Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
The Chase?
This poll is closed.
Augh 46 32.39%
gently caress 96 67.61%
Total: 142 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

kidcoelacanth posted:

I literally don't give a gently caress :cool:

This would be a better thread title. But I'm sure by summer the sentiment will be even stronger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

Well, your driver is Mark Martin, so nothing is certain, really.

Except embarrassment for his sake.

Please stop racing, Mark, it's already embarrassing enough publicly wearing your stuff.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

http://racing-reference.info/driver/Danica_Patrick

26th-27th in cup.

She wasn't terribly bad in Indycar. At least ~70% of the time she at least finished on the lead lap when she finished (and she only failed to do so 12/115 times, which isn't bad)

Compare that to her NASCAR stats where she's failed to finish 20% of the time, and only been on the lead lap at the finish ~40% of the time when she did finish. But she has only finished on lead lap in cup in 13 of her 46 starts.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Peanut President posted:

If they're doing it at a bigass football stadium or whatever then it can be really fun. If they're doing it at a hockey arena it'll be terrible because they can't get up to speed.

Only at a football stadium (or larger) will you see one jump for 40 yards, and then bounce off to flip through the air for another 30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_p8W2i3WT4
2:20 in

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Finally a championship for Junior :unsmith:

For the next 20 years :smith:

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

BMB5150 posted:

They have to attempt all races. So that ain't happening.

Attempt to qualify

e; :argh:

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

More cringing than laughing.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

BMB5150 posted:

This is an interesting read about the dangers of and CTE that is plaguing NFL could be going around racing, specifically NASCAR.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/features/slipping-away-65-6-roa0214

It makes sense, but given how little NASCAR cares about such a thing (until someone like Gordon, Earnhardt, Elliot, etc get it), not expecting anything to come of it. Hell, Boxing is still plenty of a thing as it has been for years, and that's a sport of literally beating the other guy braindead.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

You made me go to youtube.

What in the gently caress is this poo poo?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmIcW92Ejew

Edit: Oh, this is some iphone crap.

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Feb 3, 2014

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

elmono311 posted:

We all said that for the new Cup bodies, too.

They still look good, regardless that they race like poo poo.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

http://www.wheels.ca/news/danica-will-only-win-in-nascar-sprint-cup-if-shes-by-herself-richard-petty-says/

Richard Petty laying down some :iceburn:

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Someone should request that he comply with their request to put it back up except with this

BMB5150 posted:

a sound bite of after you hit and fall and hear DW saying "I hope Dale is ok."

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

If it is them? Wow, that's low.

Not for their standards. It honestly wouldn't surprise me.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Why yes, this seems much safer than pushing...

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Slickdrac posted:

Why yes, this seems much safer than pushing...

As much as I'd like not to emptyqoute what I just said, Jesus gently caress.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Busch wins, I ain't even mad

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

CactusWeasle posted:

Help me out here

Forget bingo, after the two races this weekend, we need a drinking game.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

How do you gently caress up a setup that bad?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Well, JGR is gonna win this, just a matter of which one.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Dijkstra posted:

Two tickets in turns 3/4 and 2 track passes for $88 is actually a pretty good deal. :shobon:

Would have sucked for them if McMurray won.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Why do they keep making the tires harder and harder? That's just murdering the grip, and making it so they don't ever wear (because they aren't gripping at all).

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

That's a given. But what batshit justification do they even try and give for it? I've not heard much of the lunacy they've said about the tires.

Also, I wonder how much slower the speeds would be if you slapped these tires onto a cup car from the 90s compared to what they ran on those tires.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Put Wahd Buhton in the booth.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-me...ay-weekend.html

Busch is gonna do the double :getin:

Also, Martin is the relief driver in case, so let the Martin whining continue.

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 4, 2014

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

LordPants posted:

Don't know what I think about Carl Edwards, two time champ though.

The obvious thought to have about that is neigh. :colbert:

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Elitist Bitch posted:

I saw this today and laughed a little. It's kind of old, but the comment about "This is gonna make TMZ." just made me laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Pt5D9QoB20

Those Stewart lines are while she was actually part of his team? That's hilarious.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Shadow Puppet Of posted:

Its right to blame him. Sorry for the tired comparison, but look to the NFL. Their problem is that watching the game at home is much better than any average game. For Nascar, its much worse to watch it on TV. The broadcasts are a chore and and you are less informed than if you were in a grandstand with a radio, or even just a view of the scoring tower. How the gently caress did the new position ticker get approved? Run through a 43 car field 5 at a time, slowly? Its 2014, stop framing the drat picture for the last few bumpkins using OTA to CRT converters and use the entire 16:9 frame.

You could take some of the space and do some interesting infographic work the a 10 lap final chase by displaying the difference between the first and second car's time spent with the gas pedal down. Actually visualize the second place driver's desperation to beat out the aero problems. But instead of even that likely bad idea, you get DW running down his laundry list of "hes haulin' the mail" metaphors and super tight camera shots that don't portray the closing distance.

