Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Alex Tagliani will be running NASCAR Canadian Tire series, so you can count him out for any open rides right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

LordPants posted:

How can you hate a series that runs Mosport, Trois-Rivières and then a series of .250 and .333 ovals.
Because NASCAR took a better series, pissed all over it and came up with this poo poo?

Its a blatent cash-grab up here, even moreso than down south. Rule changes that added nothing to the product, just to get nascar-backed suppliers involved, playing politics with race dates, ignoring Canadian holiday weekends for scheduling up until last season, the fact that they wont reach out to other manufacturers for support - I can go on.

If it wasn't for their excellent TV deal and the truck race at mosport, the series would be dead.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Speaking of ex-open wheel guys running stockcars, Mario Dominguez is running NASCAR Mexico this year.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

That's one way to look at things.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Irwindale.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

:fh:

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

What is Scott Speed doing at Andretti Autosport? :ohdear:

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

ITS THE MONTH OF MAY, FOLKS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BVn5EvRveM

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

It's the lovechild of Pikes Peak and the default oval from rFactor. :getin:

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

1995 is loving awesome. :canada:
2002 should have been a good one as well, but let's not bring that back up again.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I thought Indycars were using the full F1 circut at Indy this weekend.

The course they're using instead gives me The Limpest Dick.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

FuzzySkinner posted:

I still think the problem inherently with the guy was he listened to perhaps the worst loving people in the world in creating the IRL.
:vince:

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I'm watching the 1995 500 again this afternoon instead of Nationwide. :canada:

Looking at what we had and what we've got now, Tony George can go suck cocks for eternity.

E: It's like taking a thriving city, forcing people out for 15 years and then trying to gather everyone back together to fill the city again.

Boomer The Cannon fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 24, 2014

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

That Michael Andretti pass 15 laps in :vince::fap:

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Let me get this straight - Instead of penalizing Villeneuve with a stop-and-go penalty to hold him 2 laps, they just took 2 laps away from him and let him keep track position? :suicide:

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

gently caress USAC. If I had a time machine, I'd obliterate that poo poo out of existence.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

N: I finished watching the 1995 Indy 500
V: COME THE gently caress ON, USAC :fuckoff:

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Indycar 2014: Win One For the Gimper

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Great ending, good race, but gently caress that winner.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Congrats to Ryan Hunter-Reay for winning the Indy 500 :911:

OPERATORS ARE STANDING BY FOR ALL OF THE NEW FANS, SPONSORS AND TRACKS FLOCKING TO THE SPORT

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

ARCA and Trucks.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Kyalami is actually up for auction, so Goon project? :getin:

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I don't know how many Canadians come across the border for it, but Canadian Tire Series or CTCC would be good companion events for Belle Isle.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

2001 Atlanta 500 Classic time :dogout:

E: This is like restrictor-plate racing with an anvil strapped to your lower back.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I tried watching this race, but Jason Priestly's commentary was the straw that broke the camel's back.

E: I wonder how many drivers have won both in the IRL and CART?

Boomer The Cannon fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jun 6, 2014

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

FuzzySkinner posted:

The majority of the folks I've met who go to MIS aren't what I would call "Hardcore" fans. I seem to recall it's just a couple of middle aged people that go out to drink and camp out.

It's pretty much the same type of demo of people who would go to a (pop) Country show in Ohio.
Bull-loving-poo poo. I don't know about the MI/OH people that go, but I'd say at least 40% of the fans that go to MIS are people from Ontario (which compared to MI/OH, actually have money to spend) and a significant number of people are racing fans or competitors at a short-track level, who are involved and generally know what's up.

If MIS would get an open-wheel race, you'd want to cater to that same demographic and the folks that went to Toronto during the CART days, to get the best of both worlds.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I think you'd be surprised at the number of Canadian fans who migrate to Michigan, Watkins Glen, Pocono and New Hampshire over the course of the season, but especially Michigan, with the border being 40 minutes away.

Heck, there had to be 15-20 Canadian license plates in our parking section at Talladega a couple of years ago.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

There's only one problem - there's really nobody coming up after Hinch who would fill the need.

The time to strike was 10 years ago, where there were a bunch of Canadians in IRL/CART and Atlantics/Mazda/F3, before they all hosed off to sportscars and stockcars.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

VikingSkull posted:

NASCAR hasn't ignored Canada, it runs a touring series there and also has NASCAR home tracks IIRC.

I get your sentiment that the top series doesn't go there, but they've invested in Canadian grassroots racing, something Indycar hasn't done.

Indycar has a wild notion it can just show up in foreign countries because Indycar exists.
Take it from me, NASCAR has "helped" Canadian stockcar racing like the US Army helped the Vietnamese many moons ago.
It's a blatant cash grab without any fucks given towards long-term sustainability, and without any sense of how the Canadian racing scene actually functioned when they went in.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

That much is true.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

http://racing.ap.org/article/future-indycar-pocono-serious-jeopardy for more information...

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

FuzzySkinner posted:

A quality opinion.

Honestly I feel there needs to be two areas.

You need to Hulman and Co. handle marketing the 500, Indy GP and everything else related to that.

You need to have ASM, and JMI take over everything else outside of that.
Honestly, I feel that none of those groups should have ANYTHING to do with AOWR management going forward.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

devmd01 posted:

Its curt cavin official now.
It's a bruised heart...:drat:
http://openwheelnow.com/jack-hawksworth-sidelined-pocono-indycar-500/

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Race is moved up 30 minutes because of the threat of rain.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

So is Nicole briscoe - its a perfect match.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

:siren: RACE ONE IS IN 10 MINUTES OR SO ON CNBC :siren:

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

....is Tony Kanaan. drat, son.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

:holymoley:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

FuzzySkinner posted:

To field a car at the Indy 500 it costs 1 Million dollars. If you make the field? You get about 1/4th of that back, so roughly around 750,000.

Tony is willing to throw 25 millions dollars at building a domed race track.

There's my answer.

e: This is likely not to mention a partnership that could likely be formed with any given team, and the ability to probably quite easily bring sponsorship to the table.
Tony is willing to throw 25 million dollars in someone else's money via investments to put a roof on eldora. That's a hell of a difference.

Until then, Tony is like Schroedinger's Cat - he might get Indy or not get indy at the same time.

• Locked thread