Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Soulex posted:

God this wall grind is killing me.

It was so great over the holidays when you could boost collector production for 1 gem.

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
edit: nvm I'm an idiot

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Nuclearmonkee posted:

If you need to dive down in ranks just drop one bee on someone and immediately surrender. Keep doing this until you are where you want to be.

I find that if you're trying to drop trophies, you might as well try to get some resources out of it. A lot of times you can get 5-20k gold/elixir (or more) from 10 archers sniping exposed pumps, etc.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

RCarr posted:

What the hell are bees

Barbarians

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
Any good strategies when going up against TH 7 and 8 bases? I've been doing:

16 giants
40 goblins
6 WB
4 wizards
52 archers

+ whatever I have in the clan castle (mostly archers and wizards, but every now and again a dragon).

Sometimes this works out really well, and others, I end up failing completely. I try to avoid TH 8 bases unless they are spectacularly bad/have their AA under construction just because I don't see how I can get through.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

xarg posted:

Some day I'll understand why everyone in this game universally hates having giants donated to them.

They are bad at defense and if you are going to attack, having 20 archers/5 wizards/1 dragon is going to do a lot more than 4 extra giants.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

RCarr posted:

What should be my priority, once my town hall finishes upgrading to level 7? Barracks upgrade for dragons? Dark Barracks? Defense? Something else?

Laboratory. Get those troop upgrades started as soon as possible.

No point in Dark Barracks until after you've built a DE storage and done some raiding.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Nauta posted:

I raid fairly successfully with 14 giants, 5 wbs, 50 goblins and 70 archers but they're all lvl 5 so your mileage may vary. My setup is poor against strong high-end defenses so I have to cherry pick some but it's a relatively cheap and quick setup to train. I tried that bee thingy but in my opinion giants are way better at tying down your enemy's defenses than barbs.

At TH 7, I do something similar: 16 giants (lvl 4), 2 healers (lvl 2), 8 wbs (lvl 4), 1 dragon (lvl 2), 30 goblins and 25 archers (both lvl 4). Assuming my dragon doesn't go off and attack side buildings, it's been working pretty well.

Total Confusion fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 18, 2014

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
I am trying to 100% upgrade everything before I upgrade to TH8. At this point, I just have one or two collectors, walls and a barb king to upgrade/build.

In my quest for DE, is it a good idea to just find bases with lots of DE and then use 2-3 lightning spells to get the DE instead of trying to fight my way through the base to the storage?

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

RCarr posted:

It's not possible to get a shield AND get trophies while on defense. It's one or the other.

I thought that if they didn't get your town hall, but did destroy 40% of your base, that you got a shield and the trophies because the attacker didn't do anything to get any stars.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
Speaking of Barb Kings, if I'm at TH 7, is it a better use of my hard-stolen DE to upgrade the BK to level 2 or Minions to lvl 2?

Also, I have nothing left to spend elixir on at the moment and since I only have time to do 2 or 3 attacks a day, I just go for 8-10 dragon armies. It's so wasteful but works pretty well.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Should I just go for hog spam or use my wizards as a babby TH8 in the wars? Hogs are still level 1 and I only have the one dark barracks.

I am just going to use 11 lvl 2 dragons, 2 heal spells and a rage spell.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

ImsaKidd posted:

How do you guys prioritize walls vs upgrading defenses?

Right now my walls are half gold/half pink. Wall upgrades are 75k, and defense upgrades are in the 1 mil range. I've pretty much been focusing on defenses to keep builders busy, but i don't know if it might be worthwhile to get all pink walls?

I usually try to upgrade defenses first, I didn't have all pink walls until right before I upgraded to TH 7.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
I got to 10k DE @TH 7 by using a lot of lightning spells and doing attacks with 10 dragons on TH 8/9 bases. (Obviously it was almost the last thing I did @TH 7 as it "wastes" a ton of elixir).

