Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

goethe gear xx posted:

Regarding buying extra builders: I'm at TH8 with 3 builders, and even though the tesla upgrades I've got going take a week (or 8 days, it's been so long I've forgotten), there's one builder sitting idle because I don't have enough resources to upgrade anything else. A few times over the course of the year or so I've played this there have been several times I thought I'd just pony up real cash for a fourth builder, now I'm glad I didn't. Not saying it's a huge investment, just that the fourth builder would've always been idle.

Maybe it's worth it at lower TH levels or if you're a really active player, I don't know!

I'm in the same position as you, but I always keep thinking about gemming to get a 5th builder. Also, I'm at TH9, where upgrades take as long as 1-2 weeks, and I'm usually at the circumstance where I don't have any resources to upgrade anything even if I have an idle builder.

I don't really think it's worth it (to get a 5th builder, at least). But for a 4th builder, it may be a consideration since it's easier to get a 1000 gems than 2000 by hacking trees/bushes with the slow regeneration that occurs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
Clash Of Clans: It's All About Gemming Bro

goethe gear xx
Sep 17, 2004

faustoo

Dancing Peasant posted:

I don't really think it's worth it (to get a 5th builder, at least). But for a 4th builder, it may be a consideration since it's easier to get a 1000 gems than 2000 by hacking trees/bushes with the slow regeneration that occurs.

Hilarious story about that: I accidentally blew half my gems, at least 250, on hurrying a completely inconsequential build!

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Finally making get move to tH8. Can't wait.

xarg
Sep 17, 2008

IF A MAN DRINK LIKE THAT AND HE DONT EAT HE IS GOING TO DIE

Dancing Peasant posted:

I'm in the same position as you, but I always keep thinking about gemming to get a 5th builder. Also, I'm at TH9, where upgrades take as long as 1-2 weeks, and I'm usually at the circumstance where I don't have any resources to upgrade anything even if I have an idle builder.

Towards the endgame I definitely find I have a builder free when I need one (only have 3), 99% of the time. I can't actually remember the last time I didn't have a builder free. For reference the cheapest upgrades I can make are about 1.5 million for gold, and 3 million for elixir. So it takes a while to get that much and something will finish building by then. Unless you play the game an absolute shitload

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The cost of the upgrades is offset by the amount of time they take - x-million might seem like a lot, but the upgrade will take a week plus, so its not so hard to get that ready again if you play regularly. If you just log in and collect, probably not.

At least, that's how it's meant to work. Builders should be of equal importance at all levels.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Khablam posted:

The cost of the upgrades is offset by the amount of time they take - x-million might seem like a lot, but the upgrade will take a week plus, so its not so hard to get that ready again if you play regularly. If you just log in and collect, probably not.

At least, that's how it's meant to work. Builders should be of equal importance at all levels.

Collectors will not get you NEARLY enough to keep up with builders at high levels like TH8+

Raiding is how you need to amass that drank/gold for upgrades unfortunately.

I have 3 builders and WILL go down to 1 randomly when I get some good raids going, but I rarely am sitting there thinking "Wow, I wish I could upgrade more stuff" and no have a builder free. I've spent 0 so far, but I also did have the builder issue A LOT pre TH 6.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
I guess I got lucky with finding gems from trees and achievements but I got my 3rd builder at TH lvl5 and am now closing in on the 1250 trophy achievement.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I could certainly use the 4th builder, but ymmv.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
A small request: don't loving donate less than level 3 troops, especially if I've asked for level 3+ troops. Thanks.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!
Just saw there was an open spot in WeSpent500Dolla and sent a join request. Posting in here so people can see who I am.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Instead of an extra builder, I would love a second research building. Upgrading hog riders is 8 days.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

KGBAgent185 posted:

Instead of an extra builder, I would love a second research building. Upgrading hog riders is 8 days.

You ain't seen nothing yet.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Wasn't archer 6 like 3 weeks?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Soulex posted:

Wasn't archer 6 like 3 weeks?

I'll have to double check, but I think 14 days is the max upgrade time. Hog rider 4 was either 10 or 12 days aka the extent of linear time.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Blue Raider posted:

I'll have to double check, but I think 14 days is the max upgrade time. Hog rider 4 was either 10 or 12 days aka the extent of linear time.

