Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

FuzzySkinner posted:

CART died in 2002.

Sorry, but there is no "CART" without Roger, Michael, Bobby, and Chip. For as much as we cheer against the Red cars at times, they indeed MAKE a series, and make a series legitimate.

(To add the IRL wasn't exactly "legitimate" pre-2001 IMO).

It wasn't legitimate until at the very least 2003.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I do tip my hat to the IRL for surviving between 1996-2002.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

VikingSkull posted:

The only real cool thing about CotA is the elevation change, that owns. The rest is new and shiny and modern, so it seems cooler than it is, but outside of those two things it's never going to be on the level of Laguna Seca, Road Atlanta, the Glen etc. etc.

It's a solid road course but way over-hyped, and I don't know that it can sustain itself when F1 inevitably pulls out.

e- though when they tear it down it will take the thread less than a year (myself included) to start remembering races fondly like we do other mediocre tracks such as North Wilkesboro

Everybody does this, unless the track is absolutely terrible (Caesar's Palace)

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Dudley posted:

Not a hope in hell.

Long Beach maybe (it was at one point an F1 race) but the others hells no.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cygni posted:

F1 test seats are a complete dead end, but happy she found some cash to at least do something next year.

Yeah. Many F3000 champions ended their careers in those seats.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cygni posted:

Double post for good news, word going around that Verizon has signed a long term deal to be the title sponsor of IndyCar, including big promotion spending.

e: Cavin reporting it now

Good news.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

WindyMan posted:

So what you're trying to say is, the IRL has lost the Open Wheel Wars

They lost a long time ago. The split was stupid anyway.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fag Boy Jim posted:

The 1992 Indy 500 had Gordon Johncock, Al Unser Sr, Mario Andretti, and AJ Foyt starting in it, with a combined age of around 500.

It's gotta be said that times have changed considerably; I don't know if the over 40s can compete effectively anymore.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Alfa would be a good choice. They could redeem their image in Indycar, last time it didn't go so well.

I wonder if Toyota, Mazda, or Nissan would be interested.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
On the whole F1 to Indy drivers have fared much better than Indy to F1 drivers, and that is a fact.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cygni posted:

Mario and JV won F1 Championships, and Emmo, Zanardi, and Nigel won IndyCar/CART/IRL championships. It's not a dick measuring competition though so really who cares. It says more about those guys than it does either series.

Can we not defend Nigel Mansell here please.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I hope Indycar doesn't lose Long Beach.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Caesar's Palace is the worst drat track of all time, and nobody wanted to watch cars drive around a glorified Auto-X course in 118 degree heat. It wasn't Bernie that hastened its demise.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
There really isn't a need to have 2 US GPS for F1, although Long Beach was an F1 event in the past. In a perfect world both could run there.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The Azeri race should be held on those oil platforms that are slowly sinking into the Caspian sea.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I like the US GP. F1 does pretty well in Canada too, so there is room for both series in North America.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Why did Ganassi switch to Chevrolet?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

VikingSkull posted:

He wasn't off I don't think, if Hennessey can make a street legal car go 270 an Indycar would've been that fast by now.

Of course, that's if the sanctioning body gave 0 fucks about safety and the drivers stayed conscious for the full lap.

e- In the 90's 500hp anything was a big deal, nowadays street cars have up to 2,500hp. Build an Indycar around a Nelson Racing Engines mill and see what happens, haha.

To be honest they probably could have hit those speeds 15 years ago.

EDIT: I should say safety be damned.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 12, 2014

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Dudley posted:

He seems to be in some limbo here, he's now driving for a team that has finished dead last in both years of their existence. In 2012 they scored one (1) point.

A run on the championship seems unlikely and if he has any hope of European progressing he now needs that.

As much as I hate to say it GP2 (Like F3000 before it) are where careers go to die.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I am going to call bullshit on that article, especially the Andretti part. Andretti severely underperformed in what was a pretty good car. I do agree about the CART thing - the split killed a series which had great potential and was pretty popular.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Sulman posted:

The difference in mentality is huge. In F1, there's little respect unless you're at the very top of the pile. Andretti was a superstar in the US and I I read that coming to Europe was a nasty jolt to earth, but I can't recall the source, sorry. His wife in particular struggled with the relative anonymity.

As for Patrick Head, he's notoriously tough with drivers. He didn't even respect Patrese's motivation by that point, and he was absolutely right - he did test slow, and he wasn't with the team in 1993.

Michael was on a hiding to nothing in 1993. The most technologically advanced cars ever (even by today's standards) and a resurgent and highly motivated Ayrton Senna. I remember that podium in Italy and being pretty happy for him, but by then it was obviously far too late.

I was gonna say too that "being faster than Ricardo Patrese" during that time wasn't all that impressive; he clearly did not care any more going by his performance in 1993.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Personperson14 posted:

Oh well like jesus there's 500000000 other brazillian open wheel drivers they can name a track after, not the same one that already had one.

That track was piece of poo poo anyway.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Indycar failed to capitalize on it's 80s and early 90s potential. A shame, really.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The tobacco ban is bullshit, this goes for every motorsport.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
SurfersParadiseSurfersParadiseSURFERSPARADISE *begins convulsing on floor*

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Sato fell off pretty hard.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
22 cars is not that bad of a grid tbh. Ideally I'd want 27-28 but the racing is good so who cares.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

skaboomizzy posted:

I watched the NASCAR race live and St Pete on DVR today (my folks were visiting and my dad is old). The 16th driver in a 22-car IndyCar street race field is much more competitive than the 31st driver in a 43-car NASCAR race or whoever is trundling around at the back of the pack in F1.

It's also nostalgia haze for me; I was a CART fan when I was really young but in hindsight the back-markers in those times were pretty bad; like Arnd Meier and Shigeaki Hattori. It seemed like Meier was always in dead last.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not blaming Hawksworth for that happening.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I find humor in the fact that a family with the surname "France" is in charge of an American sport.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

KingShibby posted:

It completely baffles me that people would rather watch NASCAR over IndyCar. IndyCars are faster, higher tech, better looking (imo), and require more skill to drive.

The only reasons I can think of are that they can bump and that they are simpler for Americans to understand.

CART and the IRL pissed away any goodwill the series had after 1995; Americans "understood" it just fine and enjoyed it.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Apart from the split, it's probably because after about 2001 Indycars and Champcars combined for ten consecutive years of absolutely dogshit racing product.

As for running to NASCAR, I'm just wary of any scenario that involves DMG taking over Indycar. Apart from them murdering AMA, (and I really do not have high hopes for new new USRC after Daytona and Sebring) this would result in Daytona owning every single major aspect of US motorsport apart from, like, GRC or some poo poo, which would be bad out of principle.

2002 was the last good CART year, but otherwise agreed.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fag Boy Jim posted:

2002 had a semi-decent grid but I remember the racing that year being pretty poor- if I remember right, there was a lot of contention about them allowing traction control that year.

2002 IRL was actually decent- the 1999-2002 cars were pretty nice oval open-wheelers. The 2003-2011 cars were the worst cars I've ever seen.

I liked 2002 but I was also pretty young at the time and I loved both the B02/00 and Da Matta, so it was good for me. But yeah he did stomp the field. The quality of the field dropped markedly after that. I don't know if you were watching CART/Champ car after 2002 - I did all the way to 2007. Bad times.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I will say, even though I hate the IRL, that the sheer amount of entries (particularly in 1996) was cool.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cygni posted:

and Tony George was literally paying teams cash to roll out cars in May, a practice that didn't stop until like 2008.

I did not know that, thanks.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm looking forward to the Toronto double header again.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Wasabi the J posted:

It's been two years since I worked at the hotel with big fountains, but I wanna say it was a Lumina. I remember it made the best noise in the parking garage; you could here the belt tires squeal for a whole minute or two.

I hate the goddamn Lumina.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I thought maybe he at least participated in grassroots motorsports or something until I heard the word "Lumina".

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Even after the spilt I called them Indycars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Mark Plourde entered his first Indycar race at the age of 13.

• Locked thread