Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Nybble posted:

RCarr, you may be able to link your account via the in-game Google+ linking? I did it to get from iPhone -> Android. Their website has guides to help transfer, so that might help.

And then never use the 4th builder. Ever. I rarely ever have enough materials to keep Researching and 3 Builders occupied.

I opted for the 4th because it was $5 and I have spent (wasted?) so much time with the game. I always have all four going, but I am a bit aggressive with TH upgrading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Gangringo posted:

Good air defenses are as much about the attacks that don't happen as they ones that they repel. When I'm running giant/healer and I see a base with well-packed centralized air defenses I hit next.

Well positioned and upgraded air defenses will make your base nearly unassailable to certain army compositions mainly because Giants just can't survive long enough to take them out while being bombarded by everything else without expending potions that take time to replace.

This is some solid Cold War philosophy poo poo right here.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

ixo posted:

That's what it'd take to get my level 2 king to level 3. Only 37 more levels to go after that!

Jesus titty christ.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I've just begun my watch. $200k wall upgrades. I'll see you guys in a month. :(

Upside is soon I'll have all my elixir upgrades accounted for so I'll just start spamming lvl 4 wizards and such to hand out.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Dancing Peasant posted:

I saw this picture the other day, apparently the guy is down around 1800 trophies now, but still though :stare:

How does he have 8M max resources at Th4??

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

duffmensch posted:

The person viewing the other town hall has 8m resources, not the person with the Th4. You can see the "return home" button in the lower left corner.

Ah damnit.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

He uses "literally" incorrectly and too frequently.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Mods, rename me to this.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I'm saving all of my gems for promotions such as the 1 gem boosts over Xmas.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

how me a frog posted:

Ad hominem? It hurts so much to be tangibly wrong?

This right here? That's loser talk. Which goon clan are you in? Give your true stats and I assure you I will eclipse you in days using my infantile post. Unless you're in DoUEvenLift in which case I already did.

Check out this try-hard.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

RCarr posted:

What the hell are bees

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

RCarr posted:

What the hell are bees

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

You don't need healers.

5 WB
1/3 barbs
1/3 archers
1/3 gobs

Hit next until you see a good sized base with collectors outside the walls. The draw a circle around the base continually dropping troops switching between the three types up there. Use WB to bust through to the storage or a defensive target.

Repeat, cheap and highly profitable.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Nuclearmonkee posted:

This doesn't really work on good bases though. When I'm rolling with bees (which is most of the time) I have to hit next often enough on fat bases with maxed walls. Heavily compartmentalized bases with good walls are the bane of bees and unless the storages are on the outer layer it can be very hard to get to them without burning spells.

You can always get collectors though. Just hit next until you see a base with full ones.

Absolutely, so hit next until one meets your criteria. Too many compartments and collectors not full? Move on. Don't use spells, too expensive as there will be times that their defense rolls you.

Murgos posted:

This is working surprisingly well. I had tried that force composition before but not circling around the base, that seems like it distributes the troops pretty efficiently with the way the AI does pathing and target priority.

Yeah, it does a great job. I actually run with more goblins though, the barbs serve as distraction while the archers take out the towers. I'm actually doing:

5 WB
55 Archers
55 Barbs
80 Goblins

McSpankWich posted:

It depends on the bases you find, but yea. You need to focus on bases with either the AA close to the edge, or two grouped together. Usually what I would do is drop the giants on the side closest to two of the AA batteries, and WB them in a level or two, use a healing spell if necessary. Then drop the healers once the AA's are down. Hopefully the third AA was close to the edge on the opposite side, and the archers would usually take it out before the healers got into it's range.

Once the AA's are gone basically it's just you against the clock with Giants/Healers. Usually I ran with 16 giants, 2 healers, 40 gobbos, and the rest archers (37? I think it came out to)

Bases I hit were usually in the 150-350 of each resource range, occasionally would get one that was like 500+ of each, but that was rare. The cost of that army comp is ~75k so if you burned a heal spell you needed to get ~100k elixir to break even. Much more expensive than bees, but would generally allow 100% on some otherwise unassailable bases.

I was actually surprised as to how much I 100% bases with this attack strategy. I'm having to drop trophies every day or so as I get to 1400 too quickly from 1000.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

hitchensgoespop posted:

At what level do wizards start becoming useful?

ive tried using them in the past and they seem to just get chewed up really quickly and they take an age to make so making loads of them is kinda out of the question.

giants are pretty useful if you use them in conjunction with a healer,as they will pretty much clear out a bases defenses providing you get rid of the air missiles first.

