Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

J posted:

Maybe biggest was the wrong word to use - how about most important grind? On any given base design there are a whole bunch of wall pieces that basically never get broken, and then some others that get broken all the time. Max the ones that get broken and get the others up to an okay-ish level and it's fine.

Beyond the obvious (actual defense), I always thought the biggest benefit of upgrading walls was telling lower level players to gently caress off when they see you. Load up a player, see super upgraded walls, and you may say, "Eh, this guy is way beyond me, I'm not dealing with this."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Beyond the obvious (actual defense), I always thought the biggest benefit of upgrading walls was telling lower level players to gently caress off when they see you. Load up a player, see super upgraded walls, and you may say, "Eh, this guy is way beyond me, I'm not dealing with this."

Absolutely, it's definitely a deterrent. Same with inferno towers, and eagle artillery. Lots of players will just instantly swipe next if they see any of those. (Depending on their TH level / ability obviously)

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Wall maxers are a weird bunch. What an uneventful and unrewarding grind. I'm TH10 sitting with 31/30, and a 203:72 split on 10:9 wall levels. There's no way I'm maxing those walls to 11 as once the heroes are 35/35 I'm going to TH11 for more stuff to actually do. That's 969 million gold/elixir to get the 72 wall pieces to 10 and then all 275 to 11 from there. gently caress that noise. That's almost as much as my total gold and elixir looting combined to this point.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The reason I did it is because it will never be easier to get that gold/lix than it will be now. Once you upgrade to TH11, the loot penalty means you will be getting less from the same bases you have been attacking, and the same people that have been attacking you will take more from you. It's a boring endless game anyway, at least I can get some sense of completion and satisfaction if I max everything in each Town Hall level. Plus it looks pretty.

Also, :lol: at "having more stuff to actually do". Yes, building those extra few buildings will completely change the way you perform the same few attacks every day. So exciting!

RCarr fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 13, 2018

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

im not spergy about maxing walls, but also highly enjoy 'wall mode' when you've finished everything else. Spend all your gold/elix as it comes in, never build up very much, so you never have to worry about attacking and breaking shields.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Now that they nerfed Infernoes, once you're ready for TH10, you may as well just go right to TH11. GW is a game changer.

Spoken like a maxed TH11

vv

^burtle fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 13, 2018

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Honestly as soon as you hit TH4 just skip ahead an uninstall the game.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Getting on the wall grind is cool, cause you can make expensive-rear end DE armies (at TH10/11) and just gently caress around since you don't need DE until you go up to the next TH. At TH8/9, it's rad because you can't use elix on walls yet, so you can make a lot of dumb elix/DE armies, like all Pekkas or some poo poo. Go hog wild with weird stuff.

I always maxed walls before I moved up, until TH10. I think I had like 50 lava walls before I went to TH11. I didn't really like TH10, so I wanted to move up sooner than later.

At TH11, I've been holding off on plopping down my Eagle, but it sounds like it's not a big deal? I sucked rear end at TH10 wars, so I'm assuming I'll be even worse at TH11 regardless of whether my targets have an Eagle or not.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

RCarr posted:

Honestly as soon as you hit TH4 just skip ahead an uninstall the game.

This is the pro-est of strats right here

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

RCarr posted:

The reason I did it is because it will never be easier to get that gold/lix than it will be now. Once you upgrade to TH11, the loot penalty means you will be getting less from the same bases you have been attacking, and the same people that have been attacking you will take more from you. It's a boring endless game anyway, at least I can get some sense of completion and satisfaction if I max everything in each Town Hall level. Plus it looks pretty.

Also, :lol: at "having more stuff to actually do". Yes, building those extra few buildings will completely change the way you perform the same few attacks every day. So exciting!

If you attack more than once a day it can absolutely be better to jump up for loot. Titan league is cake with th11 troops and 300k loot bonus is going to make those walls go way faster and the difference in loot you lose from defending is minimal.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah walls are obviously the biggest grind, technically, but I'm pretty sure at the highest levels they're just there to give players something to spend loot on until the next update comes out. Anything above spiky walls is really just gravy.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

"Hey, did you see my game against the Detroit Lions?"
I didn't max walls until they were literally all I had to deal with. But now I just have a bunch of loot sitting around and just do war attacks, because I beat the game.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Having just unlocked the Archer Queen, when it does it start becoming viable to start doing the queen walking/charge strats i see in lots of youtube videos? Since most of the ones i watched are TH10-11 war videos.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Think of it not in terms of "can she live" but "is it worth 42/56/70 camp space to heal her". So at level 5 you can walk her but she'll take forever to kill stuff. Realistically, you shouldn't do it until level 15 unless it's a super weak base, and it becomes a reliable play at level 20.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Yeah, you can technically queen walk with a low level queen if you're prompt about having rage on your healers for when your queen wanders into too many defenses, but even if she stays alive it takes her a long time to clear stuff at low levels. You can open with a totally sweet queen walk, do the 2nd phase of the attack, and then run out of time even if you executed the attack perfectly. I agree w/ Ditch in that starting to learn the strategy at level 15 is probably a good time, and it only gets better from there the higher your queen goes.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Anyone have a good TH11 farming ring base? About to put up my Eagle and need to rearrange.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Anyone have a good TH11 farming ring base? About to put up my Eagle and need to rearrange.

