Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
If there was a thread on this, I didn't see it. Tool has announced 5 West Coast dates coming in March:

- Tuesday, March 4: Spokane, WA @ Spokane Arena
- Thursday, March 6: Portland, OR @ MODA CENTER
- Friday, March 7: Eugene, OR @ Matthew Knight Arena
- Sunday, March 9: Reno, NV @ Reno Event Center
- Tuesday, March 11: San Francisco, CA @ Bill Graham Civic

Reno and San Francisco go on sale on Friday, 1/24 at 10 AM. The other 3 shows go on sale at the same time or sometime Saturday.

To be honest, I'm a little leery about giving Maynard another $75 a ticket after the phoned-in A Perfect Circle reunion performances and the amount of time he's spent on his awful wines and Puscifer's bizarre music. That being said, the show I attended in 2003 was one on my top 5 concerts ever, so I'll probably give them one last shot.

One can assume they'll be playing some new material from the upcoming album which, in typical fashion, has no title, release date, or any updates on progress other than it is "tedious."

Anyway, post here if you're going to any of these shows. I'm trying for tickets to the Reno show myself, simply because it's on a weekend. If you think the band sucks now, (or has always sucked), feel free to post that too. Maybe you'll talk me out of going and save me hundreds of dollars! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fromsinkingsands
Oct 10, 2005

Gotta find Jason.
Tool is my favorite band and I always welcome a tour, but the last few times I've seen them has been rehashed setlist after rehashed setlist and I definitely feel cheated as a fan. I'm really hoping they play some new material / bring back the classics. Good chance I'll be seeing them in SF and LA if they announce a date.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
I'd love it if they released a frank statement about album progress/future touring plans. Like that'll ever happen though...

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

Both Reno and SF sold out in like 30 seconds, so if you're trying for one of these other places tomorrow you should probably have multiple people on multiple computers! I didn't get poo poo.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

coronaball posted:

Both Reno and SF sold out in like 30 seconds, so if you're trying for one of these other places tomorrow you should probably have multiple people on multiple computers! I didn't get poo poo.

I managed to grab 2 tickets to the Portland show but it's in one of the shittier sections. I was ready and waiting to buy the second it opened too.

nomapple posted:

I'd love it if they released a frank statement about album progress/future touring plans. Like that'll ever happen though...

HA!

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 24, 2014

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I guess I'll be the weirdo and say that I love the Puscifer albums then. Not "Don't Shoot The Messanger" and I haven't listened to "Donkey Punch The Night", but they're really good music if you're not looking for more music like Tool/APC.

If they ever come to the east coast and I have the money, I'll have to see if I could drag my friend. She's probably seen them a half dozen times or so, but I never have.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

coronaball posted:

They added a second show for SF on Wednesday 3/12 and I got me 8 tickets for that. :)

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

coronaball posted:

To be honest, I'm a little leery about giving Maynard another $75 a ticket after the phoned-in A Perfect Circle reunion performances and the amount of time he's spent on his awful wines and Puscifer's bizarre music.

His wine venture seems kind of silly but I don't fault Maynard for spending time on Puscifer, the music they make is better than most APC songs.

I wouldn't pay to see Tool live these days but I'll give the album a shot even though 10k Days was mediocre. The vocals will suck but the music might be interesting if they decide to actually try something new.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Earwicker posted:

His wine venture seems kind of silly but I don't fault Maynard for spending time on Puscifer, the music they make is better than most APC songs.

I wouldn't pay to see Tool live these days but I'll give the album a shot even though 10k Days was mediocre. The vocals will suck but the music might be interesting if they decide to actually try something new.

"Parole" was a loving good album. Are people really saying Puscifer is bad? I guess I'm just really out of touch.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

Platypus Farm posted:

"Parole" was a loving good album. Are people really saying Puscifer is bad? I guess I'm just really out of touch.

Anyone that likes Puscifer absolutely has to watch their film, "What Is..." It's hilarious and a great concert video.

I hope us Midwesterners get some concert dates soon. I haven't seen Tool live since 1998. I'll be shocked if a new album is actually released in 2014, I mean it's only been 8 years. Anything short of brilliance is going to be viewed as a letdown.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Donkey Punch was pretty bad but everything else coming from Puscifer has been really good. Even the live album they put out recently was excellent.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I dont think I'd pay to see Tool live anymore. The last time I saw them, it was just ......bad. That being said, I actually thought 10,000 days was a fantastic album. Wings for Marie parts 1 and 2, the pot, and vicarious are some of my favorite tool songs ever.

