Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fromsinkingsands
Oct 10, 2005

Gotta find Jason.

coronaball posted:

But the second show isn't until tonight?

Yea, you're right. They temporarily had the 12th with the identical setlist listed as the 11th. Here's hoping they change it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

With the amount of lasers and video they throw up with every show, can they really deviate from the set list too much?

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

I'm absolutely loving the fact that in this wonky, crazy looking house, he has the "CAFE" thing on his kitchen countertop just like my 72 year old mother in law.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

hatelull posted:

With the amount of lasers and video they throw up with every show, can they really deviate from the set list too much?

Yes and no. They can make new setlists, but it requires programming all new video for each screen in sync with the music (set to a click track). It requires a fair amount of time that just doesn't exist mid-tour. Tours are a fuckton of work for everyone involved and everything is run a very tight deadline. However, why they didn't do that before the tour started is beyond me. Maybe because it originally started as only like 5 shows and blew up from there when they all sold out (what a surprise), or just pure laziness/not giving a poo poo. Who knows.

sursumdeorsum
Jan 10, 2010

Platypus Farm posted:

I'm absolutely loving the fact that in this wonky, crazy looking house, he has the "CAFE" thing on his kitchen countertop just like my 72 year old mother in law.

The house is staged, only the chandeliers and things "nailed down" are his.

Quartknee
Mar 20, 2009

FlyingCheese posted:

Yes and no. They can make new setlists, but it requires programming all new video for each screen in sync with the music (set to a click track). It requires a fair amount of time that just doesn't exist mid-tour. Tours are a fuckton of work for everyone involved and everything is run a very tight deadline. However, why they didn't do that before the tour started is beyond me. Maybe because it originally started as only like 5 shows and blew up from there when they all sold out (what a surprise), or just pure laziness/not giving a poo poo. Who knows.

Tool doesn't play to a click, and the video is mixed live (it's just not quite tight enough to be locked in to a time code). The amount of video content they have most likely dictates how many songs are on a setlist (along with Maynard), and probably a few floater video clips for songs like hooker and pushit that the band can rotate songs from night to night and the video can be re used in the same spot in the setlist. Tool is quite a production, but there's probably about twice as much light and video programming that goes into say, a NIN show.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

'same as it ever was' ...

The Houston show last night was very much a Tool concert. There were lasers, a talkbox solo, some confetti and a straight up drum solo. HP said it best.

Houston Press posted:

the most interesting thing about Tool right now is the fact that they've basically a '70s arena rock band that just happens to have better songs and technology.

Lots of bro hugs and black t-shirts. I paid too much for beer. This pregnant lady stepped over a row of seats to bitch at the guy in front of us about the smoke from the joint he just lit up and the fact that it was blowing back into her face. She "does not like that poo poo." Her husband looked meekly on, and really whose going to argue with a cranky pregnant woman about smoking a joint inside an arena?

hatelull fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 28, 2014

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Apparently there are still tickets available for the Tool show in downtown Phoenix tonight. I live about 5 minutes away, so I was considering going... until I looked tickets up and it's about $85 for floor seats. Even if they were actually playing new material I'd find it hard to justify paying that much for a 12 song set.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL
YOLO

T8R
Aug 9, 2005
Yes, I would like some tea!
Saw them for the first time in Mexico City. Amazing! Everyone was very excited and friendly. Almost everybody in the stadium was standing the whole show. Many of the songs it felt like the whole stadium was singing along. It was very fun, and the band seemed to love it too!

T8R fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Mar 28, 2014

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

Yarbald posted:

Apparently there are still tickets available for the Tool show in downtown Phoenix tonight. I live about 5 minutes away, so I was considering going... until I looked tickets up and it's about $85 for floor seats. Even if they were actually playing new material I'd find it hard to justify paying that much for a 12 song set.

What price did you expect for a major band in 2014? That's better than SF, which had a face of $90 and a stubhub price of like $160.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
So their explanation on the album delay is a lawsuit? I have a really hard time believing this.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/tool-explain-why-they-havent-put-out-a-new-album-since-2006-20140715

I've gotten into a few arguments with friends about this, who claim that I don't understand the artistic process because I criticized this excuse for the lack of an album for nearly 10 years. Tool is my favorite band, I'm literally wearing a Tool shirt right now but I'm criticized for being "entitled" because I'd like an album within 10 years or at least want to know the band was done? I'd rather have the band call it quits than this continual cocktease of a new album.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Tool always takes a long rear end time between albums and has been spreading misinformation to fans for literally their entire career. It's just part of what they do, seems odd to get upset about it at this rather late point.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind

sleepingbuddha posted:

So their explanation on the album delay is a lawsuit? I have a really hard time believing this.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/tool-explain-why-they-havent-put-out-a-new-album-since-2006-20140715

I've gotten into a few arguments with friends about this, who claim that I don't understand the artistic process because I criticized this excuse for the lack of an album for nearly 10 years. Tool is my favorite band, I'm literally wearing a Tool shirt right now but I'm criticized for being "entitled" because I'd like an album within 10 years or at least want to know the band was done? I'd rather have the band call it quits than this continual cocktease of a new album.

It doesn't make much sense, though Tool earlier was embroiled in a lawsuit with a record label - can't remember if it was Zoo or Volcano - that did delay the making of a new album considerably.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I just assume Tool is broken up until a new album is on shelves, at which point I consider it to be a reunion.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind

TheJoker138 posted:

I just assume Tool is broken up until a new album is on shelves, at which point I consider it to be a reunion.

I don't think Maynard has wanted to be in the band for the past 15 years or so. But something has to pay for that vineyard.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
Yep, the only reason Maynard does it is for the money. This most recent tour they did was purely to boost the finances. No new material. No new anything. Same old set.

He's always been that way though. Too cool for school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
I'm neither in law nor a band, but the idea that an 8 year-old lawsuit is keeping the band from making new material is laughable really. I don't expect Maynard to come out and say "I simply care about Puscifer and my winery!", but this is absurd.

My thread title is pretty funny at this point. It least it was half accurate!

• Locked thread