Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Good air defenses are as much about the attacks that don't happen as they ones that they repel. When I'm running giant/healer and I see a base with well-packed centralized air defenses I hit next.

Well positioned and upgraded air defenses will make your base nearly unassailable to certain army compositions mainly because Giants just can't survive long enough to take them out while being bombarded by everything else without expending potions that take time to replace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

RCarr posted:

What the hell are bees

nothing but Barbarians/Goblins/Archers, usually equal quantities of barbarians and archers. Great for swarm attacks on exposed collectors.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Murgos posted:

Is that better than swarms of Goblins? Cause I've just been zerging the crap out of stuff with goblins.

Goblins will get instantly wrecked by wizard towers or mortars, plus they only go for resource buildings. With barb/archer the barbs will tank a few hits before they die and you'll take out all the unprotected buildings for a 50% victory. In addition you can hit the first row of buildings behind walls without getting through them.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

don't wait for it to expire, start loving people up as soon as possible. as a rule of thumb just upgrade everything you can before you upgrade your town hall.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Apparently my last war attack was so terrible I broke Clash of Clans.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

2poor is about 12 hours away from being 4-0 as well.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

The #1 thing that keeps us on the winning side is the regular purges and the large "waiting room" in the thread.

Everything else (high level donated troops, a coherent strategy, high attack rate) flows from having a clan full of active people that play regularly.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Butt Discussin posted:

Getting clan troops seems to be a huge advantage in normal farming. However, when I ask for clan troops, should I keep them for defense or use them to kill an enemy stronger than I normally could right away?

Ask as often as you want and don't be afraid to ask for something particular. Most people give archers but if you can't train them yet asking for a healer is perfectly normal as is requesting dragons/wizards if you want more punch (and have the castle space).

Ask for what you need to get strong and return the favor when you are. Once you're making 200k gold/elixer per attack you can poo poo out archers as fast as people can ask for them and even throw wizards and dragons at your clanmates without hurting your bottom line.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

This is why Thinkmeats will always be 2poor's MVP

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Blue Raider posted:

a drag most likely

Nah, wizards. We've had great results from putting wizards in TH7 bases due to the higher number of giant/bee attacks.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

jm20 posted:

Why can't we all just get along, and chill?

2Poor's Dear Leader gtfo decided to yolo us into Team Turkey (the country). With 8 wins to our 10, we're hoping they get over 80-90 stars but a preliminary check (stats) shows this may not be the case. Seems to be another case of CW :rolldice:

He did nothing but cower and complain about his poor missing spells. I am the true prophet of the YOLO.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

This is sort of a PSA post because I keep having to correct people on some aspects of clan war:

1. When the prep day timer hits zero the game takes a snapshot of your base at that moment to use for the entirety of the war. This is literally the only time your base has to be in defensive mode. If you're online at the time go balls-out and position your storages so that enemies clump up where mortars, wizard towers, and air defenses can hit them. The resources stolen in a clan war attack literally come from thin air, you will not lose anything if you are defeated in a clan war attack. The second the war starts you can move everything back without consequences. You can spend the entire war with your town hall exposed if it's inside at the moment the war starts.

2. Anything building at the start of the war will work as if it is level 1, so feel free to integrate building things into your defenses. Anything upgrading will work at the level of its last completed upgrade, so make sure that mortar with two days to go on level 5 is in place. Any traps you have in place will always work as intended. This goes for your enemies too, so don't assume that bomb won't be there if you're improving on a clanmate's attack.

3. Your defensive clan castle is set and will always have the troops that were specifically donated to your war clan castle donated on prep day in it. If I gave your war clan castle a dragon on prep day it will pop out every time some pubbie scrub attacks you, no matter how many times they kill it but ultimately fail to conquer your awesome base. The other side of this is that you shouldn't donate troops to the clan castles on the war screen unless you have top level troops. In our clan it's level 5 wizards or level 3 dragons, but it may be different elswhere. If you are unsure, ask.

4. Always, always, always lure the enemy clan castle troops, Barbarian King, and Archer Queen. Expect that the top level players have filled every clan castle to the brim with face-melting dragons, wizards, and witches. They might be complete scrubs and have nothing but level 2 archers, but they also might vaporize your army the second you get close. Make sure you always bring a team of archers and wizards to deal with these guys, always ask higher level players for wizards if you need them.

