Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Holy poo poo, I missed that. Pro as gently caress :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The only real cool thing about CotA is the elevation change, that owns. The rest is new and shiny and modern, so it seems cooler than it is, but outside of those two things it's never going to be on the level of Laguna Seca, Road Atlanta, the Glen etc. etc.

It's a solid road course but way over-hyped, and I don't know that it can sustain itself when F1 inevitably pulls out.

e- though when they tear it down it will take the thread less than a year (myself included) to start remembering races fondly like we do other mediocre tracks such as North Wilkesboro

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 1, 2014

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Monticello Motor Club is how American road courses should be built, CotA seems like they airlifted a track here from Europe. It looks artificial, and the truly great American road courses have a common theme of all more or less looking like features of the natural landscape.

I think that's my personal reason for disliking CotA.

Uncle Jam posted:

Laguna Seca is a terrible layout. Its like log flume, a very boring slow rise of isolated corners to the one interesting part.

You gotta admit, though, that one interesting part is extra interesting.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
It's amazing what happens to home-grown American open wheelers. His dad was a loving hotshoe, too.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Bentai posted:

Nigel Mansell?

:drat:

That made me laugh fairly hard.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
she should just get a Truck seat

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
She's pretty good for a chick, but she's just like countless other midpackers throughout history. Qualifying for Indy with burned hands will be the memory I keep of her, and that's about it.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

FuzzySkinner posted:

I don't think the boys at Daytona Beach will be too happy with this:

http://racereviewonline.com/indycar-derrick-walker-invites-nascar-drivers-pilot-real-cars/

I think he's been hanging around Robin Miller too much. ;)

Low hanging fruit but does he not remember how bad Indy drivers do when they seat swap?

I don't understand why people poo poo on motorsport when they participate in motorsport, it's the same loving thing! "Oh those guys that hunt white tail deer are loving dumb, I hunt mule deer like a real man :smug:"

No wonder auto racing as a whole sucks.

quote:

NASCAR has struggled to have as much on track passing as IndyCar. The open wheel series is second-to-none as far as on track product. They had a record 68 lead changes in last year’s Indy 500 which is the norm at nearly every race. They have thrilling side-by-side action to which NASCAR uses gimmicks to try and recreate. NASCAR also tries to create that championship buzz by doing a Chase and modifying it constantly to keep up with IndyCar always having two, three and sometimes four drivers vying for the title in the last race.

I mean c'mon, look at that paragraph. That's delusional as gently caress no matter what your feelings are. They have 70 lead changes at every race? loving really? Remember all that side to side action they had at Pocono?

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 18, 2014

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
My favorite drivers are all guys who raced in multiple series.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
My problem isn't with him, it's with the articles author who appears to take Walker seriously.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Any driver in any series is more impressive now than earlier generations. That's why comparing eras sucks, because every era is generally more difficult than the era before. Competition today is lightyears ahead of what it was when AJ and Mario were winning.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
great plan we get you on the inside and then you kill the beast from within

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
you know what happened to sympathizers during the Red Scare, don't you

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
PJ knows the deal. You look at the Cup champions from the last 20 years, all dirt drivers. The last Cup champion who did not come from dirt of some form or another was Alan Kulwicki. Let that sink in a minute.

Like he said, it would benefit any driver. It teaches elements of car control. In NASCAR it teaches you part of the skillset to let you control a slide, which is terrible in Indycar. However, it also teaches you to recognize the limit between grip and no grip, and that IS a valuable skill in Indy.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 25, 2014

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
That's a great point, too.

e- new page content upgrade

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 25, 2014

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Cars may have been unsafe in the past but at least they crippled or killed our heroes before they became "that guy" who didn't know when to gracefully exit their careers.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
All 3 looked incredibly silly by that point, too, especially AJ.

His temper got less impressive when he started hobbling and slapping instead of running and punching.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I'm not making GBS threads on JV in particular and he definitely has a shot at being competitive, it's just an overall thought that popped to mind.

If he wins or is impressive, good on him, but if he sucks add his name to the miles long list of "dudes who went to Indy at the end of their career and were horribly disappointed, or worse".

e- also he hasn't been in an open wheel car for like a decade, that's never a good thing

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Yeah, while aero was definitely a thing in the early 90's, somehow I'm pretty sure that the G loads drivers experience today is much greater than what it was twenty years ago.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
PP won this one, sorry guys.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
gently caress, didn't even consider that.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

KingShibby posted:

Probably this one. If IndyCar didn't exist then the only open wheel you'd see in the US is the F1 race at COTA

USAC and WoO would like to have a word with you :colbert:

e- and if cheap engines that allowed ease of entry to the sport was a thing that mattered all the cars would be running small block V8's. Those can make 600-700hp in their sleep. Obviously price is a small component.

Also let's stop wondering how we can make top level motorsports cheaper, it's never going to be no matter how hard you try. They could have the IROC guys build all the cars and the Red teams are just gonna spend that extra money hiring the best personnel. Indy racing has and always will be a sport for the 1%, even in the glory days. Smokey spent $40,000 on his pod car, in the mid 60's that's the price of four Ferrari's. Which isn't much cheaper than today, is it?