I got the next 12.5k of DE at TH 7 by doing pretty much only all dragon attacks on people with 500-1,000 DE. Clan wars also helped. I was also able to get to the crystal league and claim the gem reward this way too.

Now I'm at TH 8 and I'm a little worried I've forgotten how to win battles without spending 250k+ on my army :(

ixo posted:

TH8:
"The Tempest"

This base is king poo poo of gently caress mountain. It's the TH8 version of the mantis. Anything short of a fully upgraded TH9 will be lucky to get more than 1-2 storages.

Are there some missing wall segments in this design? I've made this base, but I had enough walls left over to completely enclose the open outer ring (where the two bombs are in front of the cannon).

Total Confusion fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Apr 26, 2014

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
Saw this in the "Tell Us Stories About People Bad With Money:"

Sokani posted:

I have a buddy who's never been very responsible. He's coming up on 25 and has always lived with his mom, has a tough time holding down a job because he randomly decides to miss shifts, and was recently caught stealing money from another friend. He complains constantly that he doesn't have enough money, he wants to move out on his own, can't afford gas to get to work, etc. I recently found out after talking to his drug dealer (another big drain on his account) that he's spent ~2k on the phone game Clash of Clans. It boggles my mind how he can complain about anything when his priorities are so backwards. Any attempt to get him to not throw his money in a pile and burn it is met with 'I spend my money on things I want', and suggesting that maybe he'd enjoy his own place more than phone pixels is met with an angry stare. There's just no helping some people.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

oval office raja posted:

#1 About half of the 50 new walls I got from upgrading are pink crystals, the other half are still gold. Should I continue to upgrade the walls to pink, and then purple, or should I start focusing on upgrading the cannons and archers?

If all your TH 7 walls are purple, then you should be OK if your TH 8 walls are a mix of gold and pink.

oval office raja posted:

#2 Should I save up the ridiculous amount needed to upgrade the dark barracks and get hogs? I haven't yet because I'm worried they're not effective until level whatever. Should I upgrade my drill to a certain level first?

L1 hogs aren't that ideal, but you can still use them. Now that my next upgrades involving DE are at the 17.5 or 20k level, I'm holding off on saving up DE and instead using it to make troops so I can save on elixir to do normal troop upgrades/upgrade my DE storage.

Upgrading your DE drill is also a good idea, 20 DE an hour is pretty bad.

oval office raja posted:

#3 I quit using barbs a long time ago, they're only level 3. Should I upgrade them and start using them again? This is related to the next question.

My poo poo gets wrecked regularly from people who have L5 barbs/archers. It's worth upgrading them.

oval office raja posted:

#4 My lots of lvl 4 archers/some lvl 4 wizards/a handful of lvl 3 giants/enough wallbreakers to get in tactic isn't really effective anymore. I just realized gobs have 2x damage on resources, should I be upgrading and using those? How many balloons at about what level are good for releasing after the air defenses have been taken out? I was thinking that substituting some gobs for a couple of the wizards would save me a ton of elixir, I've hit a point where filling my 200 spots with my old tactic and re-upping my spells costs almost 200000 elixir a go.

My understanding was that you need L5 balloons before they are really useful. Previously, I was using 8 L2 dragons and 40 L4 archers but am now using more of an archer/wizard/L1 hogs mix to save up elixir. If all of your bees/giants aren't at L4 yet, I would get on that ASAP.

oval office raja posted:

#5 Spells are costing me a shitload. I never use the blue one, I usually have two healing spells and a purple Hulk-out spell. That's 61000 elixir at the levels they're at. I've stopped automatically using the spells, and started evaluating if they can be saved/etc. Is there anything else I can do besides not upgrade them any time soon?