I already upgraded to level 3 dragons which was hilarious, but this is the FIRST hog riders -_- I know it only gets worse, it's just that Dark Elixir take so bloody long to accumulate as is.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

KGBAgent185 posted:

I already upgraded to level 3 dragons which was hilarious, but this is the FIRST hog riders -_- I know it only gets worse, it's just that Dark Elixir take so bloody long to accumulate as is.

Dark elixir gets more manageable when you get the pumps to lvl 2 or 3. As it is, dark elixir pretty much fuels my attacks, and I still have a small net gain, because the pumps make it faster than I can spend it. I don't blow it on the king and queen like some people do, though.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Aren't the King/Queen a one time cost?

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

RVT posted:

Aren't the King/Queen a one time cost?

You can level them up to 40. Each level costs a bunch, though, and while I don't have the Queen yet, I'm sure I'll have other things to speed Dark E on first before the small attack and health gain each level gives you.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe

That's what it'd take to get my level 2 king to level 3. Only 37 more levels to go after that!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

ixo posted:

That's what it'd take to get my level 2 king to level 3. Only 37 more levels to go after that!

Jesus titty christ.

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
I don't even have Dark Elixir yet so I don't even have any concept of how expensive that is. I'm like a child who is told how much a car is worth.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

TraderStav posted:

Jesus titty christ.

Yeah, thing is, I'm not sure if it's not worth it. I successfully defended an attack against a level 150 (!!!) dude a few days ago, and he didn't throw anything at me that some of the higher dudes in 2poor4gems don't donate on the reg. Most of my troops are pretty high level, but there's no way I could take down some of the really crazy bases. I just wonder of the king and queen aren't the way to do that. I can't really see any other way to go about it.

SquareDog posted:

I don't even have Dark Elixir yet so I don't even have any concept of how expensive that is. I'm like a child who is told how much a car is worth.

It's relative.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Wow the build it loving now button only gets more use as time goes on. No wonder the developer is making GBS threads 2.5 mil cash not bitcoins a day, they have these games down pat. The carrot of clearing trees daily might get the most patient people to the 4th builder, but you need some serious dedication (aspergers) to hit the 5th guy for free.

Game is still hella fun. A highly addictive mmo-like tower defense game you can take with you to the toilet, put the poopsock away and lose your job while clashing at work.

cr4zyd
Mar 31, 2011

jm20 posted:

Wow the build it loving now button only gets more use as time goes on. No wonder the developer is making GBS threads 2.5 mil cash not bitcoins a day, they have these games down pat. The carrot of clearing trees daily might get the most patient people to the 4th builder, but you need some serious dedication (aspergers) to hit the 5th guy for free.
http://forum.supercell.net/showthread.php/195839-Sneak-Peeks!!!

Supercell posted:

Sneak Peek #2 - The Gem Box is a mysterious NEW obstacle packed with Gems! Leprechaun not included.

Forum Exclusive: Trees and bushes will give you more Gems! You'll also be able to clear obstacles in Village Edit Mode. Please note, however, only one Gem Box can spawn at a time, so don't hesitate to collect it.

boy I bet your face is red

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
That King ability looks pretty drat awesome. Would make using mass barbs even better than it already is, plus summoning more to boot.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Blue Raider posted:

Dark elixir gets more manageable when you get the pumps to lvl 2 or 3. As it is, dark elixir pretty much fuels my attacks, and I still have a small net gain, because the pumps make it faster than I can spend it. I don't blow it on the king and queen like some people do, though.

I don't even know what my pump is at, but it maxes out at 450 Elixir when it tops up. :(

I want to upgrade to TH 9? I think, but I have SO MANY walls that aren't upgraded to even purple yet, let alone the round stone whatever. Also I have to upgrade at least another Mortor, and some teslas off the top of my head. :(

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

DE Pumps @ level 3 top off at 450. I know because I have yet to upgrade them even though I'm still at TH9.

Speaking of which, with regards to anxiously wanting to move up to TH9, let me say this much:

For TH8, I would highly recommend that you take advantage raiding TH7s for the loot without the heavy penalty and upgrade while you can. At TH9, I'd be happy to see any TH7 with at least 100k gold, since I usually see at least half that amount (at Gold 2/3, at least).

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Dancing Peasant posted:

DE Pumps @ level 3 top off at 450. I know because I have yet to upgrade them even though I'm still at TH9.

