to prevent it from using right clicks. I'm looking into it.

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle
There's weird issue on WP8.1 version where when I copy&paste password from 7Pass (Keepass client) on phone, some Chinese? Japanese? characters apparently get appended to the password and login fails. Same thing happens with username field but that's obviously easier to clean up.

It was bit of an effort to login as I use random passwords generated by Keepass with all kinds of punctuation.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Stubb Dogg posted:

There's weird issue on WP8.1 version where when I copy&paste password from 7Pass (Keepass client) on phone, some Chinese? Japanese? characters apparently get appended to the password and login fails. Same thing happens with username field but that's obviously easier to clean up.

It was bit of an effort to login as I use random passwords generated by Keepass with all kinds of punctuation.

That's weird. Does this happen in other 8.1 apps, or just mine? I mean, they are just text fields, I'm not sure mine are doing anything special that could cause issues there. I'll look into it though, it's really bizarre.

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

Drastic Actions posted:

That's weird. Does this happen in other 8.1 apps, or just mine? I mean, they are just text fields, I'm not sure mine are doing anything special that could cause issues there. I'll look into it though, it's really bizarre.
Looks like it's OS bug that manifests when you copypaste stuff from WP7 SL app to WP81 universal app. I'll post to actual WP thread with screenshots.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Just installed this, thanks for working on it. (Maybe I should try hacking on it some myself too, at some point.)

There's two things I noticed, in the current store version:
- Site notices (such as the current/recent notices about archives and search being down) break a bit, they show up as threads in the forum view, but trying to open them just gets a blank page. (They are not actually threads in the forum.)
- Opening a thread with a lot of big images somewhere into the middle of a page, e.g. from my bookmarks, makes the view jump a whole lot, and I'm not sure if it will ever return to the actual intended position. This is probably most easy to reproduce in a PYF thread, or many of the threads in The Dorkroom.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

nielsm posted:

Just installed this, thanks for working on it. (Maybe I should try hacking on it some myself too, at some point.)

There's two things I noticed, in the current store version:
- Site notices (such as the current/recent notices about archives and search being down) break a bit, they show up as threads in the forum view, but trying to open them just gets a blank page. (They are not actually threads in the forum.)
- Opening a thread with a lot of big images somewhere into the middle of a page, e.g. from my bookmarks, makes the view jump a whole lot, and I'm not sure if it will ever return to the actual intended position. This is probably most easy to reproduce in a PYF thread, or many of the threads in The Dorkroom.

Those announcement pages are intentionally broken at the moment, because the parsing for them is different than a standard thread post and I never got around to adding it in. Really I should just hide them until I do so...

The image/scrolling issue is because I set the post to the last read post right when the page loads. Technically it should only happen after the page fully loads, but sometimes it seems to do it right away before the images have gotten a chance to fully load. Hence why is loses its place.

The trunk build on Github should have some of these (and other) issues fixed, I've just been distracted by other projects to get everything I want fixed for a new build. I'll try to do so soon.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Is it me, or did jump-to-page disappear an update or two ago? Right around the time of the last UI reorganizing. On a few threads (e.g. in Let's Play or any thread with an informative OP), I find it pretty critical to control which page I go to independent of Last Read, and I can't find a way to do it other than to mash "Go back a page" an unknowable number of times.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Factory Factory posted:

Is it me, or did jump-to-page disappear an update or two ago? Right around the time of the last UI reorganizing. On a few threads (e.g. in Let's Play or any thread with an informative OP), I find it pretty critical to control which page I go to independent of Last Read, and I can't find a way to do it other than to mash "Go back a page" an unknowable number of times.

It did, I have to add it back.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

This post in the coding horrors thread breaks the layout of the app. Looks like it might be some raw HTML injection there!

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

nielsm posted:

This post in the coding horrors thread breaks the layout of the app. Looks like it might be some raw HTML injection there!

Oops. In an attempt to fix HTML Agility Pack fixing "broken" HTML, I encoded the elements by mistake :doh:.

Sorry about that, I fixed it.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
While I've been in Seattle, I've been adding new features that hopefully you all will like.

I'm going to be adding profiles back with the next update, because some other things I did broke them so I had to take them out. They should be fixed and will also be added for Windows Phone 8.1.

Also, I'm adding search

Right now I just have user names, but I'll be adding actual post searching soon, just as long as the forums hold up.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Is anyone else having an issue on the phone app where it takes you to the bottom of the next page when you tap the next page arrow?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I noticed you added the swipe down menu with the refresh on snapped Bookmarks. Any way to refresh on pulldown instead?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Rurutia posted:

I noticed you added the swipe down menu with the refresh on snapped Bookmarks. Any way to refresh on pulldown instead?

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Maybe, but probably not. WinRT does not support pull to refresh natively. If you ask Microsoft about it, their design docs say it's not supported and not to use it. So if I want to add it, I have to come up with my own solution.

Now, of course, Microsoft developed apps, like Twitter and Facebook, do offer such functions. So they break their own guildlines on this stuff, because people actually do want and expect those controls. Go figure. But they won't give them out to the rest of us, so I still have to make my own solution. I don't really want to, because if they make changes to XAML and the framework, there is a good chance whatever I come up with will break. I would much rather have a first-party solution to the problem, rather than go in alone.