Spells cost a lot, so don't use more of them than you need. I would still upgrade them as it makes each spell more effective. Also only go for bases that have 150k+ gold and/or elixir. Sometimes though you just have to use a lot of elixir if you see a base with a lot of gold or DE you want to get at.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
You can buy a statue of a PEKKA at level 75. Otherwise, it serves no purpose.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

jaete posted:

As TH8, I'd totally go 10 dragons on that base, 'cause that's how I roll

Overkill = best kill

My recent attempts at mass dragons have not been working so well, despite having served me great for the first 10+ CWs.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
Currently in a clan war. Their top guy's base looks like this:

and it seems like that should be pretty easy to get 2-3 stars from, but I'm not sure of the best troop composition. Most of my troops are TH 7 maxed (lvl 4/2) with the exception of archers, barbs and wizards (lvl 5).

I feel like mass dragons would get too distracted to be effective, would barch+some giants+wiz be my best bet?

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

TraderStav posted:

I'm using the Tempest, which someone recently mentioned is not a farming set up (although my TH is outside), I have been heavily upgrading all of my defenses so many structures are down. What's a solid defensive base I can look at?

I recently switched from Tempest to the farming TH8 base listed in the OP.

Still got my poo poo wrecked and 800DE stolen.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
I know. The farming base in the OP is actually pretty good. I get plenty of 12 hours shields out of it for a minimal trophy loss.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

psychicattack posted:

It's probably buried in here somewhere so just indulge me anyway: what are the implications from going to TH6 to TH7? I've just about maxed out all upgrades except for collectors. One of my three barracks is maxed out-I get all angry working with only 2 because I'm an impatient child. Otherwise I have one camp and one cannon left to go.

I'm having a looting heyday over here making giant scores almost every attack, but I'm guessing that's going to take a very abrupt and sad turn at TH7? Should I wait until I can upgrade the collectors as well? Can I live with one super awesome barracks?

The only thing that changes when you upgrade your TH is your ability to build/upgrade structures and the amount of loot you can get from people who have a TH level lower than yours.

My personal preference was to max my collectors as soon as possible (level 11 collectors give you 360,000 per 24 hours of gold/elixir).

There will still be plenty of loot at TH 7.

You cannot live with one super awesome barracks. With each barracks being as upgraded as possible, it allows you to make an entire army consisting of whatever troops you want in one go very quickly.

Upgrade that last army camp ASAP! You need as many troops as possible for your attacks going forward.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

vulturesrow posted:

Man I got the Thinkmeats supreme base all set up and the first time I got attacked I got 100% destroyed. Course the guy was a couple TH levels above but all it took was 1 wallbreaker, about 10 giants, 1 wiz and the rest level 4 barch.

Anyhow, an actual question: I find myself hitting next a lot because I've been farming exclusively with barches and now that I'm TH6 I'm finding less easy pickings. Given that I don't have a lot of play time would be a giant/goblin/wb/healer comp be more efficient? Or should I just start bringing some giants/wbs with my barches?

What's your current trophy level? You might be able to find some bases that are easier to attack if you dropped some trophies.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

nikochansan posted:

I don't want to buy gems

By clearing trees, gem boxes and achievements (e.g. - getting to 1250 trophies), you should be able to maintain a healthy number of gems for free.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

RCarr posted:

Speaking of TH8 bases, the 2 in the OP both seem to be Clan War bases. Is there a better option for a farming base? Saving 3+ million of a resource is hard!

Dancing Peasant posted:

TH8
"The Box Factory" (good for Clan Wars? No | good for Farming? Yes)

This design is an alteration of the popular Triangulation base from CoCBuilder, before I even found CoCBuilder. So, the outside defense has archers/cannons, middle defense has wizards/mortars, with the creamy center full of CC and DE storage. It was only ***'d twice, with maxed Dragons+Rage and maxed Hogs. It's farm-based, as long as you don't care about elixir too much (but you can easily swap with the gold storage if necessary).

I recently saved up 3,000,000 elixir using this base (lvl 3 drags :whatup: ). I pretty much only get trophy attacks. It does really bad against lvl 6 giants + healers, but I'm not sure any TH 8 base can stand up to TH 9-10 troops (and that only happens once I start having 200,000+ stealable resources).