Same

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Here's mine.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

And mine as well.

edit: it's not a ring but w/e

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

"Hey, did you see my game against the Detroit Lions?"
I dunno, there is a ring around your TH at least.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Late game bases are silly

J
Jun 10, 2001

Update is out, BH8 is live 5k trophies is the new max loot tier for builder base.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yay, new update, my lab was getting dusty. All hail the grind. The grind giveth and the grind taketh away.

Currently there's an 8-hour timer and loot bonus for BH, which would be nicer if all my upgrades weren't 3+ days...

I'm excited about Clan Games providing clan XP though.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The BB upgrades are goddamn expensive and take forever. Having the giant cannon down for 5d is going to be frustrating as hell trying to get 3 wins.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Anyone have a good BH8 base layout?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Haha, gently caress new BH releases that are timed with "marathons." 5d to upgrade to BH8, but you get loot 4x a day, so you max your storages with like 3d left. When it's done? Oh yeah you gotta put your lab down for 3d, and max your storages again. Such a gem grab. I had to blow 2k gems that I had saved up just to keep my gold/elix from hitting max so I could take advantage of the quicker attack cooldown.

Also, I found a pretty rad new army.
3 camps of minions
2 camps of drop ships

1. You want to deploy all your poo poo on the side opposite of the giant cannon and air bombs.
2. Start by plinking the camps on the opposite side of mass deployment with 1 minion each. Should be able to take them down, and maybe a second soft building next to it before it's dead. This is just to get a few extra %.
3. Make an arch of all remaining minions (should be 27ish) on your mass deployment side that covers like 1.5 sides of the base.
4. Deploy all drop ships in that arc, evenly spaced out.
5. Drop battle machine in same arc, but furthest from the giant cannon.

The drop ships tank the ADs.
Hopefully the skeletons from the ships keep the giant cannon distracted and kill some poo poo.
Minions are your main damage and will stay up until the drop ships go down.

Seems to be getting me 2-star high 60s almost every time.

If there's a base where they tease you with a BH that's not in the middle and toward the outside, take advantage of it. You can blow that fucker up fast with your main force for an easy 2-star.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Mar 8, 2018

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

That poo poo is super effective.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Hell yeah, can't wait til I make my extra camp.

I also love it when you see gemmed maxed out BH8s already, and you wreck them. Super satisfying.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 8, 2018

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ok it seems everyone is using this army now. I just attacked 6 times and got beat by it every single time. Most of them used their extra camp on 2 more drop ships.

So yeah, get that extra camp ASAP I guess.

Anro
May 6, 2003
Oven Wrangler
I need a new clan, one that participates in clan wars.
I want all the rewards, who has one I can join.

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

Come to Spergs of War. We are always doing wars and getting clan games rewards.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

SHOWMEYOURPEKKA remains war active and usually maxing the clan games as well.

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

Hey Nosre, I know you are a loyal PEKKA looker but we would love to have you visit Spergs and do a war with us. Are you still doing superqueen attacks? I have wondered if you are killing it now that infernos don't stop healers.

The same goes for any goon war-mongers out there... Come visit any time.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Yea, I've superqueened primarily since queen level 15. You'd think it would have gotten boring by now but I find predicting her pathing more fun than, say, gobs. The change let me change a freeze to a wildcard spell spot and definitely opened up more bases.

Maybe I will if we have a lazy period :)

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

I'm getting nothing but builders hall clan games things, already did two of them, and I'm not doing more attacks there without gaining loot and certainly am not dumping a couple hundred gems just for that nonsense.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

metallicaeg posted:

I'm getting nothing but builders hall clan games things, already did two of them, and I'm not doing more attacks there without gaining loot and certainly am not dumping a couple hundred gems just for that nonsense.

Probably because it's a builders hall only clan games! You only get loot for 3 attacks per 8 hours. So any after those 3 you can do whatever challenges you want without losing out on your precious pretend loot.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

RCarr posted:

Probably because it's a builders hall only clan games! You only get loot for 3 attacks per 8 hours. So any after those 3 you can do whatever challenges you want without losing out on your precious pretend loot.

You don't ever lose any loot in BH so this was a wack rear end attempt at poo poo posting

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

metallicaeg posted:

You don't ever lose any loot in BH so this was a wack rear end attempt at poo poo posting

No one said you did. I was just explaining that even if your storages are maxed out, you can still participate in the BH clan games, because after the first 3 wins, you aren't losing out on the win bonus loot you would normally be.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

metallicaeg posted:

At least your post was a strong rear end attempt at poo poo posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

So yeah, get that extra camp ASAP I guess.

Yup, extra camp is the poo poo. 2 more dropships and you roll over everyone. I'm getting 2-star 60-100%s almost every time. Gonna be nuts when I lab my minions/ships up 2 more levels too.