Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
I never liked the tweeting much, because you can definitely deduce things, or at least make assumptions about who makes it farther in the game, based on who doesn't like each other, or who is buddy-buddy with people.

(Tony)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Don't follow the contestants on twitter. Problem solved.

It's mind boggling.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

And quit posting their conversations in the thread. If we want to read them, Twitter is free

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

Met posted:

Don't follow the contestants on twitter. Problem solved.

It's mind boggling.
I don't have Twitter. Yet people like to share tweets. I'm not even complaining, but the tweets give away a lot.

So mind boggling :jerkbag:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Go read through the thread. drat near every prediction based on tweets was wrong. The same chance of being right as guessing blindly.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Asiina posted:

Uh, it's cause they were giving away show information through their tweets. Especially the ones where they addressed each other.

That is fair, but it isn't what was said:

"stopped watching after saw ontestants tweeting from home.. while show still on"

If they were complaining about what you are talking about and just aren't able to articulate, then cool.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Just listened to the RHAP episode with Tony, what a great interview.

I think he came off like a pretty cool dude, definitely has one of the best minds for the game I've heard based on their interview. When he tells a story of just one move or one little aspect of the game he rattles off like 30 different scenarios he considered before making his move. He cops to over thinking and over playing a few things in hindsight, but to me he kinda made Rob and Fishbach come off like amateur players they way he handled their reservations about his moves.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I'm only partially through the interview, but yeah so far it's quite amazing and any Survivor fan would be doing themselves a disservice if they don't listen to it.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
The top #1 winner of the top #1 season Chris Dougherty was on Historians a couple days ago. It was pretty glorious.

His story on what actually happens after the final tribal council is pretty drat funny. Also it turns out the tribe split wasn't originally supposed to be men/women: when they arrived to the tribal ceremony the locals split them up like that and the producers went "huh, I guess it's men vs women then".

A great listen.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

HUMAN FISH posted:

The top #1 winner of the top #1 season Chris Dougherty was on Historians a couple days ago. It was pretty glorious.

His story on what actually happens after the final tribal council is pretty drat funny. Also it turns out the tribe split wasn't originally supposed to be men/women: when they arrived to the tribal ceremony the locals split them up like that and the producers went "huh, I guess it's men vs women then".

A great listen.
I will never forget that season, and one of the first episodes where the tribes competed, and had to crawl across a rope or something and ~~Chris~~ completely blew it for the men. I remember thinking, poor guy, he's done.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
They asked him for two things he wants immediately after the game. He said a beer and a cigarette.

They gave him a beer with no opener and a cigarette with no lighter :laffo:

edit: I mean ok opening a bottle of beer is stupidly easy, but it's still funny.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

HUMAN FISH posted:

A great listen.
Do you have a link to this? I only listen to RHAP

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

maniacripper posted:

Just listened to the RHAP episode with Tony, what a great interview.

I think he came off like a pretty cool dude, definitely has one of the best minds for the game I've heard based on their interview. When he tells a story of just one move or one little aspect of the game he rattles off like 30 different scenarios he considered before making his move. He cops to over thinking and over playing a few things in hindsight, but to me he kinda made Rob and Fishbach come off like amateur players they way he handled their reservations about his moves.

It was interesting but I think that Ron and Stephen usually will say that they don't have all the information about what is going on, only what they are shown on TV. Tony seemed to expect them to have known about all his moves they didn't see and somehow magically factor that into their opinions of him. Once Tony explained the stuff they didn't see, they seemed to come around though. Even Tony said he would not criticize future players because he knows now that you don't see everything that really happens and it makes it hard to judge things as a viewer.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM

Lone Goat posted:

Do you have a link to this? I only listen to RHAP

Phone posting but it's on The Tribe feed.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
EW has an article up on six of the San Juan del Sur contestants, so full cast reveal can't be too far away

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

JOHN loving ROCKER :getin:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

sportsgenius86 posted:

Like a male version of Colton with muscles.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

sportsgenius86 posted:

God drat right. Pony, right there.

