Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
The Chase?
This poll is closed.
Augh 46 32.39%
gently caress 96 67.61%
Total: 142 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

NASCAR Sprint Cup Series (Schedule)

NASCAR’s premiere series is the Sprint Cup. This is the big leagues. Sprint Cup is host to 36 races and the biggest events on the schedule, such as the Daytona 500. Sprint Cup is also the land of the Chase for the Cup, a total crap idea of a championship system that doesn’t have any place in auto racing ever god drat it NASCAR. And this year, it gets even worse! The Top 10 drivers in points after 26 races earn a Chase spot, and the drivers with the most wins outside the top 10 (but within the top 20) will get the last 2 berths. The points are then reset by most wins, and the top 12 have at it until the season ends. A New Championship Format!!!

Drivers:

NASCAR Nationwide Series (Schedule)

The Nationwide Series (formerly the Busch Series) is NASCAR’s secondary series, where most Cup drivers pass through before they make full-time rounds in the big show. Nationwide is home to upcoming rookies, washed-up old-timers, and Cup drivers with nothing better to do on Saturday (who will invariably win most of the races). Fortunately, this year is looking to be different, with a talented crop of young drivers running the series full-time in search of a championsh- what? Kyle Busch is running most of the races? Never mind, then.

NASCAR Camping World Truck Series (Schedule)

The Truck Series is essentially a step down from Nationwide. They race trucks! It’s pretty swell. The racing also tends to be better than the Cup races on any given week (link Gale/Busch). Much like Nationwide, there will be plenty of Cup drivers bullying their way in to pick up wins, but less so here, but there will also be plenty of young drivers here too looking for a championship to kickstart their career.

ARCA Racing Series (Schedule)

ARCA is not a NASCAR series, but many drivers will pass through on their path of progression. However, given ARCA’s minor-minor-minor league status, the drivers tend to be... not as talented. This is especially evident at big tracks like Daytona (link wrecks). We’ll tune in here every now and then.

Stuff: (more later)

Click here for IRC

:siren: This is not the Indycar thread go to the Indycar thread if you have poo poo to say about Indycar!!!:siren:

kidcoelacanth fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

So, first, an announcement: I will be stepping down from running bingo. If anyone wants to take up the lead on that, feel free, but I'm done with it. Prizes and everything got to be too much to keep up with. I would suggest making a Bingo/SASCAR fantasy sports thread in TAQ that I can link in the OP.

kidcoelacanth fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 23, 2014

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
NASCAR should learn a thing or five from Orange County Fair Speedway.

quote:

For qualifying, drivers will draw for their starting positions upon entry to the speedway. Heat-race finishes utilizing staggered passing points will be calculated to set the redraw participants and qualified cars from 10-lap heat races. Consolations, 10 laps each, will set the remainder of the 28-car starting field via their order of finish. The heat-race finish/passing point combination will set the starting lineups for the consolations.

The passing points system, new to Modified racing but widely used in other forms of racing including Sprint Cars and the famed ‘Chili Bowl’ in Tulsa, Okla., aims to satisfy the desires of both racers and fans by easing the consequences of a poor draw for competitors and providing heat-race excitement for fans.

Rules for the open comp event in March. That's the proper way to improve qualifying in the off season.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

You got Justin Allgaier and James Buescher confused. Allgaier has like 8 truck starts.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Personperson14 posted:

You got Justin Allgaier and James Buescher confused. Allgaier has like 8 truck starts.

I literally don't give a gently caress :cool:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Goodbye, old thread. Hello, new thread.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

kidcoelacanth posted:

Motto of this season right there.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Is this where I can post my Harry Gant fanfic?

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
Why is there a fanfic about Harry Gant? (Yes please do it right here)

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

In 1984 Bobby Allison won a belt buckle when he won the Winston Cup. Can Jimmie Johnson say that? :smug:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

kidcoelacanth posted:

So, first, an announcement: I will be stepping down from running bingo. If anyone wants to take up the lead on that, feel free, but I'm done with it. Prizes and everything got to be too much to keep up with. I would suggest making a Bingo/SASCAR fantasy sports thread in TAQ that I can link in the OP.

KIDC DO WE COUNT KIDC FOR STEPPING DOWN BINGO?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Peanut President posted:

KIDC DO WE COUNT KIDC FOR STEPPING DOWN BINGO?

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

I don't know what shocked me more: JMac having won 7 times, or the being reminded that Ryan Newman won 8 races one year because the Penske cars had insane fuel mileage

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

Haha excellent OP, kidc - I like to think the season begins with "augh" and ends with "gently caress."

Love the Dave Blaney car, too.

COME ON!

NASCAR!

RACERS!

PatrickBateman
Jul 26, 2007
Are we there yet?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

LASTCAR posted:

Haha excellent OP, kidc - I like to think the season begins with "augh" and ends with "gently caress."

Love the Dave Blaney car, too.

COME ON!

NASCAR!

RACERS!