So what I'm saying is, blame Microsoft.

Sri.Theo posted:

Is anyone else having an issue on the phone app where it takes you to the bottom of the next page when you tap the next page arrow?

It's probably firing the "scroll to last post" script again on next page. I think it's fixed in Trunk, but I'll go look at it again.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Is it possible to have a "jump to last post of thread" button? You can sort of do it by manually entering in the page number but if you implement it at the list of threads level, it saves loading up one page then having to manually type the last page one loaded.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Found a crash bug with a 5/5 repro rate: if I open a thread, hit Last Read on a post, then quickly hit the back button to return to the Bookmarks view and select another thread before the toast appears, the app will crash.

Also, a small feature request: include the current page number/page selector when using the app while snapped or in portrait mode. If space is a concern, maybe put it in the context menu? It doesn't seem to be used for anything besides the font size controls at the moment anyways.

Thanks for the app, it makes using the forums a lot easier when I'm using touch input. :)

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

isndl posted:

Found a crash bug with a 5/5 repro rate: if I open a thread, hit Last Read on a post, then quickly hit the back button to return to the Bookmarks view and select another thread before the toast appears, the app will crash.

Also, a small feature request: include the current page number/page selector when using the app while snapped or in portrait mode. If space is a concern, maybe put it in the context menu? It doesn't seem to be used for anything besides the font size controls at the moment anyways.

Thanks for the app, it makes using the forums a lot easier when I'm using touch input. :)

Probably crashing because it did not finish the request. I'll take a look.

And I totally forgot about those views! I need to refactor those views anyway (some views don't have access to all those buttons, which they should) so I'll be sure to put that everywhere.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Seconding the page indicator on vertical views. I'm also missing a button to add a thread to bookmarks.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

nielsm posted:

Seconding the page indicator on vertical views. I'm also missing a button to add a thread to bookmarks.

You should be able to hold down on a thread in the thread list and select "add to bookmarks". I can it to the thread view itself too.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Hitting 'Go To Last Post On Page' results in an instant crash if the thread hasn't loaded yet. :v:

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

isndl posted:

Hitting 'Go To Last Post On Page' results in an instant crash if the thread hasn't loaded yet. :v:

Because it's fixed in the Windows Phone version, forgot to backport it to Windows 8. It'll get fixed too at some point.

AstuteCat
May 4, 2007

Hey! great work on this app so far, I'm an another-phone-OS refugee and it's awesome to see an awful forums app being actively developed :D

Found a small bug for the login screen on the windows phone 8.1 version -- I use lastpass for my password management, which means I copy and paste the password in - it looks like the field isn't figuring out that its data has changed when your paste the password in (maybe an event not registered somewhere on that control?), so it errors out with wrong username/password.

I'm gonna check out the source at some point over the weekend and have a little poke around if that's cool - I'm a desktop .NET developer by trade and I moved to a WP in order to have a phone I can tinker with -- contributing to an app that I actively use seemed like a neat thing to do :)

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

AstuteCat posted:

Hey! great work on this app so far, I'm an another-phone-OS refugee and it's awesome to see an awful forums app being actively developed :D

Found a small bug for the login screen on the windows phone 8.1 version -- I use lastpass for my password management, which means I copy and paste the password in - it looks like the field isn't figuring out that its data has changed when your paste the password in (maybe an event not registered somewhere on that control?), so it errors out with wrong username/password.

The last pass thing is an OS level bug with pasting from wp7 apps to WinRt ones. It puts in garbage characters at the end.

As for the source, yeah, go nuts! I'm open to all pull requests.

AstuteCat
May 4, 2007

Drastic Actions posted:

The last pass thing is an OS level bug with pasting from wp7 apps to WinRt ones. It puts in garbage characters at the end.

As for the source, yeah, go nuts! I'm open to all pull requests.

ahaa, I see... good jorb microsoft~

also thanks :D I can't say that I know enough about store/phone apps and such to necessarily do anything just yet, but it's a good place to start tinkering I reckon.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
Oh hey, I never knew there was a Win8/phone forums app.

I use my lil' Dell Venue 8 Pro almost exclusively for reading the forums to go to sleep (you're all really boring).

Is there a way to view all posts by a particular user in a thread? Would make reading Let's Plays a lot easier.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
Odd bug, but the app consistently crashes every time I try to load the We Do It For The Inhalants - Scale Modeling Thread' in DIY & Hobbies.

Other threads in that subforum are fine. Can anyone else reproduce?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Jeherrin posted:

Odd bug, but the app consistently crashes every time I try to load the We Do It For The Inhalants - Scale Modeling Thread' in DIY & Hobbies.

Other threads in that subforum are fine. Can anyone else reproduce?

JavaScript bug, which is being thrown and crashing the whole app. Need to add the fix to the Windows version...

See a trend emerging here? :v: I should have a new version out with these issues fixed, as well as favorite forum support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Just in case anyone thought Awful Forums Reader was dead...

It's not. I'll have more on it later, but basically I'm refactoring everything; Removing elements that no one ever used (The front page function), fixing ones that should have always worked (background tasks, tile notifications) and adding really nice stuff that no other (currently under development) Awful app has.

Thread tabs make me very happy :)

• Locked thread