5. Only the highest number of stars taken from a base counts. If I get a pitiful single star on someone and you then attack him and get three stars because you're an awesome stud like that the clan gets three stars, not four. You will also only get two stars progress on your clan war achievement. A single star on any base, even one already three-starred will get you the full resource reward, so if your clan has an insurmountable lead with little time left and you have an attack, you can take out the biggest, nastiest pubbie base with a town hall left outside but for the love of god don't do so until cleared to do so. Seriously, you snipe a base before the time for such things and I will find you.

If you are still unsure about any of this or want advice on how to deal with a specific war enemy, ask. There are no stupid questions!

Now take this and go out there and kick some rear end!

Gangringo fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 12, 2014

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Have they upped the number of gems given away since the OP was written? Doesn't seem like the 1250 trophies achievement is necessary at all to hit 500.

Yes, a while ago they doubled the number of gems you get from removing trees and added a rare 25 gem box that can spawn instead.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

With the ludicrous number of clans they have it was bound to happen

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

C'mon PEKKA goons, don't leave us all in suspense, we need regular updates!

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

ixo posted:

For higher level players that make stupid fuckups, we generally just rip on them in chat a bit and forget about it.

This is the only reason I haven't been kicked out yet.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

I have saved the epic witch attack for all to see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2eKiFFNLek

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Dang.

In totally unrelated news we kicked a bunch of people from 2poor, so come on in sperglords!

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Forget the walls. Those heroes!

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

The best clan war defense you can do at TH5 is a protected town hall, clan castle, and air defense.

90%+ of your defense will be from the wizards your clan donates.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

TraderStav posted:

What's a good hog war build? Thinking 20 hogs with five dragons. Two heals and a rage. Thoughts?

Hogs are an all or nothing thing. You'll want a bare minimum of wizards/archers to lure and kill royals and CC troops then the rest hogs, at least 24. You should only ever bring heal spells

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Reddit clans manage to do it fairly often

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

The best undocumented change is that when nexting through enemies it maintains your zoom level. Now you can see the whole picture right away and have fewer accidental troop drops.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

No, they did not

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

8-12 wallbreakers, the rest equal quantities of archers and barbarians is what I use

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

I got bored.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

ixo posted:

Thread voted 4

I must visit Physiologic doctor for this insult!

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

The Bloonion method I use is 20 bloons, 60 minions, 3 heals and one rage. I usually use one or two heals per attack, dropping them when my bloons drop to 50% health, or when they're going to be hanging out in range of wizard towers. The rage is for if the CC troops pose a threat.

Edit: the most important thing is to get a feel for when you're going to run out of spells before you do. I generally do 1-3 bloon raids then a couple raids with gaints, archers, goblins, and wallbreakers while my spells recharge.

Gangringo fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 15, 2014

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

If you're in 2poor and haven't used both attacks this war come quick, we're tied with an hour to go.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Speaking of non-warring clans, is there any interest in a no-war goon clan?

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Are any other TH9s not finding any loot today? If you are finding it what range are you in because I've spent about 300k nexting without a single target.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

I just checked 2poor and Guh is gone?

I never should have left.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Pro click of the day

So many roasted goblins.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

I present to you the opening attack of 2Poor's latest war, by our new clan mascot Vivi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlkQ5OBMVxE

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In 2poor's latest war I was attacked, and soundly defeated by an army I've never seen before. The dude managed to three star my Maxed TH9 base with an army that outside of a single golem and a couple minions used no DE.

It was very humbling, see for yourself and learn from my pain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u68uHiOegvU

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

LegoMan posted:

So before I get locked out from joining clans by picking the wrong one, are the any spots in any goon clan right now for a TH4 guy who kind of likes hanging out in the slums upgrading everything?

There's one in 2poor now

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

2poor mascot Vivi delivers another awesome replay for your enjoyment. This time it's a defense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ3rsTWGfD4

Edit: A closer look

Gangringo fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 7, 2014

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Stare long enough into the sperg and it stares back into you.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

For the love of god somebody please join 2poor so my clanmates will stop playing pubbie ping-pong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Merry Christmas and hail Santa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Mh1mm170sE