Lateralus is still my favorite tool album, but 10,000 days was really solid for my tastes, dunno why it got so much hate to be honest.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

coronaball posted:

One can assume they'll be playing some new material from the upcoming album

The amount of times I've heard people say this before a Tool show.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

sleepingbuddha posted:

Anyone that likes Puscifer absolutely has to watch their film, "What Is..." It's hilarious and a great concert video.

I hope us Midwesterners get some concert dates soon. I haven't seen Tool live since 1998. I'll be shocked if a new album is actually released in 2014, I mean it's only been 8 years. Anything short of brilliance is going to be viewed as a letdown.

Oh wow, thanks for this. I didn't even know it existed.

I'd love to see Puscifer live, but they seem to only have these really erratic, weird tours. It's the only Maynard project that doesn't seem like a cynical cash grab these days.

edit: I think a lot of people thought 10,000 Days wasn't necessarily bad, it was just very "this is how you make a tool album" with almost a checklist of topics and song styles. Then again, my favorite is Undertow, so I'm not so big on their long, winding songs as I am on the tighter rock songs.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Platypus Farm posted:

edit: I think a lot of people thought 10,000 Days wasn't necessarily bad, it was just very "this is how you make a tool album" with almost a checklist of topics and song styles.

Exactly, it was Tool-by-the-numbers and while yeah a couple songs had all these very personal lyrics and whatnot about Maynard's mom, that's not really why I got into Tool- I like the combination of raw energy and technical playing on albums like Aenima and Undertow and while the technical playing is still there, the energy is just gone, and also Maynard's voice just isn't very good anymore.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 25, 2014

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Earwicker posted:

Exactly, it was Tool-by-the-numbers and while yeah a couple songs had all these very personal lyrics and whatnot about Maynard's mom, that's not really why I got into Tool- I like the combination of raw energy and technical playing on albums like Aenima and Undertow and while the technical playing is still there, the energy is just gone, and also Maynard's voice just isn't very good anymore.

Yeah, I can't think of another act that was so dependent on the singer sounding the way he did. Maynard's mixture of a very fragile, vulnerable-sounding singing voice and his super powerful yelling and punchy parts made those first three albums really memorable. By the time Lateralus rolled around, he was already having problems, and then with 10,000 Days, basically all of his range was gone.

I have absolutely no idea why, but this doesn't seem to be as much of a problem with Puscifer for whatever reason. Maybe the addition of different backup singers hides his lack of dynamics?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Platypus Farm posted:

Yeah, I can't think of another act that was so dependent on the singer sounding the way he did.

There are tons of bands who's sound is defined at least in part by distinct vocals. In some cases a singer can be replaced and it still works but there are tons of well known bands where the singer is kind of a key to their whole sound. Can you imagine Zeppelin without Robert Plant or Queen without Freddie Mercury? Alice in Chains was also very much defined by Layne Staley's voice and IMO all the attempts to replace him - even the one including Maynard - have sucked

quote:

I have absolutely no idea why, but this doesn't seem to be as much of a problem with Puscifer for whatever reason.

I think it's partly because it's a different style of music that doesn't rely on the same singing techniques as Tool and doesn't put the same kind of strain on his voice. Also I think on Puscifer he's actually into it whereas with Tool it's just a job, and that makes a big difference.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Earwicker posted:

There are tons of bands who's sound is defined at least in part by distinct vocals. In some cases a singer can be replaced and it still works but there are tons of well known bands where the singer is kind of a key to their whole sound. Can you imagine Zeppelin without Robert Plant or Queen without Freddie Mercury? Alice in Chains was also very much defined by Layne Staley's voice and IMO all the attempts to replace him - even the one including Maynard - have sucked

I think it's partly because it's a different style of music that doesn't rely on the same singing techniques as Tool and doesn't put the same kind of strain on his voice. Also I think on Puscifer he's actually into it whereas with Tool it's just a job, and that makes a big difference.

Oh yeah, good point. Haha, I can't believe I forgot Queen. But yeah, point well taken. I guess what I should have said is that I don't remember any other act that suffered so much when the vocalist's voice went to poo poo. Trent's voice is nowhere near as sharp as it used to be, but it doesn't seem to matter all that much.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Platypus Farm posted:

I guess what I should have said is that I don't remember any other act that suffered so much when the vocalist's voice went to poo poo.