Total Confusion fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jul 8, 2014

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

waffledoodle posted:

"JESUS CHRIST YOU loving DRAGON, WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU GOING" is a thing that my coworkers got to hear me scream repeatedly during today's war.

You can't run with pure dragons. Gotta use your BK and like 40 archers + CC to clear out the exterior buildings on one side so your drags have a straight shot to the middle of the base.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
Sorry Spiderjelly didn't mean to reject you. Reapply to Ugievarchers tomorrow and we will let you in.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

ranbo das posted:

so i got attacked by someone while I was offline. The guy has full storages, so i figured I'd take back what was mine, but it says revenge not available. I never used it, anyone know why I cant hit him back?

Probably because you attacked him first and he was revenging you.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Roshambo posted:

How much do you have to loot for that to be worth the army investment?

When you no longer need elixir but still need DE/gold, losing out or breaking even on elixir isn't a big deal. It's the best part of late-stage upgrading.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

tater_salad posted:

As my shield has run out, should I keep my mouth shut and not attack pubbies and wait until I can build my tower, or should I start trying to beat on folks.

Probably safe to go ahead and attack, but I always wondered: if you never attack anyone, you won't ever get any trophies and you won't ever then be in a league and eligible to get attacked, or is that incorrect?

tater_salad posted:

What is the best way to place stuff and walls, Right now I get 1 wall. should I build it all the way around all of my buildings, or just keep it around my resource mines/storage and defenses?

Before level 6, there is really nothing you can do with walls that will really protect you. Use your walls to make as many compartments as you can to enclose your storages, TH and defensive structures.

tater_salad posted:

Do my troops defend my place, or is it only my defenses (archer, cannon, mortar)

Only your defenses

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

padijun posted:

I want to move out of TH8 because 20 more troops, 4 spells, L6 barching, the AQ, a second DE drill, etc. but man I don't want to get raided by a bunch of TH10 shitlers. building all skull walls and being patient enough to max out all defenses is making more sense by the day

I know. I feel like I'm going to spend forever at TH 8 with everything finished, just upgrading skull walls.

Interested to see what this means:

Supercell posted:

Fireballs aren’t the only trick the Wizard has up his sleeve... Stay tuned for Wizard event

Total Confusion fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Aug 28, 2014

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Jaysus posted:

I don't think I'm ever going to upgrade a collector again. They seem pointless when barching gets me so rich.

I'd max then out before moving on to TH 8. It's 360,000 of gold and/or elixir per day.

poo poo starts to get expensive.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Sokani posted:

Everyone who attacks me in war just dragon drops me. What's a good TH8 base that can stop that poo poo?

How upgraded are your air defenses?

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Semi-mental posted:

In a war, if I build my war base while one of my archer towers is upgrading, but that upgrade completes before the end of the preparation day, is the upgraded version available in the war or do I need to wait to build my base until after it has completed?

The upgraded version is available if the upgrade finishes before the war starts. You don't need to do anything special.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

b0ng posted:

EDIT: New TH8 war base.

How do you save up 80,000 DE at TH8?

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

b0ng posted:

It's not my pic but you can upgrade your de storage to hold 80k

Ah, OK. No, I just meant the actual process of mining/stealing that much DE and making sure no one else steals it.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

Is it just me or does the Tempest TH8 base design in the OP not use 6 wall units? I keep comparing my base to the one in the picture and it looks the same.

Yes, you are correct. It does not use all the wall segments.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
I'm getting 100-200k pretty regularly at TH 8 (Gold 3) but feel like I have to hit next 30-40 times before I find a decent BARCH target. Glad all I have left is skull walls, I don't think I've had more the 600k at any time and all my attackers just go for my TH.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Deep Winter posted:

Should I go into th8 with pink walls and everything upgraded except for traps?

No. Upgrade your walls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
For Android, you just have to disable notifications for the app. I would imagine iOS has a similar function.