I got two simple little things they can do that would dramatically increase the quality of the on screen product

1: ZOOM...THE gently caress...OUT! It's bad enough you need to take up half the real estate with all your stupid popups and info graphics "poo poo no one cares about, sponsored by Ram". But why does it feel like I'm watching a dozen or less cars racing on the track? Can I watch more than one person at a time go around? I assume there are others on track. Why can't I watch them race for 5th on the right side of the screen while you talk about the leader who's just running in a circle with nothing interesting happening around him?

2: SHUT...THE gently caress...UP! Racing is by it's nature exciting (on those rare occasions we actually see folks racing, and not just "I have the only line in the corner that goes anywhere" bullshit). Feed me the play by play of it, that definitely doesn't hurt the excitement, and sometimes makes it better. But color commentary is just completely out of place in racing. If I wanted to listen to nonsensical, barely coherent ramblings that kill any moment and bring your brain to a screeching halt while it tries to figure out what the gently caress that guy just said, I'd go to a family reunion and hang around my drunk uncles.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

tater_salad posted:

It's almost like fans are tired of watching race after race on the same track in different locations.

Also maybe its becaus fox broadcasting sucks donkey Dick, commercials within commercials, DW, having to watch the action after the commercial because ill be damned if it doesn't feel like 30% of the race is commercials. (Breaks away from commercial to show crash, goes back to more commercials, shows pit stops, more commercials, 5 min of green flag with the budwiser acdelco top movers, then more commercial.

But at least they have the side by side so you don't miss any action*

*assuming you have an 80+ inch tv so the box is larger than a postage stamp.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

There's a thought as well. Why not limit driver/team pairing to one series? So KyBu can only drive for Gibbs in the Cup series, if he wants to do NW, he has to do it with a different team. If he wants to run Trucks, he has to do that with a different team from Cup or NW.

Granted, it's just going to result in more proxy teams, but at least that breaks up the communication lines a bit between driver and team(s) so you don't have the exact same team unit for all 3 races in a weekend for a driver.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

BMB5150 posted:

what's not to say Kyle Busch moves his team into the JGR garage, hires the same exact guys as Gibbs, and etc...

They could, but it leads to two possibilities.

A. Gibbs/Hendrick/Roush just completely removing their own teams as they are now from the other series and racing completely proxy through other NW/Truck teams

B. A Gibbs/Hendrick/Roush proxy team with the A-listers on it, and a Gibbs/Hendrick/Roush proper team with folks purely running that series in it.

Potential B offshoot: Cup Roush drivers driving for Gibbs in NW and vice versa or some such.

I don't think the egos of the big teams leaders could take not having their name on the team in the lower levels, so B is more likely. Which would, besides a few odd cases of that criss-crossing, lead to non cup drivers ending up in the higher end cars at a much better rate. Which should make the racing more like the older days when it was kind of split between regulars and cup drivers winning races.

At least, assuming that the talent pool is deep enough. It is more an equipment issue that's the biggest part of the disparity between the cup drivers and the regulars, isn't it?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

I can't figure out if this is awful or amazing. Either way, I want to see it happen.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

bigbillystyle posted:

Ok fair point on the Knicks but I thought the Yankees and Giants came as a buy one get one sort of thing. I've had very good luck as a fan in the past decade or so myself being from Massachusetts. Since I don't really care about baseball I can give you a pass on being a Yankee fan Viking, the Devils though? Gross.

Boston/New England fans are never allowed to allow any New York team a pass in any case. :colbert:

Though I'm just happy other fans of hockey exist.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

SpitztheGreat posted:

Can someone explain to me what Denny's "medical exemption" means?

That the NASCAR rulebook continues to not actually exist?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Good call on the drugs though, guys :v:

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

I expect a full recovery once the date changes.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

As much as a caution really sucked right there, we'd be all up in arms if they didn't throw it and it caused either a big wreck, or took out the leaders.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

mearn posted:

Terry Labonte's last few years have been going on for like a decade longer than they should have but I think he might finally be done this year.

Bobby too. Aren't they both mercifully fully retired now?

Shadow Puppet Of posted:

As someone that only started watching regularly during the last years of the Dale Jarrett era, meaning I was there for Race the Truck but nothing before it. It was very confusing to see all the hubub over a guy that was invisible outside of commercials. I chalked it up to a case of Cheapest Available Dale.

My world went back to normal after UPS brought in David Ragan who nobody gave a tangible gently caress about.

"Race the truck" was both awesome, and puzzling at the lack of sponsorship in the truck series.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

JUST loving LEAVE poo poo ALONE FOR MORE THAN A YEAR

christ

Incoming Gen7 car

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

I was gonna make a Hamlin joke, but I'm just gonna back out of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

anotherblownsave posted:

This finish will probably be awesome

Understatement?

• Locked thread