There had better be a starting grid this year for Daytona, Goon sir. :colbert:

SPiTZ
Aug 9, 2004
Joe Nemechek has 4 career wins? Holy balls.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

FuzzySkinner posted:

There had better be a starting grid this year for Daytona, Goon sir. :colbert:

mmmmmmmaybe--- ;)

In the meantime, there's still this.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
NASCAR.gif :gooncamp:

SPiTZ posted:

Joe Nemechek has 4 career wins? Holy balls.

Smokin' Joe. And what a last win he had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_2iWcwQ6I0

fake edit: I didn't realise he was the '92 Grand National champ beating Gordon and Bobby Labonte. :lol:

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jan 23, 2014

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

So basically, this is now a sim?

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o

Dudley posted:

Is THAT where they got the idea of the F1 Kart racing game from? And is that supposed to be Carl Edwards on the far left?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

Dudley posted:

In tonight's episode Jeff Gordon will be played by Lord Farquad.

edit: We need the NASCAR Racers video, DAYTONA video, and this video in the op:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuSxg4I1WQU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Nemechek's four wins:
-1999 NHIS
-2001 Rockingham (Fall)
-2003 Richmond (Spring)
-2004 Kansas:

LordPants posted:

fake edit: I didn't realise he was the '92 Grand National champ beating Gordon and Bobby Labonte. :lol:

That's one of those finishes where I went "Uhh...umm...uh...Oh God WHO DO I PULL FOR?"

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

Nemechek's four wins:
-1999 NHIS
-2001 Rockingham (Fall)
-2003 Richmond (Spring)
-2004 Kansas:

That's one of those finishes where I went "Uhh...umm...uh...Oh God WHO DO I PULL FOR?"

Were good finishes at 1.5 rare like that?

I seem to recall TMS having some really good cup dates for a while.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

LordPants posted:

NASCAR.gif :gooncamp:

If NASCAR ever needs proof they've hosed up the on track product with their new cars there is the video evidence. Watching that video the most amazing thing to me wasn't that Joe Nemechek won but the ability for those cars to race like that side by side. I forgot that side by side was a thing, that's how long the racing has been bad. I've been saying, aw its not so bad, its not that bad and now here I am longing for a race at loving Kansas.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Were good finishes at 1.5 rare like that?

I seem to recall TMS having some really good cup dates for a while.
I think Atlanta had a reputation for a little while in the early 2000's for ending up with a side by side finish more times than not too.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the racing at Atlanta and Texas was really good for a while in the late 90s, and early 00s. I'd say 2003-or-so is when it started getting a bit bad on the intermediates- maybe the common template was the culprit?

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

bigbillystyle posted:

I think Atlanta had a reputation for a little while in the early 2000's for ending up with a side by side finish more times than not too.

Didn't Harvick's first win after Dale died come at Atlanta in a drag race to the line with Jeff Gordon?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Kwik posted:

Didn't Harvick's first win after Dale died come at Atlanta in a drag race to the line with Jeff Gordon?

Yes. And up until only a few laps left, there were 3 other people in contention to win as well. A nice little group of cars racing for the lead in the last 10 laps before Harvick and Gordon broke away.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Kwik posted:

The previous year was a win for Dale in the exact same scenario against Labonte

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Then in 2004 Edwards got his first win against Johnson.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
That'd be 2005, an innocent time where I actually liked Carl Edwards.

2005 was really a fantastic season- all three series were so watchable that year. Maybe the last actual good year of Busch/Nationwide.

elmono311
Apr 30, 2007

Every kiss begins with Kahne
I loved noticing in the OP Danica finished 27th in points after running all 36 races while Stewart finished only two spots behind her in 29th and ran in only 21 races.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

kidcoelacanth posted:

This would be a better thread title. But I'm sure by summer the sentiment will be even stronger.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

Peanut President posted:

In tonight's episode Jeff Gordon will be played by Lord Farquad.

I was thinking Quentin Tarantino myself.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Kinda surprised Almirola got a cup seat, he's not that good is he?

Danica: "The Future of Our Sport" :buddy:

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

Sorry to hear you won't be bingoing this year, kidc. I'd volunteer to step in, but I'm now going to school full time and working basically full time. It's definitely one thing I'll miss about the season.

...my driver retired, why am I coming back for seconds?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Elitist Bitch posted:

Sorry to hear you won't be bingoing this year, kidc. I'd volunteer to step in, but I'm now going to school full time and working basically full time. It's definitely one thing I'll miss about the season.

...my driver retired, why am I coming back for seconds?

Well, your driver is Mark Martin, so nothing is certain, really.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

kidcoelacanth posted:

Except not having a chance at another win.

gret fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 24, 2014

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

kidcoelacanth posted:

Except embarrassment for his sake.

Please stop racing, Mark, it's already embarrassing enough publicly wearing your stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
So, wait. Let me make sure I have this correct.

Danica Patrick, despite all the hype and flimflammery and enormous amounts of attention the media pays to her, cameos in racing games, all that bullshit--she has NEVER won a race?

• Locked thread