Speaking of which, with regards to anxiously wanting to move up to TH9, let me say this much:

For TH8, I would highly recommend that you take advantage raiding TH7s for the loot without the heavy penalty and upgrade while you can. At TH9, I'd be happy to see any TH7 with at least 100k gold, since I usually see at least half that amount (at Gold 2/3, at least).

I have a bitch of a time raiding and seeing more than 50k gold as is right now. :(

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
If you're a new player like me, I can't stress how important it is to attack people at every opportunity in order to get early resources.

The unit comp I've been using is the following:

2x Wallbreakers (only use if needed)
6x Giants (only us as many as you need to destroy their mortar)
30+ Goblins

The strategy-
-Keep refreshing possible victims until you find one with 25k+ gold.
-Identify where their mortar is
-If their mortar is in a threatening position, drop all 6 giants to kill it (using wallbreakers as necessary to clear a path)
-Once mortar is about to die, flood the board with goblins.

Dumping all of the above is cheap (under 10k elixir depending on upgrades) and can be trained in roughly 10 minutes.

I have been maxing out all defense/attack buildings before upgrading my town hall (including walls)- I've gotten tenfold more resources from attacking than from my harvesters, so those are not as important to level for me.

Since both Goon clans are full, another Goon and I created a clan called "DoUEvenLiftBro?" because we might actually lift. Anyone that wants to join up in our clan is welcome (be warned, we're new... but active).

Omniblivion fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 28, 2014

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So, an entire clan has apparently decided to target me for some reason. I didn't even attack one of them. But every memeber in it has way more points than I do, so this seems a little unfair.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup

Nuebot posted:

So, an entire clan has apparently decided to target me for some reason. I didn't even attack one of them. But every memeber in it has way more points than I do, so this seems a little unfair.

I'm pretty sure the game doesn't work that way.

They can't just randomly pick a person to attack and only target that person unless you're in the very top tier and the pool of opponents is small enough that they can locate someone specifically.

Also when someone successfully raids your town you become invulnerable. If you're attacking and breaking the shield, not gaining many resources and opening yourself up for attack again, that's your own drat fault.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

Omniblivion posted:

Since both Goon clans are full, another Goon and I created a clan called "DoUEvenLiftBro?" because we might actually lift. Anyone that wants to join up in our clan is welcome (be warned, we're new... but active).

The clan is now invite only, post on here or PM me if you lift and want an invite. Lifting your phone might not count.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Is this worth picking up if I just want a relaxing game to play on my phone from time to time? Basically, do you only lose resources when people attack or will attacks also wreck my little sim city?

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup
You only lose resources and it's extremely lenient. But if you play very infrequently, later on you'll have trouble getting the resources required for upgrades.

It's totally worth trying and razing newbie cities as a newbie is entertaining as heck.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

Secret Sweater posted:

It's totally worth trying and razing newbie cities as a newbie is entertaining as heck.

^

I just sank a guy with 6 Giants and 30 Goblins and got 155k gold, 250k elixir. Attacking early and as often as possible (provided you don't use a dumb strategy) is insanely profitable.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

Pro-tip: If you have a BK, make sure to get it to level 5 soon... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb-vnopO4cY

Also, I don't care for most CoC videos on Youtube, but if you have to subscribe to one and learn how to play the game efficently, I would highly recommend watching Chief Pat's videos. He's pretty good and knows his way around CoC, his Let's Plays are also informative.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe

Omniblivion posted:

I'm real mad bout this cause I'm a tflc goon too, but you've been OP'd.

Higsian posted:

Is this worth picking up if I just want a relaxing game to play on my phone from time to time? Basically, do you only lose resources when people attack or will attacks also wreck my little sim city?

You'll likely get frustrated later in the game, but it'll be great fun until then. Join us!

e:

The Updated OP posted:

ADVANCED TACTICS :histdowns:

ixo fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 28, 2014

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
This is an amazingly addictive little game, glad I got a new phone so I could play it!

One question though - why go past TH4? My shield just wore off and the pickings are amazing, every match is a one or two cannon base. Maybe not great yields, but fantastic return investment for the 10 dudes I chuck in.

E: Waiiiiiiit, match making is based on trophies, is it? Cause suddenly people are using defences!

Pidgin Englishman fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jan 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
just started playing a week ago and my biggest problem so far is that my wallbreakers keep getting lit up before they reach the wall. :happyelf: