Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

KingShibby posted:

Don't get your hopes up, that sort of thing is industry standard.

Like I've said many times, Verizon is perfect for IndyCar and IndyCar provides all the advertising they need. All they have to do is put a yellow stock car on a track against a DW-12 for 30 seconds and compare it to their network, enough said.

The marketing really writes itself. Not to mention the extensive content distribution network IndyCar would have access to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

drgitlin posted:

It's why Finns make good racing drivers too. They spend their formative years going sideways down gravel roads.

Or racing on ice and snow.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

VikingSkull posted:

Yeah, you kinda don't have a choice at Indy, and you'll be at the 500 this year while I won't so I should probably shut up lol

Pocono is the worst, but seeing a race in person never sucks.

Ahem.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

VikingSkull posted:

True, that would have kinda sucked, but it would have been worth it for the story. That's a race that is more historic than a poo poo ton of others.

That is true. And being there was quite the experience. I just wouldn't categorize it as a good one. It really seemed for a while like there would literally be a riot. And I don't care what any of the commentators said, the vast majority of the people throwing poo poo on the track were the all the people from overseas that came for the race. Understandably so, as well, given how much most of them had spent to get there.

I did get to meet some cool Brazilians and a couple nice Spaniards, though, so it wasn't all bad.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

KingShibby posted:

Agreed but I haven't seen people shotgunning beers at 8am... yet...

The weekend is very young.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

KingShibby posted:

Pocono is on my list of "bucket list" tracks because it's 10+ hours away to drive, and that's a long rear end drive.

It is 11.5 hours of driving for me, and I've been twice. I usually do it in one shot, though I wouldn't recommend that for most people. I take a 30 minute nap at gas stops if I need it and it isn't a big deal to knock out. I'm probably going to go next year (assuming it stays on the schedule), so if you want to drive a bit south we can meet up.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

skaboomizzy posted:

I'm not sure which thread in SAS has the most cynical, bitter population on average: Indycar, NASCAR, F1 or cricket.

The cricket thread is pretty abysmal when it comes to positive opinions on anything. I think I'd have to vote for that.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I'll definitely be going to that, but gently caress me 12% loving buyer's premium?! :gonk:

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

devmd01 posted:

Panther auction is live. Looking at the terms I can't bid on anything, no way I can get down there by 3pm tomorrow to pick up anything I win. :argh:

I'm more taking issue with their ridiculous 18% internet premium since work boned me and I can't get there today. :(

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Man, most of these trophies are hideous...

edit: bought some pelican cases, on the hunt for those carbon fiber steering wheels.

Pvt. Public fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 23, 2014

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

drat, I'm only two hours away from there and I've got nothing going on that weekend.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

If you're talking moving freight, though, Indy's airport is a major FedEx hub and is home to quite a few air logistics companies. And realistically, it is one of the easier airports for people to get in, around, and out of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

gret posted:

They probably ran out of Wheldon's diecasts and just decided to swap in a driver with equivalent present day racing skills.

:golfclap:

• Locked thread