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 27, 2014

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Ok, yeah that's a fair point.

Chevy definitely I can see having that outlook, but I think Honda is content regardless. They spent how many years alone?

Honestly, I think the best two makes to cater to would be Dodge or Ford. Both have worked with Cosworth before, both would be great to increase the American market share, and in Dodge's case they have Fiat, Alfa Romeo and Ferrari to work with, too.

Now that I think about it, Alfa would probably be the best bet in a perfect world. The Fiat/Chrysler group is going to be relaunching Alfa in the US sometime soon, and making a big splash in the motorsport world in the US would only help their image here, which isn't exactly stellar.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Maybe they could get a Mercedes and have it driven by Schumacher's head in a jar.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
At Indy, you can still be a great driver in not great equipment and have a shot. Look at Sato two years ago. In F1, the drivers are second to the cars in total. A top flight Indy team isn't going to hire Vettel because they have quality drivers with oval experience already, and Vettel couldn't handle trying to win with a midpack car, IMO.

He's not a good fit for Indy.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

FuzzySkinner posted:

a good answer.

I will say this, and I honestly believe it.

If F1 somehow found a way to have Vettel, Hamilton, etc run the 500, I do believe it'd help it's popularity in the states, and the 500 as an event world wide.

The last time F1 was truly relevant in the states was during the Watkins-Glen days when you'd see the top talent for both compete in those races.

It'd help raise global interest, but no one here gives a gently caress about F1 drivers to really say it would drive domestic interest up.

Kurt Busch will do more on that front than an F1 driver would.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

FuzzySkinner posted:

Right, a guy like Vettel doesn't put more eyes on the television set here. But he would put more eyes for F1 broadcasts in the states, and slowly grow that form of the sport more popular here. He'd get mentioned during the broadcast, on sportscenter, etc. That's way more than what F1 has really gotten in here in the past in the states.

So you'd like Vettel to run Indy to increase American interest in F1? That's, uh, interesting.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Gotta say, gonna be rooting for Kurt really loving hard come May.

I kinda miss the old rear end in a top hat Kurt, but this new Kurt is way better. Now we just gotta get him in a Pro Stock again. (yes he competed in the NHRA once)

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
What he's done in the last two years impressed the gently caress out of me, there's literally no one in Cup that I'd rather have in SHR than him.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
There's not even a need for 1 USGP, honestly.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Sorry Fuzzy, that part of New York gets snow pretty regularly by October.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Bernie has no loving clue what North American race fans want.

If he did, he wouldn't even try, because we* sure as gently caress don't want F1.

*that being the we of US race fans, not the loving foamers that post in these threads

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
sub 1.0 is not a good rating even in the age of the internet

and $10 gets me into the local track to see racing better than anything I get on TV

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
You guys do know who owns the Glen....right?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Kilonum posted:

Speak for yourself, rear end in a top hat :mad:

way to prove my point haha

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Donnie did it better than anyone, if you ignore the fact that he never did both on the same day!

Why is this an article? Oh, ESPN.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

FuzzySkinner posted:

do you think his take on super mods is legit?

Kind of why I left it here. ;).

Actually I had stopped reading it, haha.

First, they are wrong on the horsepower. 490 is way too low, back in Donnie's day they were well over 600hp. They also refer to them in the past tense, like they died off or something. Other than that, yeah, supermods back then did prepare you for Indy more than they would today. Ask Gordon Johncock or Davey Hamilton. In the late 60's and early 70's Indy still ran ovals almost exclusively.

It's worth noting that he qualified once at 140mph on a high banked paved half mile, which for the time is insane. A few years ago, the Outlaws set the all time track record here at Middletown, 16.283 @ 144. Flat, dirt, 5/8ths. Shows how far racing has come.

e- Some of us watched this in the SASCAR cytube, but for those that didn't, here's a history of supermods.

Some period supermod footage.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 7, 2014

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
240mph is no joke.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
He wasn't off I don't think, if Hennessey can make a street legal car go 270 an Indycar would've been that fast by now.

Of course, that's if the sanctioning body gave 0 fucks about safety and the drivers stayed conscious for the full lap.

e- In the 90's 500hp anything was a big deal, nowadays street cars have up to 2,500hp. Build an Indycar around a Nelson Racing Engines mill and see what happens, haha.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Throw this in a chassis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

jammyozzy posted:

This is colossally :spergin: but by some napkin maths you'd need a gnat's cock more than 1500hp to crack 300mph, all other things (drag coefficient basically) being equal.

2200hp propelled the Poteet and Main Speed Demon streamliner to a 462mph exit speed at Bonneville. Lower coefficient than an Indy car, but all things being equal an Indy car "should" hit 300 with less than 2,000.

2,000 horsepower can be achieved in a relatively safe for 4 laps or so setup, race speeds and engine survivability would naturally be a different animal all together.

e- also of note, the only engines that make these levels of power right now, reliably, are American style pushrod V8's. Some other styles of inline sixes (2JZ, Aussie Ford, etc) and some 4 rotor Mazdas can, but haven't in significant numbers or have reliability issues for anything other than drag racing.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 12, 2014

• Locked thread