They start getting sick around level 4. Level 5 just chew threw poo poo.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

jm20 posted:

You are correct, trophies determine your match ups, town hall will be compared against your opponent to determine available resources to steal.

The army cost of bees is negligible, and does not even factor into what bases to attack. They are rather effective as well provided you are in the appropriate trophy range. They aren't going to fare very well against strong walls, funneling, and high level splash damage but no army is without compromise.

I don't even get concerned when I have a flop of an attack with bees. I'm out 30-40k and can try again in 25 minutes. Only when I use a bunch of spells to accomplish my failure do I get irritated. That's the best part of bees, they're relentless.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Nauta posted:

So I took a look at some Vietnamese clan.

Those donations... :stare:

edit: this is from last thursday

I'm fantasizing that those 15,000 were all barbs and gobs sent directly to Turbo's clan castle in WeSpent500Dolla.

DontMindMe posted:

Ugh, I have to stop playing this in the morning half awake. I keep gifting troops and then realize after the fact they specifically asked not to give them that specific troop.

It happens, don't beat yourself up over it. Treat it like a preference.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Saw this on reddit today:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Drat, not on Android yet.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Drowning Rabbit posted:

I am literally at the point where I'm in such a gold hole, I'm trying to max out my Elixir stores just so I can upgrade Pekka again. I'm at TH 8 still with un-upgraded walls/defenses and nothing to spend purple drank on. I don't play NEARLY enough for constant raiding to be a thing, as the timer to build the army again just means I get raided and lose a chunk of what I just stole.

Crank out dragons for your homies to keep the purple drank down.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I'm in for the clan wars, cannot wait to drink gallons of pubbie tears.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Do whatever you can to get the BK up to L5, then focus on Hogs.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Time to uncover some defensive builds!!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Drowning Rabbit posted:

I thought the wars were hosed right now. If We Spent wants to go to war we can, but I'll be at PAX all weekend so the war will come and go without me.

I'm down with that. The update crept up on me and have several defensive buildings finishing up as well as level five wizards.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Our attack begins in 8 hours, how does this attacking force sound? I'm usually a bees guy so heavy artillery is not my forte.

3 L2 Dragons
2 L1 PEKKAs
5 L5 Wall Breakers
20 L4 Wizards
1 L5 Lightning Spell
2 L4 Rage spells

Figure I will attack from two sides, lightning for the CC troops and Rage for the wizards with the Pekkas tanking the attacks away from the wizzies.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

RCarr posted:

He's talking about his clan war castle. You can't get rid of them unless someone attacks you and they die in the attack. Same thing happened to our clan. Someone spammed 20 archers in EVERY SINGLE clan war castle.

This is our first go-around on this and it snuck up on most of us. We'll get better at this, we're Goons. We drink pubbie tears and lay waste to any landscape.

Or bitch about unfairness when we don't.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

ixo posted:

I'm having a lot of fun with this update. The rewards are paltry compared to how much elixir we spent on armies and dragons/wizards for the war castles over a million lixir :sweatdrop:, but this is the first time the clan has actually felt like a team. I'm actually rooting for people to win instead of just glossing over the 10th bees/farming replay of the day.

I think 2Poor will be perfectly happy warring once a week, so we don't really feel the need to rearrange the clans. If a couple of the other groups aren't happy, maybe someone should start anew and try to consolidate?

I propose that 2Poor's MVP goes to thinkmeats. He had the lowest ranked base, but 5 people in a row attacked and failed utterly. The 6th attack got a single star against him :patriot:

The whole wars things adds a (fantastic) new element to the game and I'm curious how to manage base upgrading with clan warring. I'm going to have a harder time upgrading multiple defensive structures at a given time in the event that we go to a war and it's not done in time.

Four quick questions:
- The gold/elixir I have will not be touched when raided in clan wars?
- The troops in my REGULAR clan castle, will they be used for defense for clan wars or completely ignored?
- Can I use the troops in my REGULAR clan castle for offense during a clan war, or are they completely ignored?
- Can I use the troops in my Clan Wars clan castle for offense? If so, will they be used up and not available for defense?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

RCarr posted:

GOOD NEWS! Any defenses that are currently upgrading will be available during a clan war! For instance, I had both my Anti-Air defenses upgrading (6 days each) right before our clan war started. On my regular base, they are still upgrading, but on my clan war base, they are in tact at the level they were prior to starting the upgrade.

-No, your resources are safe in clan wars.
-No, the troops that will defend in a clan war are the ones people donate through the clan war screen. You can check your own base in that screen to see what you have been donated.
-Yes, the troops in your regular castle are available for clan war offensive attacks
-No you can't use them for offense, I don't know if they disappear or what.