Edit: watching that video his girlfriend seems like an idiot. He's DEFINITELY an idiot, but I'm a Braves fan so I'm all in on him. Those twins are awful and I hate them. The boyfriends are just stunt casting and seem awful.

CAN WE GET SOME SEASONS OF ACTUAL FANS OF THE GAME PLEASE I SWEAR IT WONT BE BAD IF THEY ACTUALLY KNOW HOW TO PLAY THE GAME (see: last season).

SweetJahasus fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Aug 27, 2014

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
John Rocker + girlfriend will probably be the least annoying pair of the 3. I just hope the twins get booted out first.

Red_Museum posted:

EW has an article up on six of the San Juan del Sur contestants, so full cast reveal can't be too far away

The article states that the rest will be released later today. They clearly wanted to have the headlines to be focused on the 3 stunt couples.

GaussianCopula fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Aug 27, 2014

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
God drat you casting.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Hmm cast videos are out. I'm pretty repulsed by this cast.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

quote:

Making Exile Island even more brutal this time around is that your loved one will be sending you there after a one-on-one duel. “You’ve got to go up against your loved one and here are the stakes,” explains Probst. “Winner gets reward. Loser goes to Exile Island. Where it’s going to really suck. And it’s going to suck because you put ‘em there!”

That could be pretty interesting.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
The Exile Island twist is kinda meh. How do they decide which couple faces of? I expect the stronger part of most couples to throw the challenge to help out their weaker counterpart with the reward. And there will probably drama once the second person comes back from Exile Island and informs everyone about the idol clue.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

sportsgenius86 posted:

The racist redneck guy from the Braves??? :stare:

That's freaking insane.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ugh. After the bad people of the last couple of seasons of Big Brother I feel like the last person I want to see on Survivor is a known racist rear end in a top hat.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
For the non-sports fans, a brief sampler:

John Rocker posted:

"So many dumb asses don't know how to drive in this town," he says, Billy Joel's New York State of Mind humming softly from the radio. "They turn from the wrong lane. They go 20 miles per hour. It makes me want -- Look! Look at this idiot! I guarantee you she's a Japanese woman." A beige Toyota is jerking from lane to lane. The woman at the wheel is white. "How bad are Asian women at driving?"

John Rocker posted:

On ever playing for a New York team: "I would retire first. It's the most hectic, nerve-racking city. Imagine having to take the [Number] 7 train to the ballpark, looking like you're [riding through] Beirut next to some kid with purple hair next to some queer with AIDS right next to some dude who just got out of jail for the fourth time right next to some 20-year-old mom with four kids. It's depressing."

John Rocker posted:

On New York City itself: "The biggest thing I don't like about New York are the foreigners. I'm not a very big fan of foreigners. You can walk an entire block in Times Square and not hear anybody speaking English. Asians and Koreans and Vietnamese and Indians and Russians and Spanish people and everything up there. How the hell did they get in this country?"

I could go on, but you get the point.

Source: https://web.archive.org/web/20140528122001/http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/features/cover/news/1999/12/22/rocker/

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

And he's not just a racist, he's a tool and an idiot. He thinks the Holocaust would have been prevented by looser gun control.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Wow.

Who thought this was a good idea?

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists

BGrifter posted:

For the non-sports fans, a brief sampler:

I could go on, but you get the point.

Source: https://web.archive.org/web/20140528122001/http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/features/cover/news/1999/12/22/rocker/

I will be beyond excited if he goes on a reward that involves hanging around with the locals.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Here's a weird question.

For the people who don't watch Big Brother this season has a contestant named Frankie Grande, a gay failed former Broadway star whose main claim to fame is running a youtube channel that leeches off his famous sister Ariana Grande. A couple of times during the season Frankie has said he originally tried out for Survivor but got cast on BB instead.

Since the stunt couples are John Rocker, an Amazing Race team, and two Broadway gay guys did anyone else have the thought that Frankie may have been telling the truth and might have been the planned third stunt since the Grande thing seems to have more kick to it than "was in Wicked and Spider-Man on Broadway"?