I'd say Emerson, Lake, and Palmer suffered a lot from Greg Lake's voice going to poo poo, but the rest of their music did as well.

quote:

Trent's voice is nowhere near as sharp as it used to be, but it doesn't seem to matter all that much.

Trent was never a good singer in the first place. He pretty much just alternates between yelling and whispering and he can still do both well enough that it still works with NIN songs, he doesn't often sing actual melodies the way Maynard does and when he does they are very simple and don't have hard notes to hit. Although IIRC there are some songs he cannot perform anymore because he can't yell long enough.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 25, 2014

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I guess I just don't agree, vicarious sounds amazing to me, I love the end of the song especially. And the bit in wings for Marie when he says "give me my wings" was spectacular.

I'd even say it sounded better then most of undertow. :/ lateralus and aenima were better albums but undertow never really did much for me.

I'll probably be stoned now haha.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Platypus Farm posted:

Oh yeah, good point. Haha, I can't believe I forgot Queen. But yeah, point well taken. I guess what I should have said is that I don't remember any other act that suffered so much when the vocalist's voice went to poo poo. Trent's voice is nowhere near as sharp as it used to be, but it doesn't seem to matter all that much.

Robert Plant's voice started to age but then the band stopped. Also, Soundgarden is the poster boy for bands that relied on their singer's voice. And yeah, they still sound okay but Superunknown sounded amazing and he just couldn't do that for more than a year before his voice completely wrecked itself.

At least it's not so bad as the Adelaide show last year, Maynard had a cold (they moved the show back a day) and even then he couldn't do everything, he didn't even attempt the climax of Vicarious.

Shunkymonky
Sep 10, 2006
'sup
Last year I was able to do the Maynard Trifecta and see him in Tool, APC and Puscifer.

APC was just a festival show and was the usual. The most glaring thing for me anyway is that they didn't play Judith, but I guess seeing as how his mother is now dead he would prefer to retire it.

Tool was a huge arena solo show for a leaning towards stupid amount of money. They opened with Third Eye, which I know people say is rare, but they also opened with that same song the last time they played Sydney so I was a tad lovely since there's only the usual ~10 songs in a Tool setlist. Whilst Maynard had a sore throat as Lordpants said, he still didn't seem to be trying to reach the hard notes. The only 'new' stuff was some instrumental fillers and Danny doing an extended solo incorporating some new drum machine. In all, it was disappointing and I vowed - admittedly same as last time I saw them - that I wouldn't pay to see them again unless they had new material.

But Puscifer was something different. It was at a reasonably sized venue in Sydney which I had never been to in 'seated' mode. I got tickets as soon as they went on sale so I was second row but also unfortunately right in front of a speaker which was painful. Regardless, seeing the band and Maynard actually enjoying himself made it my favourite concert I went to last year. When he would come out the front and dance with Carina Round in his dapper suit it was glorious. Something about being that close to someone who was a huge figure in my musical formative years, enjoying himself and what he was doing, all coupled with the stringent no cameras policy making it that much more ethereal gave me shivers which my jaded self hadn't felt in years.

In all, it makes me wish he would just bite the bullet and quit Tool because he doesn't seem to be trying and its making GBS threads on their legacy, especially now that I know that he actually has an outlet that he can present to an audience and be proud of it.

LordPants posted:

even then he couldn't do everything, he didn't even attempt the climax of Vicarious.

Has he ever though? I saw Tool at the BDO right after the album was released and whilst he was the most active I have ever seen him with Tool he still didn't bother with the last bit, and nor has he in the two times I've seen them since.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

LordPants posted:

Robert Plant's voice started to age but then the band stopped.

IMO Plant actually learned how to use his older voice very well. I know this isn't a popular opinion but I actually like some of his solo work.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I agree with everything Shunkymonky said. Saw Tool, APC, and Puscifer in 2011, and Maynard really only seemed to care about Puscifer. Which is fine by me, because Puscifer are loving awesome, and when I saw them again last year, it was the same deal; loving fantastic show.

I am still looking forward to seeing them in Portland, and I'm going with a couple of people who have never seen them play, so it should be a good time even though the setlist and staging will likely be exactly the same as the last few tours. But whatever, they're one of my favorite bands, and one of my biggest influences musically, and I never pass up the opportunity to see them.