(For god sakes, don't waste army slots on goblins in Clan Wars. I'm watching multiple replays of my clan members leading a clan war attack by dumping like 40 goblins around the enemy base. Guess what? They are all obliterated in seconds. This is a stupid thing to do.)

Awesome! We should be filling up our regular clan castles with offensive fury!

edit: Last question, any traps that are triggered, are they automatically reset after the first raid or do we need to manually go in and do so for the next clan war raid?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

BuhamutZeo posted:

Yeah, but a line in the op says that you'll never really get the full potential from having more than 3 builders, so I'm just saving up for that and then I don't know what.

I never understood that, I'm at TH8 and always have had all four builders going 24/7. Occasionally when I'm on wall-duty I'll keep one available so I can farm gold and shove it right into my walls but never had an issue with idle builders. Perhaps this is more true at >TH8 though. If it is, it's still worth the fourth builder for all of the months you spend <TH9.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Khablam posted:

Clash is clever; you will feel a need for another builder pretty badly after playing the game for about a week. This is akin to World of Tanks making Tier IV the most awful experience imaginable whilst dangling the carrot of premium Tier V tanks under your nose.

After a not-too-long period of time, you will find it harder to ever get enough gold to keep 4 builders busy, unless you are very active. 3 seems like an ideal number over time, and can be achieved without paying.

If you're farming with bees on cooldown, then aim for 4.

Yes, I'm a crazy bees farmer so this could explain it. I'm at a point where I'm well balanced with 4 and a fifth would likely be idle.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Dizz posted:

Is there any downside to not defending some buildings like my builder huts and campsites?

Zero.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I'm in 500dolla and I'm at TH level 6. I tried my hand at 1 attack each during the last two clan wars that didn't go so hot. My burning question is: What can I do to not screw things up for the clan?

By not doing anything. There should be a recommended base that you should attack and if that is too strong you can attack a lower level one with reduced rewards. However, this takes a base that can be attacked away from someone lower than you but I would prefer that over 0 attempts! There's plenty you can do at TH6, for starters HAVE FUN! Try out attack builds while farming in between wars and see what works.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

UP AND ADAM posted:

500dolla seems as unified as you could expect, really. I think everyone is learning and improving as they go, so I'd like to keep that one whole if we can.

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

500dolla #1 goon clan!

This, we rock. Two wars in, everyone is just getting better and used to the system.

Re: Farming, the only downside I see is switching from farming units to cranking out L5 Wizzies and Dragons to fill our CW castles but that's just a short period of investment. I don't see it getting in the way of my longterm play and CW makes CoC way more fun than not having it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

That being said, I just posted this in 500Dolla but think it bears repeating, please correct me if I am off-base here.

If you're not able to provide L5 Wizards or L3 Dragons, don't donate to the CW CC. Also, if there are 20 spots open, do not donate anything so that a dragon can get in there. I'm dropping a L5 Wizard in the 25 spot CCs so that a dragon can still make it in there.

I started filling clan castles from the bottom up but couldn't put as many L5 wizards in as there were L4 Archers taking spots up. Those things won't do much at that level compared to a castle full of death bringers.

Just a proposal, crucify me if I'm wrong. The more coordinated we are the better we'll kick some rear end. We're up against some stiff competition this go-around. They have a 1400 trophy minimum and only 5 inactives.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

kirtar posted:

Looks like I won't be much use on this one since even their lowest guy is higher TH than I am.

You get two attacks regardless, can't hurt to try. No downside to attacking and get zero stars, am I correct? You never know what can happen!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

kirtar posted:

I think I can probably 1 star them for loot, but they'll probably have been 2-3 starred by the time I get to it.

:getin: first then!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Dancing Peasant posted:

I feel like goon clans are pretty much like relegation. I don't know who the Premier League equivalent is, either Pekka or 500dolla. It's kinda amusing though.

At this point, we should probably just relegate/promote dudes within clans or something.

500Dolla is definitely the Premier league. We can have a weighting system based on trophies, donations, and overall handsomeness.

Call me Sepp Blatter.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

You really want to associate yourself with pond scum like Sepp?

Irony, thou art my name.

donations

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

RVT posted:

Based on our limited experience, it seems like the clans have an elo.

2poor was matched up against some turds for the first war, matched up against another 1-0 clan for the second, and matched up against a 2-0 clan for the third.

This could be just random, but until we have more data I'm going to go with the theory that there is a clan elo.

Elo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Drowning Rabbit posted:

How do you play online multiplayer games and not know the Elo system?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system

Because I assumed it was witchcraft?