And does anyone else find themselves really wishing Frankie had spent a few weeks with John Rocker instead of three months on Big Brother?

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Asiina posted:

Wow.

Who thought this was a good idea?

It seems to me you're underestimating the TV entertainment value of a psychopath. See: Coach.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

Here's a weird question.

For the people who don't watch Big Brother this season has a contestant named Frankie Grande, a gay failed former Broadway star whose main claim to fame is running a youtube channel that leeches off his famous sister Ariana Grande. A couple of times during the season Frankie has said he originally tried out for Survivor but got cast on BB instead.

Since the stunt couples are John Rocker, an Amazing Race team, and two Broadway gay guys did anyone else have the thought that Frankie may have been telling the truth and might have been the planned third stunt since the Grande thing seems to have more kick to it than "was in Wicked and Spider-Man on Broadway"?

And does anyone else find themselves really wishing Frankie had spent a few weeks with John Rocker instead of three months on Big Brother?

I doubt it. Frankie has this wierd condition about being cold, so he would die in a survivor situation as soon as the first rain falls. Additionally I dont believe that his sister would ever go on reality TV, atleast not in the next 3 years. She has an actual career and could be considered a star. Moreover Survivor never made a big deal of people that were the relative of someone but were more interested in women being in the shadow of their men (Monica in one world, Taj in Tocantins) as a character trait.

But this calendar year we will have 4 cops on BB and suvivor total (2 Cagayan, 1 each for BB and 1 San Juan del Sur).

Also 3 firefighers in San Juan del Sur, will it be the firefighter alliance?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

SweetJahasus posted:

It seems to me you're underestimating the TV entertainment value of a psychopath. See: Coach.
How do we know he's not going to be more like a steroid-fueled jock Colton.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Bjay9 posted:

I will be beyond excited if he goes on a reward that involves hanging around with the locals.

They'll edit out most of anything entertaining about it. It's not like they're going to show him doing his best Kramer impression shouting n-bombs at the locals.

SweetJahasus posted:

He's not the fun kind of crazy like Coach or Phillip, he's just an rear end in a top hat. :sigh:

Edit: We do need to be fair to Colton, he's nowhere near on John Rocker's level of racism/homophobia/etc. Next to Rocker Colton actually comes out looking pretty reasonable.

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists
Talking about Colton just makes me sad about Caleb :(

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Hey, quick request to whoever decides to make the next op:

If you're going to use Occ's "newbie guide," please for the love of Christ please edit it heavily since it's full of spoilers.

Or don't post it. You could always just not post it.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
This cast very much feels like a cast from the season 21-24 dark ages. What happened?? I watched the videos and most of them are pretty boring and just excited for challenges, combined with a big stunt casted "villain" who will be really uncomfortable to watch.

Val & Jeremy, and Jaclyn & Jon are kind of cute and might be good players, but who knows. Even if they are fantastic players, almost everyone else feels like a boneheaded dope who are just happy to be there. And as this season of Big Brother shows, if you put too many boneheaded dopes who are just happy to be there together you just get an unbreakable mega-alliance that never even considers turning on each other.

Based on their Amazing Race appearance, Natalie & Nadiya might at least be willing to stir the pot with big moves, though their video didn't exactly sell themselves as strategic players.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Propaganda Machine posted:

Hey, quick request to whoever decides to make the next op:

If you're going to use Occ's "newbie guide," please for the love of Christ please edit it heavily since it's full of spoilers.

Or don't post it. You could always just not post it.

How about instead of typing a thousand words about other seasons, instead point to suggested supplemental material like RHAP and Dalton blog, or whatever.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Lone Goat posted:

How about instead of typing a thousand words about other seasons, instead point to suggested supplemental material like RHAP and Dalton blog, or whatever.

Well, that's not the point, it was really more for jargon like HII or Pagonging, which neither of those cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Propaganda Machine posted:

Well, that's not the point, it was really more for jargon like HII or Pagonging, which neither of those cover.

Explaining some of the jargon is fine, but we definitely don't need three loving paragraphs about mactors.

Lone Goat fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 27, 2014

• Locked thread