And I'm also not holding my breath for a new album.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

They played a loving amazing setlist (spoilers?) last year when I saw them and it was clear they were really enjoying it - Danny was having a blast behind the kit and was grinning constantly. Which is completely different to when I saw them in 2011 and they played a really boring, sterile set.

e: this is strange considering the above posters talking about the Sydney leg of the same tour being mediocre. No idea why?

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jan 28, 2014

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

What a strange opener for that Brisbane show.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Nam Taf posted:

They played a loving amazing setlist (spoilers?) last year when I saw them and it was clear they were really enjoying it - Danny was having a blast behind the kit and was grinning constantly. Which is completely different to when I saw them in 2011 and they played a really boring, sterile set.

e: this is strange considering the above posters talking about the Sydney leg of the same tour being mediocre. No idea why?

THAT WAS THEIR SETLIST.

Last year.

They've probably pumped out that exact set 50 times. Holy poo poo, they have the balls to play nothing new?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Opiate was for the first time in like six years or something. And before that Hooker was a nice new addition. So they do make slow, incremental changes but with so much good material it can be frustrating that they're not interested in putting together two full shows of material. I heard a story about someone running into Danny at a bar in Adelaide and they pretty much said "Yeah, we're doing it just for the money now :effort:"

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
I respect Tool for being able to rake in millions of dollars by pranking their fans into thinking they'll play a slightly different setlist than they've played since 2007.

It's funny that one of the posters above mentioned that they started playing "Hooker with a Penis," it's like they're being cheeky about the fact that they actually sold out.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

If they've sold out then they should put their albums on iTunes. It's kinda ridiculous you still can't get a digital download.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I thought 10,000 Days was one of the most boring albums I'd ever heard at the time. And at the time Tool was my favorite band. If they went back to doing stuff like Opiate or Undertow or half the stuff on Aenima, I'd care again. But Lataralus and 10,000 Days were both just long winded (with a couple exceptions on each album) and boring.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Slackerish posted:

It's funny that one of the posters above mentioned that they started playing "Hooker with a Penis," it's like they're being cheeky about the fact that they actually sold out.

How? The set I posted literally had no 10,000 days songs in it. The one they played 2 years earlier had 20% of the setlist from that album. How is it selling out by playing older poo poo?

I accept the argument that they don't rotate setlists, but I can't understand how you arrive at 'selling out'.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009
Because the song is very blatantly about how everyone is a sell out?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Pretty sure if Tool were real sellouts they would stop caring about whatever it is that stops them from having their poo poo on itunes or spotify or any kind of digital media at all really

What is their reasoning on that anyway?

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009
Maybe it's a hold over from all their record company drama back in the day. Pretty sure Maynard would love to throw it all up and use the proceeds to establish some kind of grape museum with rotating nude art installations.

numbs
Jul 20, 2013

by XyloJW
What Tool needs to do is get on Spotify!

numbs
Jul 20, 2013

by XyloJW

Earwicker posted:

Pretty sure if Tool were real sellouts they would stop caring about whatever it is that stops them from having their poo poo on itunes or spotify or any kind of digital media at all really

Perhaps iTunes and Spotify aren't willing to pay them enough to have them on their services. I wouldn't doubt that the band is still making sales.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

numbs posted:

Perhaps iTunes and Spotify aren't willing to pay them enough to have them on their services. I wouldn't doubt that the band is still making sales.

Spotify doesn't pay poo poo (like it's literally $.003 per play) but if they put their stuff on Bandcamp they would be getting plenty of money. If I sell a $10 album on Bandcamp I get $8.50 of it which is a pretty good deal as far as major digital distribution sites go

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 31, 2014

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

i am not so sure posted:

THAT WAS THEIR SETLIST.

Last year.

They've probably pumped out that exact set 50 times. Holy poo poo, they have the balls to play nothing new?

gently caress that was basically the setlist in 2006 and 2007.

I liked 10,000 Days a lot. But you don't need to tour in support of it for a decade. Get some new poo poo and stop making wine/Puscifer remixes/really bad APC songs Maynard. Or, as someone else suggested, just quit Tool and APC for good already.

quote:

How? The set I posted literally had no 10,000 days songs in it.

Jambi was on 10,000 Days unless I'm missing something.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Earwicker posted:

This kind of poo poo is never up to the artists. This is entirely the music labels doing.

• Locked thread