Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Personperson14 posted:

What's the use in going from one series with a decent future to one who's future is up in the air every few minutes?

I think the one "who's future is up in the air every few minutes" is, by default, the american sports car racing series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think we should never mention COTA in this thread ever again, unless Indycar is actually racing there.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I have never liked Sears Point at all.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I was just thinking that I'd like to see JV give Indycar another shot. Good driver, even if his reputation is kind of shot at this point.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

VikingSkull posted:

Cars may have been unsafe in the past but at least they crippled or killed our heroes before they became "that guy" who didn't know when to gracefully exit their careers.

The 1992 Indy 500 had Gordon Johncock, Al Unser Sr, Mario Andretti, and AJ Foyt starting in it, with a combined age of around 500.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I mean, seriously, JV is 42. That's silly for Formula One, but Indycar's had a history of people running fairly competitively into their 40s.

The guy was a sunny day away from being the only modern triple-crowner (and I really hope he gets another shot at it), give him a chance.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

VikingSkull posted:

Yeah, while aero was definitely a thing in the early 90's, somehow I'm pretty sure that the G loads drivers experience today is much greater than what it was twenty years ago.

Really? I mean, the 1992 cars were running faster lap times with a sharper turning radius, thanks to the apron still being there.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it's kind of funny because JV was kind of disliked by the Indy contingent back in the day- I remember stories where he was at the victory banquet after he had won the 500, where he clearly didn't really give a poo poo about the Honor of Indy or whatever- it was just another race to him (on his way to F1)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Cygni posted:

F1 drivers have historically struggled at Indy anyway.

(!!!)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
OP I don't think just going over a bunch of F1 washouts (a lot of whom, like Moreno, were actually fairly successful in Indycar) is grounds to dismiss Vettel by saying "F1 drivers are historically unsuccessful at Indy", especially considering the rich ~history~ of drivers trying to make it on both sides of the pond.

Also Riccardo Patrese never drove in Indycar. (Also, you missed Bobby Rahal, and Danny Sullivan re: Indy winners with prior F1 starts)

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 28, 2014

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The most trash F1 WDC for sure, imo.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
So is NJGP dead, or are they going to get all 1982 and try running 3 races in the US?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Watkins Glen was removed from the schedule because the organizers had no money, not the other way around. The track was also seen as somewhat run-down and unsafe, even for 1970s standards.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't think "nobody here likes F1 except the people who like F1" is a very difficult thing to prove

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
ehh, it's fine. it's not a change that damages the legitimacy of the title, because there are legitimate arguments that the triple crown events should be more important. neutral on this one.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
for fun, try looking at the points systems CART used in their early years, looks like we might be going full circle

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
"keeping the points battle close" isn't a relevant criterion when it comes to point systems. the point is to try to have an imperfect quantitative answer to the question of who the best driver of the year was, and giving more importance to the longest races of the year is justifiable. If the points battle stinks this year, so be it. Any one of a hundred things other than the points system can cause that.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Andretti utterly failed to make any effort to get the garage on his side with his fantastic "commute from the US" habit, which is about as basic "politics" as you can get. You can't succeed in F1 without the support of your garage.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Uncle Jam posted:

Yeah, it was pretty much all of Michael's fault.

But could you blame him? He could return to racing in the US and become royalty on his name alone, why should he totally change his life for something that would only improve his position if he ended up being a very tip top driver?

Then why bother trying in the first place?

Mikey probably thought he could commute from the US because back in the 70s, when Mario was racing in F1, you really could do F1 and also do some racing back home on the side. poo poo had changed, and if he didn't realize that you needed absolute commitment to succeed, he was an idiot.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
IIRC with both Unser and Andretti, I recall something to the effect that the teams were treating them as if they were basically F3000 champions, while Andretti and Unser thought the Indycar title was more respectable than a feeder series title.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Cygni posted:

F1 is and was full of self important cuntrags.

It seems like Michael should have been much more successful than he was, then.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I have sympathy for Michael Andretti because he had a terrible team situation with Ayrton Senna right there to make him look bad, and a young Mika Hakkinen, fresh off two years of experience in an under-preforming Lotus team waiting in the wings, which had to have put immense pressure on him. That said, the idea that the team sabotaged Michael Andretti deliberately is really dumb, lol.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
When's Chico Serra going to get some love :smith:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

animeliker posted:

That track was piece of poo poo anyway.

The road course was boring as poo poo but the roval owned, it was one of the few big ovals Indycar raced on that had braking points, and it actually made for some really interesting races.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think anyone's who watched any Indycar street race last year will agree with getting rid of double file restarts, becuase, jesus christ.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Cannot Find Server posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVl2PuojmJg

I don't think this will be a huge problem dude.

Exactly, you should at least have enough faith in your package that you don't have to force "action" by constant cautions breeding cautions because of double file restarts.

Like, yeah, sometimes you get unexciting races. That's racing, it happens.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Cannot Find Server posted:

I never found restart pileups caused by double-file restarts on tracks that were clearly not made for them to be very entertaining :shrug:

What, you don't like it when a solid hour of a race consists of half a lap under green, stupid crash, yellow, half a lap, stupid crash, yellow, etc

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Tasty livery IMO

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
22 is a perfectly decent grid number but seeing a drop, especially when you'd expect the lowest numbers to be the first few years after a new car, is a bit unsettling.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Trackforum has been spreading hot rumors of teams jumping from ALMS to Indycar for like five years now. I'll believe it when I see it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
when did rolling restarts become something drivers have no idea how to do

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The IRL drew comedy numbers for crowds the last few years they raced at Phoenix. This is not some kind of NASCAR plot to kill the heritage of open wheelers or some poo poo.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Apart from the split, it's probably because after about 2001 Indycars and Champcars combined for ten consecutive years of absolutely dogshit racing product.

As for running to NASCAR, I'm just wary of any scenario that involves DMG taking over Indycar. Apart from them murdering AMA, (and I really do not have high hopes for new new USRC after Daytona and Sebring) this would result in Daytona owning every single major aspect of US motorsport apart from, like, GRC or some poo poo, which would be bad out of principle.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 1, 2014

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

animeliker posted:

2002 was the last good CART year, but otherwise agreed.

2002 had a semi-decent grid but I remember the racing that year being pretty poor- if I remember right, there was a lot of contention about them allowing traction control that year.

2002 IRL was actually decent- the 1999-2002 cars were pretty nice oval open-wheelers. The 2003-2011 cars were the worst cars I've ever seen.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The V8s own that event now, I don't think they'd be willing to go back to being the support race. Maybe a second date, like the ALMS set up for the Race of a Thousand Years, but I doubt it. Getting Surfers back would be a much more feasible option.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
My dream date for Indycar in Australia would be Phillip Island (because Bathurst wouldn't happen in a million years, shut up)- that, and Eastern Creek (which sucks) are the two permanent circuits probably most capable of hosting a major open-wheel race.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I cant believe a CCF regular is a huge dumbass in real life lol.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I hate Ed Carpenter lol. Conway is cool, though.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I actually think people who work for IMS should definitely be harassed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
fans were bitching at both Long Beach and St Pete about the removal of double file restarts so maybe crashing does attract viewers.

• Locked thread